Cristiano Ronaldo - Much Ado About Al Nassr

Bobski

The fanboys will try to make Soccer aid a factor in this discussion when they are both playing in that in about 5 years. Boring fecks.

mshnsh

Well I do agree their consistency/longevity level are almost the same. Its really hard to nail down who wins the contest there, It really depends on which angle you are looking at. IMO they are both at GOAT level in terms of their consistency/longevity.

Total appearances:
Messi: 1082+
Ronaldo: 1202+

Seasons in top 4 league:
Messi: 16
Ronaldo: 19

Seasons in top 7 league
Messi: 18
Ronaldo: 20

Ballon D'or shortlisted:
Messi: 16 times (likely 17)
Ronaldo: 18 times

Ballon D'or top 3 finish:
Messi: 13 times (likely 14)
Ronaldo: 12 times

Seasons scoring 40+ goals
Messi: 10 times
Ronaldo: 9 times

Seasons scoring 30+ goals
Messi: 13 times

Seasons scoring 20+ goals
Messi: 14 times
Ronaldo: 16 times

I mean those selected stats do give us an idea of how long have they been maintaining their peak form at the highest level, and those are indeed very close numbers.

Basically I think in terms of quantity at the very top level Ronaldo does edge abit, whereas in terms of quality at the highest level Messi seems capable of maintaining at highest level abit more.

Historically speaking I am not sure if theres another players who could match those level of consistency/longevity at football highest level. Maybe Puskas and Di Stefano?
Can we talk about assists, big chances created. The playmaking part? I won't even talk about dribbling stats. You can compare them interms of number of goals scored but outside of that, the chasm is quite big.

As for longevity at the highest level, Ronaldo only came good in 2006 after the world cup and ended in 2022, 16 seasons at high level, give or take.
Messi came good in 2005/6 season and ended in 2023; 17 seasons at a high level give or take. Messi left Europe out of choice to end it on a high, Ronaldo left because no one wanted him.

Can we talk about success with their respective countries?
Messi won u20 wc, Olympic gold, Copa America and the WC while being the player of the tournament in all of them.
Ronaldo won the Euro 2016, while hav8ng an average tournament; he was neither top scorer nor the player of the tournament.

I don't dispute that Ronaldo is an all time great but I have absolutely no doubt that Messi has always been the better footballer even in seasons when the former won the ballond'or.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Can we talk about assists, big chances created. The playmaking part? I won't even talk about dribbling stats. You can compare them interms of number of goals scored but outside of that, the chasm is quite big.

As for longevity at the highest level, Ronaldo only came good in 2006 after the world cup and ended in 2022, 16 seasons at high level, give or take.
Messi came good in 2005/6 season and ended in 2023; 17 seasons at a high level give or take. Messi left Europe out of choice to end it on a high, Ronaldo left because no one wanted him.

Can we talk about success with their respective countries?
Messi won u20 wc, Olympic gold, Copa America and the WC while being the player of the tournament in all of them.
Ronaldo won the Euro 2016, while hav8ng an average tournament; he was neither top scorer nor the player of the tournament.

I don't dispute that Ronaldo is an all time great but I have absolutely no doubt that Messi has always been the better footballer even in seasons when the former won the ballond'or.
Well don't get this wrong, this comparison is not meant to be about who is being the best player or who being the most successful over their career, and I am not going to argue against any notion that Messi is the best player ever, as I agree he is.
But this comparison is simply on consistency/longevity at the top/highest level

Dan

Well I do agree their consistency/longevity level are almost the same. Its really hard to nail down who wins the contest there, It really depends on which angle you are looking at. IMO they are both at GOAT level in terms of their consistency/longevity.

Total appearances:

Seasons in top 4 league:

Seasons in top 7 league

Ballon D'or shortlisted:

I mean those selected stats do give us an idea of how long have they been maintaining their peak form at the highest level, and those are indeed very close numbers.

Basically I think in terms of quantity at the very top level Ronaldo does edge abit, whereas in terms of quality at the highest level Messi seems capable of maintaining at highest level abit more.

Historically speaking I am not sure if theres another players who could match those level of consistency/longevity at football highest level. Maybe Puskas and Di Stefano?
What leagues are in the top 4 and top 7?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
My guess is Seria A as nr. 4 and top 7 I guess includes portugal and France. I think top 6 would have done it but I dont know how much these rankings have changed over the 2 last decades with the respect to nr. 7

Marcelinho87

Total appearances:

Seasons in top 4 league:

Seasons in top 7 league

Ballon D'or shortlisted:

Can we add assists to this? Interested.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Traditionally the top 4 leagues are Italy, England, Spain and then followed by Germany.

Top 7 leagues would include France, Portugal and Netherland, based on their prestige in terms of wins/final appearance in European best competitions.

Total CL Titles/Finals

1. Spain 19/30
2. England 15/26
3. Italy 12/29
4. Germany 8/18
5. Netherland 6/8
6. Portugal 4/9
7. France 1/7

Tier 1: Spain, England, Italy (over 21-30 finals)
Tier 2: Germany (over 11-20 finals)
Tier 3: Netherlands, Portugal, France (over 5-10 finals)

In terms of current UEFA coefficient on league rankings:

1. England - 86.928
2. Spain - 73.427
3. Italy - 69.284
4. Germany - 67.267
5. Netherland - 51.300
6. France - 50.581
7. Portugal - 45.316

Tier 1 - England
Tier 2 - Spain, Italy, Germany
Tier 3 - Netherland, France, Portugal

Based on above, I think we can either group them into either top 4 and top 7 league respectively, as they are more comparable this way.

Last edited:

Gehrman

So is Ronnie going back to Europe or what? I think he says he wants to leave Saudi Arabia and twitter seems all about him coming back to Europe. But maybe thats just twitter and nothing else.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
So is Ronnie going back to Europe or what? I think he says he wants to leave Saudi Arabia and twitter seems all about him coming back to Europe. But maybe thats just twitter and nothing else.
Has he grown younger while in South Africa, or what else has changed?

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
Regardless of this irrelevant drama queen "influencer" a shoutout to Leão, he stopped his car when he recognised Speed and went to talk to him, then when Ronaldo's car was passing by he asked it to stop and asked Ronaldo to come out and meet him. Really nice guy.

Grande

There are rumours that Twitter will register in League 1 nex season, but will be fast tracked into the Premier League for the 2024/25 season. Ronaldo will of course be nailed on for a glorious injury time sub slot.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I didn't even know who this guy was! But it turns out he is famous in some circles. For us older fans, the whole thing is weird...
Call me old fashioned but people used to get famous for actually doing something and not just existing as an annoying twat on the internet. But maybe I'm just a 36 year old boomer.

frostbite

Call me old fashioned but people used to get famous for actually doing something and not just existing as an annoying twat on the internet. But maybe I'm just a 36 year old boomer.
If you think about it, it was always like that. Unfortunately. Previously, it was the TV, now it is tiktok or whatever social network. For example, one of the most famous people in the 1990s was Pamela Anderson...

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
If you think about it, it was always like that. Unfortunately. Previously, it was the TV, now it is tiktok or whatever social network. For example, one of the most famous people in the 1990s was Pamela Anderson...
Yeah but she has big boobs, which is better than being a massive tit.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
At least she was a lifeguard. Keeping people safe and giving back to the community.

Precaution

You remind me of another dude on an old forum called CmGamer, same age n everything

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I hate the fact that that I keep seeing that Speed guy just because I follow the sport of football. What does he do even? Does it even have anything to do with football?

He's what I imagine most of these Messi and Ronaldo fanboys are like in the real world. Loud, obnoxious, have zero knowledge of the game of football and can't play it for shit. Yes I've seen some clips of him kicking the ball around, unfortunately.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
I hate the fact that that I keep seeing that Speed guy just because I follow the sport of football. What does he do even? Does it even have anything to do with football?

He's what I imagine most of these Messi and Ronaldo fanboys are like in the real world. Loud, obnoxious, have zero knowledge of the game of football and can't play it for shit. Yes I've seen some clips of him kicking the ball around, unfortunately.
He is what the average manchild in Twitter, who join all Messi vs Ronaldo debates(even the ones with less than 50 replies), would look like if they were famous and went outside.

Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
His association with football is due to his association with football. Like those people who go on Celebrity Big Brother, and their big claim to fame is previously being on the normal Big Brother.

NewDawnFades

Speed is just a kid I think he graduated high school last month, clearly has some sort of hyperactivity/adhd or something and has somehow made millions off streaming himself screaming and crying and barking like a dog manically.

The faux obsession with Ronaldo was a central part of his persona and this… meeting will probably trigger a long overdue shift into slightly less childish content. Given KSI’s trajectory was similar, I am interested to see what the little freak will be doing in ten years time.

Henandez14

Supports
World peace
Regardless of this irrelevant drama queen "influencer" a shoutout to Leão, he stopped his car when he recognised Speed and went to talk to him, then when Ronaldo's car was passing by he asked it to stop and asked Ronaldo to come out and meet him. Really nice guy.
Yeah Leăo is just a happy kid that just wants to play football

Gehrman

There are 2 other things that stand out:

1. Not celebrating a 5 nil win if he did not score.

2. Thanking his teammates only for the camera.
He was always such a leader. No doubt he was the best in the teams he played in but once his powers waned and returned to man utd its clear that he was never a team player or had the maturity he talked about in interviews. It was always about him. A greater player than Keane or Cantona ever were but hardly someone who would nurture the younglings.