Cristiano Ronaldo (I stay)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ufb

What a fun thread. I'd say Obama is the most famous person followed by DJT and Putin.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Anyway, back on topic (sort of).

The idea that Ronaldo deserves better (it's understandable that he wants away), etc. Basically - he deserves CL football at this stage of his career, he shouldn't have to waste a full season playing for a non-CL team.

Okay - fine, yes.

But there is no indication whatsoever that he informed the club that he wanted out before...yes, when? He apparently had a talk with ETH which was "generally positive" at some point before pre-season.

ETH is on record saying that he had talked to Ronaldo and that he (ETH) was looking forward to working with him.

ETH was not hired (and certainly did not talk to Ronaldo) until after it became clear that United would not play in the CL this season.

So - why did this paragon of professionalism and elite mentality not announce straight away that he would be wanting a move?

My guess is this: Mendes has been on the case for months, trying to secure a deal. But Ronaldo didn't want to come out and say it (not privately either) because he didn't want to burn any bridges/piss off United prematurely. But then, as time marched on and it became increasingly clear that he wasn't that attractive (to any club he fancied), he became more desperate.

All of which is understandable - from his perspective. That is - from his personal, purely selfish perspective. But it's really hard to paint it in a positive light if you want to insist that he's either a) a stand-up guy or b) a "United legend" or c) a super professional guy whose individual goals are aligned with those of the team he happens to play for.

It would obviously have been better for United if he had made it clear from day one (that is, when it became clear that we would not play in the CL this season - i.e. months ago) that he would be pushing for a transfer.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Football is more popular than any movie and Ronaldo and Messi are pretty much the face of it.
Yeah for sure the sport of Football is more popular than any singular film.

But is Football more popular than Film?

Ronaldo and Messi have been the face of it for a good 14/15 years too no doubt about it.

It's just that Cruise has been famous before either was born.

Theres is some sort visual advert (posters, banners, ads etc) featuring Ronaldo in every corner of the world.
Im fairly sure they advertise movies too?

steffyr2

Could we have a poll?

Yes or no, Utd players will continue to throw games till Ronaldo leaves.

Yes or no, player power is fine when you’re trying to get rid of your teammate.

That is what people are saying, right?

OverratedOpinion

I think in 10/15 years more people will have watched it than the champions league final (it's not as accessible in the moment but it becomes more so over time.)

People are still watching Tom Cruise movies from 40 years ago today.

They are constantly shown on Cable tv here (and in many other countries), on every streaming platform etc

How many people are going to sit down and watch any of those finals in 40 years?

Also does that mean that Modric/ Kross are more famous than Cruise because they probably had more of the ball than Ronaldo in those games?
I am talking about practically knowing who someone is and how many fans they have right now. I think longevity has less of an effect on that than you think. The internet age has made famous people known to far more people and Ronaldo has been famous pretty much since the internet became capable of doing so.

To answer your bottom question no and I do not believe Scotty Pippin is as famous as Michael Jordan either. Sports teams often have one star that stands out more than others and as such becomes much better known.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
But is Football more popular than Film?
Surely not.

However, as others have suggested, it is possible that a footballer could be more well known than an (any) actor currently active within a certain demographic (a certain age group who use social media, say).

Across all demographics, though (and that would - of course - include demographic categories that are very hard to measure), I doubt it very much.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I personally don't buy the Joel Glazer story, because if ETH and co were so up for selling him in the first place, they would have had a plan to replace him ready to go. It's clear they thought they could count on him this season and doubled down on Frenkie.

He's an egomaniac and genuinely couldn't give a shit about anything but himself and his legacy, Him and Mendes are clearly orchestrating a way out where they get to keep the most money and lower the cost for anyone wanting him, because he's far too expensive for any club that would even consider him.

It's partially our own fault for just giving up on last season and let Rangnick coast to failure, because we knew he would not be happy not playing CL football and has form for forcing his way out of a club.

Personally can't wait for him to leave and has really tainted any sort of positive view I had of him.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I am talking about practically knowing who someone is and how many fans they have right now. I think longevity has less of an effect on that than you think. The internet age has made famous people known to far more people and Ronaldo has been famous pretty much since the internet became capable of doing so.
That's all I'm talking about too and I don't think Cruise has "Fans" in the same way Ronaldo does (although he does have a bunch of cultists who worship him).

I don't think Longevity alone makes you more relevant (I don't think DeNiro is more famous than Ronaldo) but Longevity along with having enormously popular movies every decade (that are repeated daily globally in every language) for nearly 40 years tips it in Cruises favor for me.

Oldyella

No. He is more famous among younger generations but that's about it. Wrestling isn't popular in most places and people over 40 are still alive.
And people over 40 don't suddenly disconnect from social media or stop learning who famous people are.

OverratedOpinion

That's all I'm talking about too and I don't think Cruise has "Fans" in the same way Ronaldo does (although he does have a bunch of cultists who worship him).

I don't think Longevity alone makes you more relevant (I don't think DeNiro is more famous than Ronaldo) but Longevity along with having enormously popular movies every decade (that are repeated daily globally in every language) for nearly 40 years tips it in Cruises favor for me.
I would personally say Tom Cruise has been on the lower rung of "mega celebrities" (still very well known) since at least 2005 and that you could pretty much always name a solid handful of people who were a bigger name than him. I believe Dwayne Johnson has been more famous than him for at least 5 - 10 years personally.

gaffs

He deserves nothing. He's an average player quickly getting worse who is on a half a million a month of a contact he signed less than a year ago. Doesn't turn up to work and when he does he undermines the project. He's a piece of shit, I don't care how good he was 5 years ago.
Average player? He was our player of the year last year and a ballon d'or nominee.

OverratedOpinion

Who made that point though?
Tbf you ending your post with "and people over 40 are still alive" indicates that you think they are going to stick to the movie stars they knew 20 years ago and not also begin to like Dwayne Johnson.

I think that also misses the fact that Dwayne Johnson's first successful movie was in 2002 but that is another point.

gaffs

I'm assuming it would be my mutual content given that he wants to leave?
I just don't see where the value is in that, for either party.

At this point, no club seems to want him. Not on his half mil a week salary, anyway. If a club wanted him, they would have put in a bid with United for a nominal fee.

If the contact is terminated, he is left looking a fool and goes unpaid if no one wants him.

Feels like he is going to have to accept a massive pay cut if he wants out.

United are in a tough spot. If he is sold/let go and we continue to struggle, especially in the scoring department, there will be so much criticism for the decision.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I don't trust this at all.

I feel these stories are being put out there by the agents of other players to shift the blame in the direction of Ronaldo.

Question is, if / when he leaves, and we are still losing, who gets blamed next?
Most likely it’s because it’s true

clarkydaz

I feel these stories are being put out there by the agents of other players to shift the blame in the direction of Ronaldo.

Question is, if / when he leaves, and we are still losing, who gets blamed next?
manager, then the fans overwhelming negativity

RedDevil@84

So he is shouting like a mad man in the grounds and dressing room.
Maguire and Shaw and Rashford want to do their training and become awesome in coming games, but Ronaldo's relentless madness and shouting is stopping them from becoming awesome.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Tbf you ending your post with "and people over 40 are still alive" indicates that you think they are going to stick to the movie stars they knew 20 years ago and not also begin to like Dwayne Johnson.

I think that also misses the fact that Dwayne Johnson's first successful movie was in 2002 but that is another point.
No it indicates that he is famous across more generations since his fame started earlier and he is still famous. You are talking about the star of the biggest movie of 2022, not 2005.

OverratedOpinion

No it indicates that he is famous across more generations since his fame started earlier and he is still famous. You are talking about the star of the biggest movie of 2022, not 2005.
Yes but those same people who like him from his movies in 1990 or whatever didn't get stuck in a freezer and stop watching other movies and becoming aware of new stars?

I am pretty sure that Dwayne Johnson has been the highest grossing movie star for the last 10 years or something absurd.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

"On his way out of the dressing room for the last time, Ronaldo reportedly let out a massive fart that to this day is still dampening the team's mood."

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yes but those same people who like him from his movies in 1990 or whatever didn't get stuck in a freezer and stop watching other movies and becoming aware of new stars?
Maybe but it's unlikely that 100% of them are aware of the more recent stars. If it was the case there would be no discussion to have everyone would be equally famous. Now the issue is that you are trying to argue that the man that is currently the star of the biggest movie of the year, a movie that is likely to be in the top 10 all times in terms of revenue and who has been arguably the biggest Hollywood star over the past 40 years isn't more famous than Dwayne Johnson, you realize how dubious that claim is?

Sara125

Not be a stop gap solution that turns 36 in january and blocks a longterm signing in the upcoming winter/summer windows. Please, no more short term bandaids. Let's just let Ronnie go and leave that spot open for the long term prospect.
I don’t know why but I genuinely didn’t know Vardy was that old. Thought he was like 30/31

OverratedOpinion

Maybe but it's unlikely that 100% of them are aware of the more recent stars. If it was the case there would be no discussion to have everyone would be equally famous. Now the issue is that you are trying to argue that the man that is currently the star of the biggest movie of the year, a movie that is likely to be in the top 10 all times in terms of revenue and who has been arguably the biggest Hollywood star over the past 40 years isn't more famous than Dwayne Johnson, you realize how dubious that claim is?
Who do you imagine has grossed more at the box office over the last 15 years? Dwayne Johnson or Tom Cruise?

worldinmotion66

Sure...it's ronaldo's fault that the majority of our players have had no work ethic since before he rejoined the club...

Forget about the disrespect he's shown, tactically he clearly doesn't fit into what we want to do. Get rid. But don't try to blame him for the squads deficiencies. That's on them as individuals and the clowns that have assembled this spineless squad.

Withnail

On the Ronaldo thing am I wrong in thinking that before he arrived, even though we were inconsistent, the team spirit was generally good and the players fought for each other? It seems we've seen precious little of that since he's come in.

Sara125

Ludicrous based on what metric?

Most followers on both Instagram and Facebook globally that have drastically different age and location demographics, ranks highly on all other socials, one of the most commonly searched people on google.

As much as people want to downplay the Internet and social media it is a really solid metric on how famous someone is.

He has a following of 476 million on one platform. That is more than Obama and Trump had combined on their main platform before Trump got banned, you could even throw in Elon Musk for good measure. People won't like me saying this but you could also throw in the Man Utd twitter numbers with those 3 and not touch 476 million.
Followers is irrelevant. Michael Jackson died before IG even came out and he could EASILY go neck to neck with anyone in the ‘most famous person in the world’ conversation.

OverratedOpinion

My guess would be Dwayne Johnson, he has been in a lot of bad movies.
Yet he is so famous that they literally print money.

Anyway I am leaving my desk as I have just finished work.

Shall we agree to disagree?

1. I feel I have derailed the thread.
2. We really have gotten into the weeds debating which Hollywood A Lister is more famous.

I will just end it in saying I think you and others underestimate how important the internet (and having your prime during the internet age) is in making you known worldwide but it is honestly a totally unimportant point that I am astounded I have spent so much time talking about this afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.