COVID-19 transfer discounts

Marcus

Flowing from the Sancho speculation as to how much he should cost us because of the COVID-19 impact on clubs.

Do we see any actual evidence (e.g., price declared by selling club pre-COVID-19) from transfers which have already gone through that show a particular trend? For instance, a 10, 20, 30% discount?

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
We haven’t seen anything yet cause not many transfers have happened. Will be an interesting summer that is for sure.

But it really depends on how desperate a club is for money. Some of these lower level clubs will absolutely be rocked by this pandemic. Without their main source of revenue from fans they will struggle and hence will be forced to sell. And again how many of a discount depends on how desperate they are.

Teams like Villa got 160m just for getting promoted last year. But if they go down AND without fan revenue selling players like Grealish for like 35-40m is a real possibility rather than let’s say 60m otherwise.

Fetshu

Not sure about specific trends yet, I haven't been that invested in transfers this window. It's mostly common sense that the prices should be lower than pre-COVID19, but a good example is Sane's transfer from City to Bayern.

Seeing as Sane is a very good player, Bayern managed to get him for €45m (£40.9m) plus add-ons on a 5 year contract. Although the total value of the transfer with all additional fees is thought to be €60m (£54.1m) (citing numbers from an article).

I'm sure those numbers would've been much higher before the pandemic.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Not sure about specific trends yet, I haven't been that invested in transfers this window. It's mostly common sense that the prices should be lower than pre-COVID19, but a good example is Sane's transfer from City to Bayern.

Seeing as Sane is a very good player, Bayern managed to get him for €45m (£40.9m) plus add-ons on a 5 year contract. Although the total value of the transfer with all additional fees is thought to be €60m (£54.1m) (citing numbers from an article).

I'm sure those numbers would've been much higher before the pandemic.
With Sane I think it’s not straightforward. He just came back from a year long injury layoff AND he had less than a year to go on his contract. I think City actually did well to get what they got for him.

Greck

Well it's too early as clubs haven't actually lost that much yet. They football calendar was more than halfway completed and leagues avoided a bigger financial hit by resuming the season. The real losses (the kind to affect transfers) if any will come from BCD football next season

Marcus

Wondering what about Werner to Chelsea? Was he cheaper?

Edit - ah he had a release clause.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Only really seen two major transfers during this period. Werner was a release clause so that would not get affected while Sane's deal I think was normal considering he had just one year left and made it very clear he wasn't going to sign a new contract.

I remember Arsenal rejecting a 50 MP bid for Sanchez from City when he had one year left, but Arsenal thought he was going to sign a new deal.

prateik

Players started costing more because revenues increased..
Revenues will take a huge hit because of Covid.. and it is unlikely to be something that will get fixed in a matter of months..
The prices will have to come down..

Clubs that feel they can hold on for a couple of years and get a better fee probably will.. those who cant, or need the money to spend elsewhere, will have to lower prices..

There just isnt the same amount of money out there.

Smores

Players started costing more because revenues increased..
Revenues will take a huge hit because of Covid.. and it is unlikely to be something that will get fixed in a matter of months..
The prices will have to come down..

Clubs that feel they can hold on for a couple of years and get a better fee probably will.. those who cant, or need the money to spend elsewhere, will have to lower prices..

There just isnt the same amount of money out there.
Depends entirely on demand though. It's all well saying that less revenue might force clubs to consider sales but if several top clubs want a player there's only one thing dictating the cost.

Personally think we'll see a greater variation between elite players in great demand and everyone else.

Pep's Suit

With Sane I think it’s not straightforward. He just came back from a year long injury layoff AND he had less than a year to go on his contract. I think City actually did well to get what they got for him.
Yeah. I think last summer he was worth €120m so if COVID means 20-30% off it's already 80-90. Then you add his terrible injury and contract situation... €60m max incl. add-ons sounds ok.

It’s not that you will see ‘discounts’, more that at the top level you will see a decrease in the number of transactions.

RU Devil

I wonder if Woody could get creative & use add-ons tied to fan attendance. So if fans are in seats & paying, it would mean more money is flowing, but if they are still restricted from attending, then it is only fair to have that discount.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I wonder if Woody could get creative & use add-ons tied to fan attendance. So if fans are in seats & paying, it would mean more money is flowing, but if they are still restricted from attending, then it is only fair to have that discount.
I'm not sure that's of much interest to the selling club though.