Coronavirus Cricket Auction Draft (Test)

FINAL: Which team would win on a slow dustbowl minefield?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
QF4: Norris vs Interval

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Please vote for one of the teams that you believe would win on a flat pancake road.

Discussions encouraged. Write ups to follow.

Team @Norris
  1. Gary Kirsten
  2. Gordon Greenidge
  3. Wally Hammond
  4. Sachin Tendulkar
  5. Javed Miandad
  6. Frank Worrel (C)
  7. Quinton de Kock (wk)
  8. Richard Hadlee
  9. Mitchell Johnson
  10. Shane Warne
  11. Jeff Thomson

Team @Interval
  1. Herbert Sutcliffe
  2. Bill Woodfull
  3. Brian Lara
  4. Alvin Kallicharan
  5. Clyde Walcott (wk)
  6. Steve Waugh (c)
  7. Mike Hussey
  8. Anil Kumble
  9. Jimmy Anderson
  10. Denis Lillee
  11. K Rabada

Samid

Team @Norris Cole

Team NorrisMatchesHigh ScoreBatting Average100s50sWicketsBowling AverageEconomyFifer10er
1. Gary Kirsten10127545.272134NANANANANA
2. Gordon Greenidge10822644.721934NANANANANA
3. Wally Hammond8533658.4522248337.82.3620
4. Sachin Tendulkar20024853.7851684654.173.5200
5. Javed Miandad12428052.5723431740.112.7800
6. Frank Worrel (C)5126149.489226938.722.2420
7. Quinton de Kock †4712939.12521NANANANANA
8. Richard Hadlee8615127.1621543122.292.63369
9. Mitchell Johnson7312322.211131328.43.33123
10. Shane Warne1459917.3201270825.412.653710
11. Jeff Thomson514912.8100200283.1880

Captaincy
Sir Frank Worrel was the first hero of the new nation of a new nation of Barbados. Once appointed, he ended the cliques and rivalries between the players of various islands to weld together a team which in the space of five years became the champions of the world. So it makes sense that he's going to lead this diverse group of world-class players to glory.

Batting
The batting composition is methodical, tactical and patient complimented by some explosive hitting at the end. Kirsten is now paired with Gordon Greenidge, one of the most destructive openers of all time. He was a superb technician, with learned solid defensive techniques and allied these to an uninhibited Caribbean heritage

The Top order also sees Wally Hammond come in at one down. He was the closest rival to Don Bradman at his time, so his quality and reputation should not be undermined considering the era he played. Backing him is none other than The Little Master. This man could tame a lion if he wanted to, cut a birthday cake with poise and we would still be star struck at the sheer aura he and his Willow carries. Nothing more needs to be said.
If that is not enough, you have Miandad, Worrell to complement the batting with their ability to just keep on batting. Worrell especially a true All-rounder in his time and can expertly play the game at his own pace. The tail is completed by Quinton de Kock and Hadlee. Hadlee might have been more famous with the ball, but don't let that fool you.

Bowling
Opening the bowling would be two swing masters in Hadlee and Thompson. Hadlee elevated New Zealand to unprecedented heights unheard of for the little nation. He was considered as one of the four great allrounders of the 1980s, along with Ian Botham, Imran Khan and Kapil Dev. Hadlee was a tearaway, placing speed far ahead of guile, an attitude that was matched by his unkempt, long-haired appearance. As his know-how grew, however, so his run-up (and locks) shortened, and all the attributes of the model fast bowler fell into place. His lithe, whippy, side-on action made life uncomfortable for all the great batsmen of his era, as he extracted pace, bounce and movement from even the least responsive of surfaces. With an unusual slinging action and an aggressive approach, Thomson was a fearsome sight to batsmen. Over the years, he adapted his methods relying less on pure pace, and more on an excellent cutter, and seam and swing. He was always capable of unleashing a very fast bouncer that would skid and follow the batsman from only just short of a length.

New to the team is a Chubby little fella' Shane Warne. The greatest spinner of all time in tests without a doubt [Ok, Murali might give some doubt, Warne has just so much in his locker when the red ball is in his hands; a zooter, slider, toppie and back-spinner, one that drifted in, one that sloped out, and another that didn't budge. He revived legspin, thought to be extinct, and is now pre-eminent in a game so transformed that we sometimes wonder where the next champion fast bowlers will come from.

The Flat Pancake
My batting should not come into question at all considering that I have two of the absolute greatest batsmen of all time in Hammond and Sachin. Scoring will not be a problem and the boring pitch will just be greater evidence of it. So I expect my team to make mammoth scores and put Interval's team under pressure with precision bowling with the likes of Hadlee, Thomson, Johnson, Warne just relentlessly bowling at them. It could be a close game considering that it's a batsmen's paradise, but considering the bowling at my disposal, I have full faith that Team Norris will enter the Semis of the Coronavirus Draft.

---

Team @Interval

1. Herbert Sutcliffe: Averages 61; One of the best openers in the draft
2. Bill Woodfull: Averages 51 as an opener - calm, patient, technically adept; Captain of Australia in the Bodyline series. Part of the best Aussie teams ever.
3. Brian Lara: Averages 53 and 60+ at nos 3. One of the best batsmen in ever.
4. Alvin Kallicharan: Averages 44. Probably amongst the best West Indian batsmen ever and part of the best W. Indies team ever.
5. Clyde Walcott (WK): Averages 57. Probably amongst the best West Indian batsmen ever. Need I say more?
6. Steve Waugh (c): Averages 50+ also amongst the best captains ever. Bowls too
7. Mike Hussey: Averages 52. Reliable. Can play around the lower order too.
8. Anil Kumble: 619 wickets @30. Long spell bowler. Extra-ordinarily useful on flat tracks too. Can bat a little and has a test hundred and 5 fifties.
9. Jimmy Anderson: Swing king. 584 wickets @27. Will help capitalise on early morning swing
10. Denis Lillee: 355 wickets@24. Will scare the scrap out of the opposition.
11. K Rabada: Great bowler. 197 wickets @ 23 and can scare the shit out of anyone on his day.

Strategy: Draw every test with a batting that will never ever run out. Nick an odd one.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
I can only buy one player next round I think so it is not possible. I kinda screwed up the squad building part last round so I don't have any replacements for my existing players.
sell weekes get sobers. everything sorted.

I really should have gone Moby's route in the last reinforcement round :lol:

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
sell weekes get sobers. everything sorted.

I really should have gone Moby's route in the last reinforcement round :lol:
Think selling rule has changed now. i won't get anything for weekes but i was bummed to see that Sobers overlaps with him.

harshad

Scout
Team @Norris Cole

Team NorrisMatchesHigh ScoreBatting Average100s50sWicketsBowling AverageEconomyFifer10er
1. Gary Kirsten10127545.272134NANANANANA
2. Gordon Greenidge10822644.721934NANANANANA
3. Wally Hammond8533658.4522248337.82.3620
4. Sachin Tendulkar20024853.7851684654.173.5200
5. Javed Miandad12428052.5723431740.112.7800
6. Frank Worrel (C)5126149.489226938.722.2420
7. Quinton de Kock †4712939.12521NANANANANA
8. Richard Hadlee8615127.1621543122.292.63369
9. Mitchell Johnson7312322.211131328.43.33123
10. Shane Warne1459917.3201270825.412.653710
11. Jeff Thomson514912.8100200283.1880

Captaincy
Sir Frank Worrel was the first hero of the new nation of a new nation of Barbados. Once appointed, he ended the cliques and rivalries between the players of various islands to weld together a team which in the space of five years became the champions of the world. So it makes sense that he's going to lead this diverse group of world-class players to glory.

Batting
The batting composition is methodical, tactical and patient complimented by some explosive hitting at the end. Kirsten is now paired with Gordon Greenidge, one of the most destructive openers of all time. He was a superb technician, with learned solid defensive techniques and allied these to an uninhibited Caribbean heritage

The Top order also sees Wally Hammond come in at one down. He was the closest rival to Don Bradman at his time, so his quality and reputation should not be undermined considering the era he played. Backing him is none other than The Little Master. This man could tame a lion if he wanted to, cut a birthday cake with poise and we would still be star struck at the sheer aura he and his Willow carries. Nothing more needs to be said.
If that is not enough, you have Miandad, Worrell to complement the batting with their ability to just keep on batting. Worrell especially a true All-rounder in his time and can expertly play the game at his own pace. The tail is completed by Quinton de Kock and Hadlee. Hadlee might have been more famous with the ball, but don't let that fool you.

Bowling
Opening the bowling would be two swing masters in Hadlee and Thompson. Hadlee elevated New Zealand to unprecedented heights unheard of for the little nation. He was considered as one of the four great allrounders of the 1980s, along with Ian Botham, Imran Khan and Kapil Dev. Hadlee was a tearaway, placing speed far ahead of guile, an attitude that was matched by his unkempt, long-haired appearance. As his know-how grew, however, so his run-up (and locks) shortened, and all the attributes of the model fast bowler fell into place. His lithe, whippy, side-on action made life uncomfortable for all the great batsmen of his era, as he extracted pace, bounce and movement from even the least responsive of surfaces. With an unusual slinging action and an aggressive approach, Thomson was a fearsome sight to batsmen. Over the years, he adapted his methods relying less on pure pace, and more on an excellent cutter, and seam and swing. He was always capable of unleashing a very fast bouncer that would skid and follow the batsman from only just short of a length.

New to the team is a Chubby little fella' Shane Warne. The greatest spinner of all time in tests without a doubt [Ok, Murali might give some doubt, Warne has just so much in his locker when the red ball is in his hands; a zooter, slider, toppie and back-spinner, one that drifted in, one that sloped out, and another that didn't budge. He revived legspin, thought to be extinct, and is now pre-eminent in a game so transformed that we sometimes wonder where the next champion fast bowlers will come from.

The Flat Pancake
My batting should not come into question at all considering that I have two of the absolute greatest batsmen of all time in Hammond and Sachin. Scoring will not be a problem and the boring pitch will just be greater evidence of it. So I expect my team to make mammoth scores and put Interval's team under pressure with precision bowling with the likes of Hadlee, Thomson, Johnson, Warne just relentlessly bowling at them. It could be a close game considering that it's a batsmen's paradise, but considering the bowling at my disposal, I have full faith that Team Norris will enter the Semis of the Coronavirus Draft.

---

Team @Interval

1. Herbert Sutcliffe: Averages 61; One of the best openers in the draft
2. Bill Woodfull: Averages 51 as an opener - calm, patient, technically adept; Captain of Australia in the Bodyline series. Part of the best Aussie teams ever.
3. Brian Lara: Averages 53 and 60+ at nos 3. One of the best batsmen in ever.
4. Alvin Kallicharan: Averages 44. Probably amongst the best West Indian batsmen ever and part of the best W. Indies team ever.
5. Clyde Walcott (WK): Averages 57. Probably amongst the best West Indian batsmen ever. Need I say more?
6. Steve Waugh (c): Averages 50+ also amongst the best captains ever. Bowls too
7. Mike Hussey: Averages 52. Reliable. Can play around the lower order too.
8. Anil Kumble: 619 wickets @30. Long spell bowler. Extra-ordinarily useful on flat tracks too. Can bat a little and has a test hundred and 5 fifties.
9. Jimmy Anderson: Swing king. 584 wickets @27. Will help capitalise on early morning swing
10. Denis Lillee: 355 wickets@24. Will scare the scrap out of the opposition.
11. K Rabada: Great bowler. 197 wickets @ 23 and can scare the shit out of anyone on his day.

Strategy: Draw every test with a batting that will never ever run out. Nick an odd one.
Thats the wrong Norris :D

@Norris

Mani

I can only buy one player next round I think so it is not possible. I kinda screwed up the squad building part last round so I don't have any replacements for my existing players.
You already got finally worthy squad, no worries there.

crappycraperson

Scout
How is the match up between @Interval and @Norris anything but a draw on flat pitch :lol: Interval's batting is crazy with "weak" link being Kalicharan.Both Anderson and Johnson will be useless on a flat pitch. Lillie is the best pacer out of everyone but Warne is there for Norris. No idea how to vote for this one.

Skills

Snitch
How is the match up between @Interval and @Norris anything but a draw on flat pitch :lol: Interval's batting is crazy with "weak" link being Kalicharan.Both Anderson and Johnson will be useless on a flat pitch. Lillie is the best pacer out of everyone but Warne is there for Norris. No idea how to vote for this one.
Johnson never really swung the ball, but I'm guessing a flat pitch means there's feck all pace/bounce on offer too.

Mani

Thanks. You drafted well to it was just a bad draw. I think your first round team would have beaten Oz's or EAP's team even this round.
Not completely satisfied with some of my picks and as you said tough first round match to begin with.

crappycraperson

Scout
Johnson never really swung the ball, but I'm guessing a flat pitch means there's feck all pace/bounce on offer too.
Johnson averages 40 in Asia. He is definitely useless on any pitch that will not offer him assistance. I am surprised Norris despite being loaded did not replace him.

Mani

Waugh should have batted at 4 and Alvin at 6.Johnson would be alright at this pitch, he's kind of bowler who put up lot behind the ball which gives him extra bounce,

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Not all flat pitches are in Asia there have been some absolute roads in Australia and England, so I wouldn't rely on Johnson's stats in Asia to asses how well he would do on flat pitches.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
I think you'd actually quite like Mitch's unpredictability on a flat pitch, with the left arm angle. He could easily go at 5.5 an over against this line up but may get the odd wicket.

Norris

No way, is his batting better than mine. Yes, he has Lara for sure who is a league above than the rest, but they still fall short of the batsmen I have.
And I don't agree that Johnson would be useless. He is the only left arm seamer among both teams and definitely would offer a variation to what the other bowlers are offering. He might not be able to offer much owing to the pitch conditions, but his unique position ensures, he can be unpredictable.
Yeah, I agree that, 4/5 times, it's going to be a draw, but play just enough games and I am sure to win at some point.

Norris

I am surprised Norris despite being loaded did not replace him.
The only one who I could replace him with in the previous reinforcement was Trueman. Felt it was better to keep him this round and if I proceed, find someone better.
Well, I've just said my plan for next round :|

Norris

I think we can agree, most of the time, this will be a draw, but I would say I have a greater chance of taking 20 wickets than Interval. Kumble, Anderson are pretty atrocious on grounds that do nothing for them. Not only will they struggle to take wickets, there is a good chance, they will leak runs.

I am not sure what a good barometer for a flat pitch would be, but I think Rabada would struggle as well. Key to such matches would be some degree of variation. Apart from the four prime bowlers I have, who are fairly diverse, you should also consider Worrell and Sachin. Worrell had a knack of keeping opposition quiet, which would be useful on such a pitch. Being a leftie, there is definitely something extra he could bring. Sachin, well, the man could literally bowl off breaks, leg cutters, a straight ball at will. He was pretty useful in breaking long partnership (Thought that might more in ODI admittedly). You need to have such players available when you know batsmen are going have an easy day out.

harshad

Scout
Lara to keep batting for 5 days and game ends in a draw?
Most likely scenario. But I have always felt Jumbo is underrated because he was never that great a spinner of the ball and all through the 90s he never had a partner like McGrath like Warne did. Feel on a flat wicket he could do more damage than one would think. Sydney 2004 comes to mind immediately

Mani

Most likely scenario. But I have always felt Jumbo is underrated because he was never that great a spinner of the ball and all through the 90s he never had a partner like McGrath like Warne did. Feel on a flat wicket he could do more damage than one would think. Sydney 2004 comes to mind immediately
Problem with Kumble is he struggled to get wickets away from India until that 2004 happened,there times when he had gone wkt less in the away matches.Kumble carrier is too long and easy judge and is good only in Indian conditions.

Interval

Level
No way, is his batting better than mine. Yes, he has Lara for sure who is a league above than the rest, but they still fall short of the batsmen I have.
And I don't agree that Johnson would be useless. He is the only left arm seamer among both teams and definitely would offer a variation to what the other bowlers are offering. He might not be able to offer much owing to the pitch conditions, but his unique position ensures, he can be unpredictable.
Yeah, I agree that, 4/5 times, it's going to be a draw, but play just enough games and I am sure to win at some point.
Wait. You're really arguing that your batting is better than mine? You mention Lara but naught about Clyde Walcott? You completely ignore the fact that your openers are meaningfully weaker than mine?

I can understand if you wanna argue that your bowling is superior. And even there I'd argue that Jeff Thomson on flat tracks would be bullied. Not to mention I rate Anderson higher than Mitch Johnson. But you have Warney.

But by no means honestly believe your batting is superior.

harshad

Scout
Problem with Kumble is he struggled to get wickets away from India until that 2004 happened,there times when he had gone wkt less in the away matches.Kumble carrier is too long and easy judge and is good only in Indian conditions.
Much of that is also due to the fact that he never had a partner to bowl in tandem with like Warne did. There is a reason why only Indian bowler from the 90s onward was even picked in the first round and I don't recall the likes of Prasad or Srinath in prior drafts.

Norris

Wait. You're really arguing that your batting is better than mine? You mention Lara but naught about Clyde Walcott? You completely ignore the fact that your openers are meaningfully weaker than mine?

I can understand if you wanna argue that your bowling is superior. And even there I'd argue that Jeff Thomson on flat tracks would be bullied. Not to mention I rate Anderson higher than Mitch Johnson. But you have Warney.

But by no means honestly believe your batting is superior.
Actually, I do believe. You have undoubtedly the better opening pair, but look at who I have in the top order. Sachin who is the best batsman among both teams.
I hope we agree on that?
Wally Hammond played in the same era as Don Bradman and early in his career even match the Don.
Here's a little snippet of their rivalry below.
https://www.cricketcountry.com/arti...osity-between-don-bradman-wally-hammond-11966
Just highlighting a small part below which probably tells you how much Bradman appreciated Hammond's batting.
Bradman, on his part, often effusively praised Hammond’s batting. He hailed Hammond’s 240 at Lord’s in 1938 as one of the greatest innings he had ever witnessed. He was also quite generous in his analysis of Hammond’s medium pace, saying that “he was too busy scoring runs to worry about bowling.”
On Walcott, you forget that he played in the same team as Worrell, infact, Worrel was the captain. So here is a little stat for you that you may not necessarily like.

I also have Miandad in the team and well, he's no slouch whatsoever. I'm not even including QdK and Hadlee even though both are fine batsmen themselves.
So yeah, even though,I agree your openers are better, I have the better collective group of batsmen.

crappycraperson

Scout
Your middle order is class too but his openers edge it for me. Having Hussey at 7 is better than De Kock too though you have Hadlee to follow so that equalizes a bit. I just don't rate Johnson to be anything but a passenger in these conditions so we will have to agree to disagree there.

Norris

Your middle order is class too but his openers edge it for me. Having Hussey at 7 is better than De Kock too though you have Hadlee to follow so that equalizes a bit. I just don't rate Johnson to be anything but a passenger in these conditions so we will have to agree to disagree there.
Fair enough. But I still feel I have less passengers. I don't think Anderson is going to be able to do anything that Johnson isn't. If I honestly compare the two, I would prefer Johnson on almost any surface except one with a bit of grass on it.

Mani

Much of that is also due to the fact that he never had a partner to bowl in tandem with like Warne did. There is a reason why only Indian bowler from the 90s onward was even picked in the first round and I don't recall the likes of Prasad or Srinath in prior drafts.
It’s not just partner harshad we never had proper wrist spinners to exploit the overseas condition batsmen’s overseas started to treat him as other medium pacer who got bit of bounces.He can hold it at one end without conceding much runs but struggled to find wicket himself.It was much later in carrier nearly end of his carrier I would say where found some success.

Norris

I am not sure how many know that much about Worrell, but reading his history was absolutely fascinating. I always try and get him in drafts, because his personality had so much aura about him. He was a genuine leader that united so many of the west indian states like Barbados, Jamaica etc and proved beyond doubt that a black man could lead the country.

Frank Worrell at the crease was all grace, class and elegance. Off the field he was charming, dignified and tranquil. He was the first black man to lead West Indies in a full series and on tour, and the first-ever cricketer to be honoured with a memorial service at the Westminster Abbey.

Worrell was a legend in the newly-formed independent island of Barbados. His cricket was an expression of poetry, a gushing fountain of joy through the late 1940s and most of 1950s. And then he tarried, spending a couple years to complete his education, perfecting the mould of his personality in becoming the ideal ambassador of his people. And finally he continued his career to his cricketing middle-age, his numbers falling prey to the effects of time, but secure in the goal of proving to the world that a black man could indeed lead the country. He did more than that. He forged the team into an unprecedented West Indian whole without chinks and fissures between the coteries of Jamaica, Barbados, Guyana and Trinidad. He became the most successful captain of West Indies before Clive Lloyd and Viv Richards rode the four pronged pace machine to better his deeds. And forever he remained a statesman for Barbados, for West Indies and for cricket. The year after he played his final Test match, Frank Worrell was knighted for his services to the game.
Full article here.
https://www.cricketcountry.com/arti...reatest-ever-statesmen-in-world-cricket-29550

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Really tough to choose, especially as I don't expect any side to take 20 wickets on a flat track.

Samid

Next draft there should be a draw option. Both teams get eliminated if the voters believe both are incapable of taking 20 wickets.

Himannv

Really tough to choose, especially as I don't expect any side to take 20 wickets on a flat track.
Not sure about that. Warne will take wickets on any track and Johnson and Thomson don't really rely all that much on the pitch to cause problems. Hadlee is one of the best bowlers of all time and will take wickets as well. Pretty good attack on any turf I reckon.