City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
It’s not just that. City got busted once already and had their UCL ban revoked and fine reduced on appeal. There’s pretty good reason to be skeptical.

Although this time I do think the crimes are too severe for it to be brushed under the carpet. They’re fecked.
That was on a technicality, not because they were innocent.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Looks like the majority of the Premier League want them gone. Great to see. Honestly if they are found guilty they have to be relegated.

Fluctuation0161

I did t miss the point: I said they should be punished … but for lying, fraud, etc.

I said it was stupid of them to create false business fronts and break the law (because they probably did break general, non footballing law in doing this), because they should have just challenged FFP directly.
Regardless of what you think they should have done. The point is what they did, which was cheat, lie and try to cover up.

Cas18

Interesting watching sky sports news take on this which seems to be inferring along the lines of poor little City being bullied by the big boys cartel who wanted them investigated. Every hour they bring someone out to tell us how upstanding Pep is and that they've already been cleared by Cas but omitting that it was on a technicality. Anyone would think they had a vested interest in exonorating them.

Fluctuation0161

We were the biggest spenders but that doesn't drive up the prices and we were shopping for a whole new squad.

Are United of the last 10 years (biggest spenders) and def the biggest the last 5 years driving up the market now? The answer to that is equally a no. Did Paul Pogba drive up Bernardo Silva's price? Nope.
The logic that team x paid y for z means team a is going to have to pay b for c is false except maybe on the high end transfers.

Does Grealish going for £100m bump up the price of some other average winger? Or the average spend for wingers? I'd wager Antony still sets you guys back £70m or whatever it was.

Bayern won't stump up €60m for Cancelo and will make sure they get him for €40m or so come seasons end (maybe free if we have to void contracts), which is far less for example than you guys paid Palace for AWB (not trying to pick on you guys but you are big spenders and one of the only clubs to compare these kinda prices with). If we tried to buy Cancelo from Bayern (vice versa, we'd have to stump up a hell of a lot more).

Teams will pay relative to their budget, which is relative to their income (or in our case their fake income).

Theres a reason people say things like United tax, City tax, Barca tax etc.. and our teams constantly have to overpay for average players and its cause when wealthy PL clubs come knocking other clubs light up knowing they're getting paid. As the tv money gets bigger and bigger and the PL becomes stronger and stronger this will only increase, if the tv money was halved from next season, I guarantee transfer spending and prices would too, even if Todd Boehly is still going crazy.
By the sounds of it many of City transfer fees and wages could be hidden. Making the real spend even higher.

jm99

Arsenal make what now?
Current league leaders arsenal? Plus city would have a bit more sponsorship than them, 6 titles in the last decade means anyone who started watching football around 2010, is going to have grown up seeing city the way people who grew up in the 90s saw us

Kingofwinners

I have to wonder how the best city players feel about this. They are some of the best talents in the game and now their achievements are forever under a cloud. You might say it won’t bother them but I sort of feel at some level it must. Will they find it as easy to sign new top talent in the future, probably not. I also struggle to buy that Pep was unaware of all this….

On the punishment I can go either way on the stripping of titles.

Some dismiss the impact of a fine but a fine could be very material if it is on the club and tightly boxed in so the owners can’t just bail it out, if it is say all the dodgy money plus interest and penalties and all spend plus income for next 10 years is audited in real time by premier league/fa to ensure no future dodgyness that could really hit hard.

The precedent for relegating clubs and points deductions is very strong, also if penalties for breaking financial fair play are softer than those for clubs going into administration or otherwise running out of money etc. that is completely unfair and you have completely broken signals.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
How can any fan defend this? This is fraud. Open and shut case.

ExecutionerWasp001

They'd have to reign in the spending and probably settle for being title challengers rather than clear favourites every year, but they wouldn't go back to midtable without the oil money now
Abu Dhabi still account for around 20% of their revenues. The Etihad deal alone is £70 Mill per season. This doesn't even take into account the extra money Abu Dhabi put in to keep upgrading the campus & make illegal payments to players & staff.

If Abu Dhabi stopped investing this would lead to a huge loss of revenue which would translate onto the pitch. This would then make the club much less attractive to non related sponsors. The whole project then falls like a house of cards.

Fluctuation0161

Well, that’s the thing: I don’t care why transfers have ballooned or what people have to do to compete.

Either should FFP really. It was created to keep people from creating bad debt. The stuff I listed about people worrying it would be used to restrict competition, and the lawsuits that happened are all record.

If people want to cap spending, then cap it across the board.

It’s not like it was “fair” back when United were paying nearly 30m for Rio. Most teams probably couldn’t compete with that. The only thing that has changed on that front is the number of teams that joined the party.

People were GREAT with the idea of disparity when it was only their teams.
You need to watch this.

croadyman

Gonna sure be some damage to City players reputations,however still take a couple of them as willing to forgive their naiveness in joining

RedDevilRoshi

If City were to be kicked out of the Prem, would it be League 2 they have to restart from? Seen lots of folk online and journos saying it would be the Championship.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
How many City players are going to want to jump before they’re pushed at the end of the season?

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
what happens to the league as its stands this season if city are expunged?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Looks like the majority of the Premier League want them gone. Great to see. Honestly if they are found guilty they have to be relegated.
Poor Pep. His CL wins at Barca have asterisks because of Messi. And now even his English project has an asterisk.

Mister Asterisk

Fluctuation0161

You’ve got it backwards. The reason transfer outlay has ballooned is because clubs who are expected to balance their books are being forced to compete with teams who theoretically can’t go bankrupt, and as such you’ve got teams who’ve earned their money over decades like Barca actively destroying themselves to beat out the likes of City & PSG, and even financial titans like United bargain shopping for Burnley strikers because they’ve had to spend so much to catch up…. The reason United have spent as much as City IS a product of their financial doping. Not the other way around.

Not to mention that if a lot of these allegations are true, City have been paying people off the books, and therefore spending a lot more than is on the official record… that’s kinda the whole point!

Also, it’s sport, not ‘the open market’ …A department store might not get accused of financial doping when a billionaire ploughs loads of money into it, but a sports club in a league with a notion of fair sporting competition might.
Spot on.

jm99

Abu Dhabi still account for around 20% of their revenues. The Etihad deal alone is £70 Mill per season. This doesn't even take into account the extra money Abu Dhabi put in to keep upgrading the campus & make illegal payments to players & staff.

If Abu Dhabi stopped investing this would lead to a huge loss of revenue which would translate onto the pitch. This would then make the club much less attractive to non related sponsors. The whole project then falls like a house of cards.
They would fall significantly from their position but I think they would be comfortably top 4

croadyman

Grealish, KDB, Haaland, Alvarez
Genuinely Grealish would love coming here and think Erik could get more out of him,see the other two going to Spain though. Alvarez might fancy staying on in this country though.

Kylar Stern

If City were to be kicked out of the Prem, would it be League 2 they have to restart from? Seen lots of folk online and journos saying it would be the Championship.
That assumes the Championship agrees to take them; will they want to accept a season that essentially becomes a write off because a team that has regularly challenged for the biggest prizes in football blows through every team and takes away any semblance of competition?

cyberman

Current league leaders arsenal? Plus city would have a bit more sponsorship than them, 6 titles in the last decade means anyone who started watching football around 2010, is going to have grown up seeing city the way people who grew up in the 90s saw us
Regularly make CL you said? Arsenal?

Tony247

I don't have high hopes from the authorities as this has been a huge investment in UK. After Romam A kicked out I doubt they will punish another investor that too from a comparatively friendly country.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Just two teams get relegated
i meant more along the lines of what does it do to the points totals so far. for example we’ve lost 6-3 against them and beat them, so we’d lose three points but gain some goal difference.

jm99

Regularly make CL you said? Arsenal?
Fair enough maybe I've misremembered arsenal finishing higher than they did, but I think they'd still be a bigger team than arsenal are now without the Abu Dhabi money, more on the same level as Chelsea, their period of massive success from 04-12 ensured that they were a big club and attractive to sponsors

croadyman

i meant more along the lines of what does it do to the points totals so far. for example we’ve lost 6-3 against them and beat them, so we’d lose three points but gain some goal difference.
Yeah I see what you mean

bleedred

When I saw the news yesterday, the first thought much like others was that it was just going to be a slap on the wrist.

Looking at the charges and the developments over the past 24 hrs, it looks very serious. I think the fact this got so much attention means that PL do have to make a big call on this and cannot try to sweep it under the rug.

Also, even if city ending up with a fine or minor points deduction would mean that the charges are true and all their "success" is tainted which confirms what everyone knew already

brian017

If they did get expunged this season which is unlikely as this could rumble on. I imagine everyones games against City could be null and void, so it would be essentially a 36 game season

DanClancy

Well Chelsea and arsenal regularly do make the top 4 so yes, they would
Arsenal haven't made top 4 in in years and revenue from their stadium generates twice what City do. City without that money wouldn't be able to attract the players they have been and Manchester isn't London. Then there's the trickle affect financially of not winning leagues and possibly not making the CL every season.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Looks like the majority of the Premier League want them gone.
I'm not one for believing twittershite but it doesn't take too much imagination to think that most of the league wouldn't mind their relegation. All those hoping for a CL/EL place would consider their chances improved, and the bottom 10 or so that fear relegation might be happier if only 2 went down one season. All it would take is 14 clubs to vote them out and they would be out.

RedDevilRoshi

Just two teams get relegated
Probaly this or 4 championship teams are promoted (3 automatic & 1 playoff)

Although I wonder what happens to the relegated championship teams and the promoted league 1 teams. Does one of those promoted league 1 teams miss out on promotion to the championship?

Sgreddevil

You need to watch this.

Not trying to defend how chelsea and city have spent their money and ruined the game, but i don't think these numbers have been accounted for inflation impact. 100k 50 years ago could worth a lot in current days. Therefore, this chart will definitely be biased against recent years bigger spenders.