Christopher Nolan

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
So far all his movies, that I've seen anyway, have been at least decent. I know some people find it uncool to praise him at this point, but he has been consistently good so far.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Bad productions no way but overrated ? Definitely yes.

Dark Knight Rises was a letdown with it's boring movie structure.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Script and funding?? When did we give a shit about that?

Well I know a fair few who aren´t quite there yet!
Always found it odd it didn't receive more praise, especially given how ridiculously hard it is to make a good Superman film. Thought Nolan's story was really solid and casting Crowe and Costner was spot on.

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
Momento - Great
Insomnia - Very Good
Batman Begins - Great
The Prestige - Great
The Dark Knight - Amazing
Inception - Amazing
The Dark Knight Rises - Very Good

In short, no.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Momento - Great
Insomnia - Very Good
Batman Begins - Great
The Prestige - Great
Inception - Amazing

In short, no.
His first film "Following" was also very good, despite virtually being zero budget. Even his film school short "Doodlebug" was quite good.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Revan would be here soon...

Anyway Nolan does blockbusters very well. Inception while not mind blowing or anything was a very well done action movie with enough mystery in it for the masses. Memento remains his best movie though.

penalty snot

Bad productions no way but overrated ? Definitely yes.

Dark Knight Rises was a letdown with it's boring movie structure.
I'd disagree he's overrated. I think he's at a perfect medium now where he can deliver his projects and gain the respect he deserves, away from the batman movies.

You'd need only look at The Prestige, Memento and Inception to see he's one of the very few directors willing to take a risk with original/different stories and deliver them in a way that allows the audience to think about the content while appreciating the aesthetics of the film.

Spoony

The People's President

Anyway Nolan does blockbusters very well. Inception while not mind blowing or anything was a very well done action movie with enough mystery in it for the masses. Memento remains his best movie though.
Following was very good as well. Not keen on the rest.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Interstellar with Matthew Mcconaughey due out later this year. Looks like another winner.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Thought Inception was an all time classic. Its ridiculously hard to pull off a story that complicated in film and have it come off as a work of art.

arthurka

Momento - Great
Insomnia - Very Good
Batman Begins - Great
The Prestige - Great
Inception - Amazing

In short, no.
Insomnia - ok
Batman Begins - Good
The Prestige - ok
The Dark Knight - Good
Inception - ok
The Dark Knight rises - so and so (ok-ish)

No bad movies there..

Duffy

His first film "Following" was also very good, despite virtually being zero budget. Even his film school short "Doodlebug" was quite good.
Not seen either, will have to check them out.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Following was very good as well. Not keen on the rest.
Batman begins was a great take on super-hero movies. The other two got hyped beyond belief and gets panned due to the same reason. Again decent blockbuster flicks when you consider the abomination other trilogies like Transformer etc are.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Man of Steel was OK, the rest of his movies vary from good to very good. Maybe one or two would be classed as 'great/amazing'.

Deleted member 78215

Interstellar looks like the bees' knees. The Bees' Knees.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
There was nothing in the least bit entertaining happen.
That's very subjective though. Anyone can say that about any film.

There are six fundamental categories (as i learned in film school) with which to evaluate films

Screenwriting/Story, Casting (acting), Directing, Cinematography, Production Design (includes effects), Post Production (includes editing and score).

Where, in your view, did Man of Steel miss the mark ?

Duffy

Insomnia - ok
Batman Begins - Good
The Prestige - ok
The Dark Knight - Good
Inception - ok
The Dark Knight rises - so and so (ok-ish)

No bad movies there..
My thoughts weren't hyper-bowl at all at least as far as I'm concerned, I truly believe they're that good and enjoyed them that much. Each of the films I listed I really have liked that much, obviously it's each to their own but the Batman trilogy and Inception are 4 of my favorite films. The others I really enjoyed. One of my favorite Directors.

stu_1992

Love Nolan's films, I enjoyed all of them if I'm honest. I don't include Superman since he didn't direct that. Can't wait for Interstellar, interesting idea coupled with the fact it has Matthew McConaughey as the lead (who is probably in the prime of his career atm).

phelans shorts

That's very subjective though. Anyone can say that about any film.

There are six fundamental categories (as i learned in film school) with which to evaluate films

Screenwriting/Story, Casting (acting), Directing, Cinematography, Production Design (includes effects), Post Production (includes editing and score).

Where, in your view, did Man of Steel miss the mark ?
It missed it's mark by not entertaining me in the slightest.

I'm not trying to be a professional critic, I just want one thing from movies. To entertain me. It failed in every aspect on that front.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not seen either, will have to check them out.
Following is particularly interesting because it showed Nolan's ability to master fractured timeline storytelling, which he then perfected in his next film Memento. At that point, most of Hollywood knew he had the one thing brilliant Directors have - the ability to masterfully tell a story irrespective of budget limitations.