Cristiano has always been a better player than Rooney

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
Nope. Plus Fergie virtually never rests him. I guess he thinks the more football he plays the better he'll get.

Thing about Rooney is, he does so much with his first touch, like Gazza used to...brings it down and nudges it past his man in one movement. When it comes off it really gives him the edge, when it doesn't he looks a bit ragged.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Rooney needs a rest. Hopefully he will get one when Larson arrives.

Ronaldo right now is out of this world. Plays the ball first time, good crosses, passes, runs, dribblings, and most important, cant stop scoring.

kanchelskis14

Was Rooney last season as good as Ronaldo now? To the point that he was being called in almost all quaters, the best player in England and the world?

That's a genuine question due to a lack of memory on this.

Plechazunga

I dunno man. Ronaldo's hardly being called that in all quarters. Drogba's been just as good as him this season, and worldwide there are several better players. Last season Rooney got a lot of plaudits, don't think he was better than Henry though.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
Plechazunga said:
I dunno man. Ronaldo's hardly being called that in all quarters. Drogba's been just as good as him this season, and worldwide there are several better players. Last season Rooney got a lot of plaudits, don't think he was better than Henry though.
Nah only Kaka and Drogba and maybe Ronaldinho are as good as Ronaldo atm.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
Plechazunga said:
Do only attacking players get to be the best in the world?
Yes usually or do you want to include Cannavaro?:wenger:

Saq

cannavaro zidane and ronaldinho are the best at the moment

kanchelskis14

Plechazunga said:
Fair enough. From what i do remember, Rooney wasn't as good as Ronaldo has been. Hate to bring this point up again, but imagine Ronnie were English on this form. But i've pretty much said my lot. I think the different positions is also something we often forget, the 'end product' expectations from both are different for instance. And there's no way Ronaldo will have the same influence as Rooney from out wide. The 'better passing' may well be true, but passing is pretty much crossing alone for Ronaldo, Rooney gets to demonstrate different qualities from the middle. Which is why people complain when Rooney plays out wide. He can't influence the game in the same way. For the fact that Ronaldo influences the game as he does, from wide, is quite impressive.

I do like Rooney though. He plays for my feckin' team, and i like it when he wins us games, gets us goals etc. Just thought i'd point that out. It just looks like i may not because the shoe is on the other foot and i've been going on about his weaknesses as opposed to strengths, like most do for Ronnie, when the emphasis is on his lack of delivery or whatever it may be, as opposed to how he leaves people for dead.

kanchelskis14

Plechazunga said:
Well obviously Ronnie's a better winger...he's a winger
Exactly, and obviously Rooney would be better at some of the things you listed, like his playmaking abilities, although when played centrally, Ronnie is effective. But people take Rooney's strengths through the middle, and take them as what make him better than Ronaldo, who's excellent wing skills, are not as .

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Rooney has never touched the heights of Ronaldo's current form, no doubt about that. Great to see him come on so much as a player this year.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
kanchelskis14 said:
Fair enough. From what i do remember, Rooney wasn't as good as Ronaldo has been. Hate to bring this point up again, but imagine Ronnie were English on this form. But i've pretty much said my lot. I think the different positions is also something we often forget, the 'end product' expectations from both are different for instance. And there's no way Ronaldo will have the same influence as Rooney from out wide. The 'better passing' may well be true, but passing is pretty much crossing alone for Ronaldo, Rooney gets to demonstrate different qualities from the middle. Which is why people complain when Rooney plays out wide. He can't influence the game in the same way. For the fact that Ronaldo influences the game as he does, from wide, is quite impressive.

I do like Rooney though. He plays for my feckin' team, and i like it when he wins us games, gets us goals etc. Just thought i'd point that out. It just looks like i may not because the shoe is on the other foot and i've been going on about his weaknesses as opposed to strengths, like most do for Ronnie, when the emphasis is on his lack of delivery or whatever it may be, as opposed to how he leaves people for dead.
At the same time last year, Rooney carried the whole United team. He was in brilliant form.

Ronaldo now is brilliant, no question. One of the best players right now. That discussion is getting boring though

Spoony

The People's President
kanchelskis14 said:
No he didn't. He was our best player maybe. There is a difference.

I don;t think Ronaldo's carrying the side, this season. The whole team has been pretty fecking excellent. It's just that he's clearly been our best player. Vidic, Scholes, Rio, Evra, Giggs, Saha etc have been quality.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
Michel04 said:
At the same time last year, Rooney carried the whole United team. He was in brilliant form.

Ronaldo now is brilliant, no question. One of the best players right now. That discussion is getting boring though
Rooney didn't have the same consistency as Ronaldo has this season.

Plechazunga

kanchelskis14 said:
when Ronaldo gets the ball it excites me more than Rooney, who may well be a 'better' player.
kanchelskis14 said:
Not saying Rooney is not better, and that is not the bloody point of this thread.However, people jump on Ronaldo and forget that he is also 20 and learning.
kanchelskis14 said:
For me, Ronaldo and Rooney are probably equally talented, although Rooney is more matured in his game than Ronaldo.

Davo said:
Rooney's miles better

I don't understand why anyone would claim otherwise?
kanchelskis14 said:
Who exactly attempted to 'claim otherwise'?
Davo said:
Dunno

But people do sometimes....they say "but Ronaldo's equally as good" or the like

Which is silly..
kanchelskis14 said:
I doubt many think that. I for one think he's equally as TALENTED, but certainly not equally as good. Again, however, comparing them was never my point. Just trying to get Ronaldo a little recognition as well.

kanchelskis14 said:
For me, Ronaldo is not inferior to Rooney in terms of ability, but in a game, it takes more than that, it takes maturity, mental strength and an understanding of the constant movements of every other player on the field. It is due to this that Rooney is better in my opinion.
kanchelskis14 said:
Rooney is a better player, as everyone has said. My point, the point of this whole thread, is that Ronaldo is amazing himself too.

An Extremely Boring Man said:
Rooney is better than Ronaldo. Do we all agree?
kanchelskis14 said:
He most definetly is. Now that we established that, a LONG time ago, can we all accept that Ronaldo is a bit good too and the thread would be pretty much closed.

kanchelskis14 said:
i acknowledge Rooney is better (for the millionth time).
kanchelskis14 said:
However, it's simple, again for those who understand things slowly, Rooney is better than Ronaldo, but Ronaldo is also quite good
kanchelskis14 said:
ROONEY IS BETTER THAN RONALDO,RONALDO IS ALSO GOOD AND AN IMPORTANT PART OF OUR ATTACK.SOME OF THE CRITICISM HE GETS ON HERE IS A BIT HARSH. BOTH ARE VALUABLE PLAYERS FOR US, OF WHOM ROONEY IS CURRENTLY THE BETTER

Instant Karma

Closet Gooner
Michel04 said:

Rooney didnt carry United last season. Its a spastic claim that one person carries a team through an entire season to 83 points when Ruud was the second highest scorer in the league and Saha/Ronaldo were brilliant in the second half of last season.

The reason that this thread is still going on is because there were Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime at the start of the season suggesting how Lennon and Duff were so much better than Ronaldo.

R*v*N

Ruud's agent, United's biggest shareholder, loves
Cristiano and Wayne are different types of footballer, we cant say who is better than who, now Cristiano is in better form than Wayne, that's it

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Rooney, during November until January, was by far Uniteds best players. His performances made sure we did not lose further ground on Chelsea

Instant Karma

Closet Gooner
kanchelskis14 said:
The 'better passing' may well be true, but passing is pretty much crossing alone for Ronaldo
The better passing from Rooney is again more hype. His shots on target ratio is similar to Ronaldo's and his pass% is worse.

Player..........Passes.........Pass %
Scholes.........1,056..........91.6%
Rio.................963...........81.9%
Carrick............835...........84.3%
Ronaldo...........690...........85.7%

http://home.skysports.com/optastats.aspx?clid=1&hlid=OPTA_Manchester_United&cpid=8

Ronaldo's passing is better than even Carrick's and better than most other players in the league except Scholes.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
Instant Karma said:
The better passing from Rooney is again more hype. His shots on target ratio is similar to Ronaldo's and his pass% is worse.

Player..........Passes.........Pass %
Rio.................963...........81.9%
Carrick............835...........84.3%
Ronaldo...........690...........85.7%

http://home.skysports.com/optastats.aspx?clid=1&hlid=OPTA_Manchester_United&cpid=8

Ronaldo's passing is better than even Carrick's and better than most other players in the league except Scholes.
Rooney tries more difficult passes than Ronaldo though. Ronaldo usually pass it sideways when he can't dribble past a player.

Spoony

The People's President

That's immense. The amount of passes and still he's got an insanely high completion ratio.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
Spoony said:

That's immense. The amount of passes and still he's got an insanely high completion ratio.
Yes especially when you think about the long passes he does with the outside of his foot:eek:

Instant Karma

Closet Gooner
Plechazunga said:
Is that from this season? Everyone admits Rooney's not been in form this season.
Even last season, Rooney never had something like 85% pass completion. Only Scholes in the entire league has a better completion rate this season suggesting that 85% is pretty impressive.

And Ronaldo was in form at the begining of last season ? Somehow when Rooney's performance at the begining of last season are brought up, Ronaldo's personal crisis and poor form are ignored. Yet when Ronaldo has been brilliant this time around 'everyone admits Rooney's been poor'

And its daft to suggest that Ronaldo's near 700 passes have been sideways and thats why he has a better pass %.

kanchelskis14

Spoony said:
I don;t think Ronaldo's carrying the side, this season. The whole team has been pretty fecking excellent. It's just that he's clearly been our best player. Vidic, Scholes, Rio, Evra, Giggs, Saha etc have been quality.
Agreed, i never meant Ronnie was carrying the side. I just mean he's been our best player, like Rooney was last season, although not 'carrying' us either.

kanchelskis14

Instant Karma said:
Even last season, Rooney never had something like 85% pass completion. Only Scholes in the entire league has a better completion rate this season suggesting that 85% is pretty impressive.

And Ronaldo was in form at the begining of last season ? Somehow when Rooney's performance at the begining of last season are brought up, Ronaldo's personal crisis and poor form are ignored. Yet when Ronaldo has been brilliant this time around 'everyone admits Rooney's been poor'

And its daft to suggest that Ronaldo's near 700 passes have been sideways and thats why he has a better pass %.
Very true post.

Ixion

If Ronaldo doesn't win player of the season the entire premiership should be tried for crimes against humanity. Unless Scholes wins it, I could live with that.

Ringo 07

MrMarcello said:
I normally play as a right wingback in our 5-a-side matches, though sometimes I play forward. When contested by an opposing player I tend to think too much will lose possession or rush a pass. But when given space on the wing I can fly like the wind and deliver a great cross or cut in on goal... from the right foot. I can't do shit with my left foot. I also love backtracking in our 5-a-side matches. I've gotten much better at defending and closing space. Without my pace I'd be totally crap. That said, I'm no star by any means.

I'm not too shabby on set pieces either... heading on goal/away, and I've near mastered taking corner kicks.
What a gay thing to write in this thread, You are a rentboy spastic

Plechazunga

Instant Karma said:

No-one's suggesting that - stop caricaturing other people's arguments.

He clearly doesn't try nearly as many difficult passes as Rooney. Rooney's always trying long-range cross-field passes, defence-splitting balls, little flicks. When they come off they can change a game, but they're not always going to come off. Ronaldo doesn't do this nearly as much, because he's a winger, and because he doesn't have such a range of passing.

Instant Karma

Closet Gooner
Plechazunga said:
No-one's suggesting that - stop caricaturing other people's arguments.
Look at Richters post about Ronaldo's passing is only sideways when he cant beat the player and your next post.

Plechazunga said:
He clearly doesn't try nearly as many difficult passes as Rooney. Rooney's always trying long-range cross-field passes, defence-splitting balls, little flicks. When they come off they can change a game, but they're not always going to come off. Ronaldo doesn't do this nearly as much, because he's a winger, and because he doesn't have such a range of passing.
In today's match, Ronaldo played several through balls that were brilliant - the one that Rooney tried to lob above the goal, one for Ole that was just cleared away. Look at our third goal against Villa, his one touch pass releases Rooney into acres of space. The only thing he doesnt try is cross field passes because even if he played one, it would be called a cross. He tries more little ficks than Rooney and has been slated often for that. He has cut that down this season but Rooney always gets the excuse that 'they are not all going to come off'

Rooney's was better if the first half of last season because he is supposedly a better player yet when Ronaldo is better this time around its only due to Rooney's poor form. :rolleyes:
Rooney's shooting even when in brilliant form was as wayward as Ronaldo's last season yet only one player was repeatedly slated on here. Now when Ronaldo has cut out the flicks and is being more direct the excuse for Rooney is that they dont always come off.