Copa America

Dev

Kicks off this Tuesday. Anyone know if the squads have been announced for Brasil?

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
So did Gabby Heinze. Who is the only official United player at the comp. Don't know if he will be for much longer mind.

reddevilcanada

Argentina have the best chance of winnning it, this could be their starting 11:

-----------------------Abondonzieri

Zanetti-------Ayala--------------Milito-------Heinze

Cambiaso----Riquelme/Aimar-----Gago-----Messi

-----------Crepso/Milito------Tevez

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Argentina have the best chance of winnning it, this could be their starting 11:

Cambiaso----Riquelme/Aimar-----Gago-----Messi

-----------Crepso/Milito------Tevez
Yeah on paper they probably do but they had the best chance of winning it last time round only to get stumped by a young Brazillian team.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Do Brazil put out their best side in general? I imagine players like Ronaldinho need a rest?

reddevilcanada

Yeah on paper they probably do but they had the best chance of winning it last time round only to get stumped by a young Brazillian team.
true, but Ronaldinho and Kaka's absence will surely hurt and this team is quite inexperienced not to mention they haven't played together for long. But Brazil do tend to pull off almost impossible things when pressure if off, like their world cup win in 2002 when they almost didn't qualify for the WC.

Pocho

----------- Cambiasso---------Mascherano
----------------------Riquelme

-------------- Crespo------Tevez--------Messi

I like this better.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
Don't think there are any other ones, but Veron is in the Argentine squad :eek:
Good to see Veron back in the mix. He was close to being the best player in the world (for me anyway) when he signed for us. His international career became very stagnated and it was probably unfair. Ok, he didn't do great in the premier league but I'm not sure he ever really deserved to be sent into the Argentine wilderness as far as the international team is concerned.

RedF7

I like this better.

Good to see Zanetti back in the squad, I thought he had retired, or just didnt play anymore for Argentina.

UBERScholes

I'd find it flattering if someone hard rubbed agai
Sad that Walter Samuel's international career seems over

RedF7

Yes Argentina have a lot of great players, I wish I can watch them play should be some great football.

Good to see Anderson in the Brazil sqaud too, should be able to get a few views on him, be much better then watching nani in the under 21s.

RedF7

Good to see Veron back in the mix. He was close to being the best player in the world (for me anyway) when he signed for us. His international career became very stagnated and it was probably unfair. Ok, he didn't do great in the premier league but I'm not sure he ever really deserved to be sent into the Argentine wilderness as far as the international team is concerned.
Yeah Veron should have been in the squad over the past few years, glad myself too see him back in it.

UBERScholes

Yeah I was just thinking were he was. Was a big fan of his, sames to have gone all down hill since the Madrid move.
Yeah it's a shame, he's one of my favourite players, fecking Madrid

UBERScholes

Argentina

Highly-rated Real Madrid starlet Gonzalo Higuain has chosen to commit his international future to Argentina, rather than France.

The striker - who joined Real in an £8.5million deal from River Plate at the start of January - has seen his international leanings become the subject of sustained debate over the past few months but has now opted to play for the country where he grew up.

Higuain currently holds a French passport having been born in Brest whilst his father Jorge played professionally for the town's club.

However, the 19-year-old has now signalled his intention to play for Alfio Basile's Albiceleste after deciding to appeal for an Argentinian passport based on the fact that he moved to the country at just 10 months old.

"It's a choice from my heart," Higuain told L'Equipe.

"All my friends, my family and my football are from over there. I couldn't imagine myself taking another decision."

Higuain rejected an international call-up from French coach Raymond Domenech in November, but is not expected to be in Argentina's squad in February when they coincidentally play Les Bleus in a friendly encounter.

RedF7

Yeah it's a shame, he's one of my favourite players, fecking Madrid
I question his mentality towards the game just samed to give up on playing really. shame 5 or 6 years ago looked really promising for him. Bet Madrid help in it tho.

Cornell

I like this better.
Don't Argentina play with a back three?

reddevilcanada

does anyone know who higuain has decided to play for?
I heard from an Argentine friend of mine that he wanted to play for the national side in Copa America rather than the U20 WC and when he wasn't in the squad he got pissed and was also left out of the squad for the U-20 WC in Canada as well. Apparently he EXPECTED to play in the national side but ended up out of both.

Shaydee

The US have named the weakest squad in years for the Copa. I think we will lose all our matches.

zing

Zingle balls
Er, didn't Riquelme retire like last year from the NT?

reddevilcanada

Er, didn't Riquelme retire like last year from the NT?
I think you're right, but kudos to him for coming back when he can be useful for his national team. He's been on great form with Boca and won them the Copa Libertadores almost single-handedly.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
According to buenos aires papers this is the list of players that will be in Argentinas debut on copa america: Abbondanzieri; Zanetti, Ayala, G. Milito, Heinze; Verón, Mascherano, Cambiasso; Riquelme; Messi y Crespo

RedF7

According to buenos aires papers this is the list of players that will be in Argentinas debut on copa america: Abbondanzieri; Zanetti, Ayala, G. Milito, Heinze; Verón, Mascherano, Cambiasso; Riquelme; Messi y Crespo
With that team, Argentina will be hard too beat, properly reach the final, inless they play Brazil before that.

Kiwi_fan

I'm a little pisspot
Is Lucho Gonzalez out of favour then? From what I've seen he's a terrific midfielder, and started for the Argies in the WC.

kleberson_

the last time they won it, they played a bunch of nobodys.. and beat argentina on penalties.
Not really, Adriano was on the bench for instance. Brazil always puts out a good team, even thou they are resting ronaldinho and kaka for this tournament, i still see them as favourites by far

reddevilcanada

Not really, Adriano was on the bench for instance. Brazil always puts out a good team, even thou they are resting ronaldinho and kaka for this tournament, i still see them as favourites by far
:lol:

you're kidding yourself mate, Do you even know who is in the Brasil squad? Their first eleven is most likely this:

Helton, Maicon, Juan, Alex, Gilberto, Miniero, Diego, Elano, Robinho, Love.

Compare this to the Argentinian squad and you'll know that Argentina are the clear favourites as they have most of their big guns for the tournament. However, it does help Brazil in that the pressure will not be as much on them as they would been seen as the 'underdogs' in comparison to Argentina.

Justin

:lol:

you're kidding yourself mate, Do you even know who is in the Brasil squad? Their first eleven is most likely this:

Helton, Maicon, Juan, Alex, Gilberto, Miniero, Diego, Elano, Robinho, Love.

Compare this to the Argentinian squad and you'll know that Argentina are the clear favourites
Of course Argentina would be the favourite if Brazil is going to only field 10 men ;)

Justin

so whats the likelihood of anderson getting a start for brazil?
Maybe the odd start and sub appearances. The 3 attacking players behind the lone striker looks pretty solid for Anderson to breakthrough.