Coropa League - SF 1st Leg - Green Smiley vs Physiocrat

With players at their career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
..........................................GREEN SMILEY..........................................................................................PHYSIOCRAT

TEAM GREEN SMILEY

4-4-2 with emphasis on attacks down both flanks, made possible with world-class full back-winger combo (Facchetti-Giggs, and Cafu-Johnstone)

In defense, there is Tresor who is physically dominant and also great in positioning and awareness, while Hansen excels in playing the ball from the back

Netto and Tardelli form a solid midfield pair to support the front four

Eusebio as second striker playing just behind Muller

TEAM PHYSIOCRAT

Straight forward 3412. Incredible defence and goals and creativity in the front 3. Albert to drift wide left when Breitner cuts in. Kaltz to provide width and crosses to Law. Di Stefano has complete freedom to run the show as he sees fit. Bobby Moore to play pin point passes to instigate counters. Classic DM and B2B in central midfield.

Last edited:

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
I foresee Maldini and Santos would have to stay wide, and Deschamps drops deep more often than not

But then you have to deal with Eusebio-Muller upfront as well

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Both sides look very good, impossible to vote

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Watertight defence Physio and I like the ego balance in midfield.

Lovely 4-4-2 GS.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
What's the plan for defending the flanks @Physiocrat?
Back 5 against prolongued possession phases, we will generally be counter attacking.

When Kaltz & Breitner push up in possession, the back three & Deschamps provide cover. Both CMs can help out wide, depending on the situation. Di Stefano may reinforce the center then. Maldini and Djalma are alltime greats at defending wide.

The wingbacks are industrious and will track back fast. If smiley's wingers help out defensively (which we expect), our WBs shouldn't be too far off of them anyway.

Given the quality of my back five, Deschamps and Bremner plus the help from ADS I really think GS will find it very hard to score without a proper central creator. Eusebio and Muller are great and have good wing service but against my wing backs and wide CBs Johnstone and Giggs will have little joy. I don't see anyone who is going to pick up ADS well enough when he drifts between the lines and he will cause chaos.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Eusebio and Muller keeping the back 3 occupied does seem to suggest that Giggs and Johnstone will get a free run here, but its easy to miss Kaltz and Breitner there thanks to Physio's graphics. I think the back 5 looks good to handle that front 4.

I do think Di Stefano will run riot here. Those are two terrific flanks from GS but the heart of the midfield and defense looks set to be pierced by Di Stefano.

Physio wins this leg for me.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Gone for GS, think the quality of his full backs when combining with the wingers here could have too much for a 352 to cope with out wide.

And then with Eusebio and Muller up top they should have plenty of chances to score on that service.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Can barely make out @Physiocrat formation the image quality is terrible.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Then I'll try to do a direct one via SMT/Imgur tonight, and for the other game as well.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Albert looks out of place to me, especially with Di Stefano in here. Can't really decide on this one though.

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
@green_smiley What's the plan to deal with Di Stefano?
By keeping AdS off the ball as much as possible

I expect my team to dominate the flanks and stretch the play, to the point that your team has to break formation to cope with it (CB go wide, DM go deep). AdS although capable of going here and there, he would also have to deal with Netto/Tardelli who are a formidable midfield duo

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
By keeping AdS off the ball as much as possible

I expect my team to dominate the flanks and stretch the play, to the point that your team has to break formation to cope with it (CB go wide, DM go deep). AdS although capable of going here and there, he would also have to deal with Netto/Tardelli who are a formidable midfield duo
I'm not one to labour the 3 vs 2 in midfield but in this case it is valid since neither Eusebio nor Muller are more of an AMish second-striker to give you that third player in the middle. Also neither Netto nor Tardelli are genuine DMs, Netto was reasonably attacking IIRC. I can see ADS gaining lots of space during the counters. You wing backs will provide little in those central spaces. Also with Moore's pinpoint passing our counters will be very swift indeed.

@harms What's your issue with Albert? He seems a natural fit. A forward who has space to dribble as he sees fit and to score goals.

Last edited:

harms

Staff
@harms What's your issue with Albert? He seems a natural fit. A forward who has space to dribble as he sees fit and to score goals.
He was a false 9, whose main move was to drop in midfield and carry the ball forward, either with his brilliant dribbling or with incisive passing. He is a central player, and he overlaps with Di Stefano in pretty much every aspect — especially since on the left you have Paul Breitner and not someone like Brehme/Carlos. Breitner himself roamed around the pitch, often cutting inside and joining midfield instead of providing width, and you want him to be able to do so as he's going to add more creativity to your central midfield.

I'd rather swap him with Eto'o or Boniek, since in your second game you have Lizarazu + Masopust covering that left wing, although Albert is a poor fit to both Di Stefano and Zico in my opinion.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Good game @green_smiley

I must now hold a draft record of losing three games before actually being dumped out of a knockout tournament

harms

Staff
Netto was balanced type of midfielder

Laziest source is PES, but you can see from harms' video below how he could track back and help in defend
A holding midfielder in W-M would always be very defensive, you just have to be, since you're basically a part of a 5-men defensive unit that faces 5 attackers. Even more so than 2 midfielders in a 4-4-2. Netto's beauty was that he added much more to that quite simple role, and was a very astute passer (with borderline obsession to what now has transformed into tiki-taka, when we have the ball, you can not score) and dribbler due to him playing further forward earlier in his career.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
@harms, as for Thuram, Albert, Eto'o, etc:

I think these two teams are best understood when realizing that we had a grand total of one true elite wide attacker at our disposal - a fullback. We had to try to find formations that pushed the strong points we had, and at the same time provide a minimum of wide offensive presence in each team.

So it was kind of a Tetris approach with heavy restrictions, and I actually liked the teams we managed to get out of that in the end.

We wanted to play Di Stefano with a CF like Law, so Eto'o (our only other CF) had to go to team 2. Given the 5+5 restriction, there was no alternative to Albert for that roaming forward role.