Coronavirus in football

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Are the Spurs players not vaccinated or something? Why are they having such a major outbreak? And if they are vaccinated and are basically going to have an asymptomatic or very mild case - shouldn’t this be treated like any other flu type virus?

If, at the end of the day, this is only really affecting the unvaccinated, do we really need to be so careful anymore?
You're all over the place with this post.

Being vaccinated doesn't stop you getting the virus for starters.
You can easily get a major outbreak if one player is infected. And as a squad might be 30-40 people all training closely, it just takes 1 of those to mix with the wrong person outside of their bubble to bring it in.
Being asymptomatic is irrelevant, a positive case will rule someone out.

As for that last line, that is probably why this thing keeps rumbling on.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Are the Spurs players not vaccinated or something?
Impossible to say, but there seems to be a lot of players in the PL who are not fully vaccinated.

Anyway, vaccination doesn't protect against contagion (and there is some indication that Omicron is even more contagious than Delta - not to mention that it's possibly significantly more vaccine resistant).

At this stage it would be madness to just treat it as a standard flu virus - I mean, we can hope (I don't think that's unrealistic personally) that it will become that before too long, but we aren't there yet.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
You're all over the place with this post.

Being vaccinated doesn't stop you getting the virus for starters.
You can easily get a major outbreak if one player is infected. And as a squad might be 30-40 people all training closely, it just takes 1 of those to mix with the wrong person outside of their bubble to bring it in.
Being asymptomatic is irrelevant, a positive case will rule someone out.
As for that last line, that is probably why this thing keeps rumbling on.
i didn’t say you couldn’t get the virus, but it seems unlikely that so many would get the virus if they are all vaccinated. And even if they do, how much does it really matter? The last thing I read on the guardian said there hadn’t been any severe cases of omicron amongst the vaccinated, and most vaccinated who contract COVID-19 have no or barely any symptoms. So as long as we protect the vulnerable, and put restrictions on the unvaccinated, is all this necessary?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
i didn’t say you couldn’t get the virus, but it seems unlikely that so many would get the virus if they are all vaccinated. And even if they do, how much does it really matter? The last thing I read on the guardian said there hadn’t been any severe cases of omicron amongst the vaccinated, and most vaccinated who contract COVID-19 have no or barely any symptoms. So as long as we protect the vulnerable, and put restrictions on the unvaccinated, is all this necessary?
This new strain is way more infectious than Delta which was way more infectious than the original strain of COVID - all it takes is one person to infect a large number of people if they are in close contact. I know of two people in the last 3 weeks - double jabbed who both contracted COVID - both very unwell for over a week and still experiencing vertigo and other symptoms a couple of weeks later. You appear to be woefully ill-informed.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
This new strain is way more infectious than Delta which was way more infectious than the original strain of COVID - all it takes is one person to infect a large number of people if they are in close contact. I know of two people in the last 3 weeks - double jabbed who both contracted COVID - both very unwell for over a week and still experiencing vertigo and other symptoms a couple of weeks later. You appear to be woefully ill-informed.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ly-evade-covid-vaccine-protection-study-finds

I mean, your evidence is anecdotal. I’m going off studies that show regular vaccination is partially effective against omicron resulting in no severe illness, and a booster shot is very effective against omicron, mainly leading to minor or asymptomatic conditions. I’ll admit I’m not informed about your health status of your mates.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Has the AFCON been cancelled yet, surely there's no way that can go ahead next month.

kps88

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ly-evade-covid-vaccine-protection-study-finds

I mean, your evidence is anecdotal. I’m going off studies that show regular vaccination is partially effective against omicron resulting in no severe illness, and a booster shot is very effective against omicron, mainly leading to minor or asymptomatic conditions. I’ll admit I’m not informed about your health status of your mates.
Not sure what you want to see changed here? Are you saying we should let positive cases carry on playing as long as they are asymptomatic?

Besides, I don't think boosters are freely available to all age groups in the UK yet.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I'm not sure this is entirely true, I think it's fair to say that most vaccinated people, so far, have not had to be hospitalised. I caught it in August two months after my second jab, I was in bed for 6 days and really horribly ill, four months on still struggle walking uphill or up a flight of stairs, but I didn't have to go hospital and I'm clearly still alive! I am certainly not alone in this, I know quite a few people in the same situation, this is of course anecdotal and we maybe the exceptions, but double jabbed certainly does not mean having no or barely any symptoms.

As for Omicron being a less serious variant in terms of how ill people get, we just do not know enough yet, at the moment it is rather like having a thousand cases to analyse and then extrapolating those results out to billions of people, all it takes is a tiny error or unobserved consequence and the ramifications could be huge. We have to treat it seriously until we know more.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Out until at least January with a lung issue after contracting Covid-19. Well...

NYAS

Should be a lesson to half our squad who get their news from Instagram and remain unvaccinated.

TheLord

One thing is seriously missing in contemporary media - deliberations based on unbiased scientific evidence. I can’t imagine the number of influential people still uncertain about the benefits of the COVID-19 vaccines.

People like Kimmich may or may not be thickos (I am no one to judge), but they are certainly victims of a society that is amazingly unqualified to perform even a basic scientific literature-search by themselves.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Outside their field of expertise(kicking a ball), they are just like everybody else, some are idiots, others, less so.

While i wish him a good recovery, its difficult to feel sorry for Kimmich when this was clearly preventable, he made his choice and has to deal with not playing for a while(looks like).

Gandalf

Good point. They've actually just brought the date forward a week so as not to clash with Fifa's world club thing. I too wonder if either will happen now.
I would be amazed if AFCON was cancelled because the nations involved are not known to willingly forego such a major moneyspinner. I could certainly see FIFA granting an exemption to clubs who do not want to release their star players to travel at this time and then it would come down to the players wishes. If a club can decline to release a player but he wants to play does the club stand firm?

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I would be amazed if AFCON was cancelled because the nations involved are not known to willingly forego such a major moneyspinner. I could certainly see FIFA granting an exemption to clubs who do not want to release their star players to travel at this time and then it would come down to the players wishes. If a club can decline to release a player but he wants to play does the club stand firm?
All in the air isn't it? I couldn't possibly predict how it will pan out, or not pan out. The thought of corrupt officials missing out is amusing, but it's very sad for players who have such a short career at the best of times.

Foxbatt

They should make it mandatory for all players to be fully vaccinated ( Unless for medical exemptions) if they want to play.

Foxbatt

What team was forced to play last season when they had 7 players infected?
Some team in Portugal. They fielded only 9 players including three keepers and eventually the match was stopped when two of their players got injured.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Not sure what you want to see changed here? Are you saying we should let positive cases carry on playing as long as they are asymptomatic?

Besides, I don't think boosters are freely available to all age groups in the UK yet.
I'm not sure this is entirely true, I think it's fair to say that most vaccinated people, so far, have not had to be hospitalised. I caught it in August two months after my second jab, I was in bed for 6 days and really horribly ill, four months on still struggle walking uphill or up a flight of stairs, but I didn't have to go hospital and I'm clearly still alive! I am certainly not alone in this, I know quite a few people in the same situation, this is of course anecdotal and we maybe the exceptions, but double jabbed certainly does not mean having no or barely any symptoms.

As for Omicron being a less serious variant in terms of how ill people get, we just do not know enough yet, at the moment it is rather like having a thousand cases to analyse and then extrapolating those results out to billions of people, all it takes is a tiny error or unobserved consequence and the ramifications could be huge. We have to treat it seriously until we know more.
Gosh, I didn’t know boosters weren’t available to all in the UK. I live in the US and they’ve been available for a while. It’s getting people to take them which is the issue. Only 60% of adults are fully vaccinated here, which is just shocking.

As far as what I’d like to see change. I’d like to see mandates. I think at this point we aren’t just talking about the health implications, as this has rapidly become a fairly non-serious issue for the vaccinated and is generally - on the serious end of the scale - a disease of the unvaccinated. If there are legality issues with making vaccination mandatory, I’d like to see very punitive actions put in place for the unvaccinated. Those with medically verified reasons for not being able to be vaccinated should have exemptions but for those choosing not to get vaccinated we should put in place lockdown restrictions. I am going to lose my business and life’s work if we shut down again this winter and it will be almost entirely due to the continued vaccine resistance.

We need an effective vaccine passport system that basically excludes anyone unvaccinated from participating in every day society. I am not concerned at the draconian nature of the measures because these people are putting the lives and livelihoods of everyone else at risk. In the 21st century it seems unthinkable to me that we are still having a vaccine debate. The PL should’ve made vaccination mandatory for players. 99.8% of the hospitalised and needing ventilators are unvaccinated, and it is this burden on the healthcare system that leads to the crisis. We have a solution, and we’ve had it for a while. There is little to no reason for this to remain an issue, other than the ongoing vaccine resistance amongst the stupid and selfish.

This far, a month after the emergence of Omicron, there have been no severe cases, in any cómitre, including South Africa where it started. It’s now in 57 countries. And while we are still early and limited in the data, the signs this far point to this not being a serious development. Ultimately it may even be helpful in that it’ll spread quickly amongst the unvaccinated population, not cause a significant health crisis, and provide wider blanket immunity. We’ll see. We can’t keep just shutting everything down. We either have to effectively force people to become vaccinated, or accept outbreaks as a part of life. The sensible choice there is to force vaccination.

Last edited:

Withnail

They should make it mandatory for all players to be fully vaccinated ( Unless for medical exemptions) if they want to play.
They were talking about something like that months ago. All players, officials, staff and the crowd would have needed to be vaccinated but it's just gone away it seems.

Foxbatt

They were talking about something like that months ago. All players, officials, staff and the crowd would have needed to be vaccinated but it's just gone away it seems.
I am sure that there are some sports which makes in mandatory for the players and officials to be fully vaccinated.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
One thing is seriously missing in contemporary media - deliberations based on unbiased scientific evidence. I can’t imagine the number of influential people still uncertain about the benefits of the COVID-19 vaccines.

People like Kimmich may or may not be thickos (I am no one to judge), but they are certainly victims of a society that is amazingly unqualified to perform even a basic scientific literature-search by themselves.
Salah is smart, people should like Salah.

Marooned

I am sure that there are some sports which makes in mandatory for the players and officials to be fully vaccinated.
Vaccines are good but they don't solve the problem. The only true option is to stop all the matches, events, flights, travels and everything for few months and stay home, but I don't think its feasible.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Gosh, I didn’t know boosters weren’t available to all in the UK. I live in the US and they’ve been available for a while. It’s getting people to take them which is the issue. Only 60% of adults are fully vaccinated here, which is just shocking.
Just to be clear, booster jabs have recently been made available to all adults in the UK and the time gap between your second jab and your booster/third jab reduced from 6 months to 3 months.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Salah is smart, people should like Salah.

Ah yes, the guy who partied during his brothers marriage with hundreds of others without wearing a mask when the pandemic was in a much worse state than now.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Outbreak at Spurs and potentially United and Villa too. Rough winter incoming for football.

djembatheking

It would be a worry if there was an outbreak in a squad that had a few players that suffered with asthma.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Could we slowly be approaching a crisis?

How many more teams in the next week could have outbreaks before football is suspended?

Would the Premier League be willing to write off Christmas football?