Clubs hiring ex-players as managers

JSArsenal

Arteta, OGS, Lampard, Zidane, Pirlo, and then there's the rumor that Xavi will become Barcelona's manager. Is this just all happenstance or are clubs actively moving towards this way of doing things?

Once Lampard is sacked for example, will Chelsea hire another ex-player to manage them?

Zen

Is it all that new? Johan managed both teams he had great careers with, Capello managed 3 of the 4 teams he played for.....Ancelotti 2 out of 3 etc

RyRoc

Is it all that new? Johan managed both teams he had great careers with, Capello managed 3 of the 4 teams he played for.....Ancelotti 2 out of 3 etc
Without having any core facts to back this up I’d suggest the new trend is top tier clubs are now hiring managers relatively close to after they retired as opposed to gaining 5/10 years of experience in the industry.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Arteta, OGS, Lampard, Zidane, Pirlo, and then there's the rumor that Xavi will become Barcelona's manager. Is this just all happenstance or are clubs actively moving towards this way of doing things?

Once Lampard is sacked for example, will Chelsea hire another ex-player to manage them?
How many managers in the circuit nowadays have never played? It's the way of the development of the game; most players these days appreciate the longevity of their playing career is short in comparison to the length of their lives and so do their badges etc. for life after playing. And then it's probably a fair assumption that a lot of top players will be decent managers, as you don't get to that level of the game without understanding football.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Its not new, Ancelotti was manager for both Juve and Milan, Juve hired Conte, Atletico hired Simeone, Lazio hired Inzaghi, Barca hired Pep and there are many more examples too.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Without having any core facts to back this up I’d suggest the new trend is top tier clubs are now hiring managers relatively close to after they retired as opposed to gaining 5/10 years of experience in the industry.
For Ole and Zidane it happened almost 10 years after their retirements. Zidane was a consultant, then sporting director, the assistant coach and then youth coach before getting the job. Bacelona have done that type of things for a while and Arsenal aren't a top tier club.:D

Zen

I could give you that, but management tenures are shorter now too, so the opening comes up quicker. Continental wise, it's simply always been fairly common place. And has been there in Britain too to a lesser degree, it's a far bigger revolving door now.

izec

Its not new, Ancelotti was manager for both Juve and Milan, Juve hired Conte, Atletico hired Simeone, Lazio hired Inzaghi, Barca hired Pep and there are many more examples too.
New is to hire ex players without a lot of experience as managers. Lampard, Arteta, Guardiola, Xavi, Pirlo fit the bill. Ole and the managers you stated had all years and years of experience until better clubs picked them up. One group has 0-5 years experience, mostly a couple of years, and the other by far more than that. There is a trend in general, and that trend is that former (top) players get top jobs quicker, even without necessarily being proven. That can be either good or bad, not judging it.

JSArsenal

I'd forgotten about Barcelona doing this in the past and Capello. I just can't remember a time where so many clubs were managed by ex players all at the same time.

Especially when more experienced options are available.

JPRouve

Scout
Ancelotti didn't play for Juventus but he did manage Parma and Milan. Monaco hired Ettori, Jean Petit, Deschamps, Tigana, Henry and Marco Simone.

JPRouve

Scout
I'd forgotten about Barcelona doing this in the past and Capello. I just can't remember a time where so many clubs were managed by ex players all at the same time.

Especially when more experienced options are available.
In 2011, Dalglish was managing Liverpool, Pep was at Barcelona, Conte at Juventus, Kombouaré at PSG, Remi Garde at Lyon, Marco Simone at Monaco, Deschamps at Marseille, De Boer at Ajax, Ranieri at Roma and I'm sure that the list is way longer.:angel:

roonster09

Scout
Ancelotti didn't play for Juventus but he did manage Parma and Milan. Monaco hired Ettori, Jean Petit, Deschamps, Tigana, Henry and Marco Simone.
Yeah, no idea why I thought he played for Juventus. Also deschamps and Juventus too.

roonster09

Scout
New is to hire ex players without a lot of experience as managers. Lampard, Arteta, Guardiola, Xavi, Pirlo fit the bill. Ole and the managers you stated had all years and years of experience until better clubs picked them up. One group has 0-5 years experience, mostly a couple of years, and the other by far more than that. There is a trend in general, and that trend is that former (top) players get top jobs quicker, even without necessarily being proven. That can be either good or bad, not judging it.
Yeah that might be true, didn't see the experience when they were hired.

hmchan

I think clubs are actively moving towards this way. There are few quality managers available in the market and they are not easy to hire, so why not give ex-players a shot whom often get more credits and patience from the fans?

blue blue

Supports
chelsea

Such a cheap and unnecessary shot about Lampard.

In the last 10-15 years we have seen the emergance of Gallactico managers such as Pep, Jose, Ancelotti, Hiddink, Capello, Van Gaal etc and a few more who have all been on the manager merry go round. Most of the top clubs have given one if not two of them a go.

The change in the game brought about by huge TV sponsorship money created a hire and fire mentality among many clubs and these managers are either finished or nearing the end of their useful life. The time is right for a new batch of managers that just happens to include ex players. I suggest it has always been that way and we are just witnessing a changing of the guard.

xonyo

Supports
Arsenal
I think there are certain benefits of hiring an ex player that you don't get with other managers:

1. They are normally well respected in the dressing room having had top playing careers even without much managerial experience.
  2. They are popular figures at the club and it's easy for fans to get on board with the decision. This could detract from animosity from fans towards ownership or just reduce the pressure on the manager/team.
  3. They probably have a more vested interest in positive outcomes for the club's long term success and build/buy/coach accordingly.
  4. Obviously they're already comfortable/knowledgable about the country/culture/league they're managing in.

Loon

:lol:
I think this has happened frequently over the years. We've done it with Wilf, dirty Leeds have, dippers...

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Look at what happens when non-players become managers, like Sarri. The media never shut up about them coming from a non-playing background, as if not being a player means you can’t possibly be a natural manager.

Dante

Average bang
We should have done it with Giggs. Instead, we went down the 'proven' route with Mourinho.

United could have been 2 season further along in our rebuild.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am strongly against it. In matter of fact, i hate it. If that manager deserved it (so doing good job somewhere else first) then ok but giving them job because of clear nepotism is stupid. Especially in big clubs.

I can't even find words how much it pisses me off.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I am strongly against it. In matter of fact, i hate it. If that manager deserved it (so doing good job somewhere else first) then ok but giving them job because of clear nepotism is stupid. Especially in big clubs.

I can't even find words how much it pisses me off.
It works a lot of the time.

The ex-player knows the club and the club knows the ex-player. Also the fans are immediately onside when a legend is appointed.

Club owners are generally not stupid, they don't appoint any old ex-player. Mark Bosnich won't be getting any calls from the Glaziers or Roman to replace Ole or Frank for example.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It works a lot of the time.

The ex-player knows the club and the club knows the ex-player. Also the fans are immediately onside when a legend is appointed.

Club owners are generally not stupid, they don't appoint any old ex-player. Mark Bosnich won't be getting any calls from the Glaziers or Roman to replace Ole or Frank for example.
I think that things in life you must deserve. It is the same if you as a owner of big company hire your son, who just finished college and have zero experience in business, as CEO.

Cloud7

I like it. I've long been against the hiring of managers because of the tried and tested 'Experience'TM. Outside of the ex-players that have been hired, what managers could you look at and say they're guaranteed to be a success? Klopp, Pep, Conte, and the list likely ends there. Even Poch, as much as I like him, isn't much of a guarantee of anything. I like seeing the clubs take a bold step and go in this direction, rather than recycle managers that have been around for a while and haven't really done anything of note.

Cloud7

We should have done it with Giggs. Instead, we went down the 'proven' route with Mourinho.

I was against it at the time, but looking back on it now, it couldn't really have gone much worse had we gotten Giggsy, could it?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I think that things in life you must deserve. It is the same if you as a owner of big company hire your son, who just finished college and have zero experience in business, as CEO.
Bless your heart. That would be nice in a fair world.

In the real world, every huge firm often hires and promotes based on exiting relationships and perceived potential.

monosierra

Most of the older generation of "world class" managers have taken a hit to their reputations and are rightfully seen as out of touch. The game has moved on in terms of coaching, man management, and tactics. There is however a gap between the fallen giants of Ancelotti's era and the new freshly-retired ones. The managers in the middle - Pep, Mourinho (Though he is quickly falling into the passe category too), Zidane - are all busy with their projects.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
The most successful clubs of this century so far did it by giving a shot to managers with next to 0 previous management experience.

It works very often, especially at the bigger clubs

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Look at what happens when non-players become managers, like Sarri. The media never shut up about them coming from a non-playing background, as if not being a player means you can’t possibly be a natural manager.
It just does not work anymore at big clubs. The players will never give a non-player the same respect. It's firmly in the past now.

Smores

I bet they're a damn sight cheaper than high profile managers and less challenging to the board.

JPRouve

Scout
It just does not work anymore at big clubs. The players will never give a non-player the same respect. It's firmly in the past now.
It has never really been a thing though, non-players have rarely managed big clubs.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
It has never really been a thing though, non-players have rarely managed big clubs.
Just once. Sacchi. Still a semi-pro. Don't know how he managed to convinced the stars he had in his team. I would not listen to a guy who never played at my level if I were them.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Bless your heart. That would be nice in a fair world.

In the real world, every huge firm often hires and promotes based on exiting relationships and perceived potential.
Some people get a leg up others don't but most of the time they have to actually be talented to survive long term.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I was against it at the time, but looking back on it now, it couldn't really have gone much worse had we gotten Giggsy, could it?
To be fair, Mourinho is our most successful manager post Fergie...

So, yeah, it could've gone worse. Though obviously with a well liked guy, which is clearly pretty important to lots of fans.

Cloud7

To be fair, Mourinho is our most successful manager post Fergie...

So, yeah, it could've gone worse. Though obviously with a well liked guy, which is clearly pretty important to lots of fans.
I mean, relative to the other guys, sure, but I don't count a Europa league, league cup and a second place finish where we were closer to fourth than first to be worth the soul destroying football, the fracturing of our fanbase, moaning about money spent despite spending more than almost every other club around, and general dark cloud that hung over the club for his entire tenure here. Not worth it for me at all.

ti vu

It doesn't always work out as good like that. Solari and Julen Lopetegui are former Madrid players too. Valverde was former Barcelona player. Abidal who is at the center of all the smoke regarding Barcelona issue, also a former player. AC Milan went also through a bunch of former players in past few seasons...

Jibbs

Among all of them... I only consider Conte as real manager... rest of the lot are either just lucky to become the manager at the right time or got the job because the clubs thought they have tried everything, why not just go with the trend of ex player manager. Eg Zidane and Pep got extremely fortunate that they got once in a generation squads at their respective clubs.
Ole and Pirlo got the job just because they were ex players and Juve and United have tried everything else to win Champions league and getting back to winning ways respectively.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

The recent trend was started by us wasnt it?