g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Club Ownership | INEOS responsible for the football side

AFC NimbleThumb

Do Chelsea show how not to do things given their recent spending?
“I don’t want to finish up criticising Chelsea but what I would say is that in having bought other clubs in Lausanne and Nice – we have made a lot of cock ups. We’ve made some really stupid decisions in both those clubs. There’s a lot of organisations in the world where if you make a mistake, you get shot, so nobody ever puts their head above the parapet. But at INEOS, we don’t mind making people making mistakes but please don’t make it a second time. So with that, we’re much less than sympathetic when they make the same mistake twice. We have made mistakes in football so I’m really pleased that we made those mistakes before we arrived here in Manchester United. If we hadn’t, this would be a much tougher job for us. Because it is huge and it’s very exposed.”
Brilliant answer.

I have to admit only thing I haven’t liked was the ‘Wembley of the North’ nonsense which was more briefed than quoted.

As sceptical as I was Ineos seem to have a real plan that’s looking like an exciting one.

Usually you get a new owner & it’s ‘here’s Robinho’ but these guys are doing some serious cultural changes.

All I’d say is don’t get too attached to any players cause United in 3-5 years time will look nothing like it does today.

BarstoolProphet

That was simply a brilliant interview. The man knows how to talk the talk and would make an excellent politician. Especially the way he countered the more controversial issues like tax evasion (just want to enjoy a bit of sun:lol:), state funding, Greenwood, Glazers, future investments etc.) Might be all billionaire populist words but he sounds believable.

Of course the most interesting thing was the part about having a clear identity and having the coach adhere to that, not the other way around. Also shocking to hear that managers actually have been reporting to the CEO before.

And a new stadium it is.

McTerminator

Do people really think Gary has some kind of town planning/building knowledge?
Yes.

If I am not mistaken he already owns a number of properties in the area including part-owning the hotel football which will not have been easy to get planning for.

He may come across as a clown when commenting at times, but he is no mug.

Bwuk

Big fan of what we’ve heard/seen from Ratcliffe already.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Do people really think Gary has some kind of town planning/building knowledge?
This may be uncomfortable for Gary. It may go something like ' Hey Gary, how about bulldozing Hotel Football for the good of the club so we can expand OT'.

alexthelion

Wanted a full sale and what I thought was best for the club & the best bid. Still want the Glazers out.

Been impressed with Ratcliffe so far and the start he’s made. Hope he continues to build on it. I’m much more optimistic than 2 months ago, still hope Glazers leave but at the same time only time will tell I can see how things can go bad (mostly financial) but I can see the good and reasons to be optimist.

So yeah it was never about “ supporting Jassim”. It’s like a player.. you can go from thinking he’s great to thinking it’s time for him to leave or from thinking his not good enough to thinking he’s turned things around.
This.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
How did his net worth go from 6 billion in 2022 to 29 billion in 2023?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday_Times_Rich_List_2023
2022 was probably his personal fortune (seems about right), 2023 includes investments, mainly Ineos shares (again, figure looks about right). Don’t know why Wikipedia would do one year differently to other but he hasn’t jumped that much since 22… Wikipedia is as accurate as what people put into it (unless ridiculous)?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Wanted a full sale and what I thought was best for the club & the best bid. Still want the Glazers out.

Been impressed with Ratcliffe so far and the start he’s made. Hope he continues to build on it. I’m much more optimistic than 2 months ago, still hope Glazers leave but at the same time only time will tell I can see how things can go bad (mostly financial) but I can see the good and reasons to be optimist.

So yeah it was never about “ supporting Jassim”. It’s like a player.. you can go from thinking he’s great to thinking it’s time for him to leave or from thinking his not good enough to thinking he’s turned things around.
Absolutely this.

And yes been impressed with Sir Jim, it's just PR noise so far but it's all the right noises. A huge change from the lack of communication from the previous regime.

And although the Qatari full sale was my preference, I always said I'd gladly take the INEOS minority deal over no change at all.

Woziak

Quite frankly, I wouldn't put him in charge of anything important.
He knows a lot of the local councils to get building regs approved, Hotel Football is part owned by Gary plus he’s building flats all over the City, he’s a very smart operator and an astute businessman, don’t get me wrong he will still try and have in his say on United’s new player recruiting plan as soon as he gets the ear of Sir Jim and Sir David however I can see Omar Berada quickly closing all that down!

Woziak

The interview was great, is it a bit too good to be true?

In particular I like the consistent playing style comments.

I hope we just sell Mason Greenwood, mind.
I’m pretty sure he genuinely is excited to own such a world famous club, he knows right now he’s on a charm offensive, he said 2-3 years to challenge, that means he’s in a huge hurry.

He’s been very clever with the words used, and quoted; “since we took over the form has improved dramatically”, the words he used, he’s clearly going to be present for as many home games as he can, probably 9 or 10 a season, he’s a tax exile after all!

Sir Jim considers the stadium and infrastructure his main tasks, closely followed by the new Directors he puts in place who will have a clear mandate to create a wining legacy on the field and in the recruitment arena.

Interestingly the £237m put aside for a new academy supposedly was not what Sir Jim was hinting at, he was far more concerned about finishing the season strongly and building a new stadium. He even remarked Carrington was more than suitable as a training complex.

This summer transfer window will tell me and most United fans whether a 2-3 year plan is truly feasible or the more likely time span of 4-5 years to really see United wining a PL or going deep in the CL again.

Sir Jim first interview was an excellent start but let’s see what happens in the summer, I have a feeling this transfer window will be very different to the normal ‘Just Monitoring FC’

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Should the thread title be changed to reflect the fact this is a minority investment and not a takeover?
It's got to be one of the best minority investments ever really. Only had to invest for 25% and is practically handed the keys to the club. On paper it's a minority investment, for now, but unless you just never wanted to see the Glazers associated with the club, this is looking a great outcome, as we've somehow got the dream scenario of somebody that cares a lot about the club investing. Not for any financial gain whatsoever. He's willing to invest his personal fortune in the club, employ the best people.

Hell it wouldn't surprise me if he hands part of the club to the fans one day.

croadyman

Has he spoken anywhere about the debt yet or have I just missed it amongst all the quotes

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
That "huge" bid was asked for by the Glazers this time round and it never arrived, they had ample enough chances but failed to deliver.

If it arrives in the future, it will be only because of one thing happening, United becoming successful again and yep that's right, it'll be because SJR has sorted the club out from top to bottom properly.
No one was able to meet the price because the 'avid United fans' were asking for silly money. The 'avid United fans' saddled United with debt, they left OT to rot, they mismanaged the club and yet somehow SJR's attacks are addressed on jassim not them.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Said all the right things in that interview, but ultimately time will tell us whether it is largely lip service or if he is actually able to make the changes. At the very least though, it sounds like we are finally going to have a structure around the club, instead of yo-yoing between different managers and styles every couple of years.

Fridge chutney

No one was able to meet the price because the 'avid United fans' were asking for silly money. The 'avid United fans' saddled United with debt, they left OT to rot, they mismanaged the club and yet somehow SJR's attacks are addressed on jassim not them.
:lol: Jassim is a charlatan who got out-manoevered and outclassed at every step of the bidding process by the Glazers and Ratcliffe. Thank god he doesn't own the club. He deserves ridicule for failing so miserably despite being backed by a state.

Also, you must realize how unrealistic and bad it would be for Ratcliffe to start insulting the Glazers, right?

Eddy_JukeZ

Excellent interview, but it's all about execution.

I do have faith in him to be honest, the more I listen to him articulating his plan.

devilish

:lol: Jassim is a charlatan who got out-manoevered and outclassed at every step of the bidding process by the Glazers and Ratcliffe. Thank god he doesn't own the club. He deserves ridicule for failing so miserably despite being backed by a state.

Also, you must realize how unrealistic and bad it would be for Ratcliffe to start insulting the Glazers, right?
The same can be said about himself when he bided for Chelsea when exclusivity was already given to Boelhy. I don't recall the latter ridiculing INEOS for it. Quite frankly I was expecting SJR not to say anything of either the former nor the latter TBH. Calling the Glazers 'avid supporters' and gentlemen is as silly as it gets.

I agree with the rest of the interview BTW and I am impressed with what SJR had done so far.

pascell

And what are your thoughts on Jassim never providing proof of funds? Never actually meeting with the Glazers?

SJR got asked a question on Jassim and answered it. If Jassim really wanted to acquire United, he would have put the money up.

devilish

And what are your thoughts on Jassim never providing proof of funds? Never actually meeting with the Glazers?

SJR got asked a question on Jassim and answered it. If Jassim really wanted to acquire United, he would have put the money up.
I don't know much about that matter and I doubt that SJR know much about it either. He'll probably relying heavily on what the 'avid Manchester United' fans who let OT and the squad rot said to him. Look I loved the interview and it seems to be backed by solid facts rather then the usual BS which is refreshing. Unfortunately someone asked what a once pro Qatari bid thought about that quote and I gave my opinion about it. In my opinion he shouldn't have said anything about his bid rivals just as he shouldn't have tried and portray the Glazers in good light. Jassim is history and he hasn't caused any damage to the club. That can't be said about the 'avid United fans' he's in bed with.

Marwood

He owns a property consultancy. If he doesn’t know it, he knows somebody who will.
Well he owns buildings so yes.
Yes.

If I am not mistaken he already owns a number of properties in the area including part-owning the hotel football which will not have been easy to get planning for.

He may come across as a clown when commenting at times, but he is no mug.
He's building a massive skyscraper in Central Manchester or at least trying to, he part owns hotels and a University I mean he knows something about building projects and regeneration
He knows a lot of the local councils to get building regs approved, Hotel Football is part owned by Gary plus he’s building flats all over the City, he’s a very smart operator and an astute businessman, don’t get me wrong he will still try and have in his say on United’s new player recruiting plan as soon as he gets the ear of Sir Jim and Sir David however I can see Omar Berada quickly closing all that down!
Guys when you say Gary owns this or that, it's worth taking a look at what he actually does own. What share he has in these things and who really is funding and running these projects. It isn't Gary.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Guys when you say Gary owns this or that, it's worth taking a look at what he actually does own. What share he has in these things and who really is funding and running these projects. It isn't Gary.
From his LinkedIn : Gary Neville Co-owns GG Hospitality which has a chain of hotels and restaurants including Hotel Futbol. He is also working on a 200m portfolio on St Michael's.

From the GG website, he's only Co owner with one person it seems - Ryan Giggs.
https://www.gghospitality.com/about/

Hes also listed as the owner of Hotel Futbol.