Chris Smalling | Roma player

Classical Mechanic

He is, especially if there is any kind of press. As someone who watched his first two seasons at Roma, I don’t agree he’s been as amazing as described here. Think he’s made many costly mistakes. Also he’s been out for injuries a lot. According to transfermarkt, 249 days at 12 occasions in 3 seasons.
Indeed. He's still pretty shite. Tomori is also overhyped because people don't watch him that much and he's playing at a lower level. Watch his games against Chelsea for reference.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I underestimated Smalling when he was at OT, I thought his grabbing opposing players when defending corners was too blatant to be missed when VAR came in, but unfortunately Maguire seems to do the same now.
Was always a silly opinion to hold as he’s since proved

A-man

Indeed. He's still pretty shite. Tomori is also overhyped because people don't watch him that much and he's playing at a lower level. Watch his games against Chelsea for reference.
Players are often considered amazing when they have left the club…

A-man

I underestimated Smalling when he was at OT, I thought his grabbing opposing players when defending corners was too blatant to be missed when VAR came in, but unfortunately Maguire seems to do the same now.
The unexpected twist was that his grabbing didn’t create penalties, but if I’m not mistaken he had three handball penalties called out by VAR in the same season.

Stacks

I have watched most of Roma's games over the last couple of seasons and in the middle of a back 3 Smalling is immense. He has a goal in him and is dangerous from set pieces and is better on the ball than his reputation suggests, not that he is Messi or anything but he is quite capable of playing out from the back. With Southgate preferring a back 3 Smalling would be a natural fit and is frankly in better form than any other English CB right now but I am not kidding myself, GS will never admit he was wrong and recall him despite the CB position being the biggest weakness in his squad. I can say without any doubt he is levels above Mings, Coady and Maguire to name a few of the Championship level clowns keeping him out of the team.
Many defender looks great in Serie A. We put six past them no?

autte

Supports
Poggibonsi
Smalling has been great, especially in the last two seasons.

Many defender looks great in Serie A. We put six past them no?
You can thank Paulo Fonseca for that. Roma were up 2-1 at half time. A miraculous result considering that Roma were forced into three first-half substitutions (Smalling also was coming back from a month-long knee injury). Probably would have lost anyway (the second half of that season was a disaster, Fonseca was a dead man walking), but a competent coach has to read the game, has to adapt, maybe play a bit more conservative. Fonseca is the type of guy who's obsessed with possession-based football, his teams can't grind a result out. Roma kept playing suicidal football (like Di Francesco's Roma at Anfield) and collapsed by conceding 5 goals in the second half. Cavani's brace came from a 3v2 counter-attack 3 minutes into the second half...

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
You don’t understand how little I’ve rated Lindelof since day 1, I’d take a wheelie bin over him
Ten Hag has managed to get a tune out of him, something he hasn't managed to get out of Maguire.

When Maguire came back into the team, I honestly thought that Ten Hag's coaches would have helped him learn how to play football, he's a lost cause. Lindy's a decent defender and he's not let us down whilst Varane has been out. You know that Maguire would have let us down every time he played.

You're being too harsh on him, my friend.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Ten Hag has managed to get a tune out of him, something he hasn't managed to get out of Maguire.

When Maguire came back into the team, I honestly thought that Ten Hag's coaches would have helped him learn how to play football, he's a lost cause. Lindy's a decent defender and he's not let us down whilst Varane has been out. You know that Maguire would have let us down every time he played.

You're being too harsh on him, my friend.
I’m really not

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He makes himself look good? I know you’ve struggled with CBs for a while but he has rarely even “looked” good. Was always great to see him in the starting line up. Smalling had some errors in him and was a little clumsy at times but for the purpose of defending, he was far better than Lindelof.
Lindelof is shit, but you should take a look at his performance thread where his fanboys try to convince people he’s good because his stats look great and people claiming that he didn’t make a mistake all game because nobody got past him.

He’s one of the biggest fraud in the team.

autte

Supports
Poggibonsi
Can't really blame him. He was gassed (still hasn't missed a game) from carrying the defense on his back, and Osimhen scored a banger. Without him it would have ended 0-4.