City Football Group acquisitions | 16th June: Serie B side Palermo about to become the 11th CFG club

NYAS

Not surprised. Noisy neighbour Qatar has had heavy involvement in Belgian football for the past few years.

RoyH1

"Welcome to the CFG family..."

If I cringed harder, my teeth would crush under the pressure

Zen86

Better them than us

The poster child for plastic clubs. They are everything they used to deride us for, and infinitely worse :lol:

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Why is it that one football club is allowed to be a mirror for a dozen other clubs? It isn't sport - I couldn't believe Watfird and Udinese were allowed to have the same owners but City owners are taking it to another, more sickening level.

Ace of Spades

This definitely is wrong, one owner should not be allowed to buy multiple clubs.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Didn’t Red Bull Salzburg and Leipzig have to prove they don’t have the same owner to compete in Europe?

padr81

Supports
Man City
They might kick us out of the champs league but we'll eventually have enough clubs to start our own one.

Son

Better them than us

The poster child for plastic clubs. They are everything they used to deride us for, and infinitely worse :lol:
This is the best comment I’ve ever read about City

At least people used to hate us.

They can’t even get that because no one respects them. It must be hard for their fans knowing they will always be in our shadow regardless.

onemanarmy

Didn’t Red Bull Salzburg and Leipzig have to prove they don’t have the same owner to compete in Europe?
Lommel is a very small club in the second league of Belgian Football. It's also a small town. I don't think they've ever played European football (would have to check) and I doubt they will play it soon.

I don't get the idea about buying Lommel. There are much bigger clubs in Belgium with a lot of tradition and fans in desperate need of money too.

SuperiorXI

Lommel is a very small club in the second league of Belgian Football. It's also a small town. I don't think they've ever played European football (would have to check) and I doubt they will play it soon.

I don't get the idea about buying Lommel. There are much bigger clubs in Belgium with a lot of tradition and fans in desperate need of money too.
It's just another string to the 'hoarding of players' bow. They probably got a great deal.

Matriac

But that's exactly why they didn't buy a bigger club. Cause they don't want anything to compete with City for European games (or they would have to sit out any way).

I'm certain this is to help facilitate loan options at different levels for experience, as well as an option to secure and stage Belgium youth before they are old enough to come to Manchester.

Plus in some ways it's an entry to do marketing/brand awareness for City within Belgium.

Their much publicized academy project is failing so now they're going out buying secondary clubs to farm their excess players out to instead.

Maybe they can buy an actual league somewhere so they can all play together and stop ruining the sport.

onemanarmy

Crystal clear imo - they're gonna invest in the clandestine XTC labs around the border, no two ways about it.
Yeah, just need to buy NAC Breda or VVV Venlo and you have a perfectly installed drug operation across the border.

flappyjay

City already have Girona I don't get why they need this one too. But if we had something like this Chong, Gomes and some other lads could have been playing men's football for 2 seasons at this point. La masia has Barca B and we got the reserve league

ASHWIT

They don't like to buy established clubs with any real history. It has to be all about them. I try to explain this to City fans who say the next, country or royal family will just, "Buy it off Mansour who'll make a healthy profit", if he ever gets bored. Nobody wants a second hand marketing tool that is already synonymous with another country, state, whatever or ruling family and especially not in the middle east. I also cant see Russians wanting to be seen to be piggybacking off another countries hard work. The best they can hope for is to sell it off in bits, which has already started but they wont add up to the sum of the whole and comes with a multitude of its own problems.

Reactions: Jippy

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Laundering

Tenth club: Espérance Sportive Troyes Aube Champagne

HJ12

And another

Edit: Sorry about the horrible formatting! Not sure how to get rid of the code without deleting the tweet.
Edit x 2: formatting fixed!

Last edited:

Matriac

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">City Football Group has today announced that Espérance Sportive Troyes Aube Champagne (ESTAC), in France’s Ligue 2, has become its tenth club, following DNCG review of the acquisition.<br><br> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ManCity?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#ManCity</a> | <a href="https://t.co/axa0klD5re">https://t.co/axa0klD5re</a></p>&mdash; Manchester City (@ManCity) <a href="">September 3, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And another

Edit: Sorry about the horrible formatting! Not sure how to get rid of the code without deleting the tweet.
Just put in url to the tweet with whatever accompanying text you want.

https://twitter .com/ManCity/status/1301459927710535680

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
They'll probably buy the club where Messi wants to retire at, if he's not feeling the vibe of going to New York. Maybe they'll build a new club in the Bahamas or Mauritius.

patty123

They might kick us out of the champs league but we'll eventually have enough clubs to start our own one.
Lommel SK v New York fc, yeah pretty sure 100,000 of thousands will pass on watching Barca v Utd, or B Munich v Liverpool to watch that game :lol:

starman

If they build these clubs up so they are completing in each countries top league (Europe), will they be allowed to keep them or don't they have to reduce their stake to 10% (I believe), is this their "investment" plan?

EDIT: Leipzig & Salzburg have managed to bypass any Uefa originally intended rules, will be a piece of piss for City..

Last edited:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I don’t understand this? What happens if they meet one of their teams in a competition?

monosierra

Why is it that one football club is allowed to be a mirror for a dozen other clubs? It isn't sport - I couldn't believe Watfird and Udinese were allowed to have the same owners but City owners are taking it to another, more sickening level.
Its an entertainment and marketing business that uses the most popular sport on earth as a platform.