Classic Hurling Weekend

seanoc

Two great games this weekend, will be cheering on the rebels of course, I think we have enough to do em by 5 or 6 points. Hurling talk at gaa.ie message boards:

When I see lads swinging sideline cuts over the bar I always think of
millionaire professional golfers wigglin and jigglin and holdin their
heads still and addressing the ball and all that sh**e while some lad
holds up a big sign sayin "Silence" in case anybody would talk and put
him off and how many times do they hook it into a river or something? A
man like Adrian Fenlon can just take a race at it with a lump of an ash
plant and thousands of mad ho*rs screamin at him and he lamps it between
the posts, no bother and he's not holdin out his hand for a big cheque
for it.

That reminds me of the story about the big golf tournament that was
on the telly when Tiger or someone had a 30 foot putt to win the thing.
He sank it and the place went wild. Some fella turned to the GAA fan
beside him to say 'wasn't that amazing' and the response came - 'easy
enough when there's nobody marking you'.

Lynott

Review of last weekends encounter:

-----------

Cork Versus Wexford : Part 1
Part One of the Cork vs Wexford epic had all the thrills of a
big-budget summer box-office smash, and like all the best
blockbusters this one's TO BE
CONTINUED.

Croke Park was the backdrop for a mighty battle between the forces
of good and evil. From Cork came a band of heroic Rebels, their
hearts set on
hurling glory for the greater good and freedom from tyranny
for the citizens
of the People's Republic. They faced dark and fearsome
opponents, the Evil
Wexford Menace - agents of the Greater Dublin Empire and
the Leinster
Conspiracy.

Both sides played their part to perfection. Cork starred as the
young and hot-headed heroes, still with much to learn from their wise
old Jedi master
Donal O'Grady. Fate has chosen them for a special task:
they must conquer
fear and lead their people with courage to final victory.
Wexford played the
villains, kitted out in appropriately grotesque and
frightening costumes.
Their yellow-and-purple jerseys must surely be in
contention for some kind
of booby prize at next year's Oscars. And, in fairness,
they showed that
they can hurl a bit too. Like the Terminatrix, the Matrix
Agents or Jaws
himself, you can't turn your back on these Wexford boys for
a second (though
you might like to, rather than have to look at what they're
wearing).

To add an extra twist of drama, a referee who just happened to be
from Dublin threw whatever obstacles he could in Cork's way.
Several times poor
Joe Deane was clubbed to within an inch of his life by
Wexford Agents while
the referee stood by, cackling with malicious glee and
occasionally even
borrowing a Wexford hurley to get in a few digs of his own.
We can't yet
confirm rumours that the ref will take to the field wearing
a Darth Vader
costume for Saturday's sequel. But given that his whole
performance was
seemingly a tribute to the Star Wars dark lord, he might as
well go the
whole way. Hopefully Part Two won't end with Deano
discovering that Dub
referee MacSuibhne is actually his father, though. "Join me
, Joe, and
together we can rule the hurling galaxy"... it doesn't bear
thinking about.

Setanta Ó hAilpín added another goal to his growing tally
as once again he
shone as one of the Rebel Alliance's brightest stars. The way he
powered his way through the Yellow Belly defence to boot the sliotar
home was a
performance worthy of any action movie. Move the scene to
the top of a tall
building like the County Hall, add a few showers of sparks,
burst water
pipes and circling helicopters with searchlights and you've
got a perfect
heart-pounding film sequence. Setanta Ó hAilpín: the Last
Action Hero.

In the unfolding drama, two of the Cork 15 were given the chance to
redeem themselves for early failures. Diarmaid "Brick Outhouse" O'
Sullivan was
switched inside from left corner back, as Wexford Agent
Micheál "Air" Jordan
got the better of him in the early clashes. Sully's
difficulty had Cork
hearts in mouths, but after the switch his performance
against full-forward
Paul "Battered" Codd proved he is one of the worthiest
Rebels of all. In the
end it was a fine performance from O'Sullivan and the
Cloyne Colossus is
becoming a blockbuster veteran - earlier this summer he
appeared on our
movie screens as the Incredible Hulk. Meanwhile, Midleton's
Mickey O'Connell
surged through the Wexford ranks to score perhaps the
finest point of the
afternoon, and with this vital score came redemption for
his astounding
anonymity up until then.

With Cork's final point sending them three clear in injury time, it
looked as though the Rebels were to triumph on the day. But this
movie had a twist
in the tale. As shocks go, it was right up there with the
end of the Usual
Suspects or the death of Bambi's mother. Wexford's last-
second equalising
goal was an arrow through the heart of every Corkonian. But
even the most
die-hard Rebels had to admit that it was drama at its
finest. They'll be
showing replays of this one at the Film Festival in the
autumn.

And so Part One ended in crisis and tragedy, but with a spark of hope
for a brighter future. On Saturday our hurlers return to Croke
Park for Part Two,
their mission to put the Wexford Menace to the sword once
and for all. Then
comes Part Three, last in the trilogy... the Final Battle
with Kilkenny or
Tipp. Either county would be suitable opposition for the
ultimate showdown
of Good versus Evil!

wowbaby

I think the Tipp Kilkenny game could be tight but I can't see the Wexford-Cork clash being anything as exciting as last weeks. That match was a classic.

Murt

I was at the cork v wexford game last weekend which was an absolutely amazing game.
Wonderful atmosphere and an enthralling game from the very start to finish, if anyone wants to see a classic game of hurling at its very best get that video.
Croke Park never ceases to astound me, Europes 3rd biggest stadium apparently :eek:

Shame im going to miss the return game tomorrow though :( , ill be listening in on suth east radio though :keano:

Lynott

The Rebels march on
GAA.ie reporter at Croke Park

Cork 3-17 Wexford 2-7

Cork booked their place in the final of the All-Ireland SHC against either Kilkenny or Tipperary after a semi-final replay win over Wexford on Saturday.

From what we witnessed six days earlier, that place in the decider could have been anyone's, but with the run out that Cork had in the drawn encounter, lessons were obviously learned. Donal O'Grady's players had sharpened their edge while Wexford's edge, on the other hand, had dulled.

Far from being a turkey shoot, despite the scoreline and the 13-point winning margin, Cork's victory had more to do with their improved team performance than Wexford's lack of ability.

Cork's defence were composed. With the exception of the two goals they conceded in the opening 15 minutes, the fullback trio of Wayne Sherlock, Pat Mulcahy and Diarmuid O'Sullivan was far more effective than in the drawn game - a factor highlighted by Wexford's ability to register just nine scores over the course of the game.

Cork's attack were enjoying a much less-frustrating time. Ben O'Connor, shackled for so long the last day, registered four points and though Joe Deane was held by Darragh Ryan in opening half, a flurry in the second saw him register 1-5 and take the mantle of the day's top scorer.

Cork were in the driving seat from the off. John Gardiner and Niall McCarthy had the Munster champions 0-2 to 0-0 up by the seventh minute before Mitch Jordan, loitering alone on the 14-yard line, nudged the ball to the back of the net.
The opportunity came when a Cork clearance was blocked and the sliothar bounced wildly over the heads of the Cork fullback line and into the path of Jordan. He missed with his first swipe, but as Donal Og Cusack rushed out, he managed to direct it past the Cloyne man.

Wexford may have captured the lead, but it never looked safe, even when they grabbed a second fortunate goal eight minutes later. Rory Jacob ran to gather the long ball sent to the edge of the 21-yard line and when he couldn't lift, he kicked into the path of Larry Murphy. The veteran campaigner pulled first time only to see Cusack save, but the ball looped high and dropped luckily under the bar.

Cork were three points down, 2-1 to 0-4, but they were anything but flustered by it and less than 2 minutes later, Alan Browne rocketed a shot low past Damien Fitzhenry. Both sides were square and Cork took it from there. Setanta O'hAilpin - marked more closely on this occasion - thumped over his only point of the game and Mickey O'Connell and Ben O'Connor added two more.

Wexford were keeping in touch but the death knell came when Timmy McCarthy was released by Niall McCarthy and beat Fitzhenry for a second goal. There could have been a third before the break, but Setanta's kicked effort from six yards somehow bobbled across the face of the goal and wide.

The second half continued in a similar trend. O'Connor and Jordan swapped points before Joe Deane registered his first score of the day from a free and at 2-11 to 2-5, it seemed the Rebels were unstoppable.

Wexford struggled and as the half wore on, their frustration grew. Deane meanwhile was hitting his purple patch and two more points helped Cork into a 2-13 to 2-6 lead. It was Deane who ended the game as a contest on the hour mark when he snatched Cork's third goal. A run by O'hAilpin dragged the Wexford defence towards him and the corner forward hand passed to the unmarked Deane. He took one step inside before finding the net.

Cork led 3-14 to 2-6 at this point and the game was up when John Conran opted to introduce some less well-known faces (Malachy Travers, Barry Lambert and Chris McGrath) for the established ones (Paul Codd, Larry O'Gorman, Dave Guiney).

Cork tagged on three more points to stretch the gap to 13 points, a margin of defeat, which, perhaps, Wexford did not deserve.

Cork: J Deane 1-5 (0-4f), T McCarthy 1-1, B O'Connor 0-4, A Browne 1-0, J Gardiner 0-3f, M O'Connell 0-2, N McCarthy, S O'hAilpin 0-1 each.

Wexford: M Jordan 1-2, P Codd 0-3f, L Murphy 1-0, A Fenlon, M Jacob 0-1 each.

Wides - Cork: 11. Wexford: 9.

Booked - Cork: W Sherlock. Wexford: D O'Connor.

wowbaby

Look like the Cats for the All Ireland. Awesome display in the second half yesterday. Ediie Brennan and Henry Shefflin are class.

seanoc

At the game on Saturday, Wexford were poor. Having watched the demolishing of Tipp, you would have to say that Kilkenny are hot favourites for the All-Ireland. That will suit Cork fine, the great thing about the hurling is that you never know, tis all on the day.
Now to try and get a feckin ticket!!
Come on ye Rebels!!!!!!!!!!

Murt

seanoc said:
At the game on Saturday, Wexford were poor. Having watched the demolishing of Tipp, you would have to say that Kilkenny are hot favourites for the All-Ireland. That will suit Cork fine, the great thing about the hurling is that you never know, tis all on the day.
Now to try and get a feckin ticket!!
Come on ye Rebels!!!!!!!!!!
Did you go to the first one? some game wasnt it :eek: I was in the cusack upper, great view & great atmosphere.
I hope the rebels beat the cnuts in the final :devil:

wowbaby

Anybody have views of the Football championship. I would think it will be Tyrone and Armagh for the final and I hope tyrone hammer them. Peter the great Canavan deserves an All Ireland medal.

seanoc

Murt said:
Did you go to the first one? some game wasnt it :eek: I was in the cusack upper, great view & great atmosphere.
I hope the rebels beat the cnuts in the final :devil:
Wanted to catch as much of the charity shield as possible so watched it on the telly, fcukin incredible game, the intensity, the ups and downs, no wonder you don't get long chants at hurling matches, fans are too busy roaring their heads off at the play. I hope we beat them too but to be honest I'm not overly optimistic.....

seanoc

wowbaby said:
Anybody have views of the Football championship. I would think it will be Tyrone and Armagh for the final and I hope tyrone hammer them. Peter the great Canavan deserves an All Ireland medal.
That would be my bet for the final two teams, Hope Canavan gets his All-Ireland, he definitely deserves it, but Armagh are one tough team taht won't cave easily, look at the way they came back against Kerry. In terms of football I would have like to have seen a tyrone v kerry all ireland, just hope it is a good semi, should be, there is plenty of football in both teams.............