Coropa League - QF - Physiocrat vs Isotope

With players at their career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
...............................................PHYSIOCRAT...............................................................................................ISOTOPE

TEAM PHYSIOCRAT

Tactics- Direct/ Mixed

Formation – 4411 false 9

Defensive Line - Normal

Marking – Zonal

Tactics Overview

In comes Bobby Moore and genuine GOAT contender Di Stefano heralding a new system. Totti reprises his later Roma false 9 role and alongside Di Stefano will create chaos for Iso’s CBs along with their constant movement and goal threat.

Masopust moves wide left out of possession but will move more centrally in possession to make the most of his killer passing instinct. The space left by Masopust will be filled by Lizarazu who will aggressively overlap.

Deschamp will anchor the midfield allowing Modric to play a more expansive game than against Moby. Boniek continues in his wide right role.

Bobby Moore provides much better passing quality from the back which will better facilitate quick counters. Moore is flanked by the exceptionally quick Shesternyov.

Player Name - Player Position

Manuel Neuer - Sweeper Keeper

Albert Shesternyov – Complete CB

Bobby Moore (c) – Cultured CB

Djalma Santos - Balanced Right Back

Bixente Lizarazu – Attacking Left Back

Didier Deschamps – DM

Luka Modric – CM

Josef Masopust – Wide=playmaker

Alfredo Di Stefano – Free Role

Zbigniew Boniek - Floating right-winger

Franceso Totti – False 9

TEAM ISOTOPE

The team combines flair and steeliness. It has players to have a fluid attacking system, and be compact off the ball and when defending. General tactic is 5-2-2-1. Two attacking wing-backs are given autonomy over their entire flank and are used to work back defensively, whilst also provide the width in attack. Breitner and Stielike playing as defensive midfielders. Zico and Laudrup as the midfield maestros, and Law as the striker.

In midfield, featuring an anchor-man in Stielike, a four times 'Best Foreign Player' in La Liga (competing with the like of Schuster, Neeskens, and Simonsen). He partners Der Afro Breitner, a box-to-box CM with skill of playmaking from deep. Breitner penetration run or long range shot provide another trump card for the team.

Two advanced playmakers in Laudrup and Zico induce flair and game control to the play. These two of the greatest playmakers have different attributes and roles. In general, Laudrup to control the game and the final third provider with free role from the left side. Zico as the more advanced playmaker or as second striker, looking for weakness on opponents defence. In game, both roles can switch to suit the occasion.

Leading the frontline is Denis Law, one of the most complete forward of all time. In his best 7 seasons, he scored 216 goals in 313 games. His playmaking skill also as good as his goalscoring.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I don’t really see Totti as an ideal partner for Di Stefano. You’d want a constant presence in the box who is going to pin center backs back, giving Di Stefano more space in behind. It’s a bit of a conventional thinking, but Puskas had gave up a lot of his playmaking and movement to fit Di Stefano’s game better.

GodShaveTheQueen

I think Physiocrat's system is workable in the Spalletti Roma model with good wide forwards. While Boniek is a great fit, Masopust is obviously not for that system.

But in another angle, all 6 front six can contribute in the midfield battle which would help contain the opposition quartet which looks dangerous with a great DM's presence in physiocrat's team.

For Isotope, as I told him in the PM thread, Eto'o would have been a great asset in this team and I was surprised that he was dropped.

Something doesn't feel right about the magic square in a 5 man defense.

Serginho - Law
Eder - Etoo
Zico - Zico
Socrates - Laudrup
Falcao - Breitner
Cerezo - Stielike
Junior - Maldini
Leandro - Kaltz

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I don’t really see Totti as an ideal partner for Di Stefano. You’d want a constant presence in the box who is going to pin center backs back, giving Di Stefano more space in behind. It’s a bit of a conventional thinking, but Puskas had gave up a lot of his playmaking and movement to fit Di Stefano’s game better.
That's true about Puskas, although I would restrict Totti a little bit here whilst being a false 9 to allow Di Stefano to be a bit deeper more of the time. That said I think their link up play could be excellent with Boniek stealing in from the right wing.

I think my major advantage is my front six's work rate and the possession I will have. It's not going to be Pep numbers but I do think the lack of an extra body in the midfield will mean Iso will probably have to sit quite deep otherwise I would have too much space to work in. With my creativity and the goal threat of Di Stefano and Totti I could back a few. Also I don't think Laudrup or Zico will do that much off the ball.

Iso has made a good style to fit his players but Maldini at LWB is clearly suboptimal although does help Santamaria out at LCB.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Any other comments anyone? My main thought is that a striker less system is going to be a pain for three at the back. The only option is for them to sit deep as I will have the upper hand in midfield. I also think I have enough creativity and goals to unlock that defence.

Moby

Dick
Went with Isotope. I don't buy the Laudrup and Zico in a X-mas tree-ish formation behind the striker, as I think with Zico having Laudrup is quite redundant but I guess it can work with Zico taking up more goalscoring positions having Laudrup being able to link up midfield and attack. Other than that that team looks reasonable. Great to see Maldini in a full fledged flank manning role which he would relish.

Physio's team looks good tactically, however I would have preferred a more adventurous left back there given Masopust would be cutting inside a lot. I agree about Totti and Di Stefano not being a great combination. Both of them enjoyed being central to bulk of the attacking play going through them, so a more selfless presence alongside AdS would have been better. Other than that no real obvious flaws, just preferred Isotope on player quality overall.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I thought Physio will line up as pyramid with a floating front 3!

........DiStefano........
....Totti.....Boniek....
Masopust.....Modric
......Deschamps.......
I considered something like that but wanted to make sure I had enough width on the left. Looks like I failed even on that

Enigma_87

You know who
Said the same in my game against him last round. Modric and Masopust is an ideal pairing for a 4-3-3.
To be honest - this is how I imagined this will play out. Masopust will tuck in when on the ball and I saw the arrow on the formation. Naturally Lizarazu will bomb forward to create the width on the left.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
To be honest - this is how I imagined this will play out. Masopust will tuck in when on the ball and I saw the arrow on the formation. Naturally Lizarazu will bomb forward to create the width on the left.
I agree. The wide position and inward arrow just serves to confuse the tactics. Lizarazu will be the sole width provider and Masopust and Totti drifting in and out.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I agree. The wide position and inward arrow just serves to confuse the tactics. Lizarazu will be the sole width provider and Masopust and Totti drifting in and out.
The point of the 4411 setup is to primarily show the position in the organised defensive phase.

GodShaveTheQueen

Masopust actually contributed a fair bit out wide and I don't think he will always tuck in when on the ball.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I considered something like that but wanted to make sure I had enough width on the left. Looks like I failed even on that
Nah, Lizarazu did a fine job for France as the main width-provider on the left wing and was good going forward. With Masopust offering some penetration down those channels too there's a credible attacking threat down that flank for me.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Nah, Lizarazu did a fine job for France as the main width-provider on the left wing and was good going forward. With Masopust offering some penetration down those channels too there's a credible attacking threat down that flank for me.
I agree with you. It's just few others bought it. I'm pretty sure Lizarazu played left wing back for Bayern on occasions too

GodShaveTheQueen

Congratulations @Isotope , well deserved win after the unfortunate draw last time.

Good game @Physiocrat , great from both to change the setup in the spirit of the round.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Congratulations @Isotope , well deserved win after the unfortunate draw last time.

Good game @Physiocrat , great from both to change the setup in the spirit of the round.
Thank you for having this excellent Draft, mate. It's just life is kinda sucks right now. I don't have time and mind for this. If possible I withdraw from this, and have @Physiocrat continue?
I'm surprised with the score. I actually love that formation that Enigma suggested. It would be hard to find answer to that.

Again sorry for this, team. I'll be just a lurker since now on. It's an excellent draft with refreshing ideas. GSTQ put a lot of thought on this.

GodShaveTheQueen

Thank you for having this excellent Draft, mate. It's just life is kinda sucks right now. I don't have time and mind for this. If possible I withdraw from this, and have @Physiocrat continue?
I'm surprised with the score. I actually love that formation that Enigma suggested. It would be hard to find answer to that.

Again sorry for this, team. I'll be just a lurker since now on. It's an excellent draft with refreshing ideas. GSTQ put a lot of thought on this.
No worries mate, completely understandable.

@Physiocrat , hope you'll be up for continuing mate.