Climate Change | UN Report: Code Red for humanity

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-65648361

This is rather interesting. Basalt rock dust can be used to capture CO2 from our atmosphere.
It is but looking at the maths it’s barely a fart in a hurricane.

There is a 1:4 ratio of carbon removed per basalt required. With each person on average responsible for 7 tonnes of carbon per year. That means 28 tonnes of basalt would be required per person per year. That means nearly two billion tonnes of basalt would need to be laid in the UK every single year in order to break even.

Revan

Assumptionman
I’ve been thinking for a long time that if there will be some solution it is going to be a technological one. The way how society works, it is more thinking about the next quarter rather than 20-50 years from now. Companies are not gonna slash their margins just so we don’t get screwed 20 years from now, and governments are not gonna enter severe recessions to do something about the climate change (especially with countries doing it unilaterally mean feck all). And some people changing their ways of life also means nothing all things considered.

It doesn’t have to be this way, but unfortunately it is. We are quite selfish as a species and capitalism is an extremely selfish system.

I see three scenarios it this going:

a) catastrophic damage followed by possibly a fall of civilizations.
b) massive damage but no fall of civilization, humanity going into some emergency mode 20 years from now.
c) quite a lot of damage but mostly mitigated by some technological solution.

I hope we are able to reach (c), which we probably can with advancements on fusion and AI (which might help with fusion but obviously will be a small part of that). And obviously, fusion won’t be the entire story, so we need these advancements in capturing carbon.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
https://heated.world/p/the-mystery-of-climate-friendly-beef

Highlight:

The USDA is funding “climate smart” agriculture in an attempt to help the U.S. reduce its emissions, 10 percent of which come from agriculture. Tyson is the lead partner on a project that just received a $61 million grant from the USDA, so that they can work on “Climate-Smart Commodities.” And, in particular, climate-smart beef.

The USDA hasn't responded yet to my request for comment. But for the climate-friendly certification, I just couldn't find anything on it in my initial search.

However, I did find the third-party verification company for Tyson's Brazen Beef, and it's a company called Where Food Comes From, Inc. They are the company that is meant to go through Tyson's list of “Here's how we reduce our greenhouse gas emissions,” and verify that that is true. So I reached out to their director of sustainable animal proteins, Lora Wright, but she replied that they couldn’t comment for the story.

They directed me to Tyson–whom Wright used to work for.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Oh boy.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...se-gas-emissions-at-all-time-high-study-finds

It's weird, I was always told climate change would affect my kids, not me, not that that makes it better, even though I expect to hate my children so it certainly lessened the blow, but it seems pretty much anyone under the age of 40 or 50 is going to be absolutely fecked by this in not too long, now. Yay
I just booked a 13hour train journey to avoid flying, and I now feel a right cnut when I think about the realities of it all.

Sara125

Anyone seen the wildfires in Toronto spreading to NYC? It’s literally completely orange from the smog!

Jericholyte2

Already getting amber warnings for temperatures above 30’ here, along with thunderstorms and we’re only just in June.

No doubt we’ll break the highest UK temperature again and I reckon we’ll be >40’ quite regularly come July/August.

Yeah we’re fecked.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
How do you get 10 years for this?
Three years later, after a trial in the Dunedin District Court, Penwarden was found guilty on Wednesday of two charges of creating and using a forged document.
Sentencing is scheduled for September 8, according to Dunedin District Court. While the maximum jail sentence is 10 years, Penwarden said her lawyers are asking for “discharge without conviction.”

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I would interested in seeing which political parties and voters who will be championing degrowth as the solution. And of course the posters who want that.

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I would interested in seeing which political parties and voters who will be championing degrowth as the solution. And of course the posters who want that.
i don't think any.

i don't think degrowth is possible or can be done even slightly well in an unplanned, laissez-faire setup.

BD

It's odd how this thread makes me mostly sad and hopeless, but other times it can somehow make me feel more relaxed. Relaxed in a sort of way where I think, "ah do what you like, eat that cake, bonk off work to enjoy the weather, or whatever - the world is gonna turn to shite soon anyway".

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-66013854

Forest areas the size of Switzerland destroyed in 2022 despite all of the pledges made in Glasgow.
Honestly this is both appalling and unsurprising and make a complete mockery of anything associated with trying to limit global warming to anything remotely close to +1.5.
The world is just not taking climate change seriously in the slightest.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
That's quite the outlier:

And yet many will still pretend that climate change has nothing to do with human activities.
Cut down or burn the worlds forests.
Burn fossil fuels like there is no tomorrow.
And do all of the other things with impunity while pledging to do everything to limit the effect of man made climate change.
If we rely on the world politicians to take this seriously we may as well play Russian Roulette like the rest of them.

nimic

something nice
Scout
It's odd how this thread makes me mostly sad and hopeless, but other times it can somehow make me feel more relaxed. Relaxed in a sort of way where I think, "ah do what you like, eat that cake, bonk off work to enjoy the weather, or whatever - the world is gonna turn to shite soon anyway".
I feel like there's almost too many very worrying things happening at once. Global warming, a global lurch to the right (sometimes manifesting in outright fascist policies), the rise of AI (not in the Terminator sense, just in the possibly ruining literature, film, TV and education sense), etc.

BD

I feel like there's almost too many very worrying things happening at once. Global warming, a global lurch to the right (sometimes manifesting in outright fascist policies), the rise of AI (not in the Terminator sense, just in the possibly ruining literature, film, TV and education sense), etc.
And then even more locally and less existential - United and sport in general being bought over and presumably ruined, no more haxball in the evenings, no realistic chance of buying a house, and so on. You'd wonder how some of us are staying halfway sane.

nimic

something nice
Scout
And then even more locally and less existential - United and sport in general being bought over and presumably ruined, no more haxball in the evenings, no realistic chance of buying a house, and so on. You'd wonder how some of us are staying halfway sane.
Also they cancelled Raised by Wolves and Perry Mason

Jericholyte2

When the alternative is the wiping out a f viable life on the planet, then this is what we need to do.

We’re beyond recycling, stopping international travel, electric cars etc. Without a cataclysmic change to our standard of living, we’re done for.

We had the chance to make changes to keep ourselves going decades ago, but people chose money.

So yeah, de-growth is needed. What viable alternative is there?

Last edited:

Gehrman

When the alternative is the wiping out a f viable life on the planet, then this is what we need to do.

We’re beyond recycling, stopping international travel, electric cars etc. Without a cataclysmic change to our standard of living, we’re done for.

We had the chance to make changes to keep ourselves going decades ago, but people chose money.

So yeah, de-growth is needed. What viable alternative is there?
I dont think trying to shrink countries economies both developed or developing is going to be an actual serious idea in almost any place in the world, so its not a viable alternative because its not going to happen therefore its not viable.

Jericholyte2

I dont think trying to shrink countries economies both developed or developing is going to be an actual serious idea in almost any place in the world, so its not a viable alternative because its not going to happen therefore its not viable.
So we’re back to being doomed. Shrinking economies is a viable option, there’s just not a political will to do it.

So, again, what viable option is there to ‘continue growth’ and maintaining a viable planet for more than 50 years?

We can whine, bitch, piss and moan about the ‘incoming’ climate crisis but it’s already here! It’s happening! We should have had a proverbial war economy for this decades ago but didn’t so now it’s the point of slamming the proverbial breaks on the car or falling of the fecking cliff!

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
So we’re back to being doomed. Shrinking economies is a viable option, there’s just not a political will to do it.

So, again, what viable option is there to ‘continue growth’ and maintaining a viable planet for more than 50 years?

We can whine, bitch, piss and moan about the ‘incoming’ climate crisis but it’s already here! It’s happening! We should have had a proverbial war economy for this decades ago but didn’t so now it’s the point of slamming the proverbial breaks on the car or falling of the fecking cliff!
I think our best hope at this stage is carbon capture technology which is feasible and holds significant potential within the next decade. Carbon capture, utilisation, and storage (CCUS) technologies have been under development for several years and have shown promising results.

Gehrman

If plan A or B isnt quite obviously going to happen then go for plan C. Use our higher livings standards and technology to try to adapt to the more extreme climate changes predicted. Less people die now of climate related deaths because of this and 90%, of them are from cold weather. The majority of Africans dying from the climate is also from cold.

Im not saying do nothing because i have probably have a different view on whats realistic than you do. If a large number of people think the end is neigh. Well maybe best prepare for it just in case.

Anyway im off to bed.

Jericholyte2

I think our best hope at this stage is carbon capture technology which is feasible and holds significant potential within the next decade. Carbon capture, utilisation, and storage (CCUS) technologies have been under development for several years and have shown promising results.
And yet many major reports immediately write-off CCUS as not being viable.

There no example of any CCUS system working to anything like the scale that we’d need, the energy required to work these is ridiculous, and the dangers posed (especially to marine life) should leaks, ruptures or other issues occur is catastrophic.

All that is is an expensive plaster over a bullet wound.