Could a team hypothetically do this legally speaking since the FA rule is unclear?

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
Number of Players

A match is played by two teams, each with a maximum of eleven players; one must be the goalkeeper. A match may not start or continue if either team has fewer than seven players.

If a team has fewer than seven players because one or more players has deliberately left the field of play, the referee is not obliged to stop play and the advantage may be played, but the match must not resume after the ball has gone out of play if a team does not have the minimum number of seven players.

If the competition rules state that all players and substitutes must be named before kick-off and a team starts a match with fewer than eleven players, only the players and substitutes named in the starting line-up may take part in the match upon their arrival.

According to this rule, one must be the goalkeeper. It does not say that two can't be the goalkeepers.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
One must be the goalkeeper
Minimum one must the goalkeeper

Spot the difference

RUCK4444

Why would any team want to do this? To throw a game?

Even if that worked surely the other team would get the three points by default?

Samid

I have a very random football rules question. Might was well use this very random football rules thread.

If a long throw goes in to the goal without anyone touching the ball is it a goal?
Yes it's a goal. A goal kick to be more precise.

acnumber9

I have a very random football rules question. Might was well use this very random football rules thread.

If a long throw goes in to the goal without anyone touching the ball is it a goal?
No. Pretty sure it would be a goal kick if I remember right.

ZupZup

Two goalkeepers would be ridiculous... the other team would rarely ever be offside because the two keepers would almost always be playing everyone on.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

Rule 15 says a goal cannot be scored directly from a throw in. If it goes directly into the opponents goal, a goal kick is awarded.

KGBhoy

This actually happened. Villa player threw it and Enckelman let it through. Goal didn't count.

acnumber9

What will Goran’s next thread be? “Would the rules allow teams to pick pigs instead of people?”, “What if players were allowed to play in bubble wrap to protect themselves from injury?”, or something not fecking stupid?

Samid

Two goalkeepers would be ridiculous... the other team would rarely ever be offside because the two keepers would almost always be playing everyone on.
Who said the goalies would be holding hands? The second GK could be a CB.

Bertie Wooster

This actually happened. Villa player threw it and Enckelman let it through. Goal didn't count.

I think you'll find that it did count. The ref must've deemed that he touched it.
Yeah, I was just posting that.
The ref deemed it flicked the keepers studs and so the goal counted.

Enkelman said he didn't know if he touched it or not, but didn't know the rules anyway and so he wrongly assumed it would be a goal even if he'd missed it. Which was wrong. It would have been a corner (as it was his teammate who took the throw in).

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Speaking of two goalkeepers, it would be absolutely fascinating to see how Neuer and Buffon would play together if they were both allowed to protect the same goal.

Neuer as the sweeper and Buffon as the last line of defence?

Foxbatt

The players designated as the keeper is the only one allowed to handle the ball inside the box. That's why. Even during the match an outfield player can go into goal while the original designated player can play as an outfield player. It simply means only that player can handle it inside the box.

cyberman

Not really a rule interpretation but i always found it strange that attacking players get done for jumping on the defenders for elevation whilst going for headers and not realising they should just jump over their teammate? Have Maguire at the back post with Lindelof under him and send him flying..

Withnail

Number of Players

A match is played by two teams, each with a maximum of eleven players; one must be the goalkeeper. A match may not start or continue if either team has fewer than seven players.

If a team has fewer than seven players because one or more players has deliberately left the field of play, the referee is not obliged to stop play and the advantage may be played, but the match must not resume after the ball has gone out of play if a team does not have the minimum number of seven players.

If the competition rules state that all players and substitutes must be named before kick-off and a team starts a match with fewer than eleven players, only the players and substitutes named in the starting line-up may take part in the match upon their arrival.

According to this rule, one must be the goalkeeper. It does not say that two can't be the goalkeepers.
What's the question?

Withnail

Not really a rule interpretation but i always found it strange that attacking players get done for jumping on the defenders for elevation whilst going for headers and not realising they should just jump over their teammate? Have Maguire at the back post with Lindelof under him and send him flying..
Oh my god. Why don't they do this?

cyberman

Oh my god. Why don't they do this?
Just thinking about it. Attacking a corner means you can run from out to in the box, the defending side doesnt get any room to get a running jump since its right under their goal. Just set up the likes of AWB as jumping posts, get a huge running leap and pray you land safely!