Cricket Draft - Tests

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Nominations please!

Looking for as many as 12 teams.

The rules -

1) The player must have debuted between 01/01/1970 and 31/12/1999
2) The player must have played a minimum of 20 test matches.
3) Snake Draft order will be used, that is 1 to 12,12 to 1, 1 to 12 and so on.
4) No limits on player of certain nationalities in the team.
5) Players will be divided in groups of 3. Winner of each group qualify for semi final.
6) The voting window will be open for 24 hours.
7) If two teams are tied on votes in a knockout match then the team, that has most number of nationalities represented in the team, will go through. If that number is same for both then err we will figure something out
8) Randomizer will decide where the group match will be played at. Possible grounds -
  • Eden Gardens, Kolkatta
  • WACA, Perth
  • SCG, Sydney
  • Lords, London
  • Kingsmead, Durban
  • National Stadium, Karachi
  • MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai
  • Old Trafford, Manchester
SFs - Eden , Lords

Final - SCG

Players so far
1) crappy
2) Interval Level
3) Varun_Utd
4) NM
5) Donaldol
6) KM
7) Akash / manikandan nair
8) Aldo
9) Red Indian
10) MJJ
11) The Man himself
12) ghaliboy

------------------

Available as assistants
13) Sammer's Hammer from newbies
14) zing?

zing

Zingle balls
Sign me up, but why 1999? 13 years of debuts after that is a long period.

Interval

Level
Crappy, a suggestion if you don't mind. I don't have an issue with players debuting between 1970 and 1980 but few would've seen them play making comparisons a bit ridiculous. Obviously it opens up some all time greats, which is a plus

crappycraperson

Scout
Crappy, a suggestion if you don't mind. I don't have an issue with players debuting between 1970 and 1980 but few would've seen them play making comparisons a bit ridiculous. Obviously it opens up some all time greats, which is a plus

I was half thinking about making it 1960.. hah!.

Let's see how it goes. I think people will mostly go for known players from that era so should not not be a big issue.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Count me in although my knowledge is a bit sketchy at best as far as the 70's go

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
The pitches really changed over the last decade. So as Aldo suggested, it was done to keep out the skewed stats
How are you going to judge players then?

The likes of Ponting and Kallis played the vast majority of their careers and accumulated most of their runs after 1999. Do we ignore that? If not I don't see the point of 1999 restriction

Moby

Dick
Well when I proposed the criteria the idea was mainly to eliminate players who been at their peak in last 7-8 odd years when thinks have gone massively in the favour of batsmen. Ponting, Kallis, Dravid and all still played a considerable part of their career during the time when pitches weren't as bad, and some genuine quality bowlers were still around to give them a stiff competition. Right now you have a bunch of them walking around with 50 plus averages and all which doesn't really represent their quality correctly.

It's impossible to have a perfect criteria which eliminates exactly what we want but I guess this one is close enough.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Count me in. I have never played any draft game before though.
A clarification needed: Do we choose XI players or 13-14 players? Reason being, one may want to tweak XI based on ground and the traditional pitch at that location.
Also what Akash has stated. If it just debut till 1999 and players are judged as on till date(like Ponting, Kallis, Dravid), that should be fine.

zing

Zingle balls
I don't really agree to it. Most of us here would've seen a major portion of our cricket post 1999.

On one hand, you have players from 1999 till date with slightly skewed averages, on the other hand, you have players from the 1970s who I am sure none of us would've seen.

Moby

Dick
Zing, it is debut till 31 Dec 1999, so a lot of players would have their careers post 1999, the ones who made their debut in late 90s.

Moby

Dick
Count me in. I have never played any draft game before though.
A clarification needed: Do we choose XI players or 13-14 players? Reason being, one may want to tweak XI based on ground and the traditional pitch at that location.
Also what Akash has stated. If it just debut till 1999 and players are judged as on till date(like Ponting, Kallis, Dravid), that should be fine.
Don't think we had venues and conditions in previous drafts. Things are just judged based on overall careers. And I guess we usually have 12 picks.

Interval

Level
How about - Should have played atleast 10 tests before 2000? Then the player can be judged for their non-90s career as well since you would, I presume, have enough bulk from 1999-2003/4 to judge the player by

Red-Indian

How about - Should have played atleast 10 tests before 2000? Then the player can be judged for their non-90s career as well since you would, I presume, have enough bulk from 1999-2003/4 to judge the player by
I don't get what you're bothered about. From what I can read it means that as long as the player's debuted before Dec 99, he can be included and his whole career will be considered. Why complicate things further? Sure a couple of players will sneak in (I can't think offhand but maybe Sehwag? Gilchrist?) but is that significant enough to change the rules?

Moby

Dick
I think what IL meant was we scrape the pre 99 debut rule altogether and just have the 10/15 games played before 99 to eliminate the recent crop.

In other words, players eligible would be ones who made their debut after 01 Jan 1970 and played 10/15 tests before 1999.

I think that's a very good solution.

Red-Indian

I think what IL meant was we scrape the pre 99 debut rule altogether and just have the 10/15 games played before 99 to eliminate the recent crop.

In other words, players eligible would be ones who made their debut after 01 Jan 1970 and played 10/15 tests before 1999.

I think that's a very good solution.
Yeah it's not bad but why the additional bother? If they've debuted before 2000, they've had 23 years of cricket...enough to judge them on. Which unproven cricketer will sneak in if you don't have the additional rule?

Moby

Dick
It's an alternative from what I read. Both are not much different from each other so yeah we can still go ahead with the one in OP. I guess IL came up with it as few had an issue with what we had in the OP.

I'm fine with either, both accomplish what we aim to a certain degree.

Interval

Level
Yeah it's not bad but why the additional bother? If they've debuted before 2000, they've had 23 years of cricket...enough to judge them on. Which unproven cricketer will sneak in if you don't have the additional rule?
Fair enough. I saw confusion. I gave solution. Didn't think much on whether the problem was really a problem. Over to you, men. I'm going to devise strategies now.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Someone will have to explain it to me in dumbass terms. I'm terrible at fantasy, tipping and in general. So I'll play if I know what you're doing.

Moby

Dick
Sure.

Basically we will start with having an order of 16 participants, which will remain fixed throughout the draft.

We start with the 'drafting stage' where we all pick one player in that fixed order from 1-16, then 16-1 then 1-16 and so on. It goes on like that till we all have 11/12 players in our teams, whatever the rules say.

Once a player is drafted no one else can pick him for his team. And the players pool from which you can choose is governed by a criteria which is given in the OP. For this draft, it is players who made their test debut between 01 Jan 1970 and 31 Dec 1999.

For example, there are 4 participants : A,B,C and D. So it will go like this :

A picks Kohli
B picks Jadeja
C picks Ishant
D picks Munaf

then next round starts with D in opposite order so,

D picks Pollard
C picks ...

and so on.

It is a general etiquette not to name players eligible for the draft till all the teams are complete, so as to not to ruin the fun.

You must end up with a 'normal looking' side with a decent balance between batsmen, bowlers,etc.

After we all have our teams we participate in a tournament where public voting decides which team goes through to the next round via 1v1 games and we have a winner.

zing

Zingle balls
Actually, could you take my name out, please? I don't believe I know enough(if anything) about a majority of the cricket in that period.

crappycraperson

Scout
We will start this today. I will chop down the number of teams and reconfigure the first stage