Coropa League - QF - Green Smiley vs Edgar Allan Pillow

With players at their career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
...........................................GREEN SMILEY.........................................................................EDGAR ALLAN PILLOW

TEAM GREEN SMILEY

3-5-2 with two world-class wing backs roaming up and down the flanks. Schnellinger moves to sweeper position supporting Ruggeri and Tresor at the back.

In midfield, Bonhof as holding midfielder, Tardelli as B2B, and Netzer as attacking midfielder

Upfront, Kubala as second striker just behind vas B

TEAM EDGAR ALLAN PILLOW

Formation: 4-2-1-3

Defense:

+ Best GK of all time!
+ All action fullbacks, defensively solid and have workrate to motor the flanks all game to contribute offensively too.
+ Two complete CBs with on the ball ability and distribution skills.

Midfield:

+ Makelele and Netto make for a solid shield in front of defence. Strength, pace, tactical awareness they have it all. Makelele will operate deeper allowing Netto freedom to venture forward when we have the ball.
+ Sandro Mazzola is a versatile player who played #10 for NT and Inside Right for Herrera's Grande Inter. With his high workrate, he'll link the midfield to attack. Excellent ball skills, creativity will ensure good supply of opportunities for my forwards.

Attack:

+ Highly lethal offensive line with top notch goal scorers all.
+ Flexible as all of the trio have good workrate, ability to link back to midfield and create opportunities for each other.

GodShaveTheQueen

Both really well built sides. Despite the readjusted sides, don't see any flaws in either side.

While Edgar's front 4 is very unique compared to the usual draft setups, GS's 3-5-1-1 is a draft scarcity as well.

Probably will be one of my favorite games of this round, just for the uniqueness without any obvious tactical flaws.

Moby

Dick
Signori looks massively out of depth in this company. Don't get why that was a 4-3-3, Muller and Eusebio is a dream front two with Eusebio playing in the hole behind a proper #9 (arguably the greatest one at that). So would have been a lot better if they were played as a pair up front.

GS team looks excellent with all the players in their element. Those flanks are absolutely droolworthy and would make a massive impact on the game.

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
@green_smiley

What's your general style & how do the wingbacks operate in possession?
My wingbacks are encouraged to advance forward, with Bonhof covering at deep. They provide width to the team, taking advantage of their top-notch physical attributes, and feeding crosses to MvB

There are emphasis on wingbacks, but it is not the only attacking outlet. Netzer is orchestrating the attack, landing inch-perfect passes to his teammates and even capable of scoring on his own. Kubala with his exceptional speed and dribbling skill, and MvB's deadly finishing

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
From what I have seen, he always cuts in from the left

Although with his quality it is not that big deal, it just feels out of his usual element
Inside the box he's all over the place, but his speciality is picking the ball deeper wide right and driving it forward, running at defenders. I'd say Inside Right is probably his peak position.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
My wingbacks are encouraged to advance forward, with Bonhof covering at deep. They provide width to the team, taking advantage of their top-notch physical attributes, and feeding crosses to MvB

There are emphasis on wingbacks, but it is not the only attacking outlet. Netzer is orchestrating the attack, landing inch-perfect passes to his teammates and even capable of scoring on his own. Kubala with his exceptional speed and dribbling skill, and MvB's deadly finishing
Cheers, that's pretty much what I wanted to hear. When Netzer makes his penetrating runs through the center, I think you really need the wingbacks to play offensively & man the wings, as passing/attacking options & to stretch the defense.

As for EAP, I think Müller/CF and Eusebio/RW should work well, as Cafu is behind Eusebio. Eusebio can roam and cut inside, while Cafu can advance into the RW position. The latter himself should be well covered by Makelele and Cannavaro. Anyone who has seen the last Dead Drafters game will probably know why I think Eusebio and Müller should link up perfectly.

Very good teams imo, really hard to decide...

@Edgar Allan Pillow
Can you tell me something about Signori & what he's supposed to bring to the offense?

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Can you tell me something about Signori & what he's supposed to bring to the offense?
He's a left wide forward in a 433. Lightning fast, drifts wide and cuts back in to score type of player. Played left wing, so can stretch the defense and get on end of Mazzola or Muller passes. Lethal from edge of box, so a quick pass and he has a thunderous shot at goal. Very mobile and difficult to track too. Drifts all over area. Creates lots of chances for himself and others. 110 goals from 150 matches or something close to that for Lazio.

GodShaveTheQueen

Inside the box he's all over the place, but his speciality is picking the ball deeper wide right and driving it forward, running at defenders. I'd say Inside Right is probably his peak position.
The more I have watched Eusebio, the more I tend to agree that inside right was indeed his best position but I think his performances from inside left were not far off as well. Still slightly better on the right though.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
The more I have watched Eusebio, the more I tend to agree that inside right was indeed his best position but I think his performances from inside left were not far off as well. Still slightly better on the right though.
He's quite versatile and pops up. Just that the number of times he drops deep to right midfield to pick up ball is more than on the left.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
He's a left wide forward in a 433. Lightning fast, drifts wide and cuts back in to score type of player. Played left wing, so can stretch the defense and get on end of Mazzola or Muller passes. Lethal from edge of box, so a quick pass and he has a thunderous shot at goal. Very mobile and difficult to track too. Drifts all over area. Creates lots of chances for himself and others. 110 goals from 150 matches or something close to that for Lazio.
Sounds like a great fit. For this setup, I especially like the detail that he's left-footed. He can situationally create this shape (giving Briegel the chance to balance out Cafu by staying further back)...

Signori------Müller---------Eusebio-------Cafu

...as well as attacking the box when Müller drops and Briegel pushes up on the wing. Lots of interaction imaginable, and Mazzola's there too.

I also don't give too much weight on the 'underwhelming in an all-time context' angle, if a player has all the right characteristics. A good role player (compared to GOAT-fest standards) can work great in a well-designed setup. Even with 11 megastars, someone would have to take a backseat and sacrifice parts of his game to serve the others, so the difference gets leveled imo.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
As for EAP, I think Müller/CF and Eusebio/RW should work well, as Cafu is behind Eusebio. Eusebio can roam and cut inside, while Cafu can advance into the RW position. The latter himself should be well covered by Makelele and Cannavaro. Anyone who has seen the last Dead Drafters game will probably know why I think Eusebio and Müller should link up perfectly.

Very good teams imo, really hard to decide...
Agreed. Really like the Eusebio/Muller axis.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Only thing is that you can't put those numbers from Lazio where he played mainly as a forward/main striker. Yeah, he was very good at LW where he played sometimes especially before joining Lazio and Sacchi also used him there (mostly wanting to accomodate Baggio lack of work-rate), but the numbers dropped in such case.
Beppe for me was best centrally and that is where his peak came. You can use him there of course as other managers did in his career, but you can not use those numbers in such case.

Since you have Eusebio/Muller duo it isn't such an issue though. That will be absolutely compensated and considering he had no problems sacrificing himself for that role in Italy, can see it working very well, so gets my vote.

GodShaveTheQueen

Went with EAP. As much as I hate to vote against GS on this one, that front 4 is just magnificent and I have to vote for that.

Think Mazzola would thrive in the role and would play deeper than usual.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
When I see EAP's team I think "this is it", but then I look at GS's and can't bring myself to vote against it.

Draw then.