5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greck

Basically the exact same comparison as for why you are bashing Ronaldo, but it’s okay I understand you probably don’t watch much football.
Oh brother, all because I criticsed Ronaldo. Stop taking harmless critiques at players' forms personal. Kane isn't a United player so why should his form be used to deflect Ronaldo's previous poor form in a discussion on a Ronaldo performances thread on a Manchester united forum. What kind of idiot logic equates the two? Did anyone defend Kane in the first place? Christ these player threads are to fanboys what shit is to flies. Don't get on people for criticisng your favourite. CR wasn't in the best of form in the last 2 months, anyone can see that. Bruno, Rashford and the rest all got heat for the parts they played, why should CR be any different?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
"We were just joking that maybe it makes sense to send him to Portugal for three days, then have him not train for two and then have him back, by the way he performed on a similar kind of level on Thursday in training," said Rangnick.

"I decided after that training session to play him today even though he has not trained for a week. Maybe we have to do that for the rest of the season."

He's joking but it should seriously be considered to rotate and rest Ronaldo more, he's 37 and I'm sure at that age fatigue hits harder on the body.
It should absolutely be considered. The fact it’s not how he’s been used all season is the problem. That and having to convince Ronaldo to be a bit part player. Well, that and the lack of alternatives. Maybe Cavani finally getting fit will help. Who knows?

EtH

As I’ve said before I can’t wait for Ronaldo to leave for a number of reasons but first and foremost so I don’t have to put up with the fanboy nonsense from supposed United fans.

And no, one hat trick does not change that.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
"We were just joking that maybe it makes sense to send him to Portugal for three days, then have him not train for two and then have him back, by the way he performed on a similar kind of level on Thursday in training," said Rangnick.

"I decided after that training session to play him today even though he has not trained for a week. Maybe we have to do that for the rest of the season."

He's joking but it should seriously be considered to rotate and rest Ronaldo more, he's 37 and I'm sure at that age fatigue hits harder on the body.
Yes this does look like the obvious solution to prolong his career without tarnishing his reputation too much.

Goals aside I was impressed with how frequently and effectively Ronaldo dropped deep yesterday. He was the one player consistently moving and showing for the ball, very Cavani like in fact, and if its freshness that's allowed him to put in that type of performance then we have to figure out a schedule that works for him while crucially also still letting Ronaldo feel like the leader of this team.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
As I’ve said before I can’t wait for Ronaldo to leave for a number of reasons but first and foremost so I don’t have to put up with the fanboy nonsense from supposed United fans.

In an era where all our fans ever seem to do is criticise anyone and everyone, it's quite refreshing to see some praise for a player now and again. Weird that it would offend you.

Deery

Dreary
It’s not even close. Such a childish notion that saying a footballer’s not been a good signing is “hating” him.
I don’t think it’s childish at all to see something unfolding and question it, what I do find childish is the gaslighting of it doesn’t actually exist.

Deery

Dreary
Oh brother, all because I criticsed Ronaldo. Stop taking harmless critiques at players' forms personal. Kane isn't a United player so why should his form be used to deflect Ronaldo's previous poor form in a discussion on a Ronaldo performances thread on a Manchester united forum. What kind of idiot logic equates the two? Did anyone defend Kane in the first place? Christ these player threads are to fanboys what shit is to flies. Don't get on people for criticisng your favourite. CR wasn't in the best of form in the last 2 months, anyone can see that. Bruno, Rashford and the rest all got heat for the parts they played, why should CR be any different?
I was asking you a very simple question of would you measure Kane with the same stick? To which it looks like you’ve totally lost the plot, strange.

EtH

In an era where all our fans ever seem to do is criticise anyone and everyone, it's quite refreshing to see some praise for a player now and again. Weird that it would offend you.
What are you on about ? Why would praise for a player offend me ? Did I even say that ? This is just the sort of stupidity I’m talking about.

The bulk of our players and club as a whole deserve to be criticized regularly. Ronaldo included. Let’s not pretend he hasn’t been a disaster of a signing.

FattyFooty

Great post. I have no time for Ronaldo and his antics. It's clear he has no respect for the manager and I'm certain these leaks about players questioning Rangknick's background and training methods are coming from Ronaldo's clique. He's truly finished at the top level. PSG or whichever club is foolish enough to sign him after us will find that out
Hello LeFou.

Greck

I was asking you a very simple question of would you measure Kane with the same stick? To which it looks like you’ve totally lost the plot, strange.
Just take a break. It's okay. I also promise to stop so you no longer feel "gaslit" by criticisms of his poor form as I care too much about your mental and emotional wellbeing. Cheers friend.

Deery

Dreary
The whole of Old Trafford was singing his name for about 15 minutes, but yeah they’re all 75,000 fan boys he wants rid of.

EtH

The whole of Old Trafford was singing his name for about 15 minutes, but yeah they’re all 75,000 fan boys he wants rid of.
More straw man nonsense. Just further proving my point.

Deery

Dreary
Just take a break. It's okay. I also promise to stop so you no longer feel "gaslit" by criticisms of his poor form as I care too much about your mental and emotional wellbeing. Cheers friend.
So you’ve been insulting and condescending about 4 times now and have still managed to not answer the question, okay.

TheReligion

Abusive
What are you on about ? Why would praise for a player offend me ? Did I even say that ? This is just the sort of stupidity I’m talking about.

The bulk of our players and club as a whole deserve to be criticized regularly. Ronaldo included. Let’s not pretend he hasn’t been a disaster of a signing.
He’s not been a disaster of a signing. He’s got us in the next round of the CL and has scored a decent amount in the PL.

The disaster has been what happened with Ole and more specifically losing Greenwood, Martial along side an out of form Rashford and a never fit Cavani.

Basically since January Ronaldo and Sancho have been our only two forward options to rely on. Sancho has flourished and Ronaldo, unsurprisingly at 37, has been more sporadic. He’s always turned out for us though and given 90 minutes and that’s not than I can say about others.

That was never the plan with him. He wasn’t brought in to play every single minute of every single game.

EtH

He’s not been a disaster of a signing. He’s got us in the next round of the CL and has scored a decent amount in the PL.

The disaster has been what happened with Ole and more specifically losing Greenwood, Martial along side an out of form Rashford and a never fit Cavani.

Basically since January Ronaldo and Sancho have been our only two forward options to rely on. Sancho has flourished and Ronaldo, unsurprisingly at 37, has been more sporadic. He’s always turned out for us though and given 90 minutes and that’s not than I can say about others.

That was never the plan with him. He wasn’t brought in to play every single minute of every single game.
He’s been a massive hindrance to our overall play and hasn’t been remotely clinical enough in front of goal to make up for it. And whatever the plan was supposed to be, Ronaldo won’t accept not playing every match. Which is a massive problem as he simply doesn’t have the legs to do it anymore.

TheReligion

Abusive
He’s been a massive hindrance to our overall play and hasn’t been remotely clinical enough in front of goal to make up for it. And whatever the plan was supposed to be, Ronaldo won’t accept not playing every match. Which is a massive problem as he simply doesn’t have the legs to do it anymore.
That may well be the case but as I say who could have foreseen what would happen with all our forwards in January?

They have let us down, not Ronaldo. He always makes himself available and gives his best.

Martial, Rashford, Greenwood and Cavani (all for very different reasons) are what have done us over this season. Everything has been dropped on the shoulders of Sancho, Ronaldo and the emerging Elanga.

Ronaldo, and Bruno, have been overplayed because of the above. But they never shirk it.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man

You are 100% right, but most people in this thread don't want to hear it. I do believe that there isn't any other player with a discussion culture that toxic around him. It's all about goals, stats (but only the good looking ones!) and big moments.
It's probably even a controversial statement to wish he would have scored one goal in each of the Watford, Southampton and Burnley games instead of the hattrick yesterday. Might not have been as massive of a moment for him as a player, but much more valuable for the team and that would actually kept us in a Top4 race.

People saying "he is the only good thing about us this season" when our other new signing actually has been our best player in 2022, played well yesterday too and look like he has a bright future is just baffling to me, but yeah whatever.

EtH

That may well be the case but as I say who could have foreseen what would happen with all our forwards in January?

They have let us down, not Ronaldo. He always makes himself available and gives his best.

Martial, Rashford, Greenwood and Cavani (all for very different reasons) are what have done us over this season. Everything has been dropped on the shoulders of Sancho, Ronaldo and the emerging Elanga.

Ronaldo, and Bruno, have been overplayed because of the above. But they never shirk it.
How does any of that excuse Ronaldo’s poor form or demanding to play every match even though he isn’t up to it ?

TheReligion

Abusive
How does any of that excuse Ronaldo’s poor form or demanding to play every match even though he isn’t up to it ?
Well he’s had to play every game hasn’t he as who else has been fit? You said he’s been a dreadful signing; he’s not been.

Given what’s happened this season it’s lucky we had him or else it would have been Sancho and Elanga v the rest of the world.

I’ll repeat. The reason we’ve drawn so many games and have been racking up the xG but not converting to wins in recent weeks is due to the lack of forwards.

Parma Dewol

I thought he was past it. More fool me. What a hat-trick that was yesterday.

He's clearly not the player he used to be - nor should he be at 37 - but his ability to find the back of the net still puts most other footballers to shame. Incredible athlete and unbelievable desire.

Shame he returned so late in his career. Though he's no longer a player we can build the future of our club around, he's definitely someone we can enjoy during this most bizarre of interim seasons.

EtH

Well he’s had to play every game hasn’t he as who else has been fit? You said he’s been a dreadful signing; he’s not been.

Given what’s happened this season it’s lucky we had him or else it would have been Sancho and Elanga v the rest of the world.

I’ll repeat. The reason we’ve drawn so many games and have been racking up the xG but not converting to wins in recent weeks is due to the lack of forwards.
And yet we loaned Martial out while the guy on massive wages to convert those chances hasn’t delivered.

TheReligion

Abusive
And yet we loaned Martial out while the guy on massive wages to convert those chances hasn’t delivered.
And Martial isn’t delivering by all accounts on loan.

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make here and you’re not tackling the issue I’ve raised. It’s obvious Ronaldo has been forced to play more than necessary given our lack of options and yes he’s struggled at times. That’s not his fault though and in all honesty it’s been lucky we’ve had him given the rest of the forwards have let us down.

Is he a perfect fit? No, but we bought him before Rangnick came in so our style was much different. He’s still bloody good though and he’s clearly not been a “disastrous signing” as you try to make out.

EtH

And Martial isn’t delivering by all accounts on loan.

I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make here and you’re not tackling the issue I’ve raised. It’s obvious Ronaldo has been forced to play more than necessary given our lack of options and yes he’s struggled at times. That’s not his fault though and in all honesty it’s been lucky we’ve had him given the rest of the forwards have let us down.

Is he a perfect fit? No, but we bought him before Rangnick came in so our style was much different. He’s still bloody good though and he’s clearly not been a “disastrous signing” as you try to make out.
Well yes it has been disastrous as he has barely even been good enough to keep us in the top four hunt and we went backwards signing him rather than a younger player like Vlahovic we could actually rely on every match.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
I mean we had a striker in those games and he didn't perform and missed chances. I definitely agree that the lack of strikers is an issue, but I am not sure we would drop Ronaldo more often with more options available. It's not like Cavani, Martial or Greenwood got many chances upfront in comparison to him when they were available. We also are reluctant to try new things out. I would rather play with Bruno and Elanga upfront and keep Ronaldo fresh then overplaying him.

At the end of the day it's easy to see that he gets special treatment all the time even when playing bad. And outside of yesterday I don't think his 2022 is worth to be hold up on the same level as Sancho or even Elanga. He has been pretty bad overall in all the other games and not better than other players imo.
Pogba and Bruno have their moments here and there too, but I don't see them getting similiar praise and nor should they. We need consistency, not moments. And outside of Sancho and to some extent Elanga none of our attacking players are delivering that.

Deery

Dreary
That’s a very good point actually, he’s had to adapt his game like everyone else and he’s knuckled down and did, but was expected to continue his goal scoring by some without taking into consideration the system changes, though it seems to be coming together now and should have even scored a few previously but yesterday it did.

EtH

I mean we had a striker in those games and he didn't perform and missed chances. I definitely agree that the lack of strikers is an issue, but I am not sure we would drop Ronaldo more often with more options available. It's not like Cavani, Martial or Greenwood got many chances upfront in comparison to him when they were available. We also are reluctant to try new things out. I would rather play with Bruno and Elanga upfront and keep Ronaldo fresh then overplaying him.

At the end of the day it's easy to see that he gets special treatment all the time even when playing bad. And outside of yesterday I don't think his 2022 is worth to be hold up on the same level as Sancho or even Elanga. He has been pretty bad overall in all the other games and not better than other players imo.
Pogba and Bruno have their moments here and there too, but I don't see them getting similiar praise and nor should they. We need consistency, not moments. And outside of Sancho and to some extent Elanga none of our attacking players are delivering that.
The guy throws strops when he’s subbed, FFS.

But it’s this lack of options which has forced him to play every match. But he gives his all.

Sure.

JB7

Imagine taking as little joy from having one of the best players of all time scoring a hat trick for your club in a huge game as that clown above. Viva fecking Ronaldo.

Marwood

Like I said a couple of weeks ago, you have to enjoy this regardless of the big picture. Othrwise you've lost a big part of what makes football great.

Ralph1386

Ragnick wanted to keep Martial but he was already dead set on going out on loan because he got no game time under Ole, and Ragnick couldn’t change his mind.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Like I said a couple of weeks ago, you have to enjoy this regardless of the big picture. Othrwise you've lost a big part of what makes football great.
Indeed. We've had a very successful era that's bred a particular type of supporter, and it seems that this type of supporter can only really enjoy a win if its on the way to a league title or a trophy.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Yeah fair play. I also agree with you cutting a bit of a post can be helpful. But in this case I didn't really find sth to cut or leave out to be fair, but maybe that's on me. But it's not like all my posts are that long, don't worry ;)
But as someone who doesn't post that regularly I often just want to bring my points across in one post. I usually do that when I have the time and stamina for that and it's less time-consuming for me than posting 5,6 posts over a longer timeframe or even days.

But I know that posts can be terrifying, especially on smartphone. I still think sometimes that would be nicer than just a lot of knee-jerk reactions from both sides, but probably impossible to expect on an internet forum with more than a couple of people.
That's just the nature of internet discussion especially in a space with more than a couple of thousand users but honestly I don't mind it that much as u feel it adds a bit of flavor and color to the discussions and forces us evaluate some of the more extreme proposals and come out of our comfort zone so they still do have their place alongside the more nuanced takes perhaps world becomes too boring without them.

But yeah there are definitely times when people go overboard and threads especially the more divisive ones become full of brain dead takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.