Child sex abuse report finds "significant institutional failings" at English Football Association left some children unsafe

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It’s as bad in the US regardless the sport, even up to Olympic levels. I was a state & southeast regional ODP keeper for a few years growing up & regularly spent concerted time far away from home at camps. After I went to college, my mom did some research & found out that I attended camp with no fewer than four USSF coaches who were later arrested & sentenced due to child molestation crimes (this was in the late 80s / early 90s). Never knew the victims apart from a younger Floridian from another city, but it was shocking to find out that molestation was clearly around me & it was potentially known by USSF higher ups, yet nothing was apparently done until criminal investigations started.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
When discussing the general scope of the abuse with the inquiry, Gradi said "that he did not consider a person putting their hands down another's trousers to be assault".
What. The. feck!?

honestly, Crewe should be shut down. The amount of shit surrounding that club is disturbing. From 2019:

In the latest development in the Bennell scandal, Crewe’s lawyers have written to one of the victims to say there is “no reasonable explanation or justification” for him having waited until his mid-40s before reporting his former youth-team coach.
feck that club.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Anyone watching the BBC right now? Heartbreaking stuff.

Delano

Just watched all 3 episodes of the documentary. Horrifying how these scumbags got away with it, and absolutely shocking seeing the impact it had on the victims. So sad.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
The haunted look and tone of voice of those who've lived with this abuse for so long is shocking to witness, every time. With hindsight when you see the interviews they did as players in their 20s they're broken men, hiding the horror of it from the world. In particular I find Steve Walters' struggle gut-wrenching to see.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Just finished watching the last episode. It was disgusting how clubs were more bothered about someone finding them talent, than protecting the welfare of those kids. Crewe beggar belief and my opinion of them has sunk into the gutter. Agree about Steve Walters, that poor guy needs lots of support and thank goodness people will now believe them as they should have done from the start.