Christian Eriksen | Signs for Inter

Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Eriksen might want to sign for Spanish 2, Juventus but they should also be interested to pay fecking huge money in wages to sign him. As it is they are not ready to pay 50 million to sign him, maybe they don't rate him as much as PL clubs.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
All I’m saying, become a top class player. Then when Manchester United knock, I think you’d feel differently.

I can’t stand the idea of playing as Liverpool or city on FIFA even. But if they offered me a football contract, I’d think twice.

United start from base in the PL next season like everyone else. Defence is absolutely fine now for the first time since we had Ferdinand. De Gea in the sticks. Attack needs maybe one star. The midfield is the stand out weak area. Eriksen knows if he joins Pogba in that CM, United have a shot.
I think your biggest problem is your attack TBH, Maguire is a good CB but no where close to Rio quality, asking Wan Bissaka to perform constantly is a lot to ask. Again as you say its all about what perspective you look at, I don't think we will be that great either unless we improve.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Liverpool were in a far worse situation than us a few years back, but they attracted the players and a manager to put them in their current position because they're a big club. It happens.

We didn't link ourselves with Eriksen, the press did. We're just speculating on the rumours, the same as you.
Show me all these elite clubs that are desperate to sign him and you might have a point, I can't say I've heard of any bids. One of your examples earlier was Madrid, who seem to be in absolute turmoil at the moment.

It's a gamble if he comes to us, but it's also a gamble if he runs his contract down and doesn't have offers from the suitors he wants.

It's probably all bullshit anyway.

Liverpool attracted a big name manager (which is a different situation to attracting a big name player, and Klopp is clearly someone who genuinely wanted a project) but then slowly built up under him and didn't really sign any big name players .. mostly 2nd/3rd tier talents who they scouted and developed well. They couldn't have attracted somebody like Eriksen when they were first got taken over by Klopp (they probably still couldn't now) so they didn't bother trying to do that.

There doesn't need to be bids. He will be available on a free transfer in the summer. Elite clubs may not want to bid 50/60m for a player they can potentially get on a free a year later. I guarantee all the elite clubs will be putting in offers to Eriksen when he's available on a free contract, and he's not about to reject the chance to get huge signing on fees. There's no gamble when he would hold all the cards.

Madrid may be in turmoil but they still have CL football and a very recent history of winning the champions league. They're a more attractive option to 99% of players right now.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Why not do Levy a favour.

Throw 100m at him for Eriksen AND Alderweireld. Hell we could even capatilise on the whole Argie connection with Poch and give them Rojo too. Even throw Smalling in the deal. Hell even Darmian now they are short of a right back.
We would trim our squad whilst strengthening their depth. It would be a bargain on both sides.
If any of our lot dont want to move to Spurs then we just have to remind them of the Cathedral City stadium they will be playing in every week to twist their arm.
"Hey mate, I noticed you need new wood for your garden fence. You want these rotten pallets and old copies of Razzle?"

roonster09

Scout
You honestly don't think ANY of the Elite clubs will want him on a free...?

Eriksen - for FREE?

feck, he could even end up at City...
He might or he might not. Player of his quality would want to be starter and don't think he will be at City, Madrid, Barca. So they have to pay huge wages for squad player.

Suv666

Would be amazing if we landed Eriksen. One of the best mids in the league in his prime. Come on Woody! Do it!

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
The problem being we wont be competing against Spurs for his signature on the dotted line and how much they can pay in wages. We will be competing against the likes of RM, Barcelona, Juventus, who can offer just as much money as we can, if not more. And a much higher likelihood of trophies.
No, they really can’t. Barcelona are considering loaning out Coutinho just to get him off the books. Madrid have spend huge sums and have shown with their pursuit of Pogba (and their lack of pursuit for Eriksen this window) that the purse strings are well and truly shut, and Juve have gone back to looking at swap deals and signing freebies.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Sorry mate but that's absolute rubbish. You're changing the goalposts to suit your narrative.

I'm not going to debate with someone who is flat out lying.
None of what I said was untrue. Not a single word.

My point isn't United can no longer sign good players, it's that when United are up against Madrid, Barca, PSG etc, a vast majority of the time in your current state you don't stand a chance.

The examples you provided don't disprove that assertion at all.

roonster09

Scout

My point isn't United can no longer sign good players, it's that when United are up against Madrid, Barca, PSG etc, a vast majority of the time in your current state you don't stand a chance.

Except none of them are in for Eriksen and have shown 0 interest.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Pogba opted for United over Real Madrid.

lysglimt

Scout
I am fairly certain that Spurs will sell to us if:
a) We are the only team making an offer - the others might wait and hope to snatch him on a free in 5 months
b) The others make an offer substantially lower than us.

Of course it's not ideal for Spurs to sell to us - but it's less ideal to lose £60-70 million Pounds, when Eriksen in 5 months signs a pre-contract with a European top-club

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Barcelona or Real Madrid come in for a player we want, or have, I expect him to go there.

But you speak as though United are going to be brushed off.

United are still a huge, attractive club. I’m sure De Gea would be a Madrid player now if he wanted it badly enough. Pogba would have been, a lot earlier. Maguire could probably have joined Man City this Summer if had pushed it.

Manchester United will still attract the best players.
You're still an attractive club but you can't compete with some of the continental giants for the top tier players, simply because of your state on the footballing side of things.

Wasn't De Gea a fax machine away from a move? Madrid can't afford Pogba and City weren't prepared to pay the money for Maguire.

You can still attract very, very good players. But you're not number 1 choice for most of them.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Ibra, Falcao, Schweinsteiger: Past their best. Doubt you were battling with the very elite clubs.

Matic: Very good DM but never an 'elite' player. Chelsea were bringing in Bakayoko so not opposed to a sale, and who else was interested?

ADM, Sanchez: One who never really wanted to be with you in the first place and took the first opportunity to get to where he really wanted to be (psg) and the other who joined on a ludicrous contract so silly it upset the balance of your dressing room.

Pogba is the only one from that list who was a player in his prime who likely had other elite clubs after him. Although IIRC at the time Madrid were interested but not prepared to pay the fee.
Are you seriously playing down every single signing we've made post Fergie? Listen I agree we probably weren't Eriksen's first choice at the start of the summer and probably wont be a lot of elite players first choice but we're still a giant club and still have pull.

There were a lot of factors why Dybala weren't keen; leaving guaranteed league champions and UCL favourites (one of), leaving Italy for England, going to a club in the EL and not challenging for titles but those reasons aren't relevant when speaking about Eriksen are they? He's not leaving a club competing for titles (or any trophies for that matter), he's not moving countries, and while yes he may have been hoping for a Madrid or Barcelona he's still massively levelling up leaving Spurs for Man Utd in terms of the difference in size of the clubs and probably his wage.

roonster09

Scout
Madrid never submitted a bid for Pogba. Never. How can he reject a team who didn't even bid for him?

You were prepared to pay a record fee, they weren't.
:lol: They didn't bid as he didn't accept contract offer with them. Clubs don't make bids and then negotiate with players.

Bratt

Mate of mine works at Manchester airport and was told this morning they’re keeping a section of the north east runway clear for a private jet landing around 5 coming from Turin. He doesn’t know who’s on it
Mate of mine works at Manchester airport and was told this morning they’re keeping a section of the north east runway clear for a private jet landing around 5 coming from London. He doesn’t know who’s on it
:lol::lol:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Are you seriously playing down every single signing we've made post Fergie? Listen I agree we probably weren't Eriksen's first choice at the start of the summer and probably wont be a lot of elite players first choice but we're still a giant club and still have pull.

There were a lot of factors why Dybala weren't keen; leaving guaranteed league champions and UCL favourites (one of), leaving Italy for England, going to a club in the EL and not challenging for titles but those reasons aren't relevant when speaking about Eriksen are they? He's not leaving a club competing for titles (or any trophies for that matter), he's not moving countries, and while yes he may have been hoping for a Madrid or Barcelona he's still massively levelling up leaving Spurs for Man Utd in terms of the difference in size of the clubs and probably his wage.
I'm putting them in to context. And again, I never denied that you have pull .. I'm denying that you have enough to get Eriksen.

And no, but there are a lot of different factors with Eriksen, with some like your lack of CL football still remaining. He's also likely wanting to move to a club which guaranteed trophies because he's never experienced that at Spurs so United aren't exactly going to be top of his list. And you may be a much bigger club with more money, but he can go for a much bigger club, with more money, and win a shit ton of trophies if he waits another year.

Pace Abuser

No English club can compete with Barca and Real, none. When we were on top and Real weren't, they took Ronaldo. They have a duopoly to maintain this status quo to the detriment of the league.

Imagine if we only had two out of the top 6 that were elite with a bunch of also rans. Those two teams would become magical with all the success and world class oozing out of them.

We have a much better league, with a more even spread of talent and the tv money.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
:lol: They didn't bid as he didn't accept contract offer with them. Clubs don't make bids and then negotiate with players.
Evidence that Pogba rejected Real, please?

Everything I saw that summer basically pointed towards them simply not having the funds/not being willing to break the record transfer fee for him, whereas United were prepared to do that.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Except none of them are in for Eriksen and have shown 0 interest.
Elite clubs will be in for Eriksen if he's on a free. Pretty much every big club in the world will be putting out contract offers in that scenario.

Even if they aren't and we imagine that one of the best attacking midfielders in the world is struggling for offers, why choose United now when he can wait a year and get a huge signing on bonus whilst potentially considering other offers?

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
No English club can compete with Barca and Real, none. When we were on top and Real weren't, they took Ronaldo. They have a duopoly to maintain this status quo to the detriment of the league.

Imagine if we only had two out of the top 6 that were elite with a bunch of also rans. Those two teams would become magical with all the success and world class oozing out of them.

We have a much better league, with a more even spread of talent and the tv money.
Thankfully there are more than just 22 elite players.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
To the level United are willing to pay? No chance. You know this, you just don't want to admit it. Wanting your current club with whom you have a very good relationship with to get a fee and the chance to replace you this window isn't emotional guff either. Again you know this but don't want to explore that possibility.
What? Why wouldn't he? He'll be available on a free transfer. Aaron Ramsey just got ludicrous money because he was on a free, and probably a huge signing on bonus to boot. Why would United be paying far more than other clubs, especially ones like PSG?

He has a good relationship with us, but not to the point where he'll turn down the chance to earn millions more because he can basically get a transfer fee as a signing on bonus. He doesn't love us that much.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
No, they really can’t. Barcelona are considering loaning out Coutinho just to get him off the books. Madrid have spend huge sums and have shown with their pursuit of Pogba (and their lack of pursuit for Eriksen this window) that the purse strings are well and truly shut, and Juve have gone back to looking at swap deals and signing freebies.
You are focused on one half of the equation, wages and monetary gain. There is also that little problem of trophies, and in our current rebuilding process it's not something we can guarantee. Certainly not on the level of RM, Barca, Juve.

I guess at a stretch as a third or fourth option for Eriksen I can kind of see it. But some things still dont add up, he could just wait out another year at Spurs, he is out of contract and a free agent and can orchestrate a move to one of the Spanish giants or Juventus. Hell if he just wanted wages he could go warm City's bench and pocket a fortune, probably win a trophy or two as well.

RedTechsture

Supports
Shrewsbury Town FC
Elite clubs will be in for Eriksen if he's on a free. Pretty much every big club in the world will be putting out contract offers in that scenario.

Even if they aren't and we imagine that one of the best attacking midfielders in the world is struggling for offers, why choose United now when he can wait a year and get a huge signing on bonus whilst potentially considering other offers?
You HOPE!!!!
The desperation in your voice/shpiel for this not to happen is palpable.
Never read the same regurgitated rubbish over and over and over again so much in one thread

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
You're still an attractive club but you can't compete with some of the continental giants for the top tier players, simply because of your state on the footballing side of things.

Wasn't De Gea a fax machine away from a move? Madrid can't afford Pogba and City weren't prepared to pay the money for Maguire.

You can still attract very, very good players. But you're not number 1 choice for most of them.
If it was a level playing field then no. But it isn’t. We can pay more than all of them right now, and if these huge clubs were truly interested in him then why is he still at Spurs with 2 days of the window to go? Who is going to replace from these sides? How are they going to afford him? Both Spanish clubs have just had an enormous restructure this window and he’s still at Spurs with 12 months to go of his contract.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Barcelona or Real Madrid come in for a player we want, or have, I expect him to go there.

But you speak as though United are going to be brushed off.

United are still a huge, attractive club. I’m sure De Gea would be a Madrid player now if he wanted it badly enough. Pogba would have been, a lot earlier. Maguire could probably have joined Man City this Summer if had pushed it.

Manchester United will still attract the best players.
So then why aren’t you?

Or why aren’t you signing them?

Harsh reality but this squad is faaaaaar away from a collection of the worlds best footballing talents.

DSG

To me, this whole Eriksen thing doesn’t pass the smell test.

It seems Levy is using the press to try and push Eriksen to United. Why do I say this?

First, the offer from Real for Eriksen never materialized. Secondly, we weren’t really linked with him until the last 48 hours or so. Thirdly, the most recent reports “sources say” most definitely are coming from the Spurs because they are out of options. Even saying that Levy would “reluctantly sell to rival clubs.” A United club source would never say that, period.

Finally, at 27, he’s a bit older and Ole and the club have stated that they will emphasize younger targets.

I just don’t buy it. I highly doubt Eriksen is coming and I wouldn’t pay more than 30m if he did.

Treble

Eriksen would be a top signing: creates goals, scores goals, works hard. And is 27 y.o. which is ideal for a midfieder. Make it happen!

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
No club in the world stands a chance against Barca and Real. Even in our prime we didnt have the pulling power they had. PSG offers insane cash otherwise PSG vs Utd is debatable.
PSG vs United isn't debatable, it's very clear PSG are more attractive .. and yeah, obviously the money is a huge part of that but it's a factor which exists.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'm putting them in to context. And again, I never denied that you have pull .. I'm denying that you have enough to get Eriksen.

And no, but there are a lot of different factors with Eriksen, with some like your lack of CL football still remaining. He's also likely wanting to move to a club which guaranteed trophies because he's never experienced that at Spurs so United aren't exactly going to be top of his list. And you may be a much bigger club with more money, but he can go for a much bigger club, with more money, and win a shit ton of trophies if he waits another year.
Maybe he doesn't want to wait another year though? Maybe in his head he's already checked out of Spurs. The other Spurs fan (apologies I cant remember which one) agreed he's played like someone who doesn't want to be at Spurs during your pre-season games

Again we might not have been his first choice but if he wants out of Spurs this summer it's not like he's swapping Spurs for West Ham, he's still massively levelling up

roonster09

Scout
Evidence that Pogba rejected Real, please?

Everything I saw that summer basically pointed towards them simply not having the funds/not being willing to break the record transfer fee for him, whereas United were prepared to do that.
Although Pogba was under consideration by Madrid, the Spaniards never made an official offer for the player. Even so, Zidane has confirmed that ‘conversations’ took place.

"It could have happened," Zidane told French radio show RMC. "There were conversations but it didn’t go ahead."

Pogba’s agent, Mino Raiola, also confirmed last August that Madrid had been interested in signing his client.
"Zidane wanted him at Real Madrid but there were another five or six clubs following him as well,” he said. “Manchester United are now a lot stronger thanks to him, whilst Real Madrid are not.

"I never spoke about the market with Pogba whilst he was playing at the European Championship, and then he went on holiday because he was very disappointed.
"It was only when I arrived in Miami was it when things were put in motion. He explained to me what he wanted. Manchester is his home."
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...madrid-zinedine-zidane-transfer-a7351656.html

Zidane confirmed in 2016 that they spoke to Pogba and then his agent confirmed more than once that he wanted to return to ManUtd.

Pogba's agent Mino Raiola, meanwhile, has previously claimed that Zinedine Zidane was keen to take the 23-year-old midfielder to Madrid.

"Zidane wanted [Pogba] beside him," Raiola said. "Zizou was a great player and Real Madrid are a big club, but, for me, Manchester United are stronger with Pogba. Real Madrid would not be."
https://www.espn.in/football/soccer...barcelona-and-real-madrid-for-man-united-move

And then there are few more interviews.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You HOPE!!!!
The desperation in your voice/shpiel for this not to happen is palpable.
Never read the same regurgitated rubbish over and over and over again so much in one thread
You can't hear my voice .. I'm typing.

But yeah I'm absolutely terrified, even though in another thread I clearly expressed I'd rather sell Eriksen to United and get him replaced this summer than lose him on a free. I'd honestly rather he went to you, I just don't think it's remotely a possibility and believe that your fans are deluding yourselves in to believing it is.

roonster09

Scout
Maybe he doesn't want to wait another year though? Maybe in his head he's already checked out of Spurs. The other Spurs fan (apologies I cant remember which one) agreed he's played like someone who doesn't want to be at Spurs during your pre-season games

Again we might not have been his first choice but if he wants out of Spurs this summer it's not like he's swapping Spurs for West Ham, he's still massively levelling up
It's not other clubs will be in for him either. Madrid, Barca have many midfielders that they even loaned out or trying to offload few. Juventus have signed shit loads of free transfers already for midfield position.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

He probably doesn't want to injure himself in a pre-season game when the potential was still there for a summer move. And regardless of whether he's checked out of spurs mentally (potentially he has) that doesn't stop him running down only one more year of his contract and then moving on.

Massively levelling up? In terms of wages and club size, sure. But he's also stepping down to the Europa League and moving to a club where the top two trophies (league, cl) are not a realistic possibility in the near future.

roonster09

Scout

Maybe because he doesn't want to take risk? One bad tackle and his career is over and he can forget any big contracts.

De Gea also signed new contract with Manutd when he could have waited for 6 months and signed for Madrid on free transfer.

roonster09

Scout
He probably doesn't want to injure himself in a pre-season game when the potential was still there for a summer move. And regardless of whether he's checked out of spurs mentally (potentially he has) that doesn't stop him running down only one more year of his contract and then moving on.

Massively levelling up? In terms of wages and club size, sure. But he's also stepping down to the Europa League and moving to a club where the top two trophies (league, cl) are not a realistic possibility in the near future.
Yeah sure, 2 years back everyone was predicting Liverpool to win CL. It was so easy to predict the future.

Norwegian_

Eriksen have Norwegian manger in the national team, soon Norwegian manger in PL. He is definitely coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.