g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Climate Change | UN Report: Code Red for humanity

nimic

something nice
Scout

The green CO2 absorption on the left is bigger, and at a more energetic frequency than the tiny orange CH4 (methane) absorption. Is methane, CH4 a 30×, some say: 100 times, more powerful global warming gas than CO2?

Hey, since we're posting graphs.

Huh. Would you look at that? Turns out methane has very high levels of absorption at wavelengths where CO2 does not.

Mark Pawelek

I deleted my first reply but my reconsidered reply is here.

CH4 on this graph is at a more energetic frequency.
They messed me up by writing it inside out. I expected sunlight to be on the left. But here it must be on the right.

What if CH4 is about 2x more energetic than CO2, there still hundreds more CO2 absorption. No way is methane even as strong an absorber as CO2, let alone 30, or 100 times stronger. IPCC climate consensus are clearly telling lies here.

Note 1: 1 micron = 10E-04 cm. Or 1 cm = 10,000 microns.
Note 2: Wavelength is converted to wavenumber by taking its inverse (remember to use the same units)
Note 3: A wavenumber in inverse cm (cm-1) can be converted to a frequency in GHz by multiplying by 29.9792458 (the speed of light in centimeters per nanosecond).

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I think you may want to reconsider. Here is another chart showing wavelength and wavenumber side by side. They always show these earth emission spectra with highest frequency on the left.

Note 2: Wavelength is converted to wavenumber by taking its inverse (remember to use the same units)
Note 3: A wavenumber in inverse cm (cm-1) can be converted to a frequency in GHz by multiplying by 29.9792458 (the speed of light in centimeters per nanosecond).
As you say in 3, wave-number is directly proportional to frequency. I'm seeing high wavelengths (= low wave-numbers and low frequencies) on the left (Far-IR) and low wavelengths (= high w-number and high freq) on the right. So I'm again doubtful that the highest frequency is on the left.
Further, by Planck's equation E = h*freq, at higher wave-numbers you have higher energy. In both your graphs CH4 is labeled at a high wavenumber. Hene it absorbs and emits at higher energy. (again, i'm not used to seeing graphs like this, i'm going by the label and the x-axis alone).

@nimic 's much clearer figure clarifies things; there are 2 bands of absorption for both CH4 and CO2. These are either missing or unclear on your graphs. Regardless, both these statements:
"They always show these earth emission spectra with highest frequency on the left."
"The green CO2 absorption on the left is bigger, and at a more energetic frequency than the tiny orange CH4 (methane) absorption."
seem to be wrong based on the graphs you posted and the positioning of the CH4 label.

nimic

something nice
Scout
They messed me up by writing it inside out. I expected sunlight to be on the left. But here it must be on the right.

What if CH2 is about 2x more energetic than CO2, there still hundreds more CO2 absorption. No way is methane even as strong an absorber as CO2, let alone 30, or 100 times stronger. IPCC climate consensus are clearly telling lies here.
Oh would you look at that, @Mark Pawelek realized that both of the graphs he posted directly contradicted the point he was making with such confidence. He didn't say "I think this is right", he said "they always show" them that way. And what happens when he realizes? Well, first he blames the makers of the graph he posted. And then he moves on without skipping a beat (well, after editing his post to hide his mistake). So what if he made a fundamental mistake, it's the IPCC which is lying.

You know Mark, for a second there I was really wondering whether you actually knew this stuff after all. I was almost prepared to ignore the fact that earlier in the thread you claimed that fish breathe water, and that climate change can't kill corals because weather doesn't. You spoke with such confidence.

And then it turns out you were reading the graph backwards.

Last edited:

Mark Pawelek

Oh would you look at that, @Mark Pawelek realized that both of the graphs he posted directly contradicted the point he was making with such confidence. He didn't say "I think this is right", he said "they always show" them that way. And what happens when he realizes? Well, first he blames the makers of the graph he posted. And then he moves on without skipping a beat (well, after editing his post to hide his mistake).

Here, I'll re-enact:

They always show these earth emission spectra with highest frequency on the left.
Both charts confirm the point I made. IPCC claim that methane is 30 times more powerful greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide. Some scientists say 90 times. The charts show the region CO2 absorbs in has far more radiation. So CO2 counts for more even though methane is absorbing radiation which is twice as energetic. This IPCC claim amounts to a lie.

In baby talk: CO2 absorbs 100 Oz dollars worth. Methane absorbs 1 UK pound. although the pound is worth twice as much as the dollar, CO2 ended up with about 50 times more in absolute terms.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Oh would you look at that, @Mark Pawelek realized that both of the graphs he posted directly contradicted the point he was making with such confidence. He didn't say "I think this is right", he said "they always show" them that way. And what happens when he realizes? Well, first he blames the makers of the graph he posted. And then he moves on without skipping a beat (well, after editing his post to hide his mistake).

You know Mark, for a second there I was really wondering whether you actually knew this stuff after all. I was almost prepared to ignore the fact that earlier in the thread you claimed that fish breathe water, and that climate change can't kill corals because weather doesn't. You spoke with such confidence.

And then it turns out you were reading the graph backwards.
Thank feck for this post, because in the face of his unflappable confidence I was almost convinced I was mis-reading the x-axis.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I baby talk: CO2 absorbs 100 Oz dollars worth. Methane absorbs 1 UK pound. although the pound is worth twice as much as the dollar, CO2 ended up with about 50 times more.
I feel like maybe I'm supposed to be insulted by this, but it's hard to be offended by the self-proclaimed climate expert who read his big gotcha graph backwards.

Thank feck for this post, because in the face of his unflappable confidence I was almost convinced I was mis-reading the x-axis.
I'm no expert, so I sat there for 10 minutes, staring at the graph, thinking what am I missing? Am I an idiot?

Mark Pawelek

IPCC claim that methane is 30 times more powerful greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide.

IPCC also claim that water absorbs only 3 times more outgoing radiation than CO2.

It follows from that that IPCC say methane will be a 10 times more powerful greenhouse gas than water, doesn't it?

Look the charts - water is absorbing all over the place. Methane in one tiny spot. Is methane a 10 times more powerful greenhouse gas than water?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Exactly the same for me.
You know, the thing that I cannot comprehend is why would the IPCC lie.
What benefit would there be.
The answer is of course that they are not telling lies. This whole subject is far more complex than can be shown by a single graph.

Revan

Assumptionman
Exactly the same for me.
You know, the thing that I cannot comprehend is why would the IPCC lie.
What benefit would there be.
The answer is of course that they are not telling lies. This whole subject is far more complex than can be shown by a single graph.
Exactly. The benefit of lying is actually on the other side (oil, gas and coal industry), where they are making trillions by destroying the planet.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Mass of the antarctic ice cap is bigger today than 30 years ago.
You do know that because of the crystalline structure, water behaves differently to any other thing when it freezes and becomes solid.
Every other commonly occurring solid is denser than when it was a liquid.
Whereas ice floats on liquid water because it is less dense.
So. Are you talking about mass or volume?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Exactly. The benefit of lying is actually on the other side (oil, gas and coal industry), where they are making trillions by destroying the planet.
Perfectly put.
The problem is that we are still wedded to fossil fuels even though we are well aware of its damaging effects.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Both charts confirm the point I made. IPCC claim that methane is 30 times more powerful greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide. Some scientists say 90 times. The charts show the region CO2 absorbs in has far more radiation. So CO2 counts for more even though methane is absorbing radiation which is twice as energetic. This IPCC claim amounts to a lie.

In baby talk: CO2 absorbs 100 Oz dollars worth. Methane absorbs 1 UK pound. although the pound is worth twice as much as the dollar, CO2 ended up with about 50 times more in absolute terms.
At least you've come around to the idea that CO2 absorbs light.

Fosu-Mens

Perfectly put.
The problem is that we are still wedded to fossil fuels even though we are well aware of its damaging effects.
The problem is that certain countries/politicians either do not care or think about a timeframe longer than the next election, or they HOPE that technological braketroughs will fix the issue like turning on a switch(This, when we actually have the means to solve it).

I for one, wonder how long time it will take for a mass exodus from the areas most affected by climate change.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Hansen is completely wrong. His model is completely wrong. It was never derived from data, as a good model should be. It cannot be validated or verified with respect to data. In fact when Ferenc Miskolczi proposed an alternative greenhouse gas effect model, derived from data, he is called a climate denier. He was forced to quit his job. His model is pronounced denial. Climate alarmists are today's Witchfinder Generals. Any chance the Spanish Inquisition will have an "aha" moment? Based on my experience, no. Fanatics don't have "aha" moments; they become ever more fanatical.
The problem with Miskolczi's alternative model is that it is bollocks. Pure fiction.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
You seem very angry. Maybe relax by taking 10 minutes to read the paper that you cited to support your assertions?
What would be the point? Climate change denies like this idiot have no capacity to assess the actual evidence.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
You think you are an expert on climate then? Fine, Mr "Expert". Please explain to us all why you think the sun does not dominate climate change.

Or are you nothing but wind-ups and mouth?
:lol: you probably think that this is actually a killer argument don't you?

Last edited:

Mark Pawelek

That's cool
Extend of the Antarctic hovers unchanged. But the mass increases.

Extent is unchanged because Antarctica is surrounded by the Southern Ocean which tends to warm any sea-bound ice and melt it. Keeping the extend in check.
But Antarctica is the highest continent on Earth: average elevation is 2500m. Higher elevations are colder. Snow falling at these high elevations builds up, becomes ice, making the mass of ice there greater.

Much of the ice in Antarctica is ancient. It began glaciation 34 million years ago when average global ocean temperatures were 4C warmer than today.

Last edited:

lynchie

IPCC claim that methane is 30 times more powerful greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide.

IPCC also claim that water absorbs only 3 times more outgoing radiation than CO2.

It follows from that that IPCC say methane will be a 10 times more powerful greenhouse gas than water, doesn't it?

Look the charts - water is absorbing all over the place. Methane in one tiny spot. Is methane a 10 times more powerful greenhouse gas than water?
Hi Mark. Is there, perchance, a time dimension to global warming potential of different gases?

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
If icecaps were melting, sea levels would be rising. Satellite data Luijendijk et al (2018) found that 76% of World's sandy shorelines were either sable or growing during the period 1984 - 2016. No Sea-level rise.
The Arctic icecap would not cause the sea level to rise because the ice already displaces the water. Put a couple of ice cubes in a glass of water and leave them for an hour or so and then tell me if volume is the same before and after they have melted.

The link you have provided is a study on beach erosion, not sea level increase and indeed the study states the assumption it makes with regards to sea level will be verified as part of further research. i.e. There is no answer to this yet.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
The Arctic icecap would not cause the sea level to rise because the ice already displaces the water. Put a couple of ice cubes in a glass of water and leave them for an hour or so and then tell me if volume is the same before and after they have melted.

The link you have provided is a study on beach erosion, not sea level increase and indeed the study states the assumption it makes with regards to sea level will be verified as part of further research. i.e. There is no answer to this yet.
Could you be saying he's misread yet another source? Never...

villain

Hates Beyoncé
At least BringBackNani was funny in his flat earth foolery, this guy has no bantz

Smores

Children know this, he's wumming.

I doubt even the most ardent deniers think the ice caps aren't melting.