Television COBRA

ColvaleGoa

Started on Sky yesterday. Also available on demand. I think it started slow but by end I was hooked. Looks to have pretty good budget too. Don't know how it will Peter out but the cast is good too. Richard Dormer from Fortitude and GoT and Robert Carlyle are the main lead.

Anyone else catch this? Any thoughts?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Started on Sky yesterday. Also available on demand. I think it started slow but by end I was hooked. Looks to have pretty good budget too. Don't know how it will Peter out but the cast is good too. Richard Dormer from Fortitude and GoT and Robert Carlyle are the main lead.

Anyone else catch this? Any thoughts?
I watched episode 1 and 2. It does suffer a bit by combining high ambition with low budget. The seeming lack of contact with other governments/scientists is kind of baffling as well.

Too many sub-plots and personal backstories being thrown in too early for my taste, but maybe that's because they don't have the episodes to do the slow build up, and we need some of the info because it'll be relevant later. Or not.

Despite that, I probably will watch the whole series because the core premise is interesting and want to see what they do with it. I won't get chance to watch the other episodes for a week or so, but I will say I like Sky's ambition, even if they don't quite pull it off.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
And after 6 episodes the final verdict is: meh.

Interesting idea that bogged down in its own unlikeliness (the only functional police officer in Nortumberland is apparently the Chief Constable, and they have no armed response unit etc) and some tedious personal backstories and infighting. Probably sounded better in the pitch for funding but the end product felt like scriptwriting by committee, with as many "oh, and it should have a scene like this" moments as possible thrown in. That said, at least one of those random moments worked well.
The populist leader meets his fate scene was nicely done

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Given up on this after last night's episode and it was touch and go before tonight.

Awful acting on the most part, stupid side stories and very boring.

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
Is it Sly or Duddikoff (spelling?) remake?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I enjoyed the idea of it more than the series.

it’s an interesting idea how we’d be with no electric. I did find it funny people on the street were dressed like mad max by ep3

The Cat

Well I watched the first 3 episodes of Season 2 and enjoyed it overall a lot more than the first season the writing seemed tighter.

Sky have pulled the final 3 episodes for now due to very recent awful events which were a bit close to the story it would seem. Understandable.

The Cat

Have finished it now and it was better than the first series but I just can't take to it.

It feels cheap and a knockoff of other series. I like Robert Carlyle usually but he seems wooden and forced in this - like all the other actors in it.

Poor.