Chris Rigg | 16 year old midfield prodigy

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Chris Rigg is a youngster who I mentioned on the site earlier this year as someone who really impressed me playing for Sunderland at youth level. He's since been promoted to Sunderland's first team and became their youngest debutant at 15 and goal scorer when he scored recently against Southampton in the Championship at 16 years of age. Both United and Newcastle tempted him with offers according to various reports but he was persuaded to stay put by Sunderland. His family are said to be Newcastle fans.

Rigg is a young player who comes across as having the maturity of a more senior player. His touch, technique and composure is absolutely fantastic for a player so young. And I'd say he's on his way to becoming a tempo controlling metronome in midfield with big EPL clubs likely making a move for him before he turns 18.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Are you the guy that likes a chat or not? I always forget

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Now we’re aware of him he’ll be at City within the hour

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
This guy has been on the radar of several premiership clubs for a few years now.

Decent player with plenty of potential but have seen this before thousands of times, needs to stay put for the next season or two otherwise he'll be lost in the graveyard of young players not getting game time.

AltiUn

The logical next step for him could well be a Brighton, Dortmund or Leipzig.
Considering Newcastle’s new aggressive youth recruitment policy I’d be shocked if he didn’t end up there, he’d actually be smart to stay at Sunderland, their academy restructuring has been remarkable, a few years ago they were one of the worst U18 sides I’d ever seen, last year they were littered from top to bottom with talent. Seriously impressive work from whomever is running their youth programme.

Borninthe80ts

I’ve had my eye on him and a few others for the last year or two as well. England seem to be producing them more regularly now at youth level. He seems to like to get forward from the little I’ve seen of him too. Got great timing arriving late in the box.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Considering Newcastle’s new aggressive youth recruitment policy I’d be shocked if he didn’t end up there, he’d actually be smart to stay at Sunderland, their academy restructuring has been remarkable, a few years ago they were one of the worst U18 sides I’d ever seen, last year they were littered from top to bottom with talent. Seriously impressive work from whomever is running their youth programme.
The Saudis have come in and provided the funding for the staffing and structuring to take place. Honestly it's not a big deal to get that right if the owners are ambitious.

The recruitment at the club is still being led by Steve Nickson who was working at the club under Mike Ashley's ownership. And since the Saudis have come in, Nickson and his team have had a bigger scope to select targets which has made the difference. Nickson is the one who is running their recruitment and was directly involved in signing players.

Glorio

Are you the guy that likes a chat or not? I always forget
No offense to the other guy but this is extremely harsh on @Adnan - who if I'm honest, is one of the posters I rate the most. Very knowledgeable, balanced, and definitely "into discussion" ;)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
No offense to the other guy but this is extremely harsh on @Adnan - who if I'm honest, is one of the posters I rate the most. Very knowledgeable, balanced, and definitely "into discussion" ;)
I was only kidding, @Adnan is a great poster

Borninthe80ts

Although it might seem a bit corporate from Newcastle I can see there strategy paying dividends in the next 5 years. It’s like they’ve taken the template of success from City and Chelsea and gone full revamp.

If they can garner some success in the next two to three years then other more established star names might see them as a viable alternative to the the traditional top teams. By this time the youth their hovering up will be in and around the first team.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
The Saudis have come in and provided the funding for the staffing and structuring to take place. Honestly it's not a big deal to get that right if the owners are ambitious.

The recruitment at the club is still being led by Steve Nickson who was working at the club under Mike Ashley's ownership. And since the Saudis have come in, Nickson and his team have had a bigger scope to select targets which has made the difference. Nickson is the one who is running their recruitment and was directly involved in signing players.
Thought academy recruitment at Newcastle was handled by Paul Midgely, yet another ex City employee??

AltiUn

I was referring to Sunderland’s youth set up, it’s impressed me a lot in the last 2 seasons considering where they were compared to where they are now.

Torino

Supports
Newcastle United
It’s an open secret Rigg will end up at Newcastle, his family and him are massive toon fans. Good idea for him to get some first team experience with Sunderland as a 16 year old. A couple of youth scouts I know think he’s the best in the country for his age group, we’ll see if he keeps on developing.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Thought academy recruitment at Newcastle was handled by Paul Midgely, yet another ex City employee??
Their head of youth recruitment is Paul Midgely and you're correct he joined from City. But that was after they first failed to land United's head of youth recruitment David Harrison and then Dan Rice from Southampton who joined Everton instead.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I was referring to Sunderland’s youth set up, it’s impressed me a lot in the last 2 seasons considering where they were compared to where they are now.
Sorry mate I misunderstood what you meant.

Agreed, they've not only improved their academy but also their first team. And that likely has to do with their new ownership who bought out the club in it's entirety last summer.

lysglimt

Scout
Have to agree with you - the season prior to us signing Pye and Hugill was the worst ever at that level. I can't recall if they lost all their games or if they picked up a point in one of their last matches but it was pretty bad

georgipep

Sorry mate I misunderstood what you meant.

Agreed, they've not only improved their academy but also their first team. And that likely has to do with their new ownership who bought out the club in it's entirety last summer.
Change of ownership last summer can't have anything to do with their academy producing top talent.

In Rainbows

One of our youth coach's son looks like a prodigious midfield talent. Will have to wait and see how he pans out as he's too young to name and discuss.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Change of ownership last summer can't have anything to do with their academy producing top talent.
Let me correct myself.

There wasn't a change of ownership last summer but rather the new ownership took their shareholding to a 100% by buying out the remaining shares in the club. Kyril Louis-Dreyfus is the owner and and he became chairman in 2021 and the Sunderland Echo credit him for their up turn in fortunes.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I went to uni in Sunderland, loved it and a great area with very passionate funs. Off topic I grant you but I'm glad they seem to be getting their act together.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Watched him the other day for England, didn't really stand out. Then again England were quite poor overall.