Christian Eriksen | Signs for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
He's played for Tottenham...they are in the CL...they are in London where he's comfortable in. I think Spurs will beat us to this signing
He played for them for 7 years and won squat. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to come into Manchester United, a club that will be rejuvenated under a brilliant manager and Eriksen can play a huge part in that, earn good money and be adored by millions. Our fans underrate us too much because of the last 10 years but we still are and will continue to be the biggest club in the England and one of the biggest in the world.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Let’s wait til he’s actually managed a few games in the job before we anoint him the messiah.
He knows his stuff meaning he knows how he wants to play and if Eriksen fits that then I'm fine. Eriksen has the skillset to drop deeper and control a game and the more players like that we have esp against low block defences and against the City and Liverpools where we often lack control the better.

jamesjimmybyrondean

He played for them for 7 years and won squat. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to come into Manchester United, a club that will be rejuvenated under a brilliant manager and Eriksen can play a huge part in that, earn good money and be adored by millions. Our fans underrate us too much because of the last 10 years but we still are and will continue to be the biggest club in the England and one of the biggest in the world.
It's not of thought that Spurs are more attractive because of CL football. I've seen enough proof that we can get top players without cl. It's the part where he wants to remain in London that makes me think Spurs has the edge

mad1max954

So De Jong- Eriksen pivot in a possession heavy set up?
The great Barca team had xavi, iniesta and busquets. We would need to find out busquets, which is no mean feat, but in principle you could have erikson and de jong in the middle absolutely. I think they would absolutely boss it too!

AndyMUFC

De Jong and Eriksen are proper footballers, I'd take him in a second.

Tavern in the town

The great Barca team had xavi, iniesta and busquets. We would need to find out busquets, which is no mean feat, but in principle you could have erikson and de jong in the middle absolutely. I think they would absolutely boss it too!
So just the small matter of finding the greatest defensive midfielder of all time and we can make it work. Sounds promising.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
It's not of thought that Spurs are more attractive because of CL football. I've seen enough proof that we can get top players without cl. It's the part where he wants to remain in London that makes me think Spurs has the edge
I think it won't be a problem in the end, Erik let him train at Ajax to get back in shape and knows Eriksen, Utd is a big pull and I'm certain he won't have qualms coming up to Manchester regardless of his preference.

Kag

I wouldn’t be upset by this, but people seem to be deliberately ignoring how bad he was during his final twelve months at Spurs. No guarantee, albeit a good replacement for the likes of Mata and Lingard.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I watched him the 15 minutes when he came on against Austria. He is somebody who is always available, playing simple passes to keep the flow but also has an eye for long and through balls. Not one ball given away. Of course this is only possible of the other players also move and are confident with the ball.
On the other hand I had the feeling he avoids all kind of physical challenges so if he comes he will take Bruno‘s spot in case he does not improve. De Jong, Donny and Eriksen in the middle sounds nice although a bit light defensively.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
a club that will be rejuvenated under a brilliant manager
I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment by anointing him as "brilliant". Its great to be positive but ETH hasn't even started pre-season.

mad1max954

So just the small matter of finding the greatest defensive midfielder of all time and we can make it work. Sounds promising.
Name me a championship winning team that didn’t have a top class defensive midfielder? It’s a position that desperately needs filling irrespective of setup if we ever want to get back.

tjb

Wouldn't be a chance at that. If this and FdJ are both an actual thing, I would imagine something like:
Ronaldo
Sancho Bruno/vdb Eriksen
De Jong - Fred or mctom​

Bruno/Eriksen interchangeable. But that's quite similar to what he did at Ajax, just flipped. Tadić on the left is like Eriksen on the right, Sancho on the left is like Antony on the right, de Jong the deep roaming playmaker like Gravenberch (or FdJ) was, his partner to just be a positionally sound ball winner, and then the #10 a hard working guy. He'll adapt a bit of course, and the fullbacks are definitely an issue, hopefully we do something there, but I can see him doing something like this. It's lacking some pace, but his teams never necessarily had players with great pace (or weren't reliant on that).
I can see this aswell, especially when you consider Bruno liking to drift and how attack minded he is. Rashford can come in for one of Eriksen or Sancho if pace is needed.

I think we have a decent team. I would love us to sign a replacement for Fred, but it's a tough ask to find quality that quickly especially given the market. FDJ fixes most of the midfield issues we have. Plus Fred has an argument that he would be much better if he was able to play as an 8 instead of babysitting his partner. Considering we also have Garner and Hannibal coming through, waiting it out might actually be a good thing

What's more important imo is getting a right back. We really need one, as that would actually help our build up and provide more energy on the flanks to protect our centre backs. I don't think any one of Maguire or Varane are bad centre backs, and I think Lindelof is a good back up. Giving them a chance with a better manager might help them.

ForeverRed1

Ridiculous statement considering O'Shea, Park, Cleverly, Welbeck and even Chicharito (over players like Berbatov) started so many games under Ferguson.
it isn’t all dazzle dazzle though is it? You can’t have 11 neymars. I’m sure he saw something in them that worked for him on the pitch. Definitely have effort for the shirt which is more than our lot.

tjb

I don’t see ETH opting for a one man midfield, though I haven’t watched FDJ much.

If Eriksen is signed, it will be as depth for #10 or a wide playmaker after moving on the likes of Mata and Lingard. We’re not going to ask him to reinvent himself as a box to box midfielder.
Spurs used this at times, particularly in the 352 under Poch.

Skills

Snitch
I wouldn’t be upset by this, but people seem to be deliberately ignoring how bad he was during his final twelve months at Spurs. No guarantee, albeit a good replacement for the likes of Mata and Lingard.
Yup and I don't believe he really impressed at Inter too.

He's got an immense engine though - and might actually be better off playing CM at this stage of his career.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I can’t see this happening but I’d be all for the signing. We’re losing a lot of experience this summer, and Eriksen’s a proper professional.

Free agent, what’s not to like.

TrueRed79

Spurs is a far more attractive proposition than us right now.
:lol:
Spurs will never be more attractive than us. Period.
I really am amazed at the amount of people in here that cannot spell his name. It's amazing.
We have plenty of room for a player like, Eriksen. For his set-piece quality alone i'd sign him. Would instantly be our best. Think about that.

Trex

I'll like that midfield duo, I've seen Eriksen play that role at spurs, I think its good to find the right balance but I think a lot of fans tend to think too defensively.

choccy77

If I were United, I would sign him ASAP.

We desperately need quality squad depth and if he is available for free... makes sense to try and sign him.

Meanwhile, if I were CE I may want to go to a smaller club and play weekly and stand out more perhaps.

Newcastle could be a good shout for him.

georgipep

it isn’t all dazzle dazzle though is it? You can’t have 11 neymars. I’m sure he saw something in them that worked for him on the pitch. Definitely have effort for the shirt which is more than our lot.
They started because the were selfless and worked for the team to serve specific TACTICS and GAMEPLAN. It wasn't just "line up your 11 best players on the field" as you suggested.

ForeverRed1

They started because the were selfless and worked for the team to serve specific TACTICS and GAMEPLAN. It wasn't just "line up your 11 best players on the field" as you suggested.
but that’s literally what I just said. It’s not all razzle dazzle. You can’t have 11 neymars. Read my post above. It’s about a system and mentality along with ability. Hense why if ETH wants him it’s because he fits the bill.

Being good enough isn’t just technical. It’s mentality, fitness, desire, passion. Everything.. you can have the best player with a crap mentality, which would make them not good enough.

georgipep

but that’s literally what I just said. It’s not all razzle dazzle. You can’t have 11 neymars. Read my post above. It’s about a system and mentality along with ability. Hense why if ETH wants him it’s because he fits the bill.

Being good enough isn’t just technical. It’s mentality, fitness, desire, passion. Everything.. you can have the best player with a crap mentality, which would make them not good enough.
And I'm saying that with Ferguson it was very much match specific tactics and ways to exploit the opposition. Not skills, mentality, etc. His entire squad was with the right mentality.

MalaysianRed7

No I don't believe a rebuild is happening this summer, but o don't believe that's because the Glazers have said so.

I don't believe they really get involved in the footballing side of things as granular as saying a certain player can provide cover for a another etc. I don't think they are knowledgeable enough for that.
I believe they do, or at the very least have lackeys for that. They have done nothing but cut costs and take dividends out. At the very least, the clowns will be aware that there is a Bruno Fernandes who has done moderately well over the past few years, thus doesn’t need to be helped (in their view). After all, Joel Glazer is apparently knowledgeable enough to have a favourite player at the club in Martial!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The AM role is arguably our strongest area of the squad. Granted we don't have a very strong squad filled with quality but we really don't need another AM.

Bruno, Donny, Hannibal as our main three with the likes of Sancho and Garnacho able to fill in too if needed is more than sufficient.

A very bizarre signing if we get him.
You say its strong, then list DVB who hasn't shown a thing yet and a couple of kids.
Plus Sancho will very much be needed wide.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
:lol:
Spurs will never be more attractive than us. Period.
I really am amazed at the amount of people in here that cannot spell his name. It's amazing.
We have plenty of room for a player like, Eriksen. For his set-piece quality alone i'd sign him. Would instantly be our best. Think about that.
Think there’s a reason we didn’t get Bissouma, unless we didn’t even enquire

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
You say its strong, then list DVB who hasn't shown a thing yet and a couple of kids.
Compared to other.areas of the squad. As we speak Fred and Mctominay are our DM,s and Dalot and AWB are right back.

Bruno Donny and a few others is a lot stronger for that role was my point.

AndySmith1990

He's probably right though, but that's more of a reflection of how weak the other areas of our team are rather than a statement that the AM position is packed with quality

redshaw

How many fullish games did he have for Brentford though? All this talk of a Bruno backup hasn't gone well for previous players. If Eriksen still wants to play regularly and featured a lot for Brentford then it might not be a good move to come here.

Mainoldo

How many fullish games did he have for Brentford though? All this talk of a Bruno backup hasn't gone well for previous players. If Eriksen still wants to play regularly and featured a lot for Brentford then it might not be a good move to come here.
Current Midfield options:

Fred
McTominay
Bruno
Van De Beek
Perriera

WPMUFC

I think this would be a great move. No doubt he be extremely useful and committed.

Not sure why folks(media) thought Eriksen would somehow signal moving on from fdj. I guess because they both vaguely are midfielders? :lol:

Redderp

So De Jong- Eriksen pivot in a possession heavy set up?
No. I’m Danish and have watched a lot of Eriksen games. They show all his games on TV here. Eriksen can only play in a 3 man midfield. He doesn’t offer much defensively. When he played for Ajax he played in a 3 man midfield alongside a CM and behind them a DM.

At Spurs he either played in a 3 man midfield, again a CM(like Dembele) and a DM behind them(like Wanyama and Dier) or he played on the right or left in a pseudo 3 man midfield. So you had Kane, Son and Dele Alli and behind them Eriksen, a CM and a DM. It was just slightly altered because Dele Alli played behind Kane. Eriksen would then drift in and change place with the CM or DM who would then cover the wing. So you would often see someone like Sissoko cover for Eriksen on the wing. It was all very fluid.

Later on he moved to Inter and played as LCM in contes 3-5-2 as a deep lying playmaker. Again with two other central midfielders alongside him

In Brentford it’s the same. A 3 man midfield with a CM and a DM, either in a 4-3-3 or a 3-5-2.

And lastly Denmark. It’s the same as Brentford. You have a CM(Højbjerg) and a DM(Delaney) next to Eriksen. Sometimes it’s other players, but it’s always a CM and a DM.

The only times Eriksen have played in a 2man midfield or as one player in a double pivot is when his teams are behind late and they have to get a goal. It was under Pochettino. He would then sub out the CM or DM for a striker or winger and move Eriksen into a 2 man midfield. But that was only late in games.

The only way i can see us lineup with Eriksen is if we play a 3 man midfield in a 4-3-3. Eriksen and McFred or hopefully Eriksen, De Jong and a new DM. That midfield would actually be the exact midfield Eriksen have always played in. The problem is that it would mean that Bruno Fernandes would have to play as one of the wingers. We can’t play with both unless that happens because Eriksen can no longer play on the wing and he offers close to nothing defensively. He runs a lot like other attacking midfielders and covers a lot of ground but he will not get stuck in. He rarely tackles, like i have legit never seen him do a sliding tackle. He even jokes a bit about it in a self deprecating kind of way because he is fully aware of it. It’s why he always plays alongside 2 other midfielders who can do the dirty work for him.

A funny thing is that an Eriksen, De Jong and a DM midfield would also be the exact midfield that Eriksen played with in Ajax. It was just another De Jong…

Last edited:

redshaw

I wonder if Ten Hag could have Eriksen with Bruno plus a more defensive/holding mid in a 3 man. For Sporting Bruno did a lot of work in midfield and had more long range efforts, he can play a deeper more pressing role.

Status
Not open for further replies.