Christian Eriksen | Signs for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coops73

Nah! Plus coming from that transfer podcast pair of idiots I really doubt the validity, castle’s and McGarry just hate United but love to talk about us just to take the piss, I suspect that this was mentioned as a slight towards United.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Its a no for me. When he left spurs i thought we were missing out, but at the wages he'd demand, i really dont see him being good enough to get minutes here. Would rather VDB gets those minutes.

dinostar77

Not loan deal i see making sense and if i were DVB i would be requesting a transfer out if erikson was to come in. We are overstocked in that area anyway.

I know they said that Ole was keen to do the deal. Dunno what that says about DVB.

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending
A loan for 6 months isn't the worst idea, especially if Inter are paying most of the wages.

Also allows us to off-load Lingard and still have competition for places.

Although Spurs fans have often said he isn't good enough for a team like United. Goes missing when you need him etc.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Maybe Donny is worried about his place at the Euros for Holland and looking to get out already. He is barely playing any football so he's hardly going to be in their starting 11 is he?

Eriksen in that case could be a short term solution. That's just a theory though of course but I don't buy into this Doony needs to be patient BS. He doesn't look happy at all and I think he will look to leave soon.

People behind the scenes at our club really need to stop buying players our managers don't want. Happened with LVG, Jose and now Ole.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Agent rumours trying to cook up a move IMO.

He's still a good player but just not somebody we need.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Maybe Donny is worried about his place at the Euros for Holland and looking to get out already. He is barely playing any football so he's hardly going to be in their starting 11 is he?
He wasn’t in their starting XI before he joined, anyway. He was/is typically first midfield sub.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Literally 0% chance of this happening. We are stacked in his position. It's so unlikely to happen you could happily just lock this thread now tbh.

UpWithRivers

Dont get it - What do you loose? If he comes and does well then bonus. If not he doesn't play and leaves in summer. It's not gonna happen but Id quite like to see a team of Erkisen, Pogba and Fernandes. Maybe the number 9 will finally get service.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I think people forget that while at Spurs he played 134 games as a wide attacker in a 4231. 142 games as an attacking midfielder. His best numbers (goals/assists) came as a right winger. If we are interested, it is to play him on the RW. Maybe he would be a more natural alternative to Bruno too, but that is not why I think we could be interested.

It is a bit surprising that so many people seem to consider it far fetched.

A) He was a regular and a key player for a very good PL/CL-side for several years,
B) He is versatile and has played a number of games as a wide attacker in a 4231, including RW (where we lack people),
C) Still just 28!
D) He is basically free and highly motivated to prove himself,
(E) There is a Scandinavian-connection. Might not mean anything, but OGS could ask his old friend Hareide about Eriksen.)

If his legs/motivation turns out to be gone it will not matter much at all to us. We will not be any worse of than we are (maybe £2 mill). If they are not, and we get him back to the level he used to be, we could go from zero RW to one of the best in the league (made the team of the year in 17/18 and played most of the minutes as a RW that season).

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
There’s about as much point to this as the ball Inter won’t let him near.

Why would we want him?

Withnail

I'd take him on loan. If he can come in and perform anything like he did at Spurs in the odd game to give Bruno a rest it makes sense.

If he's rubbish just send him back in the Summer.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
This would be an inspired loan with nothing to lose and everything to gain. I don't think he's the player he was and he may never find that form again but even if we get 50% of that he's going to be a useful squad option to allow us to rotate in the second half of the season. I'd argue if he came in and even provided one match-winning goal or assist he would be worth the cost in wages for 6 months. On the slim chance he did refind top form we could sign him and have another top player, its a no brainer.

SuperiorXI

He is past it, no thanks. A shadow of his former self nowadays
He's obviously made a really bad move, no way he declined that quickly. He's in his prime years.

Think he'll go somewhere and light it up again, but don't think United is the right move. As others have said we're stacked there so he'd be a bench player.

SeanyC

I think people forget that while at Spurs he played 134 games as a wide attacker in a 4231. 142 games as an attacking midfielder. His best numbers (goals/assists) came as a right winger. If we are interested, it is to play him on the RW. Maybe he would be a more natural alternative to Bruno too, but that is not why I think we could be interested.

A) He was a regular and a key player for a very good PL/CL-side for several years,
B) He is versatile and has played a number of games as a wide attacker in a 4231, including RW (where we lack people),
C) Still just 28!
(E) There is a Scandinavian-connection. Might not mean anything, but OGS could ask his old friend Hareide about Eriksen.)

If his legs/motivation turns out to be gone it will not matter much at all to us. We will not be any worse of than we are (maybe £2 mill). If they are not, and we get him back to the level he used to be, we could go from zero RW to one of the best in the league (made the team of the year in 17/18 and played most of the minutes as a RW that season).
We don’t need him and if we did go for him, VDB will be pissed; seeing this fella get on ahead of him will no doubt push him out the door. I think competition for places in midfield is nice but we have enough as it is at the min. Go get a defender and an out and out striker. Even if it is still only 2 Million or 10million it’s a waste

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The story is bollocks but if Ole refuses to use DVB, one has to think.

dinostar77

C) Still just 28!

The right wing is a good point. If he was bought in on loan to play there then that could work. There are 12 days left in the window, and inter are desperate to get him out even on loan. If i remember the podcast correctly inter offered him to utd and we offered a very low ball loan offer.

I suppose another way to look at it is, what if he came in and helped us secure the league. Would any of us then be complaining. He was class for spurs, good passing, good vision and good from setpieces. Almost sounds like a younger Mata.

Craig Ward

Personally, i'm not in favour of this move.

Eriksen needs regular game time to produce his best form and we can't offer him that.

He's a #10 - nothing else. He could play deeper or RW but surely that defeats the point of having him on the books by playing him out of position.

For #10 we have Bruno and Donny as a backup, Pogba can play further up as well.

There's not a need within the squad for Eriksen

dinostar77

Personally, i'm not in favour of this move.

Eriksen needs regular game time to produce his best form and we can't offer him that.

He's a #10 - nothing else. He could play deeper or RW but surely that defeats the point of having him on the books by playing him out of position.

For #10 we have Bruno and Donny as a backup, Pogba can play further up as well.

There's not a need within the squad for Eriksen
You missed the post above where someone mentioned he played 134 games off right wing for spurs. Thats why we are most probably interested in a loan deal.

Craig Ward

You missed the post above where someone mentioned he played 134 games off right wing for spurs. Thats why we are most probably interested in a loan deal.
But he's not a RW, you cant change that.

Same way Mata and Lingard aren't yet we keep trying them there. We have to change.

Pointless signing a #10 to play out of position.

Eriksen COULD play there - but why would we try that? He's not a winger. Just sign a bloody winger.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Almost sounds like a younger Mata.
You could say that. I think in 17/18, when he made the team of the year, he was often put up against KdB (he is actually younger than KdB). I think he looked a bit like Beckham when he played wide that season. A playmaker from the right. Lacking pace, but hard-working.

UmbroDays

It’s a no from me.

Our midfield is packed and we have two youngsters on the brink of getting a chance into our 1st team squad.

The right side can be filled with 4 different 1st team players and I don’t think Eriksen betters any of them.

We also have VdB that we haven’t purposefully utilised, so I’ll prefer to use what we have and save some £££ for Sancho or Haaland (ha) in summer.

dinostar77

But he's not a RW, you cant change that.

Same way Mata and Lingard aren't yet we keep trying them there. We have to change.

Pointless signing a #10 to play out of position.

Eriksen COULD play there - but why would we try that? He's not a winger. Just sign a bloody winger.
We have two young right wingers who need time to settle in and develop out of the limelight. Do you really think after spending £50mil on right wingers the Glazers are going to give the green light to sign another one? Of course they won't.

Eriksen is a attacking midfielder capable of playing as a 10 and wide right midfielder. Beckham was never a winger he was a wide right midfielder. Eriksen did really well for spurs off that position. A 6 month loan if it happens gives utd time to assess him. Plus with his ability hes one more player with an ability to open up a defence with a pass or a cross.

He doesnt have the pace that Ole wants in his counter attacking game, however when teams sit deep and dont allow any space in behind thats when having players like him proves useful. City at their best had a ridiculous bench, why shouldnt we?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
If we didn't already have Bruno and VDB, it'd be a decent short term move, but I don't see how we fit him in, particularly when VDB already can't get a sniff.

Unless he'd be shunted out wide, which is where the gap is, but I'd rather we keep giving Greenwood minutes out there, and perhaps even Diallo.

Judas

Open to offers
If we didn't already have Bruno and VDB, it'd be a decent short term move, but I don't see how we fit him in, particularly when VDB already can't get a sniff.

Unless he'd be shunted out wide, which is where the gap is, but I'd rather we keep giving Greenwood minutes out there, and perhaps even Diallo.
Can he not got a sniff, or is he simply just not deemed suitable right now? Maybe with a more trusted player they'd see more action. I'm not writing VDB off, its massively early days for him here.

I don't think there's anything in this to be honest, just playing devils advocate a bit.

Tallis

We have two young right wingers who need time to settle in and develop out of the limelight. Do you really think after spending £50mil on right wingers the Glazers are going to give the green light to sign another one? Of course they won't.

Eriksen is a attacking midfielder capable of playing as a 10 and wide right midfielder. Beckham was never a winger he was a wide right midfielder. Eriksen did really well for spurs off that position. A 6 month loan if it happens gives utd time to assess him. Plus with his ability hes one more player with an ability to open up a defence with a pass or a cross.

He doesnt have the pace that Ole wants in his counter attacking game, however when teams sit deep and dont allow any space in behind thats when having players like him proves useful. City at their best had a ridiculous bench, why shouldnt we?
You’re making a lot of sense but noone wants to listen as everyone has their pre conceived notions

MiracleInMadrid

Great goal from him to decide the Milan Derby last night. Conte was quick to praise him and assure that he is a part of his squad. Although, Conte also mentioned that they need Eriksen as an alternative to Brozovic. So Eriksen still cannot be sure to play continuously this spring.

Given that Eriksen is set to play the Euros partly at home in Denmark, I would think that he is still pushing for a move this january.
For the same reason, I don't believe that he will fancy a move to United. He needs to play, and at the moment he won't get anywhere near of replacing Pogba and Bruno. We could use him to rotate those two, but in that case Eriksen would be in a similar situation now in Inter.

The way Ole sets us up in most matches, I don't think he would fancy Eriksen as a wide right-sided midfielder.

I just don't see it happening. To many elements talk against it.

LuckyScout78

He does still has a high level. Personally Eriksen is a kind of player i would use the words pleasure to watch. His pass foot, with both feet, football vision and intelligence. Make him 1 out of a million. Eriksen is a unique player. He is so precise with one and few touches football. And Eriksen is a kind of player Harry Kane and attacking player will love to play with. He will feeds you with consistent passes and service on high level. His creative is really high. A baller and footie player.

If he can come to United on free transfer. I think it can turn out to be a good deal and decision. His consistent high quality of service. Even Bruno will be hard to match. Personally i think Eriksen is even more precise with the ball than Bruno.
Eriksen is such a guy it is easy to like Kante and Scholes. Those players dont talk a lot. But they let theirs feets talking. Eriksen is that kind of player.

I can see him suit in as RCM option in a 433 formation. Like this:

Raphinha - Eriksen(8) - Fred - Bruno (8) - Rashford/Sancho + Ronaldo/Rashford . There you have a good 6 line up good enough to battle for league title with a complete solid backline and goalkeeper behind them and with a strong squad depth of course.

Eriksen high ball skill level would suit Raphinha, Bruno, Rashford, Sancho and Ronaldo. All those boys are capable of playing on a really high precise attacking football.

And about how long Eriksen can keep playing? If he can keep hold on with the intensity of premier league. What he has showing of his comeback so far. Eriksen has always been easy on the toes player. Like Modric. So i can see Eriksen keep paying on the top level to 35. He is so precise with his right foot and passes. So he will make the ball run with his precise passes.

United might be without Champion league next season. Eriksen can be a right solution and decision. Make a team and squad that are challenging for premier league as long as possible.

Then bringing on such a high qualities level of attacking and creative players like Eriksen and Raphinha. United will become one of the team that will score most in the league.

Rashford or Ronaldo as CF will score 20 + goals plus next season. If United and the new manager bring on Eriksen and Raphinha.

With the consistent high quality of service from Raphinha, Eriksen, Bruno and Sancho. I can promise Rashford or Ronaldo as United CF in a 433 will score over 20 goals playing regular over 3000 minutes.

Every success behind a CF is = consistent top quality of service. United CF will get this from adding Eriksen and Raphinha to the team. 100 % convinced about that.

crackers0seven

We should definitely be ask him if he's interested. Very good player and would be a great option in squad,plus he always seems to be great professional and we need as much of that at utd these days as possible. We our squad decreasing massively this summer we would be silly not to at least try. Definitely upgrade on Jesse and mata. Can actually take set pieces and cross the ball. And is free. Too much sense for us the be interested.

LuckyScout78

One year contract with option for another year can be a contract solution. We never know. But.

Eriksen has lift Brentford and ran a lot. 2 x 90 minutes. 1-4 against Chelsea.

One of my favourite player on his peak and i do really enjoying his comeback.

Eriksen football intelligence, understanding and vision. And the way he play football with both feets = pure pleasure to watch. And not so much noises from this guy. Easy to like.

If Eriksen keep playing like this next season + United bring on Raphinha. Great attacking time is coming and waiting at Old Trafford next season.

You kidding me. The creative and service of Bruno, Eriksen and Raphinha = chances, chances, goals and goals.

danamann

Last thing we need is giving out another huge contract to a midfielder who at 30 is only going to decline. He is also not what we need at all with his lack of aggression and athleticism. Hard pass for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.