Gaming Civilization V

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
I think I have BNW but not sure. What does it add?
If your game looks more bluish than green, you're using BNW.

A ton of things.. Basically rebalanced the whole game and added a lot of things like policy trees, archaeology, new civs, units, wonders etc.

Did a lot for the late game I think, which still always can get a bit tedious, but that's the nature of civ I suppose.
Doesn't it flesh out Religions as well as adding Ideologies?

I'm the same for Civ VI at the moment, I feel a bit bewildered by it and don't really know what I'm doing or how to react to different events within the game like I do in Civ V. I suppose that comes with experience though.

I'm currently in the process of winning my first Domination Victory on Immortal now with the Zulus, Impi are a ridiculously powerful unit. At least I hope I win, the top civ has a between 5 and 10 tech advantage at the moment, I think.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Can you set up online games with mates on an official copy? I might actually pay for it if so :lol:

soap

The Huns are absolutely lethal early-game. You can go on a virtually unopposed killing spree with Horse Archers and Battering Rams, depending on the terrain. I took 2 capitals on Immortal by turn 80!

Cloud7

Wish there could be a console port of Civ V one day, would probably burn even more hours on it :drool:

donkeyfish

The Huns are absolutely lethal early-game. You can go on a virtually unopposed killing spree with Horse Archers and Battering Rams, depending on the terrain. I took 2 capitals on Immortal by turn 80!
They're great on small maps. But incredibly tedious if you don't win early and have this outstretched, shitty empire that will never grow like you want it.

soap

They're great on small maps. But incredibly tedious if you don't win early and have this outstretched, shitty empire that will never grow like you want it.
Yeah that's sort of proving to be true. I've also managed to royally piss off most of the city states by being a war mongering cnut early so it's virtually impossible to keep them onside haha.

soap

I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of it... do any of you wanna set up a multiplayer game sometime?

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
How curious that this has been bumped. I ordered this game just a couple of hours ago, ahould have it by tomorrow. My first Civ game, so lots to learn.

Was about to buy it on Steam, but it was 30€ vanilla game. I got the GOTY edition on disc frm FNAC for just 17€

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of it... do any of you wanna set up a multiplayer game sometime?
It takes a while to play online from what I can remember. It's fun though, I had a few games with a few mates and it was a laugh. I won't be able to play for a few weeks as i'm going away, but can play late January if you want.

I don't have the expansion, just the original.

soap

It takes a while to play online from what I can remember. It's fun though, I had a few games with a few mates and it was a laugh. I won't be able to play for a few weeks as i'm going away, but can play late January if you want.

I don't have the expansion, just the original.
That's one of the reasons I'd rather play with people on here before Steam lobbies, I think caf will be more forgiving if one of us needs to pop out and resume later:D. Simultaneous turns should make it a lot faster. I haven't actually tried this before, looks like combat becomes a bit of a clickfest which may take a bit of getting used to.

I still enjoy playing against the AI but its weaknesses are becoming more apparent. About time I tried the Smart AI mod, Deity doesn't seem any smarter than Settler, they just get loads of gold/production and stronger troops. Morons lavished with gifts, essentially.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I've always thought that Civilization would benefit from having a learning AI network. Pick up info & strategies from players across the world, then put them together to create higher difficulties that aren't just the same difficulty with increased starting resources/technology.

Not sure how feasible it'd be, as a big game of Civ V has countless times more variables than Chess (perhaps it's more comparable to Go), but still... I'd like to see it in a future release.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I've always thought that Civilization would benefit from having a learning AI network. Pick up info & strategies from players across the world, then put them together to create higher difficulties that aren't just the same difficulty with increased starting resources/technology.

Not sure how feasible it'd be, as a big game of Civ V has countless times more variables than Chess (perhaps it's more comparable to Go), but still... I'd like to see it in a future release.
Game developers are far too lazy to consider something like that, trust me. ;)

AI tends is low on the list as it's not deemed an important feature. As long as its functional and not too buggy then that's all they care about. Hence why AI hasn't really changed since the early days of game development. Fear is often regarded the best game with AI and that was released back in 2005.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Game developers are far too lazy to consider something like that, trust me. ;)

AI tends is low on the list as it's not deemed an important feature. As long as its functional and not too buggy then that's all they care about. Hence why AI hasn't really changed since the early days of game development. Fear is often regarded the best game with AI and that was released back in 2005.
I get that for 99% of games, but for Civ? The AI IS the game.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
I'd agree, but given Civ 6 spent a lot of time trying to improve multiplayer features then I don't really think they'd agree.
True. I bounced off Civ VI pretty hard. Never even checked out the DLC in the end. Although I feel like I graduated from Civ V in a way, I still find it a more fun game to go back to.

donkeyfish

There's not any big competitions in Civ I think. I know they've tried to make engines for things like Dota, but that's just a much more popular game to compete in.

If there's ever big, competitive tournaments it'll also attract AI nerds.

More or less any game is suitable for AI experiments, at least neural networks.