Crisis at United (December 2001)

Sviken

Oh yes, the manager that dominated the league and won the treble is comparable to Ole, the guy that relegated Cardiff. :lol:

GueRed

I remember before Fergie changed his mind I was Wenger or Hitzfeld In at the time.

Who was the Redcafe favourite to replace Fergie at the time?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I remember before Fergie changed his mind I was Wenger or Hitzfeld In at the time.

Who was the Redcafe favourite to replace Fergie at the time?
Wenger would have done well with United’s funds and academy.

Ixion

The first lady is right, we shouldn't have sold Stam, one of Fergie's biggest mistakes. Playing Scholes up front with Ruud also took a lot of time to adjust to.

DutchCruijff

Should never have sold Stam, from '00-03 we should have won a UCL.

Barthez with Neville/Stam/Ferdinand/LB at the back.

Beckham/Keane/Scholes/Giggs in the midfield with Veron (he played #10 numerous times in Serie A) off of van Nistelrooy.

GueRed

The first lady is right, we shouldn't have sold Stam, one of Fergie's biggest mistakes. Playing Scholes up front with Ruud also took a lot of time to adjust to.
Yeah I was shocked and gutted he was sold. Was still a world class centre-back at the time.

Fergie years later admitted it was a mistake

Caesar2290

Yeah I was shocked and gutted he was sold. Was still a world class centre-back at the time.

Fergie years later admitted it was a mistake
Fergie had his faults and one of them was he would never forgive the players who dared to go against him or his family.

Stam called out the nepotism at United(ironic really that 20 years later we have the same problem) and Fergie sold him for that. The injuries were simply used as a justification.

Keane went out in a similar fashion after his post Boro rant were he questioned SAF's motivation. The whole "he was past it" argument is bogus considering how late into their careers both Scholes and Giggs featured.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Back when a 'crisis' was the odd season of not winning trophies or playing all that well.

GueRed

Fergie had his faults and one of them was he would never forgive the players who dared to go against him or his family.

Stam called out the nepotism at United(ironic really that 20 years later we have the same problem) and Fergie sold him for that. The injuries were simply used as a justification.

Keane went out in a similar fashion after his post Boro rant were he questioned SAF's motivation. The whole "he was past it" argument is bogus considering how late into their careers both Scholes and Giggs featured.
In your opinion.

The Stam sale had nothing to do with the book..according to Fergie

Caesar2290

In your opinion.

The Stam sale had nothing to do with the book..according to Fergie
According to Fergie...

It's not like the great man is going to come out and say: "So yeah, he kind of went against my son so I decided to feck him over" :lol:

Caesar2290

Didn't he bankrupt them essentially?
I think it was the board who decided to risk it and take loans to buy better player hopping they'd be able to sustain the success.

Don't remember how much O'Leary was involved.

RedStarUnited

Back then a crisis came a few months AFTER winning the league 3 times in a row. And United went on to win the league the season after this “crisis” too.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I hope we can somehow return to a time where we can talk about all things Manchester United without people getting pissed off and making everything about Ole.

Caesar2290

I hope we can somehow return to a time where we can talk about all things Manchester United without people getting pissed off and making everything about Ole.
That time will come. When he is sacked. At least for the first 3-5 month after

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

Its really starting to bug me that we're using the word "nepotism" incorrectly. Nepotism is derived from Italian and describes favors bestoved upon family and kin, not buddies. nipote literally means nephew.

largelyworried

According to Fergie...

It's not like the great man is going to come out and say: "So yeah, he kind of went against my son so I decided to feck him over" :lol:
Have you read it? Its like a love letter to Man United. Its main problem was that it was boring.

Caesar2290

Its really starting to bug me that we're using the word "nepotism" incorrectly. Nepotism is derived from Italian and describes favors bestoved upon family and kin, not buddies. nipote literally means nephew.
If memory serves, in his book Stam hits out directly at SAF's brother(or son, I can't remember). So yeah, he was calling out nepotism at out club back then.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
It's important to note that a crisis then was not looking like winning the league.

In that sense we've been in crises for 7 years now :lol:

Caesar2290

No I haven't. Can't say I'm surprised. Listening to his interviews I can clearly see that Stam enjoyed his time here and didn't want to be sold. Such a shame he was. Imagine him and Rio as a CB partnership just before Vida's arrival :drool:

romufc

People really need to move on. SAF era is gone, it was one of those eras in sport that you will never see again.

We can talk about the club / board need to move on from it, the fans need to as well with all these Ole and SAF comparisons. Its disrespectful to SAF to compare him to Ole.

Things have changed, fans along with the club need to accept we are in modern football where it is a results based game, no one gets time now.