Film Civil War 2024

Chumpsbechumps

I’m surprised I haven’t seen a review of this.

This is not an action movie, the trailers really is clickbait, promising the audience a movie they simply won’t get. It’s effectively a road movie following 4 reporters of different ages through a war torn USA. During the movie I kept waiting for the action to kick off which left me dissapointed. But as I settled into the movie and recalibrated my expectations, I got absorbed in the kind of unsettling way 28 days later (another Garland story) equally was able to do.

Without giving anything away, I think some of the criticisms , particularly about how the movie doesn’t look to show bias in any side, is actually one of its strengths.

I feel people want to hear what the movie has to say (maybe about Trump or woke etc) but that’s just part of the problem of society that the film is pointing out by not addesssing. It’s like people in football forum only wanting to hear and agree with those who want ETH sacked. People want to know what side the filmmaker is coming down on because they want to know if he’s on their side.

By not having a side, the message can be kept simple. War is horrible, there really is no need for it, certainly for a country like usa and nobody wins when we can’t even sort out our differences in a civil manner (instead of civil war). We don’t know how the war started in Civil War although one can engage in some thought experiments and imagine what horrible turn of events led us here.

I felt this was another strength of the movie. I’d say it would be a great movie to see how we got to where the movie starts but in many ways it’s more unsettling imagining how it might of happened, particularly as there is a certain potential American presidential candidate who has all the hallmarks of a dictator in waiting.

I found the moving unsettling on many levels. Probably moreso because USA is meant to be the beacon of Democracy to the world. To see it ravaged by civil war makes me wonder how countries in our kneck of the woods have adapted.

I give it 8/10. I really enjoyed it in an uncomfortable way. It left me thinking of all the things it left out, long after the movie was over.