Coronavirus & United's Finances

DanClancy

Its going to be interesting to see too what extent United's finances are going to be affected by the ongoing issue.

Will United have to return money to ST holders if the games take place behind closed door in the event their even played.
Will the broadcasters be looking for a discount on what they've paid?
Will sponsors want a reduced rate?

Will it cause issues with FFP for other clubs as clubs? Expenditure won't be affected to the same extent as income will be.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
What percentage of United's income is match day revenue? I'd assume United are one of the few clubs who can absorb the impact as the commercial side is dominant and one of the things Woodward got criticized for when he said the performance on the pitch doesn't drastically effect commercial revenue.

I guess all of the PL and regular champions league clubs should be safe as they have really good TV rights income. Its the lower league level clubs and non-Real/Barca Spanish clubs that will fold.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
What percentage of United's income is match day revenue? I'd assume United are one of the few clubs who can absorb the impact as the commercial side is dominant and one of the things Woodward got criticized for when he said the performance on the pitch doesn't drastically effect commercial revenue.

I guess all of the PL and regular champions league clubs should be safe as they have really good TV rights income. Its the lower league level clubs and non-Real/Barca Spanish clubs that will fold.
Off the top of my head, I think its like 30+ percent.

Greck

Was wondering the other day if we might slightly be regretting paying upfront on last year's transfers. or is there some unlikely upside down scenario where it could actually put us in a better position. We certainly didn't do it expecting this year's profits to be gimped

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I think it's a safe bet that FFP regulations will be suspended for a few years, as many clubs will be in breach through no fault of their own due to reduced revenues.

RUCK4444

You would expect the biggest monetary loss would come from match day income.

I don’t understand how broadcasters and investors/sponsors would be entitled to any refund or be able to reduce rates agreed in contracts.

You would expect that they should have insurance to cover their potential loss.

It’s not the clubs fault that the FA have postponed the league and that the EL and CL are postponed.

That said, isn’t the TV money paid retrospectively and relative to how many televised games each club has played, on that basis the broadcasters may be able to hold money back until the legal side is thrashed out.

LInkash

Matchday revenue is actually a smaller percentage of total revenue for smaller Premier League clubs as they have smaller stadiums.

RUCK4444

I think it's a safe bet that FFP regulations will be suspended for a few years, as many clubs will be in breach through no fault of their own due to reduced revenues.
Always a silver cloud for City eh!

Watch them act with impunity again in the wake of this terrible pandemic.

Ventura

I wonder what all of this will do to transfer fees. Rich clubs will be less rich with smaller transfer budgets. Smaller clubs may have financial problems and be desperate to sell. I assume average transfer fees will go down due to the world going viral.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Always a silver cloud for City eh!

Watch them act with impunity again in the wake of this terrible pandemic.
Would probably be very helpful for a lot of clubs if the oil-backed teams started throwing a lot of cash around. That said, the oil price is currently in the toilet.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
You would expect the biggest monetary loss would come from match day income.

I don’t understand how broadcasters and investors/sponsors would be entitled to any refund or be able to reduce rates agreed in contracts.

You would expect that they should have insurance to cover their potential loss.

It’s not the clubs fault that the FA have postponed the league and that the EL and CL are postponed.

That said, isn’t the TV money paid retrospectively and relative to how many televised games each club has played, on that basis the broadcasters may be able to hold money back until the legal side is thrashed out.
The TV money is paid out as a lump sum of £95 million to each team in the Premier League and then an additional £1,2million for every game that is televised for your club. So yes and no. If this results in the league not being able to be completed, this could become a very complicated legal issue.

There's a good legal argument that this outbreak is not a Force Majeure event that could be covered by the relevant contracts.

cyril C

Off the top of my head, I think its like 30+ percent.
I think there was a thread on this, each Hosted game bring in around 2.5m revenue, so we are looking at 25m if 10 hosted games gone, whether behind closed door or cancelled. Base on 2016 figure, total match revenue is 21%, TV 27%, Commercial 52%.

TV money might be rebated, no way for commercial but we might need to throw in some sweetener. season ticket - good luck, probably get a discount next season...

cyril C

Would probably be very helpful for a lot of clubs if the oil-backed teams started throwing a lot of cash around. That said, the oil price is currently in the toilet.
Abramovich just lost 2.4B in 2020 already... Guess Chelsea will be on fire sale....

Which team owner is in the funeral business?

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
The TV money is paid out as a lump sum of £95 million to each team in the Premier League and then an additional £1,2million for every game that is televised for your club. So yes and no. If this results in the league not being able to be completed, this could become a very complicated legal issue.

There's a good legal argument that this outbreak is not a Force Majeure event that could be covered by the relevant contracts.
And what is that argument? Asking because we were reviewing our customer credit insurance policy at work today (in case our customers go bankrupt because of the virus and can’t pay), and the policy says that we’re not covered in case of “an act of God.”

'77FACup

Will the Glazers have to put in any of their own money or take out another loan if needed

Last edited:

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
And what is that argument? Asking because we were reviewing our customer credit insurance policy at work today (in case our customers go bankrupt because of the virus and can’t pay), and the policy says that we’re not covered in case of “an act of God.”
Well in short covid-19 has a comparable illness life-cycle as pneumonia or the common flu.

In december 2019 the National Institute of Medicine in the US publised this study on influenza respiratory mortality: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6815659/

Results
We estimated an average of 389 000 (uncertainty range 294 000-518 000) respiratory deaths were associated with influenza globally each year during the study period, corresponding to ~ 2% of all annual respiratory deaths. Of these, 67% were among people 65 years and older. Global burden estimates were robust to the choice of countries included in the extrapolation model. For people <65 years, higher baseline respiratory mortality, lower level of access to health care and seasons dominated by the A(H1N1)pdm09 subtype were associated with higher influenza-associated mortality, while lower level of socio-demographic development and A(H3N2) dominance was associated with higher influenza mortality in adults ≥65 years.

Granted, it should be noted that covid-19 is NOT the flu, just comparable. The mortality patient group is identical to influenza and presents identical symptoms. But we do not for example have any data on herd immunity, long term recovery effects etc. There is currently no vaccine that is ready for mass market, but a human trial study have started in the US and China, and Japan are having success treating patients with ebola medication, pulling the recovery time down from 4.5 days to just 2.2-2,5, but everything is still very early days.

The argument is that the outbreak, when compared to the similar respiratory illness, des not yet qualify as a force majeure event. The measures being put in place that affects everyone right now is not an act of god as the contracts stipulate, but an act of man. Or to be more precise, an act of democratically elected governments.

Essentially, most employees and employers are not in the risk group for covid-19 and can technically still go to work for most part. Most people don't even know they have been infected,

We're all part of a global undertaking to stop the spread of a dangerous respiratory disease, but so far it doesn't even sniff the scale of the one that makes its round every winter. It should be noted that I fully support the quarantine and I have not left my house since it started, but I don't believe force majeure necessarily qualifies.

Important to note is that there is no generic definition of Force Majeure in British common law that I can find, so the wording of the contract is important.

The very key factor when enacting the Force Majeure clause is wether an action or performance becomes impossible. Simply having less business does not actually qualify. For example: Gamestop having less customers because of a government advice not to leave the home is NOT a Force Majeure event. Airlines being banned from flying by the same governemnt, IS a Force Majeure event as it makes operation impossible.

Following the MERS and SARS outbreaks, force majeure contracts would usually include the wording "pandemic" or "outbreak". Act of God is wildly open to interpretation. But in this spesific case I guess it depends on what your customers actually do. But as long as they are not physically hindere from doing business, they probably don't have a strong case.

Last edited:

Greck

Will the Glazers have to put in any of their own money or take out another loan if needed
More likely they'll plunge the club further into debt to guarantee, finance, insure their other businesses. Good thing they actually have shareholders to report to now