Crawley Town release reality TV star Mark Wright

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Why oh why has he been given a job with Sky as one of their match pundits over other better known ex players?

Pathetic

Cast5

Why oh why has he been given a job with Sky as one of their match pundits over other better known ex players?

Pathetic
Well he has more experience in men’s football than some of the pundits on TV like Karen Carney and Alex Scott for example. I mean Danny Higginbottom is a better pundit than Michael Owen even though he’s lesser known and didn’t achieve half as much.

Last edited:

Inigo Montoya

Well he has more experience in men’s football than some of the pundits on TV like Karen Carney and Alex Scott for example. I mean Danny Higginbottom is a better pundit than Michael Owen even though he’s lesser known and didn’t achieve half as much.
Karen Carney and Alex Scott are ex internationals. Scott made over 100 appearances for England and represented GB in the Olympics.

Wright is a reality TV star best known for TOWIE

Next on Sky, Gemma Collins is appointed political correspondent

Cast5

Karen Carney and Alex Scott are ex internationals. Scott made over 100 appearances for England and represented GB in the Olympics.

Wright is a reality TV star best known for TOWIE

Next on Sky, Gemma Collins is appointed political correspondent
Mark Wright has more experience in men’s professional football than both of them combined, He also played academy football for West Ham, Spurs and Arsenal. He left Spurs at 17-18 which is a higher level than both of them have played at. The whole experienced players and well known players should be pundits went out of the window quite a few years ago.

Dan_F

Mark Wright has more experience in men’s professional football than both of them combined, He also played academy football for West Ham, Spurs and Arsenal. He left Spurs at 17-18 which is a higher level than both of them have played at. The whole experienced players and well known players should be pundits went out of the window quite a few years ago.
I don’t even understand what point you’re trying to make. You admitted that higher level experience doesn’t really translate to being a good pundit, so what’s the point in trying to explain that Mark Wright is more qualified than a female pundit?

Either way, if he is actually knowledgeable, I can’t see how he’d be worse in the presenter role than Jake Humphries.

Bertie Wooster

Yeah, I think that's a good point tbh. But one that goes under the radar because you're not allowed to highlight things like that in this climate.

The role of a pundit is that they're former players of the professional game and offer an inside perspective on it. Which is what separates the role from perfectly well informed but none former players like commentators, presenters, journalists like Tim Vickery, etc..

The men's version is very different to the women's version, so the pundits role on each should be filled by players who actually played that version. That's what happens on the female version, which is all female panels, yet those same ex players get double pay checks by working on the mens version as well, and taking away jobs from the many former male players who actually played that version.

WIth all that in mind, I really don't think a reality TV star, with minimal playing experience at professional level, should be taking jobs from more valid former players either.

Last edited:

Fridge chutney

Cast5

I don’t even understand what point you’re trying to make. You admitted that higher level experience doesn’t really translate to being a good pundit, so what’s the point in trying to explain that Mark Wright is more qualified than a female pundit?

Either way, if he is actually knowledgeable, I can’t see how he’d be worse in the presenter role than Jake Humphries.
You do realise I’m not complaining about Mark Wright or Alex Scott/Carney having jobs on sky right? It’s just the norm now..

And I agree, my big toenail would be a better presenter than Jake Humphries.

sangria

Yeah, I think that's a good point tbh. But one that goes under the radar because you're not allowed to highlight things like that in this climate.

The role of a pundit is that they're former players of the game and offer an inside perspective. Which is what distinguishes them from well informed but none former players like commentators, presenters, journalists like Tim Vickery, etc..

The men's version is very different to the women's version, so the pundits role on each version should be filled by players who actually played that version. That's what happens on the female version, yet those same ex players get double pay checks by working on the mens version as well, and taking away jobs from the many former male players who actually played that version.

WIth all that in mind, I really don't think a reality TV star, with minimal playing experience at professional level, should be taking jobs from more valid former players either.
Have any of these inside perspectives ever been worthwhile?

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Bad choice of example dude. Football is football whether you have a dingus or a bajingo. It makes no difference.

Furthermore, Karen and Alex are amongst the best pundits on TV because they have to be to break through the old boys club and get taken seriously. They are head and shoulders above the likes of Sourness, Savage and Keown.

macheda14

The role of a pundit is that they're former players of the professional game and offer an inside perspective on it. Which is what separates the role from perfectly well informed but none former players like commentators, presenters, journalists like Tim Vickery, etc..

The men's version is very different to the women's version, so the pundits role on each should be filled by players who actually played that version. That's what happens on the female version, which is all female panels, yet those same ex players get double pay checks by working on the mens version as well, and taking away jobs from the many former male players who actually played that version.

Tactics are tactics. Alex Scott at the very least seems more insightful than the majority of male pundits because she talks about the actual tactics. Remember when she was talking about teams playing with a low-block and Souness was like 'baah this modern terminology' (a month later a male pundit said it and Souness said nothing). Scott was speaking the language of current players. Alex Scott is a good pundit and is taking the job away from shit pundits.

Bertie Wooster

Bad choice of example dude. Football is football whether you have a dingus or a bajingo. It makes no difference.

Furthermore, Karen and Alex are amongst the best pundits on TV because they have to be to break through the old boys club and get taken seriously. They are head and shoulders above the likes of Sourness, Savage and Keown.
They really don't at the moment. Not in the current climate.

Broadcasters, award shows, etc, are under huge pressure to give jobs or awards to women / BAME and it's suddenly happening in large numbers. That's not a coincidence.

When the likes of Lineker, Walker, Tufnell, Dawson, Barker all lost their jobs in a clear out, there really was no doubt that the likes of Alex Scott, Karen Carney, Sam Quek, Jermaine Jenas would be amongst the likely replacements.

They've only announced one of the 5 jobs so far - Alex Scott. I'm expecting most of the other announcements to be similarly predictable.

Last edited:

SER19

They really don't at the moment. Not in the current climate.

Broadcasters, employees, award shows, etc, are under huge pressure to give jobs or awards to women / BAME and it's 'suddenly' happening in large numbers. That's not a coincidence.

When the likes of Lineker, Walker, Tufnell, Dawson, Barker all lost their jobs in a clear out, there really was no doubt that the likes of Alex Scott, Karen Carney, Sam Quek, Jermaine Jenas would be amongst the likely replacements.

They've only announced one of the 5 jobs so far - Alex Scott. I'm expecting most of the other announcements to be similarly predictable.

Yeah Alex scott is 36 years old retired from the women's game a couple of years ago and is one of the most prominent faces on football punditry and campaigns. Im not making a comment either way on the role of female presenters or pundits, but the idea that she's had to do some sort of hard graft to get some of the highest roles in football is absolutely laughable. She literally got catapulted to the top. I say this without comment on her ability, but purely to counter the narrative that she's had to work extra hard to get there. Id try telling that to some media qualified guy who's trudging off to scunthorpe for soccer Saturday and sending countless articles and submissions to a whole host of outlets for years without success. Its an insanely competitive world and Scott, Kearney, Mills or Murphy haven't really had to 'do' much beyond their playing to get the roles they have.

As for being 'taken seriously' id have a look at how any pundit is received really. Owen, souness, Jenas, Murphy, savage and so on. I can think of very few who are taken seriously let alone being particularly insightful

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

Not saying much tbf.

I think people need to decide what they want in a pundit. Is it someone articulate who can give excellent analysis? Or is it the household name ex-pro whose opinion holds huge sway because of their achievements in the game? If it’s just the former then sure, open it up to anyone. You tubers, journalists, they could all do a far better job than the likes of Martin pissing Keown.

But do people want a certain credibility from their pundits? Would they accept just some guy? I doubt it. This is why I‘ve heard some go against the likes of Karen Carney and that lady with the Yorkshire accent BT have co-commentating. A large percentage will be people opposed to women muscling in on the men’s game, but a lot will just not have a clue who they are and prefer to hear the opinion of someone with standing in the men’s game.

Yet there’s plenty of pundits in the men’s game already without either quality. Robbie Earle is on every week in the US, and is no doubt well placed to provide expert insight after his spells at Port Vale and Wimbledon, together with his grand total of zero top honours.

I’ll wait to hear Mark Wright before dismissing him, he might be far more insightful than given credit for.

Cast5

I think you’ve missed my point, you can’t say “why has Mark Wright got a job on sky over other more well known ex-players” when Mark Wright has played at a higher level and has more experience at a higher level of the game than some of the people they already employ.

I don’t know why anyone would be shocked that he’s got a job on sky and use his experience in the game against him.. like I said it’s just the norm now.

Inigo Montoya

Sexist comment.
Playing academy football is better than international football now is it? Utter crap

Bertie Wooster

Yeah Alex scott is 36 years old retired from the women's game a couple of years ago and is one of the most prominent faces on football punditry and campaigns. Im not making a comment either way on the role of female presenters or pundits, but the idea that she's had to do some sort of hard graft to get some of the highest roles in football is absolutely laughable. She literally got catapulted to the top. I say this without comment on her ability, but purely to counter the narrative that she's had to work extra hard to get there. I'd try telling that to some media qualified guy who's trudging off to scunthorpe for soccer Saturday and sending countless articles and submissions to a whole host of outlets for years without success. Its an insanely competitive world and Scott, Kearney, Mills or Murphy haven't really had to 'do' much beyond their playing to get the roles they have.

As for being 'taken seriously' i'd have a look at how any pundit is received really. Owen, Souness, Jenas, Murphy, savage and so on. I can think of very few who are taken seriously let alone being particularly insightful
Yep. There's some very good points there. I've highlighted the key ones (imo).

Cast5

Sexist comment.
Playing academy football is better than international football now is it? Utter crap
You’ve completely missed my point but what’s sexist? You think the US women's NT would beat United’s under 18’s? I think you’re deluded. Have you ever kicked a ball?

Brightonian

Yeah Alex scott is 36 years old retired from the women's game a couple of years ago and is one of the most prominent faces on football punditry and campaigns. Im not making a comment either way on the role of female presenters or pundits, but the idea that she's had to do some sort of hard graft to get some of the highest roles in football is absolutely laughable. She literally got catapulted to the top. I say this without comment on her ability, but purely to counter the narrative that she's had to work extra hard to get there. Id try telling that to some media qualified guy who's trudging off to scunthorpe for soccer Saturday and sending countless articles and submissions to a whole host of outlets for years without success. Its an insanely competitive world and Scott, Kearney, Mills or Murphy haven't really had to 'do' much beyond their playing to get the roles they have.
Alex Scott's experience in the women's game is the equivalent of someone like Ashley Cole or Gary Neville. In fact, she played more competitive international games and scored more goals in those games than either. Players like that in the men's game don't have to go 'trudging off to Scunthorpe for Soccer Saturday' either. She's had the same streamlined route into top punditry that similar male players have.

So either your issue is that ex-players get top pundit jobs too easily compared to professional sports journalists who weren't players - which is a legitimate point whether I actually agree or disagree with it - or that female footballers are inherently unqualified to comment on male football, which is obviously ridiculous.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Maybe if it was 10-15 years ago you could say this!

TV stations are absolutely falling over themselves to up the diversity levels.
The likes of Jenas have next to nothing to offer, yet are being literally fought over by multiple stations to get him in! That's not right.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I think you’ve missed my point, you can’t say “why has Mark Wright got a job on sky over other more well known ex-players” when Mark Wright has played at a higher level and has more experience at a higher level of the game than some of the people they already employ.

I don’t know why anyone would be shocked that he’s got a job on sky and use his experience in the game against him.. like I said it’s just the norm now.
Mark Wright was a youth player who chose a different career over football, and when he changed his mind again on a whim he only got a trial and a contract because he was Mark Wright the media star. How many other Crawley town players could get a job presenting at Sky? Probably not many.
I’m 36, if I rock up at even a non league ground and tell them to sign me I’ll be rightly laughed out of the building even though I quite fancy a stab at being a professional footballer.
On the other hand girls like Alex and Karen have never done anything other than play football for a living until retirement, moving into media to talk about football. You tell me who knows more about the game and has more experience.
Your argument is flawed because you’re comparing the men’s and women’s games, which are not equally funded and equally covered despite of an perceived positive discrimination.
A majority of male fans of the the men’s game have no interest in the women’s game, so to get taken seriously in the men’s game these girls have to be spot on in their analysis of games. It not so easy for them to sit and spout sporting cliches like some of the male pundits do.

That said I personally don’t have a problem with Mark Wright per say, I’ll judge him on his ability when I see him on TV.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Anyway, why the bloody hell has this thread descended into debate about pundits?

I entered the thread as I was interested about the whole Wright to Crawley story.
Incredible for a reality tv guy to suddenly turn up as a pro at 33/34, after a fairly middling non league career a decade ago.

Impossible to believe there wasn't a fair bit of publicity/razzmattaz in the whole thing.
And a couple of sub appearances, one for about 2mins in a cup game 3-0 up (was it?) seems a pretty unsatisfying end.

Cast5

Mark Wright was a youth player who chose a different career over football, and when he changed his mind again on a whim he only got a trial and a contract because he was Mark Wright the media star. How many other Crawley town players could get a job presenting at Sky? Probably not many.
I’m 36, if I rock up at even a non league ground and tell them to sign me I’ll be rightly laughed out of the building even though I quite fancy a stab at being a professional footballer.
On the other hand girls like Alex and Karen have never done anything other than play football for a living until retirement, moving into media to talk about football. You tell me who knows more about the game and has more experience.
Your argument is flawed because you’re comparing the men’s and women’s games, which are not equally funded and equally covered despite of an perceived positive discrimination.
A majority of male fans of the the men’s game have no interest in the women’s game, so to get taken seriously in the men’s game these girls have to be spot on in their analysis of games. It not so easy for them to sit and spout sporting cliches like some of the male pundits do.

That said I personally don’t have a problem with Mark Wright per say, I’ll judge him on his ability when I see him on TV.
You didn’t have to write all that, you could have just wrote the bolded part and said you agreed with me.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Since this turned into a discussion of football pundits, could somebody in England please save the world from Micah Richards. I just cant take anymore robust laughter and zero insight.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Discussions on pundits and commentators always amuse me. I'm willing to bet that many who give the job a try themselves might find a bit of respect for the pundits they hate so much.

As for female pundits, they are the same as their male counterparts. Some are good, some not so good. But I'd like to point out that you are more likely to dislike a pundit if they say something that you disagree with, there's a good chance that you yourself might be wrong but said pundits View fits with confirmation bias, thus, terrible pundit.

Mark Wright was clearly good enough for Crawley to give him a contract, it's a shame it hasn't worked out. If sky or anybody else wants to give him a go, fair play, let's see how he does. I believe he's already done some soccer specials on sky anyway hasn't he?

Cast5

i don’t agree with you. I don’t have a problem with women discussing the men’s game. I happen to think they’re better at it than most men!
I don’t have a problem with women discussing football either, what are you talking about?

the bolded part of your post is quite ironic, gave me a chuckle.

Gibb11

Discussions on pundits and commentators always amuse me. I'm willing to bet that many who give the job a try themselves might find a bit of respect for the pundits they hate so much.

As for female pundits, they are the same as their male counterparts. Some are good, some not so good. But I'd like to point out that you are more likely to dislike a pundit if they say something that you disagree with, there's a good chance that you yourself might be wrong but said pundits View fits with confirmation bias, thus, terrible pundit.

Mark Wright was clearly good enough for Crawley to give him a contract, it's a shame it hasn't worked out. If sky or anybody else wants to give him a go, fair play, let's see how he does. I believe he's already done some soccer specials on sky anyway hasn't he?
I dont think he was 'clearly' good enough tbh, think it was sentimental really

SER19

Alex Scott's experience in the women's game is the equivalent of someone like Ashley Cole or Gary Neville. In fact, she played more competitive international games and scored more goals in those games than either. Players like that in the men's game don't have to go 'trudging off to Scunthorpe for Soccer Saturday' either. She's had the same streamlined route into top punditry that similar male players have.

So either your issue is that ex-players get top pundit jobs too easily compared to professional sports journalists who weren't players - which is a legitimate point whether I actually agree or disagree with it - or that female footballers are inherently unqualified to comment on male football, which is obviously ridiculous.
You've completely missed my point. That or you're literally repeating my point. Because she's judged to have the exact same experience as neville etc is exactly why she hasn't had to work 'extra hard' to get a role. Its a complete myth. Don't know where you've landed on a notion of her not being capable to comment on mens as i explicitly said that's not the point

You seem to be looking to argue that separate point in the wrong place.

Last edited:

SER19

i don’t agree with you. I don’t have a problem with women discussing the men’s game. I happen to think they’re better at it than most men!
This is an incredibly vague sentence. It reads as if you think 'women' broadly are 'better' at discussing football than 'most men.' i assume you mean you think alex Scott is better as a pundit that 'most' male pundits

SER19

People gush over the punditry and insight of likes of vickery, Glanville and many more. You don't have to have been a player to contribute meaningfully to a conversation about the game.

However, some punditry roles as i see them are designed to have ex players give unique insight to the game play of competitive men's football at the very highest level (most don't offer much it seems) and those roles should be left to people who can actually comment on those things. Roy Keane for example, can offer a more credible insight on what it is like to play in a high level competitive men's game in front of 60,000 fans than a reality TV star

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
I dont think he was 'clearly' good enough tbh, think it was sentimental really
The division that Crawley play in are operating a salary cap. They aren't wasting a spot on sentiment. He didn't feature much, but he was signed for more than sentiment.

Jam

I cannot wait for a day there’s a woman reffing in the prem to see the absolute tears of some people; they’ll act as if it’s the end times, the great rapture. Bring it on I say!

Scott is a good pundit. You can sling your she isn’t qualified rhetorics when we all know what you’re really saying behind the dog whistles.

Wright, to be fair to him, is charismatic and has plenty of television experience behind him as well as his links to football. He’s a “big name” (relatively) for UK audiences and has these tangible links to the professional game - that’s why he’ll be doing punditry/hosting.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Probably boosted the PR and media exposure a decent bit.....
Happy to be proven wrong, but it did look contrived as a media stunt. Even getting on in injury-time in the cup looked like a token gesture to keep the cameras happy.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Typical red cafe thread this.

We're talking about a reality TV star being released and everyone banging on about women football pundits Vs men football pundits.

Not one single person has said it so I'll fecking say it:

Sign him up Ole!

redrobed

Typical red cafe thread this.

We're talking about a reality TV star being released and everyone banging on about women football pundits Vs men football pundits.

Not one single person has said it so I'll fecking say it:

Sign him up Ole!
Just because he’s free? Is that the standard now? We’ve become so used to years of underinvestment in the playing squad we’ll just take anyone as long as we don’t have to pay for them. We’re Manchester United and it’s about time we started acting like it. Trippier would be a far better option and still available for a pittance.