ColdPlay

Kinky Melinky

Am I seriously missing something about this band ?

How are they winning so many prizes ? Who decides the winners ? There has to be something seriously wrong with the music industry if Cold Play are lapping up all the awards

Twisted_Woody

Scout
I have a friend who is a girl, but if she had a penis I'm sure she'd wank it daily to them.

I don't get it.

Kinky Melinky

I heard some of their latest album the other day, it was horrible.
They definte the word BLAND. There is no heart in their music at all.

A very good pal of mine back in Ireland summed up their success. He said the secret to Cold Plays music is that it's not god awful, but it's not outstanding. It's safe, it's middle of the road and it's commercial.

I think that sums it up really. There are more people in the world who are happy to listen to middle of the road, non intrusive music then there are listeners who have a particular style.

What does that say about winning awards ?

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
I dont mind their music. That is as much pop as I can bear listening to. Cant stand the singer though.

Kinky Melinky

I dont mind their music. That is as much pop as I can bear listening to. Cant stand the singer though.
My point proven.

You don't mind their music but you don't love it. If another million people share this view and decide based on this "...not minding....but not loving Cold Play..." to buy their singles or Albums, they win awards.

So winning an award doesn't tell the whole tale, and is quite misrepresentative to how good a band / musician actually are

Name Changed

weso26
Anytime they come on the radio, I switch them off. They are the most boring bland band I have ever heard. They have no personality, nor does Chris Martin in any way. I can't stand them. They are the only band I have ever felt this way about before.

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)

A very good pal of mine back in Ireland summed up their success. He said the secret to Cold Plays music is that it's not god awful, but it's not outstanding. It's safe, it's middle of the road and it's commercial.

I think that sums it up really. There are more people in the world who are happy to listen to middle of the road, non intrusive music then there are listeners who have a particular style.

Bit harsh imo, still rate their first album, plenty of heart in that for me.

Went a bit up their own arse after that, and and as Doc says, their new album is just god awful.

Kinky Melinky

Went a bit up their own arse after that, and and as Doc says, their new album is just god awful.
I like their first album. Don't get me wrong. That's where they were at their strongest. I'm really talking about from then onward because all these awards they are picking up are recent awards

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

yep. Safe, all the way. I blame Al Qaeda.

First album had loads of potential, even In My Place and The Scientist were good from the Rush of Blood record but you could sense them creeping back into their shell on that album. Now they are ensconsed in a protective outershell that will see them sell millions of the same crap over and over again.

Radiohead are looking better and better.

I_live_cement

Cat freak
Don't have any of their albums but if one of their songs came on the radio I wouldn't change channels. They have some good songs, especially when they first came out.

RedNome

yep. Safe, all the way. I blame Al Qaeda.

First album had loads of potential, even In My Place and The Scientist were good from the Rush of Blood record but you could sense them creeping back into their shell on that album. Now they are ensconsed in a protective outershell that will see them sell millions of the same crap over and over again.

Radiohead are looking better and better.
Can't argue with any of that, well said bro.

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
A friend of mine is a huge coldplay fan.

I like some of their songs too. like In my place, talk

RedNome

I'm actually watching the 2005 Glastonbury gig of Radiohead at the moment, feck me what a show that was, wish I'd of been there, they were fecking tight as feck that night.

Brilliant.

RedNome

They're the fecking bollocks Kinky, and I'll never get bored of saying it tbh.

kps88

I love how all music discussions always lead to Radiohead's brilliance being mentioned.

ffurby

AKA Bruff, hunted by the cops, not wanted by schoo
Only member (to my knowledge) to have their comput
Their second album has some good songs as well - Politik, Clocks come to mind.

To be fair they're not the worst, and I don't really have anythign against them. But yeah - the thing that really bothers me, and others, about them is their ridiculous success. They're ok - but just not that great.

But look at other commercially successful acts - the artists who made the most last year included Madonna, Bon Jovi, Eagles, Bruce Springsteen and on and on. All of these bands are either irrelevant now, or were never relevant, but people love them.

kps88

Their second album has some good songs as well - Politik, Clocks come to mind.

To be fair they're not the worst, and I don't really have anythign against them. But yeah - the thing that really bothers me, and others, about them is their ridiculous success. They're ok - but just not that great.

But look at other commercially successful acts - the artists who made the most last year included Madonna, Bon Jovi, Eagles, Bruce Springsteen and on and on. All of these bands are either irrelevant now, or were never relevant, but people love them.
I'm sorry but Clocks is just plain awful. How that song became so huge is beyond me.

Smith's Cove

I went to a mate's wedding in las Vegas last year and Coldplay were in town. We all got tickets and went to watch them. I'm not a massive Coldplay fan but I think that some of their songs are OK, I also held the opinion that Chris Martin was a bit of a knob. I really enjoyed the concert and they did something that I have never seen any other band do. About halfway through the gig Martin says "Right, that's it we're going for a walk" and the whole band get off the stage, walk through the crowd up to the cheap seats right at the back of the arena and they played two songs from there, with fans all around shaking their hands, etc. I thought fair play to them. They actually came across as not up their own arses and I walked away with a different opinion of them.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Pretty much were brilliant

Now pure wank

Haven't even listened to the new album, heard songs here and there and i'm highly dissapointed

KanieKaned

I thought Parachutes was truly amazing when they first arrived and I could see the potential but as you say the seem to have crept into a shell over the last few albums. But the last one is something totally different from them, working with Eno again on this one might seem to be getting them out of their comfort zone. They have done some amazing work on that last album, i dont love the album but theres some tunes on it that make me say feck me if they can reproduce it again without so much filler they will make a monster album. Plus some of Brian Eno's production work on that album is off the fecking charts