Classic Players - Bryan Robson: The greatest British midfielder ever?

ypsipeos

like i said an afternoon on the lagers but someone trying to compere captain marvel with captain slippy is a joke
Do you mind if I quote Robson for a while?

"For me he can do everything and that's the reason I'd say he was the best of the three if I had to split them ahead of Scholes and Lampard in that order.

They are all top professionals and each brought different attributes and strengths but Gerrard can tackle, defend, score goals, head it, make a telling precision pass, dictate the tempo and is a powerful runner. He has a bit more to his game."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...aul-scholes-and-frank-lampard-by-bryan-robson

MoskvaRed

Do you mind if I quote Robson for a while?

"For me he can do everything and that's the reason I'd say he was the best of the three if I had to split them ahead of Scholes and Lampard in that order.

They are all top professionals and each brought different attributes and strengths but Gerrard can tackle, defend, score goals, head it, make a telling precision pass, dictate the tempo and is a powerful runner. He has a bit more to his game."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...aul-scholes-and-frank-lampard-by-bryan-robson
I see where Robson is coming from but I think Scholes, Lampard and Robson himself were mentally stronger. Gerrard had a great skillset but he would sometimes try to take too much on himself, most infamously against Chelsea in 2014.

ypsipeos

I see where Robson is coming from but I think Scholes, Lampard and Robson himself were mentally stronger. Gerrard had a great skillset but he would sometimes try to take too much on himself, most infamously against Chelsea in 2014.
This is not a thread to defend Gerrard's career. Anyone in Europe knows how important Gerrard was in that CHL final against AC Milan. He showed his mental strength so many times after this game. You cannot judge one player by his worst moment.

Rooney had an unlucky moment with England. Beckham had two of them. Ronaldo had one in a CHL final, too, followed by Terry's worst moment. You can't say these players were/are not mentally strong.

MoskvaRed

This is not a thread to defend Gerrard's career. Anyone in Europe knows how important Gerrard was in that CHL final against AC Milan. He showed his mental strength so many times after this game. You cannot judge one player by his worst moment.

Rooney had an unlucky moment with England. Beckham had two of them. Ronaldo had one in a CHL final, too, followed by Terry's worst moment. You can't say these players were/are not mentally strong.
It's difficult to compare the likes of Scholes and Rooney with Gerrard due to their contrasting fortunes of their clubs. The United players of the last 20 years (or Terry) generally had to deal with the pressure of being favourites whereas Gerrard's Liverpool could usually play the underdog card in the big matches. Going for broke when you are 3-0 down and being humiliated is very different to controlling and closing out big game after big game. Not less impressive, just different. I rate Gerrard very highly by the way - I just thought his achilles heel was a tendency to take too much on himself.

ypsipeos

I rate Gerrard very highly by the way - I just thought his achilles heel was a tendency to take too much on himself.
Isn't this what Robson did in a team that was an underdog?
Isn't this the reason we call him a true captain and a hero?

MoskvaRed

Isn't this what Robson did in a team that was an underdog?
Isn't this the reason we call him a true captain and a hero?
Fair point - and their careers do have a lot in common - I just don't remember from Robson quite the same level of taking it all on himself, and sometimes at the expense of the team. But Gerrard quit the league just 2 years ago while Robson retired over 20 years ago so maybe my memory is playing tricks.