Countries that ‘stopped’ producing top players...

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
The issue with Canada is hockey. Everyone or most play hockey. At least on the east coast. This is due to the weather. More than half the year they will play hockey. Football or soccer is a summer past time. Plus unless you get the school football going like they do for hockey, it's not going to go anywhere. Too many coaches at that level are interested in physical fitness or condition as I have heard them call it. They can run for 90 mins but can't properly kick a ball. Plus they are no heroes or idols in soccer. No one knows a Canadian football player but everyone knows Sidney Crosby.
Soccer is the most played sport by kids in Canada.

We play soccer year round. We have indoor facilities and our provincial programme would shovel the pitches and train outside year round.

School hockey? Are you even Canadian? School hockey is practically non-existent. No talented hockey player is playing school hockey. They are in the OHL by then. Relying on any type of school sports to produce players is just stupid and it isn’t done for any sport in Canada.

No, everyone I played with could properly kick a ball.

You’re right about Canadian idols, I went to the same school as our best ever player and about half our best players are from my city yet no one really knows them. The only time I’d hear their names is my teacher talking about playing against Atiba Hutchinson growing up or my principal wearing a Paul Stalteri shirt. And my brother also played with Stalteri’s brother in law. But I was pretty much the only person who knew those names. So yes, you’re right there. But it’s far down the list of problems with Canadian soccer. We get every PL and CL match on tv. Kids are idolising Messi and Ronaldo just like kids in every country.

The real problem is it’s too expensive with few to no opportunities. You were looking at $1.5-2k a year at minimum to play for a decent club growing up. Plus all the travel costs on top. Most parents can’t afford that and some of our best talents drop out age 15-16. My parents had 5 kids to support, they couldn’t put 4 boys through rep soccer every year from 10-18. So we all only got to play rep for a couple years each. Despite that we’ve all turned out to be good enough to play semi-pro, if we had an actual development growing up one of us would almost definitely had gone pro. Same for the thousands of others who have to give up because they can’t afford it and to focus on school because soccer isn’t a real job in Canada.

You add in the fact half the coaches don’t know what they’re doing and are only in it to try scam some money then our whole development is based on sheer luck.

MLS academies are now offering free soccer for kids but that is only 3 clubs with limited space so while it has helped it’s still a long way away.

CPL starting up is also a new opportunity for kids to have. Growing up for many there wasn’t a single pro club in the country, there were no opportunities other than a scholarship to the States which many don’t want. I had TFC start when I was coming through and a few of my friends got picked up by them but that was it. Unless you were the couple at the very top and could make TFC then it was over, on to school and a real job for you. There is no Jamie Vardy story here, there are no lower semi-pro clubs to play for really. It’s MLS or give up.

The CPL at least add another 8 clubs for kids to strive to play for. A few of the stragglers I know who’ve clinged on are now playing in it, but for most of us it is too late now. Hopefully it’ll be a much needed starting point for the generations to come. But even that has its limits with the CPL commissioner saying he doesn’t believe in academies so they pretty much won’t be doing anything for youth development either

All in all, the issues have never been because of hockey. They’ve been because it is too expensive because the cities just look at soccer as a money earner. The level of coaching is 95% complete trash. And the complete lack of opportunities, which is at least changing a bit.

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
I would say Cameroon and Nigeria.

Cameroon
Some of the reasons Cameron has not produced many talents in the last +5years are because of lack of investment in football, political instability and migration.
Nigeria
Lack of sports development
:In the past the Nigerian leagues used to be strong, the clubs would afford the players the opportunity to horn their skills before moving abroad. Now the leagues are in shambles.
(2) Political interference:Unlike now, the country's elites didn't pay much attention to football. Now every well to do man wants his child to be a footballer, this has led to alot of interference in the selection processes of footballers for the u17,u21, u23 nations/world cups.Thereby making alot of young and talented footballers without 'connections ' to be dropped.Sometimes, these rich parents pay for their children to be selected for competitions,there are stories of coaches and players(even abroad born players) being told to pay for a job or to be selected for tournaments.
Poor Career Moves:Some of the country's biggest Hope's made wrong moves either because of greedy agents or the players/parents going for the money.For instance,Mikel was the second most valuable player after Messi at U20 world cup playing as a no 10/AM.He signed for United,but later changed his mind and signed for Chelsea, he was never going to start ahead of Lampard/Ballack, Mourinho converted him to a DM and he never remained the same player again.Same for Iheanacho going to £it¥.
Migration:Many middle class families and players moved abroad in the 90s and 20s,some were born abroad and chose to represent other nations. Imagine if these players with Nigerian roots are playing for Nigeria.
Dele Alli
Tammy Abraham
David Alaba
Jordon Ibe etc
Nigeria will also lose
Saka
Eberechi Eze
Nnamdi Collins.

Ramos

Denmark and Norway were much better in the 90's. I'd add Sweden to that list if it weren't for Zlatan.

Things are looking a bit promising for Norway now at least.
I would say Sweden too, despite Ibra and their NT's respectable results.

If i'm not mistaken there hasn't been a Swedish player in any of the twenty CL and EL finals of the past decade. Not a single one. Even Gabon has two.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

If i'm not mistaken there hasn't been a Swedish player in any of the twenty CL and EL finals of the past decade. Not a single one. Even Gabon has two.
Isak looking good to break that mould in next 5 years. Had a fantastic last few months in Spain.

PowerupMushroom

Czechia's best player Soucek is in West Ham, Smicer and Poborsky were in Liverpool and United. So that's the drop.
That's quite a big drop in my opinion. Not to mention players like Nedved and Chech, or other good-but-not-greats like Grygera, Jankulowski or even Koller. They used to have players in all the big leagues, and be a team to look out for come the Euros. In comparison they now have Soucek, and I've never heard of him :D

Reactions: Penna

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Definitely Scotland
I think they made three world cups in a row in the 70 early 80 period and had a good portion of the best players that were playing in England at that time.
I would not be able to name one Scottish player playing for Celtic or Rangers at the moment.
Aye. 5 in a row, then 1 in the 7 since, despite the tournament expanding twice.

fps

Good thread.

Like to know different perspectives other than the natural "cycle".

Brazil may has to do with the current shift of focus in football now that is more towards systems, less on encouraging individual talents.
There are a lot more distractions for young people these days which prevents the single-mindedness of old when it comes to gems arriving from the streets into teams. We will see the countries and especially clubs with the strongest recruitment and academies continue to produce brilliant young players because they will catch them early and they will therefore put in the work. The levels are higher than ever now and it takes more money and facilities to produce a certain kind of player - money and facilities need to be provided through a government, or through a club.

A certain kind of talent now will be lost though. A 10 year old Rooney type, for instance, nowadays would be far more likely to be in on the PS4 than playing football in the streets. And that's the kind of kid who would become the Bulgarian, Romanian, legend, etc. Just a thought, others may disagree.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Who are these two players that Gabon produced?

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
That one hasn't been produced by Gabon.
Well I'm assuming the guy who wrote it probably meant "produced" as in belonging to that country. If you mean "produced" as in trained in that country, then I don't know.

JPRouve

Scout
Well I'm assuming the guy who wrote it probably meant "produced" as in belonging to that country. If you mean "produced" as in trained in that country, then I don't know.
But that's the point of the thread, top players that come through a country development system. Aubameyang isn't born in Gabon and hasn't been formed there either. I suppose that the other is Lemina, he is born in Gabon but hasn't been raised there and hasn't been produced there either.

King7Eric

But that's the point of the thread, top players that come through a country development system. Aubameyang isn't born in Gabon and hasn't been formed there either. I suppose that the other is Lemina, he is born in Gabon but hasn't been raised there and hasn't been produced there either.
Mate, I just saw your question as a general query and answered it as I knew it. If you wanna debate about the definition of what producing a player is, I'm not your guy. :)

JPRouve

Scout
Mate, I just saw your question as a general query and answered it as I knew it. If you wanna debate about the definition of what producing a player is, I'm not your guy. :)
No problem but you answered a question that wasn't adressed to you. If you didn't want an interaction you should have ignored it.

King7Eric

No problem but you answered a question that wasn't adressed to you. If you didn't want an interaction you should have ignored it.
As I said, I thought it was a genuine question where you were unaware of the facts as opposed to you being in disagreement with the definition of the term used. I was just trying to help, my mistake. Let's move on with our day. :)

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The Italians used to have such fantastic players always before. Even in the 80s players like Bruno Conti, Paulo Rossi, Scirea and Antognioni would walk into any team. Then you had players like Cabrini and Tardelli who would walk into most teams. You then have Gentile whom no one wants to play against.
They don't have players like that anymore.
I'm not a fan of those limits, but having both
  1. Serie A as, by far, the best and the most competitive league in the world where even midtable teams were able to afford the likes of Zico, Maradona and Batistuta
  2. A strict foreign limit that forced them to play many Italians alongside those greats
probably helped.

Although if someone as talented as Roberto Baggio or Del Piero had appeared today, they wouldn't need any of those additional factors to achieve true greatness.

Czech Republic saddens me the most. They were great when I started following football (Euro '96) and a joy to watch at Euro 2004. I remember their second string utterly dismantling Germany in the group stage. Amazing team.

The most harrowing fall from grace is probably Bulgaria though. They had a great run in the '90s and major stars playing in big clubs, along with many playing across Europe. Nowadays, I don't even think there is a single Bulgarian playing in one of the "Top 5" leagues, not even at some bottom half minnow club.

Romania is another good shout, but they get a pass for producing the madman Vlad Chiricheș.

Ramos

Who are these two players that Gabon produced?
Well i didn't say that, did i? Your question should be: "Who are these two Gabonese players who played in European finals (CL/EL) this last decade?"

Anyway, i only mentioned Gabon (a tiny football nation in comparison) to highlight how remarkable i thought it was to not find any Swede in any of those finals. Was truly surprised when i checked it to see so many other unlikely nations have at least one representative, but not Sweden. Wasn't about Gabon's production of top players or even producing better players than Sweden, that would be silly. I could have picked Georgia, Macedonia, Peru or any other example. Hope i've cleared that up.

JPRouve

Scout
Hes gabonese. Thats what matters
No it's not, particularly when he is also french, born and raise in France. We are talking about player production not who plays for which national team. Similarly Deco is a brazilian product.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
No it's not, particularly when he is also french, born and raise in France. We are talking about player production not who plays for which national team. Similarly Deco is a brazilian product.
oddly specific criteria, but ok

JPRouve

Scout
oddly specific criteria, but ok
There is nothing specific or odd about that criteria. Particularly when the OP talks about infrastructures and football culture. You can't really say that a player is a product of an environment he never experienced during his formative years.

Also I knew that the claim about Sweden was wrong, Larsson, Edman and Mjallby were all playing for Celtic in 2003. Elmander was playing for Feyenoord in 2002.

Edit: I ready 20 years instead of 20 finals.