CL/EL fan regulations - fairness issues?

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City

So, UEFA has given the green light for home fans in stadium up to 30% depending on local laws.

Now, as an example, Leipzig has been playing with up to 10k fans back so far and given that the East German regions continue to have low numbers despite second wave they probably will get the go to continue with that.

United won`t have fans back (government policy regarding sports until March), PSG neither, not sure about Istanbul but I don`t think so.
Now, 10 or 20% capacity doesn`t sound much but I`ve watched various Bundesliga games and it`s surprisingly loud, so has definitely crowd atmosphere (despite Leipzig having shit fans).
Is this not a big fairness issue? Leipzig will most likely have 3 home games with home fans and 3 away matches without fans.

Germany had the same discussion at the beginning of the season when the rule was to let local authorities decide. But for me there is a big difference of a varying amout of fans stretched out over a 34 games season vs. a clear loopsided situation in 6 matches that really count on going through.

Any thoughts and do you think clubs will complain about that?

Pagh Wraith

Not an issue for me. Let as many in as possible. We're talking about an advantage of something like 0.05 goals for the home team.

Charlotte Red Devil

So, UEFA has given the green light for home fans in stadium up to 30% depending on local laws.

Now, as an example, Leipzig has been playing with up to 10k fans back so far and given that the East German regions continue to have low numbers despite second wave they probably will get the go to continue with that.

United won`t have fans back (government policy regarding sports until March), PSG neither, not sure about Istanbul but I don`t think so.
Now, 10 or 20% capacity doesn`t sound much but I`ve watched various Bundesliga games and it`s surprisingly loud, so has definitely crowd atmosphere (despite Leipzig having shit fans).
Is this not a big fairness issue? Leipzig will most likely have 3 home games with home fans and 3 away matches without fans.

Germany had the same discussion at the beginning of the season when the rule was to let local authorities decide. But for me there is a big difference of a varying amout of fans stretched out over a 34 games season vs. a clear loopsided situation in 6 matches that really count on going through.

Any thoughts and do you think clubs will complain about that?
I think it could work to the advantage of the visiting team. Leipzig will be used to playing in front of fans in Germany so will be feeling no lift on the road, while visiting teams to Leipzig will get a lift from being in front of fans again, even if they are booing and harassing. That will surely get the competitive juices going for any player.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
What's to complain about?
Well it`s one thing if teams had to play in front of no fans for violation reasons (like racism) or if authorities had to act quick like in the KO stage last year with Covid starting. But with the new season this is basically an official regulation that teams will play with or without fans for reasons they have/had no control over. I understand that UEFA are in a lose-lose situation because the only alternative would be to ban fans for every game due to fairness. But I don`t think it`ll sit to well with some clubs that they have to play without fans while other teams in their group will have their matches with support.
I think it could work to the advantage of the visiting team. Leipzig will be used to playing in front of fans in Germany so will be feeling no lift on the road, while visiting teams to Leipzig will get a lift from being in front of fans again, even if they are booing and harassing. That will surely get the competitive juices going for any player.
I could see that reasoning for regular league games but CL is another matter. Teams will be fired up and I don`t think the away team will get more of a lift than the home team. Especially if the home team is chasing a goal.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Well it`s one thing if teams had to play in front of no fans for violation reasons (like racism) or if authorities had to act quick like in the KO stage last year with Covid starting. But with the new season this is basically an official regulation that teams will play with or without fans for reasons they have/had no control over. I understand that UEFA are in a lose-lose situation because the only alternative would be to ban fans for every game due to fairness. But I don`t think it`ll sit to well with some clubs that they have to play without fans while other teams in their group will have their matches with support.

I could see that reasoning for regular league games but CL is another matter. Teams will be fired up and I don`t think the away team will get more of a lift than the home team. Especially if the home team is chasing a goal.
We've literally got teams being ejected from competitions because of COVID out breaks.

Fans are the least of the issues.

There might be a big of a disadvantage to those teams that can’t have fans, including us. But to be honest, tough shit. If you took it to the extreme, and only one or two countries had restrictions, then would you ban everyone else from having fans.

Even if it’s not our fans, this is a welcome development.

Shiva87

Unfair - yes. But that's playing home and away. You get the rules of your home country. If no fans then no fans.

Home advantage will have a whole new meaning for a few clubs.