Coronavirus Champions League - QF - Pat Mustard vs Enigma

With players at their career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
.............................................PAT MUSTARD.......................................,,,...................................................ENIGMA

TEAM PAT MUSTARD

Formation: 3-3-1-3 Bielsa influenced.

Off the Ball:

- Pele/Puskas is one of the best striker combos imaginable around the box, so we press higher to limit their opportunities to link up in that zone. Pele's pace in behind is a threat, but he's not likely to outstrip Nesta/McGrath in 1v1s.
- Enigma is likely to tout Pele as an AM rather than a striker - Pirri is an ideal candidate to either provide the spare man against a two man attack or act as a DM if Pele is really functioning as an AM. The formation is fluid against the opposition's main man.
- Negligible Wide Threat: Roberto Carlos is a GOAT at what he does, but passed off between Figo/Neeskens/McGrath as the zonal scheme dictates, he looks containable. On the other flank, Conti/Cabrini looks like a cancelling out job.

On The Ball:

- Puskas/Pele will offer little in terms of pressing, and we see our GOAT wingers generally operating high up the pitch where they're most dangerous. Spencer, with his mobility, technical ability and aerial prowess, looks an ideal fit for the system in terms of both quality and fit. Schuster's range of passing from deeper midfield areas will be crucial for finding the attackers early and accurately, and Enzo looks well-placed to orchestrate things from the advanced playmaker position.

TEAM ENIGMA

Formation: Zona mista inspired.
Style: Direct, counter-attacking.

Player Profiles:
GK: Gordon Banks
- Complete keeper, one of the best ever with the most famous save in the game.
LB: Roberto Carlos - Attacking full back, manning the wing like only few in history could.
RB: Philipp Lahm - balanced and one of the greatest readers of the game at full back position.
CB: Lucio - Excellent in the air and on the ball.Will start attacks from deep.
CB: Karlheinz Forster - stopper.
CM/DM: Jean Tigana - defensive central midfielder. Protects the back four.
CM: Wilem van Hanegem - a mixture of playmaker and B2B. Controls the tempo, actively participates in the defensive phase and adds a lot of power and height in the midfield battle.
AMC: Rivelino - Participates in both phases. Ability to beat his man pull the strings in the attacking third, but also adds great work rate to the midfield.
RW: Bruno Conti - Another winger notable for his stamina and work rate. Plays as a right winger in both phases.
SS: Pele - the GOAT. Free role. Will terrorize the opposition defence, and also force them into mistakes.
CF: Ferenc Puskas - Probably the greatest finisher in the game. He will play closer to the box this time, with Pele slightly off him.

Defence: One of the greatest pure stoppers in the game is paired with Lucio who is a bit underrated in drafts, not being picked in the first round. Lucio is a treble winning CB who is great on the ball and at a time was in contention for the best CB in the world. Lahm is balanced full back able to tuck in but also participate in the attacking third when called upon.

Midfield: van Hanegem and Tigana combo have it all as a pair - tireless running, stamina and defensive game coupled with playmaking ability, excellent on the ball and power. Rivelino would also put a shift in to allow more control in midfield when we're off the ball, whilst Bruno Conti offers a lot in both phases.

Attack: Puskas/Pele is a deadly combination of pace, power, dribbling ability and having all it takes to unlock any defence. Puskas will be closer to the box in this game and with all the creativity behind him he will have many chances to prove his deadly finishing, whilst Pele will be in his GOAT reincarnation in free role.

Key Strengths:
  1. Individual quality - fantastic attacking unit with one of the greatest strikers in the game.
  2. No weakness in any line - complimentary players in every position, whilst also having tactically and individually great players
  3. Work rate - very industrious side able to provide in both phases that can outmuscle and outrun the opposition.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I like the look of Edgar's team.

GodShaveTheQueen

Pat going for the best student award.
He's won it by a mile :lol:

But props to Enigma as well for changing things around.

Number of managers who have changed their tactics is more than I expected.

Enigma_87

You know who
To start with - big props for Pat for going with such bold formation. The right back issue probably forced his hand a bit but this is really creative and didn't expect that :)

However I don't think most of his players suit a high press approach. Best, Spencer, Enzo and especially late Schuster aren't really very good pressing options. Could probably argue about Cabrini too.

Figo and Neeskens I can agree with, but pressing is usually a group effort and if you have even a single slacker in your team - the whole premise falls apart. Spencer is a classic center forward who isn't really used to press defenders and wasn't his style. Best and Enzo are nonchalant types that took their break off the ball. Late Schuster was more of a midfield general from deep that controlled the tempo and is more suitable for deeper approach - like Cabrini for that matter.

Carlos and Conti are two great options on the break that can easily disrupt the opposition defensive line and would require an additional player to cover - opening up the space for Puskas and Pele in the center.

A blow for blow approach is well suited for our team, considering we have more firepower up front and two of the greatest finishers in the game - Pele and Puskas - whilst also a lot of secondary scoring options like van Hanegem, Rivelino, Carlos, etc..

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

Enigma_87

You know who
Enigma I think you could have gone with a 4-4-2 here.
I think it suits my players better and to their strengths a bit more, whilst in the same time would exploit Pat's right flank with Bobby Carlos providing the width.

Wanted to shift things around a bit and probably losing Passarella made my mind as the CB pool was a bit shot for a second pick and Carlos gives me a lot of options to work that inside left channel that Pele/Puskas love.

I'm actually pretty happy with how it turned out and pretty much all players look at home in their roles.

Moby

Dick
I think it suits my players better and to their strengths a bit more, whilst in the same time would exploit Pat's right flank with Bobby Carlos providing the width.

Wanted to shift things around a bit and probably losing Passarella made my mind as the CB pool was a bit shot for a second pick and Carlos gives me a lot of options to work that inside left channel that Pele/Puskas love.

I'm actually pretty happy with how it turned out and pretty much all players look at home in their roles.
This works as well of course but would have preferred Pele as #10/SS playing behind Puskas with Rivelino in his 1970 role of the left sided AM. Would be a proven combo as well and generally give more presence on your left flank. Carlos overlapping Rivelino would work like a charm while on the other side Lahm could play as a traditional fullback behind Conti. Not sure about Lahm as a CB-RB hybrid, when he's a CM-RB hybrid and I don't remember him playing as a CB.

Enigma_87

You know who
This works as well of course but would have preferred Pele as #10/SS playing behind Puskas with Rivelino in his 1970 role of the left sided AM. Would be a proven combo as well and generally give more presence on your left flank. Carlos overlapping Rivelino would work like a charm while on the other side Lahm could play as a traditional fullback behind Conti. Not sure about Lahm as a CB-RB hybrid, when he's a CM-RB hybrid and I don't remember him playing as a CB.
Yeah, obviously Rivelino and Pele would interchange like they did in 1970 on occasions.

Pele would drop deeper and move central whilst Rivelino would drift to the left. Generally both will work that inside left channel as they love to but Carlos presence will boost the effect even further.

Lahm played as a CB in some games for Bayern but he's not exactly a CB or rigid Gentile role and I'm not really playing him like that. His main role would obviously to mind Best. When we're on the ball he will cover the holder space (pretty close to CM-RB hybrid) when for example Lucio gallops forward(Tigana will also provide support in midfield minding his run), although Lucio was not that expansive of a libero type to break the shape on regular basis so I pretty much expect to keep the defensive line pretty much all time and him playing as a right sided defender.

When we are off the ball Lahm will move wide in his primarily role to face Best, whilst Carlos would track back to make it a four man back line - very close to 4-4-2.

Generally it's not that different in terms of mechanics to 4-4-2 off the ball, although I'd probably call it 4-5-1 with Pele moving closer to the midfield to help out and Puskas staying forward.

My main idea with Lahm in rather conservative role(and zona mista-ish setup) is to shut down that left flank of Pat which is pretty potent, but in our side we would have Conti/Tigana/Lahm to negate the Enzo/Best/Cabrini with Lucio acting as a spare man covering either Forster or that zone if needed.

Pat_Mustard

To start with - big props for Pat for going with such bold formation. The right back issue probably forced his hand a bit but this is really creative and didn't expect that :)

However I don't think most of his players suit a high press approach. Best, Spencer, Enzo and especially late Schuster aren't really very good pressing options. Could probably argue about Cabrini too.

Figo and Neeskens I can agree with, but pressing is usually a group effort and if you have even a single slacker in your team - the whole premise falls apart. Spencer is a classic center forward who isn't really used to press defenders and wasn't his style. Best and Enzo are nonchalant types that took their break off the ball. Late Schuster was more of a midfield general from deep that controlled the tempo and is more suitable for deeper approach - like Cabrini for that matter.

Carlos and Conti are two great options on the break that can easily disrupt the opposition defensive line and would require an additional player to cover - opening up the space for Puskas and Pele in the center.

A blow for blow approach is well suited for our team, considering we have more firepower up front and two of the greatest finishers in the game - Pele and Puskas - whilst also a lot of secondary scoring options like van Hanegem, Rivelino, Carlos, etc..
The right back situation definitely played into my decision to go with this formation I admit :D . I personally would have no issue with playing Neeskens at RB (he won a European Cup there after all) but I doubt it would have been a popular choice.

Most of these players weren't selected with this particular system in mind but I'm happy enough with their suitability for the task at hand. Best is actually the least of my worries. He's typecast as a lazy bastard but it just wasn't true before his career went off the rails. I posted these quotes in a previous match:

Joe Lovejoy (Best biographer) said:
Tackling, another of Best's strengths, came naturally.
George Best said:
That was a matter of pride. Sir Matt always said that I was probably the best tackler at the club, and that was a hell of a compliment.I actually enjoyed the physical side of it. I had people trying to kick me, and if they took the ball away from me it was an insult. I wanted it back. I remember once we played at Birmingham, and Noel Cantwell was captain at the time. It was a really muddy day, and towards the end of the game Noel made a run down the left, someone knocked the ball off to their right-winger, and Noel was caught out of position, with no hope of getting back. 'George' he said 'do you think you can get there?' I thought: I'll get back alright. I was a skinny eighteen year old kid, in six inches of mud, but I chased this winger for fifty or sixty yards and tackled him to get the ball out for a throw-in. I felt so chuffed. I felt like Superman when I got up after the tackle. I got him.
There's more quotes from that book that I'll try to dig out about Best finishing near the top of Utd's fitness tests in both long distance runs and sprints. I wish to feck I could find the video (I'm sure I posted it before but can't find it), but there was extended highlights of some random Utd match from the 60s and the most notable thing was that Best's first 2 or 3 successful actions were all in the defensive phase.

I'll try to elaborate further later but basically:

- diligent defender
- supremely fit
- innate desire to get back on the ball as soon as possible

I have very little doubt regarding his fit here.

Cabrini: largely played in counter-attacking systems but a brilliant athlete and tireless runner - I don't see any reason whatsoever why he wouldn't work in a pressing system.

Francescoli: ran himself into the ground with little support for Uruguay when necessary (which was often) so in terms of mentality he's not an ill-fit. I think most would agree if they watch this:

that pressing wouldn't be beyond him either physically or mentally.

Spencer: Classic counter-attacking player granted, so it's not a given that he fits the pressing system. He is ideal in the attacking sense in terms of being a target man with the ability to hold the ball up and bring teammates into play, and impressed people in the Dead Drafters Society with the modern nature of his playing style:

Spencer really caught my eye though - he’s a perfect striker for the modern game, drifts out wide, links up play, nimble and dangerous.
How that translates to a pressing system I'll leave to the voters, but his mobility and movement is a fine start in terms of the required attributes. It's the lumbering types or the outright lazy off the ball that I'd doubt the most, and I don't think Spencer ticks either box in that regard.

Schuster: Interested to hear what others think about this but I tend to think that a higher defensive line system tends to expose a player in the DM position that lacks pace and agility less than other tactics. Busquets and Guardiola in two different Barca vintages, Ancelotti and Albertini under Sacchi for Milan and Italy respectively, for example, weren't supreme athletes and would to varying degrees struggle with defending larger zones whereas they were fine defending more constricted zones in pressing systems.

Last edited:

Pat_Mustard

Tbh I like seeing Rivelino in that central gig, as he probably doesn't get enough love in drafts in general much less in his best position. I'm nowhere near as keen on Lahm as RCB n a Zona Mista influenced system though. I could buy him in an RCB role in a higher line/possession style team without much difficulty, but it doesn't look a good choice in a largely counter-attacking system.

Moby

Dick
Tbh I like seeing Rivelino in that central gig, as he probably doesn't get enough love in drafts in general much less in his best position. I'm nowhere near as keen on Lahm as RCB n a Zona Mista influenced system though. I could buy him in an RCB role in a higher line/possession style team without much difficulty, but it doesn't look a good choice in a largely counter-attacking system.
I agree on both counts, Rivelino in a more central gig is great in a team built around him, but not one that has Pele in it who has to be the central cerebral heartbeat of the team, that's what put me off. In this team Rivelino has to be on the left and have Pele as the out and out leader of that attack, same as it was in 1970. You don't have anyone take that position over Pele, as simple as that. For me that's blasphemy.

And for Lahm, yeah he's a bit of an eyesore in that position and role. Not really convinced by the explanation and I would simply have him as the traditional RB. Don't think this change improves anything on the front of him handling Best either.

Pat_Mustard

I agree on both counts, Rivelino in a more central gig is great in a team built around him, but not one that has Pele in it who has to be the central cerebral heartbeat of the team, that's what put me off. In this team Rivelino has to be on the left and have Pele as the out and out leader of that attack, same as it was in 1970. You don't have anyone take that position over Pele, as simple as that. For me that's blasphemy.

And for Lahm, yeah he's a bit of an eyesore in that position and role. Not really convinced by the explanation and I would simply have him as the traditional RB. Don't think this change improves anything on the front of him handling Best either.
I see your point on Rivelino but still think he'd be more of a facilitator/deeper playmaker to complement Pele rather than step on his toes (although I really, really need to stop complimenting Enigma's set up at all). On that note, and this is a genuine problem for me rather than point-scoring, it's van Hanegem rather than Pele that makes Rivelino redundant for me. Between van Hanegem taking the lead with the deeper playmaking and Pele leading the final third stuff, I just don't see where he's meant to influence things here.

Agreed on Lahm. The RCB position does nothing to enhance his suitability for the Best gig (and he's not a bad fit for that in fairness), but presents him with more difficulties as Best has more space to pick up possession in that gap between RCB Lahm and Conti.

Enigma_87

You know who

Just to make a clarification on Lahm. His position is conservative right back, he's not a RCB and I don't intend to use him as such as I noted above. His role is mainly to mind Best and Lucio is not the expansive libero type that will break the shape of the defensive unit at will. There's little to no difference in Lahm role in a 4-4-2 or the formation above.

There is a difference to the classic zona mista when you have Scirea in it who is likely to push up a lot more than Lucio, so I don't think it will make a real difference to his natural role.

Enigma_87

You know who
The right back situation definitely played into my decision to go with this formation I admit :D . I personally would have no issue with playing Neeskens at RB (he won a European Cup there after all) but I doubt it would have been a popular choice.

Most of these players weren't selected with this particular system in mind but I'm happy enough with their suitability for the task at hand. Best is actually the least of my worries. He's typecast as a lazy bastard but it just wasn't true before his career went off the rails. I posted these quotes in a previous match:

There's more quotes from that book that I'll try to dig out about Best finishing near the top of Utd's fitness tests in both long distance runs and sprints. I wish to feck I could find the video (I'm sure I posted it before but can't find it), but there was extended highlights of some random Utd match from the 60s and the most notable thing was that Best's first 2 or 3 successful actions were all in the defensive phase.

I'll try to elaborate further later but basically:

- diligent defender
- supremely fit
- innate desire to get back on the ball as soon as possible

I have very little doubt regarding his fit here.

Cabrini: largely played in counter-attacking systems but a brilliant athlete and tireless runner - I don't see any reason whatsoever why he wouldn't work in a pressing system.

Francescoli: ran himself into the ground with little support for Uruguay when necessary (which was often) so in terms of mentality he's not an ill-fit. I think most would agree if they watch this:

that pressing wouldn't be beyond him either physically or mentally.

Spencer: Classic counter-attacking player granted, so it's not a given that he fits the pressing system. He is ideal in the attacking sense in terms of being a target man with the ability to hold the ball up and bring teammates into play, and impressed people in the Dead Drafters Society with the modern nature of his playing style:

How that translates to a pressing system I'll leave to the voters, but his mobility and movement is a fine start in terms of the required attributes. It's the lumbering types or the outright lazy off the ball that I'd doubt the most, and I don't think Spencer ticks either box in that regard.

Schuster: Interested to hear what others think about this but I tend to think that a higher defensive line system tends to expose a player in the DM position that lacks pace and agility less than other tactics. Busquets and Guardiola in two different Barca vintages, Ancelotti and Albertini under Sacchi for Milan and Italy respectively, for example, weren't supreme athletes and would to varying degrees struggle with defending larger zones whereas they were fine defending more constricted zones in pressing systems.
From what I've seen of Best he would look good in a possession side obviously, but asking him to press up high on every occasion simply is not what I've seen of him, same goes for Enzo. Going for couple of defensive runs is one thing, but keeping it for 90 mins straight is another.

Applying a pressing system is very hard to pull out as you have to tactically close all passing lanes, move as a team and do it on a regular basis. I'll let others to chime in but I think only Figo and Neeskens fit that philosophy and can do it for 90+mins.

There's also another thing, as soon as the ball is taken out from our defence (and our defenders are pretty comfortable on the ball), Schuster might find himself a bit isolated in the center, considering Pirri having a nominally deeper role and Neeskens minding the right wing.

Having said all that - good to see someone like Enzo getting a deep run in drafts, he was fantastic player that deserves some attention, but due to playing for a bit underwhelming teams in Europe he isn't very familiar to many.

GodShaveTheQueen

My only quip for Pat's team is that a reinforcement was wasted. I thought Drogba was an excellent fit for Best and Figo and as much as I love Spencer, he wasn't required here. Perhaps has a bit more finesse but I think Drogba would have been pretty fine as well.

Pirri probably should be occupying Schuster's position (almost ideal for this setup). The extra reinforcement could have filled up the defense.

For team Enigma, I dont mind the switch from the 442. Didn't like the Van Hanegem/Rivellino side of the midfield as it seemed light weight. The zona mista does provide more central assurance to let a light weight midfield pass.

Also love the role given to Rivellino here. Finally gets a slot in his absolute best position. Carlos pick was inspired and boy does he get a meaty role in the setup.

Enigma gets my vote for Rivellino and Carlos. Pat would have won it if that 3rd reinforcement was better utilized as the setup is absolute class (except for Schuster)

Pat_Mustard

Good game @Pat_Mustard ! Losing Carlos Alberto definitely played a big part in this game, unlucky.
Well played mate! I knew I was highly unlikely to win here but I enjoyed putting together the unusual tactic. Cheers for running this @GodShaveTheQueen . It was a fun draft to take part in.

Having said all that - good to see someone like Enzo getting a deep run in drafts, he was fantastic player that deserves some attention, but due to playing for a bit underwhelming teams in Europe he isn't very familiar to many.
Selling players that I feel are under-represented is easily my favourite aspect of drafting. Pirri fits in that group too. I'm about halfway through an all-touches video of him playing as a libero Hopefully I'll not be a lazy bastard and will finish it soon.

My only quip for Pat's team is that a reinforcement was wasted. I thought Drogba was an excellent fit for Best and Figo and as much as I love Spencer, he wasn't required here. Perhaps has a bit more finesse but I think Drogba would have been pretty fine as well.

Pirri probably should be occupying Schuster's position (almost ideal for this setup). The extra reinforcement could have filled up the defense.

For team Enigma, I dont mind the switch from the 442. Didn't like the Van Hanegem/Rivellino side of the midfield as it seemed light weight. The zona mista does provide more central assurance to let a light weight midfield pass.

Also love the role given to Rivellino here. Finally gets a slot in his absolute best position. Carlos pick was inspired and boy does he get a meaty role in the setup.

Enigma gets my vote for Rivellino and Carlos. Pat would have won it if that 3rd reinforcement was better utilized as the setup is absolute class (except for Schuster)
Aye, I did have very mixed feelings about not using Drogba at all as he'd have been a great fit in this system, and in my previous match for that matter. My problem was that after losing Cristiano I really felt I needed an elite goalscorer, and while Drogba's contribution extends way beyond goals he was quite a patchy goalscorer (only broke the 1 goal every 2 matches barrier in the league in 4 seasons in his European club career). You're right of course that Pirri in midfield and someone else in defence would have been more robust. Krol was still available I think and he'd have been perfect really.