Other Comics 2023

Arlo

Rather than bump the old comics thread I thought to start a new one here.
@JimmyWils had started a comics thread in the newbies but we both got promoted before we could really get going.

Whether it's Manga, Marvel, DC, IDW, or any other publisher, I'd be interested to hear what others are reading. Personal favourites, recommendations, criticisms, etc, are all welcome.

JimmyWils

Yeah solid first reply to this one :D

I'll post a couple of bits soon, but I reckon @oates might be interested too?

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Kate Beaton's Ducks released late last year is a damn masterpiece. One of the best comics I've read.

Arlo

What good comics are even being made at the moment?
I'm not up to date on the newest comics but I recently read a good series called Wild's End by Dan Abnett. It's from a few years back and it's due to make a return later on this year.
I also enjoyed Bone by Jeff Smith, which is an independently published series.

Arlo

Kate Beaton's Ducks released late last year is a damn masterpiece. One of the best comics I've read.
Looks interesting. I might just check that one out.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I'm not up to date on the newest comics but I recently read a good series called Wild's End by Dan Abnett. It's from a few years back and it's due to make a return later on this year.
I also enjoyed Bone by Jeff Smith, which is an independently published series.
Read Bone years ago. Making my way through Something Is Killing Th Chuldren and it’s… okay.

Nothing like Fables or Invincible that gets me really excited. And the X-line has gone awful IMO.

Arlo

Read Bone years ago. Making my way through Something Is Killing Th Chuldren and it’s… okay.

Nothing like Fables or Invincible that gets me really excited. And the X-line has gone awful IMO.
I've come across Something Is Killing The Children and Invincible (mostly from the TV show) but haven't read either one. Fables is totally new to me.

I agree that the X-line went south a while back and I haven't kept up with it myself. I don't mind the big name publishers, but I also keep a lookout for indie comics, one-shots or graphic novels that are different from the usual comic book fare.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Recently received Pandism : Virus Panda , which is quite a humorous little indie comic.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Maybe not a flashy pick but Berserk is my all time favorite manga and has some of the best artwork I've ever seen. I'm currently re-reading it after I've gotten all the deluxe editions for a good price, previously I just read it online.

After I'm done I'm going to start reading East of West, it looks pretty good and themes in there (from the little bits and pieces I've read) are right up my alley.

Arlo

Maybe not a flashy pick but Berserk is my all time favorite manga and has some of the best artwork I've ever seen. I'm currently re-reading it after I've gotten all the deluxe editions for a good price, previously I just read it online.
I don't know much about manga, so I couldn't say whether Berserk is a flashy pick or not :)
After I'm done I'm going to start reading East of West, it looks pretty good and themes in there (from the little bits and pieces I've read) are right up my alley.
Jonathan Hickman is a really good writer. I liked his runs on FF and Avengers - Time Runs Out.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
I don't know much about manga, so I couldn't say whether Berserk is a flashy pick or not :)

Jonathan Hickman is a really good writer. I liked his runs on FF and Avengers - Time Runs Out.
Berserk is one of the most popular manga out there, but in my opinion the absolute king. There's a couple of others that are great as well. Vagabond and Blade of the Immortal are good ones I've read with breathtaking art.

Berserk is about a young swordsman named Guts, he's been a member of various mercenary groups his whole life. One day he meets a guy named Griffith who wants him to join his own group, the "Band of the Hawk". I don't want to say too much but let's just say his life gets continually worse than it already was. It's a medieval-Europe inspired dark fantasy with lots of war, murder, torture, rape and various creatures of the underworld. It might not be for everyone, but the detail on his work is insane. Some panels really belong in a museum IMO.

Sadly the creator of Berserk, Kentaro Miura, died in 2021 but they are continueing the manga under the supervision of his close/best friend. They're finishing the current arc and are planning to at least do another one after this.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Great! Haven't read those, but really looking forward to EoW. I would honestly love to read more Marvel comics, but sometimes I don't even know where to start.

Arlo

Great! Haven't read those, but really looking forward to EoW. I would honestly love to read more Marvel comics, but sometimes I don't even know where to start.
It can be a bit daunting figuring out where and what to start with. My own proper introduction to Marvel was the Civil War story arc, which clocked in at over 100 comics, so probably not the best place to start. There are plenty of threads on Reddit with helpful advice about how to get started on whatever title/character that may be of interest to you.

Arlo

Berserk is one of the most popular manga out there, but in my opinion the absolute king. There's a couple of others that are great as well. Vagabond and Blade of the Immortal are good ones I've read with breathtaking art.

Berserk is about a young swordsman named Guts, he's been a member of various mercenary groups his whole life. One day he meets a guy named Griffith who wants him to join his own group, the "Band of the Hawk". I don't want to say too much but let's just say his life gets continually worse than it already was. It's a medieval-Europe inspired dark fantasy with lots of war, murder, torture, rape and various creatures of the underworld. It might not be for everyone, but the detail on his work is insane. Some panels really belong in a museum IMO.

Sadly the creator of Berserk, Kentaro Miura, died in 2021 but they are continueing the manga under the supervision of his close/best friend. They're finishing the current arc and are planning to at least do another one after this.
Someday I'll give manga a try

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
yeah. For like a tenner a month yoy get every single Marvel comic (pretty much!)
Oh wow, that's a pretty good deal. Once I've cleared my backlog and I'm planning on starting on Marvel I'll shoot you a message! :D

JimmyWils

Yeah I'm 100% the same with Marvel. I've read a decent chunk of DC but never know where to get started.

Tried the last run of Spiderman which I really liked but beyond that I thought maybe the Avengers runs that the movies were based on as a starter for 10. This does sound like it could be a good one, and looks like it has solid reviews!

JimmyWils

yeah. For like a tenner a month yoy get every single Marvel comic (pretty much!)
Something about comics I can't get over the hard copy versions, I kinda like having a bookshelf full of them. Maybe it's that my kindle is black and white so reading them would be difficult, but it just doesn't feel like it would be the same.

Maybe I should give it more of a go because 10 quid seems like an absolute bargain for that amount of stuff.

LInkash

Just got into comics recently, hadn't really read any since Beano and Dandy when I was a kid

I watched the Paper Girls TV show and that didn't get renewed for a second season so I thought I'd read the comic. Loved that so tried another one by Brian K Vaughan - Y: the last man, then Invincible as that was a recommended one on Reddit and I liked that TV show too. Then most recently, another Vaughan one, Saga.

Have loved them all - didn't think I'd start reading comics in my mid-thirties! It's an easier read than novels, which is nice when you're tired from work and you don't need to focus that hard.

I think I'll probably go for the Walking Dead comics next, having liked Invincible.

Arlo

Just got into comics recently, hadn't really read any since Beano and Dandy when I was a kid

I watched the Paper Girls TV show and that didn't get renewed for a second season so I thought I'd read the comic. Loved that so tried another one by Brian K Vaughan - Y: the last man, then Invincible as that was a recommended one on Reddit and I liked that TV show too. Then most recently, another Vaughan one, Saga.

Have loved them all - didn't think I'd start reading comics in my mid-thirties! It's an easier read than novels, which is nice when you're tired from work and you don't need to focus that hard.

I think I'll probably go for the Walking Dead comics next, having liked Invincible.
I also got into comics relatively late in life at around 25, and likewise treat them as light reading :)

I'll get around to reading Y: The Last Man eventually (I have a considerable backlog to get through). Vaughan's run on Runaways is also worth checking out.

I'm yet to read any comics by Kirkman.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Come on then people, who're you favourite comic-book Artists ?

Mine:
Otomo
Jean Giraud
Mignola
Kirby
Crumb
Mazzucchelli
Frank Miller
Tsutomu Nihei
Geof Darrow
Seth
Ditko
Wes Craig
Tony Moore
Toth
Greene
Fegredo
Jim Lee

Ok, didnt expect to write such a long list.

Arlo

Come on then people, who're you favourite comic-book Artists ?

Mine:
Otomo
Jean Giraud
Mignola
Kirby
Crumb
Mazzucchelli
Frank Miller
Tsutomu Nihei
Geof Darrow
Seth
Ditko
Wes Craig
Tony Moore
Toth
Greene
Fegredo
Jim Lee

Ok, didnt expect to write such a long list.
Good list. I'll add:
Jim Starling
Humberto Ramos
Chris Giarrusso
Skottie Young
Steve McNiven

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I was hoping more ghost kind of vibe? But thank you both.
Johann Kraus is a ghost..sort of.

Sticking on the horror vibe, I'll also recommend Alan Moore's Swamp Thing. Good stories in there and a natural running theme. Not overly keen on the artwork though.

Arlo

I was hoping more ghost kind of vibe? But thank you both.
You could check out Something Is Killing The Children. I keep hearing about it but haven't read it myself. It could be what you're looking for.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
You could check out Something Is Killing The Children. I keep hearing about it but haven't read it myself. It could be what you're looking for.
Sounds interesting. I'll check that one out thanks!!

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Always try Uzumaki by Junji Ito. That kinda messed me up abit when I was drunk. :lol: