Conceding corners

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Bit premature thread. If Burnley concede 4 corners tomorrow they go top. Let's see what happens in their game before we draw any hasty conclusions.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
it stems from the stupid amount of soft free kicks we give away as well. Our players seem to love having a little nibble when trying to win the ball.

they then launch it into the box and we either fail to deal with it or put it out for a corner.

We then don’t seem to deal with corners properly and clear them, they end up getting about 4/5 in a row. same thing happened at chelsea.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
it stems from the stupid amount of soft free kicks we give away as well. Our players seem to love having a little nibble when trying to win the ball.

they then launch it into the box and we either fail to deal with it or put it out for a corner.

We then don’t seem to deal with corners properly and clear them, they end up getting about 4/5 in a row. same thing happened at chelsea.
Arsenal had 3 within the first 90 seconds. Must be some kind of record.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel

AR87

We have to be the worst team in the world at clearing corners also, which leads to one corner turning into 3 on the bounce.

I do think some of this has to do with De Gea's reluctance to come off his line and command the six yard box.

AgentP

We also concede some of the silliest corners. Easy clearances are pushed behind. Our defenders try to guide the ball out for a goal kick but it hits their body and becomes a corner. Basically schoolboy defending at times.

Dominos

I don't think enough people make the connection between how bad we are on the ball and how bad that can make us look off the ball.

We lose the ball in easy possession so often it's embarrassing. So often under absolutely no pressure, poor passes, sloppy touches, team mates on a completely different wavelength so player makes a run in behind and the pass goes to feet and vice versa. Every loss of possession means a potential counter attack for the opposition, an opportunity for them to play the ball forward in behind our defence or into the channels, a chance for them to get the ball into our final third, a chance for them to win free kicks around our box, a chance for them to win corners.

Now we were terrible defending counter attacks under Ole this season, and the focus was always on how bad the midfield and defence are but there was never a question of why we gift so many counter attack opportunities to the opposition by losing the ball needlessly.

Every time we find ourselves under pressure or defending a set piece I find myself thinking "this all stems from X player losing the ball in easy possession 20 seconds ago".

Now all teams are guilty of being sloppy. But by elite team standards, the frequency of our basic errors is far too high. If we cut out the losses of easy possession by 50% that's so many less set pieces we'd have to defend. Of course we need to be better off the ball so we can win it back, but if you have to win the ball back (for example) 40 times a game instead of 80 times a game you'll be surprised how much more solid the midfield and defence look even if their efficiency in winning the ball back remains the same, they're simply being left exposed less often.

Dominos

Am I right in thinking under Ole we literally had everyone back in our own box for the corners? No wonder we couldn't get out..

Acole9

Outstanding
We have to be the worst team in the world at clearing corners also, which leads to one corner turning into 3 on the bounce.

I do think some of this has to do with De Gea's reluctance to come off his line and command the six yard box.
It does my head in. It's almost reckless at times, a fair amount of them they definitely have time to clear it up the pitch.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
There was one in the second half where Maguire I think cleared at the near post and Lindelof watched it trickle by him to go out for the corner. Chase it and put it out for a throw ffs.

Fitchett

Am I right in thinking under Ole we literally had everyone back in our own box for the corners? No wonder we couldn't get out..
Yes, I could never understand why he don't have one player stationed in the centre circle, as an outlet. Dan James' pace would have been ideal for this. This would mean the opposition having to put one or two men there, to stop our counter.