Combined Man Utd - Spurs XI

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Why has everyone got Garnacho in their line ups? Brennan Johnson has better stats and Kulusevski is about the same.

Smores

It's a mental way to judge a manager if that's what this is getting at. People are rightly or wrongly picking a combined eleven based off form, which can't be unpicked from the managers influence.

SirBillNic

Supports
Spurs
This is hard because I don't even know what our best 11 is. Trying to be as unbiased as possible:

Vicario
Porro---Romero---Van De Ven---Shaw
Bissouma---Mainoo
Garnacho---Bruno---Son
Richarlison​

Difficult spots for me were:
Martinez or Van De Ven - VDV been our best player this season and insane potential so I went with him, but could go either way
Porro or Dalot - Really depends how you want to play. I think Dalot is better defensively but Porro is important to how we play
Shaw or Udogie - Udogie been excellent this season but I went with Shaw's consistency and experience. I think Shaw is the better player at the moment but due to his injuries and Udogie's potential, I'd pick Udogie for the long term. Shaw if this team was playing a final tomorrow
DM spot - I feel like neither club has a good DM option. Bissouma isn't really a #6, nor is Bentancur who's probably our best midfielder but definitely more of an 8. But I'm picking Mainoo so probably need someone like Bissouma to get best balance.
Garnacho or Johnson - Johnson been good for us this season but think Garnarcho has had a better season and higher potential
Maddison or Bruno - Early in the season I would have said Maddison, but he's been very off form since returning from injury, while Bruno has been pretty good lately, so I'd go with Bruno.
Richarlison or Hojlund - I don't feel like there's much in it, but Richarlison's been much improved in the 2nd half of the season so I guess that tipped it for me.

The sad thing is that combined 11 wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of competing for the league, which I guess shows how much work both clubs need to do.

SirBillNic

Supports
Spurs
Vicario
Porro - Van der Ven - Martinez - Shaw
Bissouma - Mainoo
Kulusevski - Bruno - Garnacho
Son​

Probably this? I haven't been following Spurs closely, so this may be overly influenced by the couple of games that I've seen as well as the highlights. You can push Son out wide and play Richarlison or Hojlund up top but I can't say that they deserve to start.

If you count just the current (or even this season's) form you can't in your right mind include neither Shaw nor Martinez though. And Bruno probably gets benched for Maddison, although it's quite close. Depressing.
I think mostly right, but Van De Ven is a left footed CB so you would ideally have him on the left side. So I see it as a choice between him and Martinez, and then Romero or Varane/Maguire/etc on the other side.

Son has been pretty bad for us up top - he's much better on the left imo with Richarlison playing striker.

Kulusevski also not having a good season so far apart from the first 10 games maybe. Johnson is probably ahead of him in the pecking order now.

SirBillNic

Supports
Spurs
I didn't pick anyone. You asked people to make a combined XI of both teams and I commented on the one @Cassidy made which is by the way mirrored by others. Now what am I supposed to conclude when one of the player that is mentioned the most is also shite according to you? You are either correct and it says a lot about Spurs squad or you are wrong and it says a lot about your ability to judge players and squads.

Edit: Also your team has more United players than Spurs players which also weakens your initial claim.
I'd have to assume anyone who thinks Van De Ven is one of our worst players hasn't watched us much this season. Before the Newcastle game, I don't recall a bad game that's he's had, multiple man of the match performances and our most important player overall. The idea that he's all pace and doesn't have defensive awareness is just wrong. He'd still be an excellent defender even without his pace, just wouldn't be able to function in our crazy high line without it. Yeah he's still raw because of his age but he's got best in the world level potential for me. Better than Romero already imo.

Same with Bentancur. We were a different team before his injury. When he got injured it all went off the rails. He hasn't been the same player since he came back, but if he can get back to his level from 2022 and early 2023, there's no question he'd be our best midfielder.

Reactions: JPRouve

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'd have to assume anyone who thinks Van De Ven is one of our worst players hasn't watched us much this season. Before the Newcastle game, I don't recall a bad game that's he's had, multiple man of the match performances and our most important player overall. The idea that he's all pace and doesn't have defensive awareness is just wrong. He'd still be an excellent defender even without his pace, just wouldn't be able to function in our crazy high line without it. Yeah he's still raw because of his age but he's got best in the world level potential for me. Better than Romero already imo.

Same with Bentancur. We were a different team before his injury. When he got injured it all went off the rails. He hasn't been the same player since he came back, but if he can get back to his level from 2022 and early 2023, there's no question he'd be our best midfielder.
Thanks. That's my understanding of the situation and what most people seem to think. You have had plenty of injuries this season to important players including at the same time if I'm not mistaken. Also since you appointed your current manager many players have improved their performances drastically.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
None of Ten Hag's £400m signings would make the side for me, which is the most damning.

AndySmith1990

It's a wasted exercise. Obviously we'll all favour Spurs' players right now due to our team looking hopeless. We're back in to the mindset of thinking we have relegation fodder players when the real weakness is the way the incompetent manager utilises them

saivet

Onana
Dalot, VdV, Martinez, Shaw
Bissouma, Mainoo
Kulu, Maddison, Rashford
Son​

I've not followed Spurs much this season which made it tricky. Generally, I don't think their squad is all that good either.

aeh1991

At the moment only Mainoo and Garnacho would be in a combined team.

Pintu

Onana
Dalot, Romero, Martinez, Shaw
Bissouma, Mainoo
Garnacho, Maddison, Rashford
Son​