Conte | Spurs Manager

SER19

Young, vidal, sanchez, Godin. Etc. These are way past their best players that aren't good enough for a decent CL challenge. Even we wouldn't touch them these days and we're a way off challenging.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Ancelotti is generally the exception among Serie A managers in Europe this century. Mourinho had that one glorious season at Inter.

Italian teams haven't fared well in European competition over the past 20 years. Inter reaching the final of The Europa League last season was the 1st time an Italian club contested the final since Parma in 1999!
Ancelotti is the opposite of Conte, good European pedigree but his league record is awful.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Would much prefer if he took Pogba.

Not sure why Conte is getting criticised here also by some. Inter only lost the title by a single point last season. The previous season before he arrived they finished 21 points behind Juventus. Also got to a Europa League final.
Inter gave everything he wanted that they could realistically get. Mostly got rid of players he didn't want, one way or another. Entertained offers for players he didn't consider untouchable so they could use the money to try and get players he liked more

They could have signed Kumbulla and Tonali this window, two of the best young prospects in Italy. Instead they got him Vidal and Kolarov, because he wanted Vidal and Kolarov instead

Last year he did really well, but then took a public dump all over the place. Then the club bent over backwards to make him happy, and now they're looking waaaay off the pace. Inter are supposed to win the league this year. If they don't it's a massive failure for Conte. Not getting out of a CL group with a not great real madrid, shakhtar and gladbach, especially given the circumstances, would be a big failure
Guess they got in Godin to do that but he struggled with 3atb.
Not really, Conte just didn't like him and he was too expensive to keep. So instead Conte wanted Vidal, and he got Vidal. The guy who cost them a win against gladbach and possibly another yesterday....

Champagne Football

Are you saying this summer counts for OGS, but doesn’t count for Conte?

Even, one of those transfers was directly between the two clubs this summer. Very flawed analysis you have here. We sold Sanchez to Inter, but somehow that doesn’t count?

just looked up there transfer business and they have brought it 9 perm players and Darmian on loan. Cant see how you can say he’s not has a summer window this year!
If you had actually been following credible Italian sources before the full financial impact of the pandemic hit home, then it was clear Inter and Conte had a major spend planned with a summer wish list that included the likes of Pogba, Werner, Kante, Gabriel Jesus, Alaba. Barcelona had 100 million ready for Lautaro Martinez which Inter were gonna use towards a major shopping spree. Instead they were hit hard like a lot of clubs and they ended up bringing in a heap of bargain basement panic buy shite at the last minute, apart from perhaps Barella.

The players Utd have bought/loaned since the start of 2020 compared to Conte are on a different level altogether. Bruno, Van De Beek, Cavani, Telles and if Diallo turns out to be a star then all of a sudden Ole's supposed disaster window doesn't look too shabby at all.

Sanchez is a bargain basement signing for them who will play no more than a bit part role. Not sure where you're coming from to be honest when it's clear Conte would have had a very different transfer window were it not for the pandemic.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
It needs to be pointed out, Inter wasn`t really that close to the league, didnt Juve secure the league title, then lost the last 2 or something?

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
If you had actually been following credible Italian sources before the full financial impact of the pandemic hit home, then it was clear Inter and Conte had a major spend planned with a summer wish list that included the likes of Pogba, Werner, Kante, Gabriel Jesus, Alaba. Barcelona had 100 million ready for Lautaro Martinez which Inter were gonna use towards a major shopping spree. Instead they were hit hard like a lot of clubs and they ended up bringing in a heap of bargain basement panic buy shite at the last minute, apart from perhaps Barella.

The players Utd have bought/loaned since the start of 2020 compared to Conte are on a different level altogether. Bruno, Van De Beek, Cavani, Telles and if Diallo turns out to be a star then all of a sudden Ole's supposed disaster window doesn't look too shabby at all.

Sanchez is a bargain basement signing for them who will play no more than a bit part role. Not sure where you're coming from to be honest when it's clear Conte would have had a very different transfer window were it not for the pandemic.
They've still spent close to 100mil€ on players (making co-owned/loaned players full time signings)
Also Conte's kinda shit on the transfermarket - just look at what he did at Chelsea
Morata 66mil€
Bakayoko 40mil
Batshuayi 39mil€
Drinkwater - 38mil€
David Luiz - 35mil
Zappacosta - 25mil
[Irrelevant point] - 23mil
Emerson - 20mil

you can say the same about every team. Every club had to change their plans as a result of Covid, including United. Inter still signed 10 players, so to say he didn’t have this summer window is a flawed analysis.

SwedishFish

Guess they got in Godin to do that but he struggled with 3atb.
He's also an over the hill CB. Conte hasn't gotten it right with his signings so far and I dont see Inter challenging this year either. How much time will they give him?

el3mel

It's a good thing he realizes that if he's gonna get the sack it will be deserved. I think theu improved last season but they seem to have gone backwards this one.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
He must be devastated tonight. We should offer him a couple of new shiny toys in January as a sign of goodwill.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm scared, he might become available and the United board might hire him.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
His record in the european competitions is totally shocking considering he has coached Juventus, Chelsea and Inter Milan.

But i made the prediction that Inter Milan would stop Juventus for another Scudetto and the chance for this has increased today (Although i hope AC Milan will win it).

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
His record in the european competitions is totally shocking considering he has coached Juventus, Chelsea and Inter Milan.

But i made the prediction that Inter Milan would stop Juventus for another Scudetto and the chance for this has increased today (Although i hope AC Milan will win it).
It's really strange. When you look at top manager's with average/poor records in Europe (ala Wenger, Fergie pre Carlos Queiroz) you can almost always identify the reason (too idealistic) but with Conte on paper his methods should suit the CL down to the ground.

Gazza

It's really strange. When you look at top manager's with average/poor records in Europe (ala Wenger, Fergie pre Carlos Queiroz) you can almost always identify the reason (too idealistic) but with Conte on paper his methods should suit the CL down to the ground.
Small point, but this is a bit of a myth. He won it once and got to 2 semi finals before Quieroz was on the scene. You could only really level the “too idealistic” claim at 1994-1997, I’d say.
Not disagreeing with your overall point though!

abundance

Supports
Inter
Nah, I really don't think so.

In general... he's really bad at adapting game plan to the opponent, and truly awful at making subs adjusting things during the match.
Also his "winning mentality" is too obsessive and it's apparent that he makes his lads nervous, not confident, in every big match.

Specifically at Inter... we play a muscular 532 with scarce ball-playing qualities and simplistic off-the-ball movements, we don't have players that can dribble in tight space, we just hoof the ball up lacking precision and coesive build-up. We end up banging on the defensive wall against lesser teams that defend deep, while good teams easily outsmart and outpress us.

That really isn't a recipe to master the european stage.

SambaBoy

Nah, I really don't think so.

In general... he's really bad at adapting game plan to the opponent, and truly awful at making subs adjusting things during the match.
Also his "winning mentality" is too obsessive and it's apparent that he makes his lads nervous, not confident, in every big match.

Specifically at Inter... we play a muscular 532 with scarce ball-playing qualities and simplistic off-the-ball movements, we don't have players that can dribble in tight space, we just hoof the ball up lacking precision and coesive build-up. We end up banging on the defensive wall against lesser team that defend deep, while good teams easily ousmart and outpress us.

That really isn't a recipe to master the european stage.
How much do you rate Lautaro? Do you think he can be one of the best players in the world? There was a lot of hype around him this time last year but I haven't heard much recently.

Ludens the Red

Yeah like Gazza said, I get the point but bit harsh on Fergie. Conte and Wengers European records are complete trash up against Fergies, even pre Queiroz. I’m pretty sure Conte has already surpassed the amount of group stage exits Fergie had. Before Queiroz we still did a final, a few Semies and multiple quarters and would generally lose to top sides. I think Conte has now been sent packing by the likes of Psv, Galatasaray and Shaktar :lol:

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Small point, but this is a bit of a myth. He won it once and got to 2 semi finals before Quieroz was on the scene. You could only really level the “too idealistic” claim at 1994-1997, I’d say.
Not disagreeing with your overall point though!
It was also tougher back then because of that stupid foreigner rule we couldn't play with all our best players.

abundance

Supports
Inter
How much do you rate Lautaro? Do you think he can be one of the best players in the world? There was a lot of hype around him this time last year but I haven't heard much recently.
mmm, I don't know, really on the fence on him.
Many fellow Inter fans seem to think he's got it in him, and will surely make it.

My impression is that he's really raw and has to improve in every technical and tactical aspect to really affirm himself.

What he has for sure: he's a fighter, and when he's on fire he shows that fierce will to score typical of the greats.
Things like, wins a contested ball, then tries to dribble past defender, trips but still somehow manages to get past him almost falling, and then finds the net shooting completely off-balance.
He's got a short, robust physique, great balance and good flexibility that helps a lot with that.

His touch and shooting tecnique aren't the cleanest - when he's on fire he seems to magically find the right angle from everywhere, when he's not, he miss sitters and farts long-distance attempts.
His off-the-ball movements are still very instinctive - again, when he's on fire he pops up everywhere, makes great runs and classy contributions to build up; when he's not, he may reach a couple balls in a whole half. He's good at interplay but sometimes he seems to have horse blinkers.

Last autumn he was continuously on fire. He started every match super pumped, I don't now how many times he scored creating chances by himself in the first fifteen minutes of the game. By january, his form dipped, Covid lockdown came and went and he didn't seem to recover his brilliance for the rest of the season.

This season, he's starting to look bright again, but he's in one of that typical striker periods where one hits a lot of posts, miss chances by millimeters, and all deflections are unlucky. Looks so close to hit a great stride again but so far hasn't delivered as many hoped.

Also, Inter flow is very hit and miss, and he rarely gets clean service. He's one that can thrive with dirty balls, but at times being a forward in this team is exhausting...

Gazza

It was also tougher back then because of that stupid foreigner rule we couldn't play with all our best players.
Not to mention the fact that English teams had been banned from all European competition from 1985-1990, so there was an element of playing catch up with playing against European champions (and the Champions League was actually only for champions back then!)

Tapori

We actually had a very good record in Europe before Quieroz considering:
How long it had been before we entered elite europe again.
How the Foreigner rule grossly affected us.
Years of non-European contact that led to our elite teams unable to compete tactically with the best.

That Dortmund 98 Semi-Final still haunts me... so close.

Gazza

We actually had a very good record in Europe before Quieroz considering:
How long it had been before we entered elite europe again.
How the Foreigner rule grossly affected us.
Years of non-European contact that led to our elite teams unable to compete tactically with the best.

That Dortmund 98 Semi-Final still haunts me... so close.
They scored two scabby a/f goals as I recall. And we missed a score of big chances too.

Tapori

They scored two scabby a/f goals as I recall. And we missed a score of big chances too.
Aye.
Broke my heart. Their goals were proper jammy and we had so so many chances with better play. Paul Lambert the Scottish Manager was their left back I believe. Dortmund were a good team but we were better over both legs in general play and chances. I think it was away goals that did us.

Gazza

Aye.
Broke my heart. Their goals were proper jammy and we had so so many chances with better play. Paul Lambert the Scottish Manager was their left back I believe. Dortmund were a good team but we were better over both legs in general play and chances. I think it was away goals that did us.
I think we also lost Schmikes in the warm up over there so van der Gouw played. I think we also missed Giggs and Pallister. It’s amazing how the details from your earliest years watching the team (in my case) stand out so long later!

Idxomer

Fergie had won 3 European trophies before Queiroz.