Comparing old United teams to the current one

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I've probably started a similar version of this thread before at some point, but, I was watching our 2009/2010 League cup second leg vs City on MUTV earlier, and it was just interesting to watch that United team (which I remember being underwhelming compared to the previous seasons) compared to the current one.

A few (mainly obvious) things that it was pretty difficult not to note due to how stark the contract was:

1) We used to have MUCH better footballers. Near enough every pass was precise, every player could bring the ball under control and keep possession even under tight pressure from multiple opponents. Most of the decision making was very good. Every player seemed both composed but would also move the ball immediately rather than need 2-3 seconds to think about where to play it. Every single pass seemed to have a forward thinking purpose to it. No one was falling to the floor the second they were challenged because they were all strong enough to hold the opponent off unless there was an opportunistic reason to win a foul. Then obviously there's Scholes who would just make the whole game look easy. I don't think its an exaggeration to say any player in that team would be our best player now. Apart from probably Fletcher, but then even with him I'm not sure if he was just quiet because Carrick and Scholes were next to him.

2) We used to have players who worked MUCH harder and were far more pro-active. A little bit damning on the current team, but watching this game back really brought it into contrast. Every player is constantly on the move. Defensively as soon as the ball is loose there is ALWAYS a United player either first to pick it up or immediately challenging for it. The reaction is instant. As soon as one player engages defensively, the forward or midfielder on that side is reacting to act as cover. The team looked like a well drilled hard working unit and you could see how much more difficult it was making it for an actually pretty decent City side to even string a spell of possession together. Compare that to now where I wouldn't say we are lazy, but most of our players don't even seem to react until an opponent has already picked up the ball. Even Nani who I remember being quite infuriating, would stick out like a sore thumb now due to being so much more disciplined and hard working/aggressive than all of our other forwards. This probably contributes somewhat to point 1 above

3) Walking while in possession of the ball. Not a single United player did this, at a single point, in the entire 90 minutes. They were either running with it or passing it. I remember it infuriated me when this walking about in possession started to creep into our game, and now it seems to be standard, particularly for our defenders. Rio/Vidic (or Evans in this case) are giving the ball straight to the midfield or moving purposely into space. There isn't time for the opposition to set and face them and it visibly makes a difference because it means as soon as we're in possession we are on the attack. None of the 3 minutes of dithering about between the back four before the ball even attempts to go anywhere. Maybe this was a bit different if we played teams who sat back, but I don't remember it being.

4) The idea SAF was tactically naive or had started to be left behind by the modern game, I think is somewhat of a myth. The way were set up and playing was very similar to how a lot of the better sides play now. Aggressive and organised out of possession and then direct in possession, but with little to no percentage balls. VDS sweeping around is area and rarely if ever punting it aimlessly up the pitch apart from in the 90th minute. Boxing opponents in, passing patterns, deliberate exploiting of space. The team pressing and dropping off as a unit with noticeable difference between pressing and defensive shape. It was blatant there was a lot of tactical organisation drilled into the team and I think that's something it was harder to notice at the time because we'd just take it for granted as a basic base level of every performance, for years. I would say the pace and athleticism of the game in the modern day has definitely increased, but even so I don't think many current teams could live with that United side as it was then, because there was just no real let up in the physicality and its not like any of them were slow.

5) Howard Webb was a genuinely terrible referee, even by today's standards. I mean Jesus fecking christ. No wonder things are getting worse under him.

6) Craig Bellamy. Not a point to note other than that I forgot how irrationally angry he always was. What a weirdo.

Better players - to a man - all over the pitch.

Better manager by an almost comical discrepancy.

Better CEO, again by an almost laughable margin.

The best stadium in the country vs one that gets overlooked for major tournaments.

A culture of ruthless winning, expressing yourself on the pitch and being the best.

Not just a completely different team… but a completely different club.

I would say the off the ball work rate would be the most obvious difference. I think it was enabled by having pace in defence and midfield as well. They could hold a higher line and really dominate against the attackers. The ball could be recovered quickly. Players like that need to be identified and bought in. Todibo fits that profile.

Putting the quality aside, Man United was a team of fighters. Player never gave up and even when they fell down or lose, they kept coming at it again. Even when we lost 6-1 against City, we fought hard while being a one man down and tried to equalize which ended up backfiring but the point stands. When we lost the league we stormed through the next season. These players were just refusing to stay down. They kept getting up and trying.

Now we lose our heads once we concede and ends up shipping goals for fun. The manager is terrible and the players are of low quality, but they're not fighters as the older generations, and fighting doesn't mean just putting efforts. They put efforts alright, but they don't have the "never give up" mentality. This mentality is what made Man United what it's as a big club. Compare the 6-1 loss against Man City to the 7-0 or 5-0 against Liverpool. They're all big results alright, but the mentality of the team was completely different.

I watched a sky review of the 94/95 season when Blackburn won the league.

Schmeichel let a fair few dodgy goals in
Keane, Ince. What an engine room
Cantona, Hughes, McClair, bought Cole.
sharpe, giggs, kanchelskis on the wings

great attacking, defence left a bit of room for improvement but it was an era for strikers
.. shearer, Sutton, hirst, deane, Collymore, yorke; rush, Fowler, Duncan Ferguson to name just a few

the football was entertaining. It just made me realise the boredom that we are being served up now and I don’t just mean United

You're only talking about a decade ago. I've been watching games from the 60s to very early 70s and near enough everything you listed could be applied here, too. Even Best, who was the best in the world at some point during this era I'm watching, worked hard off the ball. You'd think, oh, this flamboyant attacker who's seen as a pretty boy would see defending as below him, but no. It's so refreshing to see.

great attacking, defence left a bit of room for improvement but it was an era for strikers
.. shearer, Sutton, hirst, deane, Collymore, yorke; rush, Fowler, Duncan Ferguson to name just a few

the football was entertaining. It just made me realise the boredom that we are being served up now and I don’t just mean United

Made a comment like this the other day when talking about Utd in Europe. Teams were so much more aggressive and direct with their passing back then. Not talking about long balls either, when the ball was won they were instantly looking to pass forward, and it led to games being so open and back and forth. Pep and Barca almost cracked the code with their possession game, also helped by better pitches and the laws going more towards protecting attacking players, but it has led to nearly everyone playing the same style, the game has lost of the individualism that made it so enjoyable in favour of efficiency and systems, and lots of passive passing.

I would say the off the ball work rate would be the most obvious difference. I think it was enabled by having pace in defence and midfield as well. They could hold a higher line and really dominate against the attackers. The ball could be recovered quickly. Players like that need to be identified and bought in. Todibo fits that profile.

I think it's a confidence and motivation thing too. A lot of it you can imagine is how Ten Hag wants this current side to play, but a lot of the battle is convincing the players to believe and have enough confidence in it to be on the front foot and aggressive with applying it, and then identifying which players are and aren't up to it. Then it's also about convincing every player the tactics and application is more important than their ego.

I remember Cole used to annoy me because he'd miss so many chances, when you watch his highlights back now he was a ridiculous player. Push up and he'd run in behind and score. Drop back and he'd take you on and score, or just bang goals in from outside the area. Occasionally might decide to chip the keeper from 30 yards or bicycle kick volley a goal in from the edge of the box. Hed link up well with every other forward. How were you meant to defend against him other than just hoping he'd have one of his Welbeck finishing games?

A lot of the individuality has gone from players now too. Everyone either seems to be a pacey forward or is playing as part of the system. You don't really get players like Zola, Okocha, Le Tissier, Cantona, Di Canio etc. anymore who have the individual flair that no other player can replicate. I feel like Berbatov was one of the last I can remember. Rooney too but that side of his game faded out the older he got.

Last edited:
You're only talking about a decade ago. I've been watching games from the 60s to very early 70s and near enough everything you listed could be applied here, too. Even Best, who was the best in the world at some point during this era I'm watching, worked hard off the ball. You'd think, oh, this flamboyant attacker who's seen as a pretty boy would see defending as below him, but no. It's so refreshing to see.
Very much so! Morgan too, and later Coppell.

Gordon Hill not so much though.

I think it's a confidence and motivation thing too. A lot of it you can imagine is how Ten Hag wants this current side to play, but a lot of the battle is convincing the players to believe and have enough confidence in it to be on the front foot and aggressive with applying it, and then identifying which players are and aren't up to it. Then it's also about convincing every player the tactics and application is more important than their ego.
Last season was a step change in the off the ball work from the Ole and Rangnick reign. This season it comes and goes. Probably due to important personnel missing through injuries.

I remember Cole used to annoy me because he'd miss so many chances, when you watch his highlights back now he was a ridiculous player. Push up and he'd run in behind and score. Drop back and he'd take you on and score, or just bang goals in from outside the area. Occasionally might decide to chip the keeper from 30 yards or bicycle kick volley a goal in from the edge of the box. Hed link up well with every other forward. How were you meant to defend against him other than just hoping he'd have one of his Welbeck finishing games?

A lot of the individuality has gone from players now too. Everyone either seems to be a pacey forward or is playing as part of the system. You don't really get players like Zola, Okocha, Le Tissier, Cantona, Di Canio etc. anymore who have the individual flair that no other player can replicate. I feel like Berbatov was one of the last I can remember. Rooney too but that side of his game faded out the older he got.

Andy Cole might be the most underrated player England has ever produced. His peak was probably 2000 when he was just a superb all round forward, people will always look at his 40 goal Newcastle season but he was a far better footballer in his later days at Utd than the Newcastle version. Erratic finisher, but so quick and agile, fantastic movement, scored every type of goal and formed working partnerships with everyone bar Cantona. When you look at the caps guys like Vassel, Crouch and Defoe got in comparison to Cole, and I liked Defoe, but he was very much the poor mans version of Cole.

There’s a dissertation three to be written about United then versus United today from top to bottom, but apart from the gulf in quality then v now what I see is far less work rate. At any given moment today you might see 2 or 3 players working hard and being aware of potential opportunities and danger, but in the past we saw nearly all 10 outfield players physically and mentally engaged at all times.

Prime example is Rashford, our starboy, who just couldn’t give a fukk when he doesn’t have the ball. He’s not alone.

I was thinking that the other day, we just don’t see those players anymore. What a sad time for entertainment in football.

Extreme tacticality post Barca/Pep changed the sport forever. Every game is a midfield/pressing battle now and space is nonexistent anywhere, so you get far less entertaining end to end matches.

Not really sure what will happen to change it if I'm honest. You most likely need notable rule change. I'd like if they allowed for much more leniency with offsides honestly. It would punish all of the high line/sweeper teams more drastically and probably make managers re-think their defensive structures to allow for some more space in the middle of the pitch.

That's why as much as people hate Neymar for his diving I always really appreciated him. He's the last entertainer we've had in football. Players coming up now will just have it coached out of them to the extreme for better or worse. Hell just go back and watch Grealish in his Villa days, people here thought he should be the next Beckham for us before City signed him and now he's almost a meme of a player that people laugh at since majority of what he does is receive a pass before passing it backwards.

I was thinking that the other day, we just don’t see those players anymore. What a sad time for entertainment in football.

The most annoying thing is the individual flair has been replaced with about 20 mi uses of every game being taken up by players laying on the floor pretending to be hurt.

That was the other thing I noticed, and this is only a decade ago, but there were NO injuries. Apart from Bellamy getting hit by a coin and City trying to slow the game down a bit, thwre were no unecessary stoppages....none of these 3 minute breaks 6 times a half because some man baby needs the world to know his toe got trodden on even though it didn't.

This is going down a different theme to the thread but modern day football is actually quite pathetic.

Better players - to a man - all over the pitch.

Better manager by an almost comical discrepancy.

Better CEO, again by an almost laughable margin.

The best stadium in the country vs one that gets overlooked for major tournaments.

A culture of ruthless winning, expressing yourself on the pitch and being the best.

Not just a completely different team… but a completely different club.

I agree with your post except for the 'missing out on major tournaments' bit. Completely not arsed about it at all.

Old Trafford could do with a tune-up, not forty jumbotrons, a cheese room and some godawful corporate title: The BeIn Sports Bowl or some other shit.

Let city host Jon Bon Jovi and gentrify Ancoats with unaffordable housing. Let Old Trafford be a football stadium first, second and last.

This morning was great prem matches on sky and it was Arsenal beating us at OT for a 1-0 in 98, Overmars winner.

I was shocked at the pace of the game, the skill, the play and the general feel. Was a great advert for the league, we had a weakened squad tbh.

The stats were apparently Arsenal hadn't beaten us at OT in the PL era nor scored? Might have that last one wrong but crazy how dominant we were.

90s Prem had some absolute ballers across the pitch.

This squad is laughably bad compared to what we used to have. Not a single player would start in our pre 2013 PL sides. Any season.

Fergie was the main difference. He won the league with Tom Cleverley in midfield, one of the biggest flexes ever.

A player who often stands out when you watch games from the mid 90's is Nicky Butt. Around 95/96/97 when at times he was keeping Scholes out of the team, not solely because of tactical reasons, but due to simply being better at that stage. Was watching the 95 FA Cup final, he was our best player in that loss, with Keane and Ince on the pitch. He was quick, had really positive passing, good first touch, great spring for headers, could run with the ball and was far too brave for his own good with the tackles he went into. I think he was a better player at 20 than he was in what would be expected to be his prime years. Gave Utd a lot of good years but probably didn't reach his full potential.

The reason I highlighted Best is because, in more recent eras, if you won the Ballon d'Or and ended up becoming a worldwide superstar - being labelled as "o Quinto Beatle" - with the crowd in awe of you everywhere you went, you could see defending as below you, but Best didn't.

You can jump even further ahead with Beckham. Became a superstar, had women falling for him everywhere, won everything at club level and really should've won the Ballon d'Or himself, but he was always one of our most hardest working players. Even Ronaldo worked harder defensively than some of our players today, and he was more prone to, shall we say, reserving his energy when out of possession :D

The reason I highlighted Best is because, in more recent eras, if you won the Ballon d'Or and ended up becoming a worldwide superstar - being labelled as "o Quinto Beatle" - with the crowd in awe of you everywhere you went, you could see defending as below you, but Best didn't.

You can jump even further ahead with Beckham. Became a superstar, had women falling for him everywhere, won everything at club level and really should've won the Ballon d'Or himself, but he was always one of our most hardest working players. Even Ronaldo worked harder defensively than some of our players today, and he was more prone to, shall we say, reserving his energy when out of possession :D
True. Beckham always worked his socks off. Nani too; his decision making could be faulted, but the effort he put in couldn’t.

I’m honestly not sure when we started to become a lazy team. Ole called the players out for it soon after being made permanent, but he was never able to change it.

We had better players that on top of that worked harder. Not to mention the best manager of all time.

Extreme tacticality post Barca/Pep changed the sport forever. Every game is a midfield/pressing battle now and space is nonexistent anywhere, so you get far less entertaining end to end matches.

Not really sure what will happen to change it if I'm honest. You most likely need notable rule change. I'd like if they allowed for much more leniency with offsides honestly. It would punish all of the high line/sweeper teams more drastically and probably make managers re-think their defensive structures to allow for some more space in the middle of the pitch.

It used to be more leniency with tackle. We have player himself and fans talked about midfield general, bossy in the park etc. Even brag about career ending tackle.

Carrick was criticised for not being hard tackle, as if you are not a good MF if you have never break someone's leg in your career. Nowadays you can get punished even after the game.

The difference would naturally be enormous. That team would pummel this one leaving them bruised, battered and chasing shadows.

I think football now has become more about fitness and intensity - a team of athletes that can press for 90 minutes

I've probably started a similar version of this thread before at some point, but, I was watching our 2009/2010 League cup second leg vs City on MUTV earlier, and it was just interesting to watch that United team (which I remember being underwhelming compared to the previous seasons) compared to the current one.

A few (mainly obvious) things that it was pretty difficult not to note due to how stark the contract was:

1) We used to have MUCH better footballers. Near enough every pass was precise, every player could bring the ball under control and keep possession even under tight pressure from multiple opponents. Most of the decision making was very good. Every player seemed both composed but would also move the ball immediately rather than need 2-3 seconds to think about where to play it. Every single pass seemed to have a forward thinking purpose to it. No one was falling to the floor the second they were challenged because they were all strong enough to hold the opponent off unless there was an opportunistic reason to win a foul. Then obviously there's Scholes who would just make the whole game look easy. I don't think its an exaggeration to say any player in that team would be our best player now. Apart from probably Fletcher, but then even with him I'm not sure if he was just quiet because Carrick and Scholes were next to him.

2) We used to have players who worked MUCH harder and were far more pro-active. A little bit damning on the current team, but watching this game back really brought it into contrast. Every player is constantly on the move. Defensively as soon as the ball is loose there is ALWAYS a United player either first to pick it up or immediately challenging for it. The reaction is instant. As soon as one player engages defensively, the forward or midfielder on that side is reacting to act as cover. The team looked like a well drilled hard working unit and you could see how much more difficult it was making it for an actually pretty decent City side to even string a spell of possession together. Compare that to now where I wouldn't say we are lazy, but most of our players don't even seem to react until an opponent has already picked up the ball. Even Nani who I remember being quite infuriating, would stick out like a sore thumb now due to being so much more disciplined and hard working/aggressive than all of our other forwards. This probably contributes somewhat to point 1 above

3) Walking while in possession of the ball. Not a single United player did this, at a single point, in the entire 90 minutes. They were either running with it or passing it. I remember it infuriated me when this walking about in possession started to creep into our game, and now it seems to be standard, particularly for our defenders. Rio/Vidic (or Evans in this case) are giving the ball straight to the midfield or moving purposely into space. There isn't time for the opposition to set and face them and it visibly makes a difference because it means as soon as we're in possession we are on the attack. None of the 3 minutes of dithering about between the back four before the ball even attempts to go anywhere. Maybe this was a bit different if we played teams who sat back, but I don't remember it being.

4) The idea SAF was tactically naive or had started to be left behind by the modern game, I think is somewhat of a myth. The way were set up and playing was very similar to how a lot of the better sides play now. Aggressive and organised out of possession and then direct in possession, but with little to no percentage balls. VDS sweeping around is area and rarely if ever punting it aimlessly up the pitch apart from in the 90th minute. Boxing opponents in, passing patterns, deliberate exploiting of space. The team pressing and dropping off as a unit with noticeable difference between pressing and defensive shape. It was blatant there was a lot of tactical organisation drilled into the team and I think that's something it was harder to notice at the time because we'd just take it for granted as a basic base level of every performance, for years. I would say the pace and athleticism of the game in the modern day has definitely increased, but even so I don't think many current teams could live with that United side as it was then, because there was just no real let up in the physicality and its not like any of them were slow.

5) Howard Webb was a genuinely terrible referee, even by today's standards. I mean Jesus fecking christ. No wonder things are getting worse under him.

6) Craig Bellamy. Not a point to note other than that I forgot how irrationally angry he always was. What a weirdo.

theres an overlap interview with Neville and Bellamy if it’s of any interest

he’s quite open about his anger and what he tries to do to manage it

theres an overlap interview with Neville and Bellamy if it’s of any interest

he’s quite open about his anger and what he tries to do to manage it
He is indeed

There's quite a few interviews that Neville as done with former players, some ex-team mates and some not, they're worth watching because they give some insight in to what went on in those days or why certain things happened the way they did, there also a lot more respect between former rivals than you'd imagine

Going back even further. Watch old videos of Charlton, Law, Kidd, and Aston. They were always looking for space, always dragging opposition players around. Look at the amount of times opposition attacks were thwarted in their own half of the pitch because of the high defensive work of our forwards.

Ain't that the truth.

Controversial decision but I think players are too protected. The tackling that get red cards today, the threat of head injury by heading the ball. Overblown how dangerous these tackles actually were. How many leg breaks in your lifetime can you remember? In which eras did they take place? Are injuries less common now with 25+ squads and 9 subs vs 18 players squads and 3 subs? I don't think so. I liked it when they added the rule (or more like added the emphasis) of tackling from behind being a red card but since then I don't think the rules have been improved.

Diving is way more common now and nothing has been done about it.

The way all teams play out from the back is aching to the 90's pre-backpass rule era.

The death of the #10 and the poacher.

Definitely angry man yells at cloud everything was better in my days vibes but maybe not. I can't relate to any of these millionaire footballers. Which male fan here can't relate to Steve Bould?

I want to mention diving again because of how shit it is. When the Scottish and Nordics started doing it there was no more hope.

Ain't that the truth.

Controversial decision but I think players are too protected. The tackling that get red cards today, the threat of head injury by heading the ball. Overblown how dangerous these tackles actually were. How many leg breaks in your lifetime can you remember? In which eras did they take place? Are injuries less common now with 25+ squads and 9 subs vs 18 players squads and 3 subs? I don't think so. I liked it when they added the rule (or more like added the emphasis) of tackling from behind being a red card but since then I don't think the rules have been improved.

Diving is way more common now and nothing has been done about it.

The way all teams play out from the back is aching to the 90's pre-backpass rule era.

The death of the #10 and the poacher.

Definitely angry man yells at cloud everything was better in my days vibes but maybe not. I can't relate to any of these millionaire footballers. Which male fan here can't relate to Steve Bould?

I want to mention diving again because of how shit it is. When the Scottish and Nordics started doing it there was no more hope.
You say it's overblown, at the time it might appear so but there's a long-term approach as well, look at some ex-players, some of them can barely walk, a lot have piled on the pounds because they can't train to keep in half decent shape, and the numbers of dementia cases is scary, the number of ex-players with dementia is way above the normal average for people the same age, and it's an issue that other sports have recognized as well, rugby being an example

You say it's overblown, at the time it might appear so but there's a long-term approach as well, look at some ex-players, some of them can barely walk, a lot have piled on the pounds because they can't train to keep in half decent shape, and the numbers of dementia cases is scary, the number of ex-players with dementia is way above the normal average for people the same age, and it's an issue that other sports have recognized as well, rugby being an example
Do you attribute that to injuries suffered on the pitch or is it more related to recovery, rehabilitation and fitness and strength coaches being less common and not as educated?

Edit: I'm 35 and am like this and I quit football at 18. Misdiagnosed by a doctor, not properly treated (same knee problem as Scholes) and got not strength training and trained excessively so muscle injuries were common.