Criteria Draft Round 1 - Aldo vs FromTheBench/Theon

Who will win the match based on all players playing at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
ALDO's TEAM

The team is built on a strong defensive spine with two fine PL fullbacks to support the core with a bit of magical genius in the middle pulling strings and a lethal goal scoring duo up front with a peach of a right peg occupying the right flank.

To start with the defense, Desailly and Stam form a watertight defense with both being all round defenders capable of stopping almost all kinds of attacks. In the two of them they possess ample strength, pace, tight markers as well as intelligent readers of the game and neither were a dud with the ball at their feet. With the help of the two fullbacks in Neville and Harte we'll sit deep and tight and remove any danger before it becomes one. There will always be a man committing into a challenge as soon as the ball is brought anywhere near the box and can be trusted to win it.

They will be shielded by a powerful midfield duo in Simeone and Mascherano. The Argentine partnership should add plenty of steel and tenacity in midfield avoiding any change of being dominated by the opposition. Mascherano has usually displayed quality performances as a DM as we saw in the WC while Simeone has the job of being more adventerous on the ball and play as box to box midfielder, breaking forward often with the assurance from his partner and the strong defense behind him.

In front of them is the Romanian genius in Hagi who is the number 10 in the team, pulling strings and bringing it all together. He's got the freedom and platform provided from the CMs to run rings around the opposition using his magnificent control of the ball, passing, vision and creativity to create chance after chance. Being at the heart of the team should allow him to dictate proceedings as he sees fit.

Out wide there is Mario Basler, the fine German winger who adds variety in attack. Best compared to Beckham, it should tell you about what he brings to the game, excellent technique, deadly free kicks and a mean right foot. There were a few flashy names I skipped for this man and the reason is clear. Neville's partnership with Beckham was outstanding over the years and I hope to recreate some of it with a very similar player in there. With him occupying the fullback and stretching the defense, it gives Neville space and license to overlap much as he did without putting the complete burden of providing width.

The support striker's role is Rivaldo's, the mercurial Brazilian talent who dazzled the crowds in La Liga, Europe and 2 World Cups, particularly the 2002 one where he was fantastic. He has a free role playing off the striker and wrecking havoc in the opposition defense. Equally at ease with both creating or scoring himself, his hat trick against Valencia on the last day of the season is one of the greatest individual performances of modern times. Capable of the spectacular as well. With basler occupying the flank on the other side, there will not be any congestion in the middle and that will allow him enough space to impact the game.

Lastly the striker is our very own Van Persie. Clinical as they come and technically up there to fit in this attacking setup seamlessly. With the creativity, supply from out wide and Rivaldo creating chaos behind him, they should combine well enough to trouble the opposition CBs. And no half chances would be missed with world class goal scorers, not one but two. And let's not forget Basler's impressive goal scoring record from out wide if needed, or Hagi himself burying one in. None of the players are shy of taking the responsibility and a goal can come from anywhere, though most likely sources are surely the deadly duo up front.

In terms of passing, we are going to play direct and not waste much time in the build ups. Once we get the ball back we will get it forward quickly and look to create swift one touch build ups without giving the opposition any time to get back into their shape. All players are provided sufficient creative freedom to go for some incisive through balls and risky passes as and when the game requires.

RoadTrip

FROMTHEBENCH/THEON's Team

FORMATION

A classic 3-5-2 system - based on Francesco Totti’s outstanding 2000/01 Roma side.

The system is set up perfectly for Romario – the standout player on the pitch – who will play off the last defender whilst Cantona / Totti provide an abundance of support and creativity in behind.

SUMMARY

Romario is the best finisher in the entire draft and with the creativity of Cantona and the incredible passing of Totti – Romario will get chances.

There is too much creativity in the side for Romario not to have opportunities – and he is too good a finisher for him not to score some of them.

TACTICS

ATTACK - Perfect front three of Totti/Cantona/Romario

One of the best players of his generation Totti replicates his Roma #10 in a 3-5-2, in which he roamed across the pitch using his incredible passing ability to assist Batistuta from deep. Totti’s exceptional vision and technique which saw him voted Player of the Year is perfect behind a devastating finisher like Romario.

Additional creativity is provided by Eric Cantona in the second striker role he excelled at for Manchester United. The enigmatic Frenchman brings a goal threat, decisive passing, and a penchant for the inspirational.

The best player on the pitch - Romario replicates his classic #9 role in which his exceptional movement, pace, dribbling and finishing poses an impossible problem for defenders. Playing on the shoulder of the last man with an abundance of creativity in behind – Romario WILL get chances.

MIDFIELD – A complimentary pairing

“Claude has this kind of gift – he's been the best player in the team for years but people just don't notice him, don't notice what he does. But you ask anyone at Real Madrid during the years we were talking about and they will tell you he was the best player at Real. The loss of Makélelé was the beginning of the end for Los Galacticos” – Fernando Hierro

“Why put another layer of gold paint on the Bentley when you are losing the entire engine?” – Zinedine Zidane

Unrivalled defensively as a midfielder, Makelele will sit deep and allow Gerrard to play box to box. In terms of screening the defence and breaking up opposition attacks Makelele is the best in the entire draft. A terrific athelete and a excellent reader of the game, he held the Galacticos together and provided the base for the attackers to play off.

“If you were looking for the player you would replace Roy Keane with, it would be Gerrard. He has become the most influential player in England, bar none. More than Vieira. To me, Gerrard is Keane. Everywhere the ball is, he seems to be there.” – Alex Ferguson

He is the example of what all midfield players aspire to. He is everywhere you look - in defence, in the middle of the pitch and in attack. I would love to be close to that level. – Daniele De Rossi

Unsurprisingly underrated on a United forum, at his peak as a box to box midfielder Gerrard was unrivalled. Passing, tackling, pressing, shooting from deep and consistently leading by example, Gerrard dominated midfields in a way reminiscent of Keane or Vieira.

Five time winner of the Footballer of the Year and voted third in the 2005 Ballon d’Or, Gerrard was truly devastating at his peak. With Makelele holding position and three central defenders in behind, Gerrard has the tactical freedom to push high up the pitch.

WINGBACKS - Stretching the play

One of the best fullbacks of his generation, Sagnol was equally solid defensively and offensively. A wonderful crosser of the ball with a great engine, Sagnol will push forward and stretch the play out wide - creating space and openings for Totti, Cantona and Romario to work their magic.

On the left Filipe Luis offers the same offensive impact - consistently bombing forward and stretching the pitch for Atletico. The best left back in the world over the past season, Luis will burst into down the flank and offer passing options for the abundance of wonderful passers in this team - from Blanc, to Gerrard, to Totti, to Cantona.

DEFENCE – Suited to the system

As one of the greatest ball playing defenders of all time, Laurent Blanc is perfect playing in a familiar libero role at the heart of a back three. One of the era’s great defenders – Blanc brings organisation, positional astuteness and leadership to the back, along with his trademark distribution.

Flanking Blanc are two defenders well suited to the role - Christian Panucci and Walter Samuel. The latter replicates the exact role he played at Roma, where Samuel played on the left of a back three next to Aldair. Aggressive in the tackle and good in the air, Samuel was a rock solid defender.

One of just 15 players in the Roma Hall of Fame, Panucci was a rare cross between a RB and CB, playing both roles for Roma, Real Madrid and the Italian National Team. Excellent defensively, capable of carrying the ball into midfield and comfortable pressing out wide –Panucci is well suited to this system, playing in this exact role for Roma.

Goalkeeper - A position not to be overlooked, is occupied by Jose Luis Chilavert. One of the top keepers in the world for a decade atleast. He offers a commanding presence in the box which put attackers off, along with very good shot stopping abilities and also ability to play from the back in this system. As a added bonus he is a set piece taker when required and pretty good at freekicks and penalties.

Last edited:

RoadTrip

Can you see it now buddy? I've edited it into the top of the 2nd post. I think my work laptop bans it, hence i can't. but as long as you guys can thats alright.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Can you turn Aldo's formation?

VivaJanuzaj

I'm feeling like Aldo's midfield was born to face this opponents. The only problem I had with Aldo's team prior to this match is that it was lacking creativity from deep, but against a team with both Totti and Cantona, with Gerrard coming from deep, you might be interested in two defensive minded midfielders.
I really like Theon/FtB team so I'll wait a little longer before voting to hear their words

RoadTrip

Early thoughts are Cantona-Romario-Totti looks brilliant, but Aldo has two defensive midfielders. Interesting.

Not sure I'm liking the Makalele and Gerrard combo though.

With Aldo's team I'm really not sure who will be the one to dictate play. Or, moreover, effectively link def and attack. Mascherano and Simeone won't be making great through balls which makes things complicated.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Harte looks like an imposter in this company. Yet miraculously this game suits him. His lack of pace won't be exposed, while he'll get plenty of opportunity to build up play and unleash his left peg into the attacking mix.

Like the balance in FTB/Theon's back three, very tasty. However, if I'm looking for this game to be separated it's likely to come through Rivaldo's match-winning abilities up against Sagnol/Panucci - both fine players but neither offering quite as much resistance as Desailly is to Romario for instance.

Mani

Two brilliantly set teams,defensive duo of Stam & Desailly is :drool:.
Can they stop Romario from scoring?

Thisistheone

Romario being fed by Cantona and Totti is :drool:

Blanc is a brilliant player to have there as well. Very under-rated imo. Probably because of his Utd stint but in his prime he was immaculate.

Aldo's team looks hard as nails with that centre back pairing being covered by Mascherano and Simeone. Very tough.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I don't think Ian Harte will get through this game unscathed just because he isn't facing a winger - he's still the weakest player out there and there is enough movement in that front three to cause him trouble. Totti in particular would glide around and pop up anywhere as a #10.

Just on Totti this is a pretty good account of that Roma side and Totti's role at the heart of this system. We associate him with playing further forward now, but back then he was a classic #10 - a wonderful technician and without a doubt one of the greatest passers of the last twenty years - playing it quick and short, raking long diagonals and constantly pulling off these beautiful little flicks.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/02/09/teams-of-the-decade-10-roma-2000-01/

In one sense, there was no secret why Roma suddenly became title challengers – spending £50m on a new spine for the team – Samuel, Emerson and Batistuta – is always going to improve your side considerably. But, although these three had wonderful seasons, the real reason Roma became title winners was because others stepped up and became truly top-class players. Vincent Candela went from being an average left-back to a rampaging wing-back, Damiano Tomassi and Cristiano Zanetti had the seasons of their careers, and Francesco Totti became truly world-class.

Totti played inbetween the lines – with two strikers upfront, the opposition could only mark him with a holding midfielder, which then created room for Tomassi or Zanetti. It did leave the opposition full-backs free, but they were effectively playing against two full-backs playing high up the pitch (Cafu and Candela) who were both defensively very aware. The three-man defence worked because if one wing-back got bypassed on the flank, the centre-back closest to him was comfortable covering in a wide area, and the wing-back on the opposite side would tuck in, to make a back four. So if Candela got beaten on the overlap, Samuel would come to meet the winger, Aldair/Zago and Zebina would cover in the centre, and Cafu would defend the back post.

It was a rare appearance of a back three in a successful club side, and the key was that the three were all suited to their roles. Samuel was left-footed and therefore happy to play on the left-side of a three; he and Zebina were the physical man-markers, whilst either Brazilian, Zago or Aldair, was the spare man and the one who distributed the ball forward.

The final word must go to Totti – at 24, the captain of his hometown club, and the best player in their first title campaign since 1983. He had the most wonderful season imaginable for a player in his position, and contributed so well both in terms of goals and assists. He has a reputation as being overrated in Britain, and at 33 that’s unlikely to change, but he is a truly remarkable footballer – and quite possibly the most consistently brilliant attacking player throughout the decade. This might not even have been his best season, but it will probably prove to be his only league title.

FromTheBench

I'm feeling like Aldo's midfield was born to face this opponents. The only problem I had with Aldo's team prior to this match is that it was lacking creativity from deep, but against a team with both Totti and Cantona, with Gerrard coming from deep, you might be interested in two defensive minded midfielders.
I really like Theon/FtB team so I'll wait a little longer before voting to hear their words
To be fair That midfield 2 front of those 2 CB's would be out to stifle all teams and do a good job as well.

I am confident though that Makelele, Gerrard, Totti and Cantona drifting with Blanc playing the sweeper and spreading play together against that team will retain the control of the match and have enough creativity. So it becomes basically a case of our team trying to get past that midfield while Aldo's team plays on the counter. In that scenario i actually don't think Aldo's team has players suited to actually playing on the counter that much. There's no elite ball carrier and there's no distributor from the back or deep midfield to set off counters. Hagi/Rivaldo would have to drop deeper than what they were most comfortable in.

Also in our team a back 3 who were all very good readers of the game, 2 defensively very solid Wing backs and Makelele who was probably the best ever at reading games and killing counters (Played with Bunch of attacking players in the Galactico team and at times Zidane in a midfield 2 making interception after interception) and Gerrard pressing in front won't make it easy to create chances for Team Aldo and as good as Van Persie has been for a smaller peak if a half chance is to fall to him you won't back him at this level given the context as much as you would with Romario who is a top 5 all timer.

Edit - Hart is the obvious weak link to be exploited as well whether it be by Sagnol pushing forward when in possession beyond him at times or Cantona/Totti and even Gerrard drifting into that area at times.

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
Close game and great team, Fromthebench and Theon, really like the look of it.

I would just like to echo that given almost all of the attack is going to come centrally, I believe I am set up well in this game with a strong enough core that can battle their way till 90 minutes and keep the danger to a minimum. I think it suits me siting tight and deep and removing any space to play a pass through or get close to the goal. Cantona and Totti are two class players and they will have their moments surely but hopefully it will be dealt with stern resistance for most of the game.

I would like to emphasize on the role of Hagi here. He's often shunted out wide and it's not to say he's not versatile enough to not play well out wide but in this role he's going to be in his element exerting his dominance through the middle of the park. He was often likened to Maradona throughout the 90s and without suggesting he's every bit as good as the great man, his playing style and influence on the game had a good amount of resemblance. A master of the one touch, short passes, those delicate flicks and lobs that could take out a couple of players in an instant and open up spaces, and to add that a combative dribbler who could shake off strong challenges when on a forward run, hence opening up spaces. That's his job throughout the game, to get the ball from the sturdy cast behind him and take the initiative. Extremely tough to knock off the ball and a fine long range shot in him to boot. Even after he lost pace into his 30s, he would still be slipping past defenders thanks to quality close control and the intelligent thinker he was, never wasting a touch. Makelele was a fine player at what he did but I believe he would struggle against the explosiveness and unpredictability Hagi brings to the game.

Also as pointed out by Gio, Rivaldo should have a good impact on the game specially being fed by Hagi who is constantly attracting defenders and the respect defenders had to show him, he would have a good amount of space open up the close tie this should be given both teams. In Van Persie Rivaldo has a technically gifted partner who would not just bury the chances he creates but also be useful in give and gos and dragging defenders around. I think it is a setup that should bring the best out of the two. Hagi with the touch of genius or magic as you might wanna call it and Rivaldo the match winner extraordinaire.

Also, Basler would be a key component in stretching the defense, specially since it is a 5 at the back. Felipe Luis had a great season but he's against a tough opponent here, as Basler's accuracy with passing and crossing means he can't be given any space to pick out his opponents at any range. With Neville overlapping, one of the CMs or the lateral CB would need to come across to cover hence opening up pockets for the likes of Rivaldo and Hagi to pick and let go of a screamer.

I think this would be an entertaining game as both teams have players who can be proper showmen on their days and put on a spectacle, but with a tighter central core and a bit more flair and competence in attack, I hope to cope up top on a well contested match up.

Moby

Dick
Not a bad player to have in a tight game, I must say. :)

A World Cup classic, with Hagi putting on a show against a midfield with none other than Fernando Redondo in it, sending them packing!

Moby

Dick
Romario being fed by Cantona and Totti is :drool:

Blanc is a brilliant player to have there as well. Very under-rated imo. Probably because of his Utd stint but in his prime he was immaculate.

Aldo's team looks hard as nails with that centre back pairing being covered by Mascherano and Simeone. Very tough.
I'll reluctantly bring up a point as I don't want people think I am trying to undermine the opponent.

Both Totti and Cantona were fantastic players but if there's one thing you need to be careful about when playing Totti is making sure he's the main man in the team. When you used him in the sheep draft, it was really perfect as he was quite clearly the heart of the team built around him and the rest of the cast being happy in letting him run the show. However I am not sure King Eric would be happy in playing second fiddle here, which could hinder the performance. Add to that there's Gerrard who was a loose cannon at his peak often bombing forward and occupying the same area as the previous two. To avoid all this becoming a clusterfeck, you need players happy to sacrifice the ball and not always try to go for the winner.

In Gerrard, Totti and Cantona, there are three players who spent their careers playing in average/good teams relative to others and elevating them through their individual genius and class, they don't strike me as a combo that would fit in perfectly together in a star studded team and that could be a factor in a close game such as this.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
I am not sure about pairing Hagi and Basler. Arent they adding similar things while having similar weaknesses?
The defence of both teams looks good, but a back 3/5 against one mobile forward is a disadvantage.

Kazi

Just the aura of FTB/Theon's front three is :drool: - if they don't clash, they'd produce magic

Moby

Dick
I am not sure about pairing Hagi and Basler. Arent they adding similar things while having similar weaknesses?
The defence of both teams looks good, but a back 3/5 against one mobile forward is a disadvantage.
As I explained in the OP, Basler's importance lies in striking an effective partnership with Neville much like Beckham did.

Moby

Dick
Lastly, I think I am vastly superior when it comes to set pieces. Few of the best exponents of the dead ball in this draft would be standing for a free kick and it is certainly a factor to consider.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I think this will be a very boring game. Aldo is very defensive with little to no width and FTB/T don't have the tactic to break it open. The Roma team it's emulating was hardly a free scoring team nor defensively sound. It's built pretty well to emulate it. Better in midfield, slightly better attack, defense and goalkeeping with worse full backs and subsequently worse players to proved the width for the team.

Who are on the bench?

VivaJanuzaj

I think this will be a very boring game. Aldo is very defensive with little to no width and FTB/T don't have the tactic to break it open. The Roma team it's emulating was hardly a free scoring team nor defensively sound. It's built pretty well to emulate it. Better in midfield, slightly better attack, defense and goalkeeping with worse full backs and subsequently worse players to proved the width for the team.

Who are on the bench?
This.
I almost didn't vote thinking it will end 0-0, but got convinced against it because I think that FtB/Theon's trio might get something from nowhere and can steal the little 1-0 although their not likely to score against that setup, while Aldo isn't likely to score at all.
Almost a draw for me

NoPace

Did not expect to vote for a team with Harte in it, but I think Aldo is well set up to deal with Theon's central attackers.

Neville and Harte lack pace, but they can hit a long ball and should have time to do it whenever their team has the ball. With the 3 at the back against just RVP, it's 9 on 7 elsewhere, and RVP is clever enough in his movement to get in behind once or twice (along with 4 or 5 offsides, natch). Mascherano and Simeone aren't brilliant creatively, but they'll get the ball to Hagi for through balls and Rivaldo and Basler for crosses.

Rivaldo vs Panucci looks like trouble to me, as does a team requiring congested combination play with Gerrard involved. Gerrard could cause Harte trouble when he moves right, though. Samuel and Blanc against a countering team might have some pace issues.

I'd have voted for a draw if I could, but since that's not an option, I'll go 2-1 for Aldo, with Cantona/Totti/Romario clicking for one beautiful goal, Rivaldo with an individual goal or assist with his favourable matchup and a counter attack goal to win it after that same first trio and/or Gerrard lose the ball during a high-risk move and Basler or Hagi get the ball to RVP or Rivaldo via running (Basler) or a clever pass (Hagi).

BorisDeLeFora

I don't see Cantona or Totti getting a whole lot of space with Simeone and Masch around, and with Cantona dropping deeper and being marked it means that Desailly/Stam a lot of the time will have one tight and one free on the cover vs. Romario. I think Rivaldo and Hagi would get a lot of space against Makelele and Gerrard, particularly as Gerrard is in a box to box role, he would get caught out of position a lot.

From the other side I think Sagnol has the freedom of the right flank up to a certain point, but would his delivery from deeper positions be pin point enough to pick out Romario in between Stam and Desailly? Obviously Totti/Cantona/Romario and even Gerrard are capable of coming up with something out of nothing, and in that sense contain more match winners, plus they would probably see more of the ball than the likes of Hagi or Rivaldo.

Hmm...

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Totti in particular will get lots of space - in this system he moves everywhere and he'll drop deeper than Cantona here.

Those two aren't playing in lines, it's a staggered front three with Totti deep behind two forwards. So I can't see Simeone and Mascherano keeping tabs on both at the same time.

Most probably it would be Cantona marked and finding it harder to create space, as he's closer to goal so more of an urgent threat. I could see Mascherano in particular ruthlessly trying to mark Cantona out of the game.

Even though I rate both of those DM's - in particular Mascherano - I rate Cantona comfortably higher and there is no way he'll be taken out of the game just because the space is constricted for him. Players like Cantona thrive in those spaces, it's what makes him so good. He'll drop a shoulder, ride a challenge or just flick a pass to relieve pressure from those DM's.

Cantona has it tough though, no question - Aldo has really constructed a bit of a brick wall in front of his goal. He does have the creativity and ability to find a way through though - I'm certain about that and we've all seen it before from Cantona.

But yeah, to get back to my point - I can't see the space being restricted for both Totti and Cantona at the same time. No way. They're a couple of good defensive midfielders but it's not The Bastille we're trying to breach here.

RoadTrip

My issue is I prefer Aldo's attack. I really rate Hagi more than most, and him and Rivaldo will create chances for RVP.

HOWEVER, I think FTB has a fantastic defence. But I wonder if Panucci and Sagnol can really stop a free roaming Rivaldo, not to mention Hagi.

That said, Makalele is perfect there, but my concern is if Gerrard goes forward it leaves Makalele as the main man to disrupt play and Hagi and Rivaldo together are good enough to find space.

Blanc wasn't quick, but he was freaking solid, and he could do a job on RVP who doesn't really expose Blanc at all.

My issue for Aldo's team is that because FTB has 3 at the back, he has strength in numbers as well as quality to stop Aldo.

Overall a very solid defensive side for both, yet both have magical attackers.

Despite Aldo being outnumbered when he goes forward, I don't see FTB getting much space given Simeone and Mascherano. Will totti excel with both there? I'm not sure.

Not to mention Stam and Desailly more than make up the fact Aldo only has four at the back.

I really feel like both sides cancel each other out in attack, and it comes down to who will produce that moment of magic. Gerrard could be key as he bombs forward late, but then Aldo has Basler, the one player on the pitch who can really stretch the game. And Basler could really link with RVP.

On balance, sorry FTB, but I've gone with Aldo. Just think Hagi and Rivaldo is top class, really really top class, and with Basler they have just that little bit more room to operate especially of the wing backs are bombing forward and Gerrard is caught up the field.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I'm surprised you prefer his attack mate

Totti and Cantona feeding Romario > Hagi and Rivaldo feeding Van Persie.

Romario is the best player on the pitch and he's being supplied by two of the most creative forwards in the draft. It's a wonderful combination that you can't defend against.

One more quick point - Gerrard and Blanc offer more build up and distribution than anything in Aldo's side. There is a far smoother transition from back to front there IMO.

Blanc's reputation suffers for some United fans due to his stint here when he was 36 years old, but at his peak he was fantastic. Only Sammer would be better than Blanc here.

RoadTrip

Romario is the best player on the pitch and he's being supplied by two of the most creative forwards in the draft. It's a wonderful combination that you can't defend against.

One more quick point - Gerrard and Blanc offer more build up and distribution than anything in Aldo's side. There is a far smoother transition from back to front there IMO.

Blanc's reputation suffers for some United fans due to his stint here when he was 36 years old, but at his peak he was fantastic. Only Sammer would be better than Blanc here.
Firstly, I don't mean to cause any offence. It is just a personal preference. I actually prefer Hagi to Totti marginally and Cantona is good but not on Rivaldo's level. Romario is obviously better than RVP though.

I just feel Romarios strengths, albeit vastly superior to RVP, are negated better by Desailly and Stam. Also, the game isn't poised to create much space in attack. The chances for Romario to run in behind are going to be few and far between. If there was to be that space, then it would probably be a different decision.

Strangely, despite all the quality on the field, it's actually Basler that tipped it for me just because he offers that something different to anyone else on the pitch.

On the other hand, Totti is fantastic and I probably haven't done him justice. My issue actually lies more with Cantona, who I don't really feel is necessary. Totti is more than capable of dictating play, you don't need that extra man to play there in the mould of Cantona. Just feel if there was just that something else, like someone more inclined to run at players or just stretch it, it'd have been better for you and would allow you to bring more of Romario to the table.

Actually you're unlucky to come up against Aldo because I would say he is one of the few teams that is so solid defensively that would actually make me think you'd need something different. Your strength is playing through the middle, which unfortunately is the exact thing Aldo's team best stops.

That's my two cents really.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
On the other hand, Totti is fantastic and I probably haven't done him justice. My issue actually lies more with Cantona, who I don't really feel is necessary. Totti is more than capable of dictating play, you don't need that extra man to play there in the mould of Cantona. Just feel if there was just that something else, like someone more inclined to run at players or just stretch it, it'd have been better for you and would allow you to bring more of Romario to the table.
Aye, they duplicate one another to some extent and you couldn't ask for a more diligent and gritty pair than Simeone and Mascherano to squeeze their space. A channel-runner who could place some pressure on Harte - who is effectively cruising with the cigar out here - could make the difference. If we're comparing to that lovely Roma team, they had a collectively superior* pair of wing-backs, and Cafu would no doubt feck Harte over. They also had someone like Delvecchio up front who was a typically functional Italian striker who would stretch play and do the necessary graft to create space for his more talented partner, be it Batistuta, Totti, Montella or Vieri. Whereas I'm not quite seeing Cantona do those hard yards to give Romario the inch he needs. For all my spiel, it is a well crafted team that FTB and Theon have built. The defence is delightfully balanced and a Totti-Cantona-Romario trident up against Rpitodra or Edogen's teams would cause no end of havoc. It's mainly the luck of the draw that Aldo's strengths happen to counter FTB's while his weaknesses remain unexposed.

RoadTrip

Aye, they duplicate one another to some extent and you couldn't ask for a more diligent and gritty pair than Simeone and Mascherano to squeeze their space. A channel-runner who could place some pressure on Harte - who is effectively cruising with the cigar out here - could make the difference. If we're comparing to that lovely Roma team, they had a collectively superior* pair of wing-backs, and Cafu would no doubt feck Harte over. They also had someone like Delvecchio up front who was a typically functional Italian striker who would stretch play and do the necessary graft to create space for his more talented partner, be it Batistuta, Totti, Montella or Vieri. Whereas I'm not quite seeing Cantona do those hard yards to give Romario the inch he needs. For all my spiel, it is a well crafted team that FTB and Theon have built. The defence is delightfully balanced and a Totti-Cantona-Romario trident up against Rpitodra or Edogen's teams would cause no end of havoc. It's mainly the luck of the draw that Aldo's strengths happen to counter FTB's while his weaknesses remain unexposed.
Agreed. It's a wonderful team, just this one thing which wouldn't normally be a factor is just highlighted by Aldo's team. I overall probably prefer FTBs team but on this match, it is very hard for me to convert that into a win just because Aldo's team is seemingly perfect to counter it.
Unfortunate matchup, really.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
TBH Aldo, you look somewhat broken and I expect FTB/Theon to be a lot more fluid. I'm not keen on Panucci in that role and Samuel-Luis doesn't quite do it for me, but I expect them to do a decent job of stopping you with Makelele in support.

You have a much stronger core to break down, but I expect you to concede at least one against that lot, particularly because they have a functioning fluid way they are going about things and I quite frankly can't see you doing much more than individual moments of brilliance.

Moby

Dick
Let's not forget Simeone's attacking contribution here, I have clearly stated in the OP that he will operate as a true box to box midfielder as he was, and will break forward when we have the ball. Gerrard was criticized from his positional indiscipline throughout his peak when he operated as a DM which should be an issue here, and I don't see much tracking back by Totti either. With Basler and Neville pushing down the right side in tandem and the midfield breaking forward it provides Hagi with ample options to create an opening, and then there's Rivaldo who would look to pierce through that side with Panucci. Don't think there's any issue in fluidity, no one is going to step on someone else's toe, the whole pitch will be utilized for the attack and all three of Basler, Hagi and Rivaldo were incredibly technically gifted and would string together some lovely moves with a darting Simeone an imminent danger as well.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

True, although I'd hope the average voter in these threads would know enough to look beyond his Utd stint at the arse-end of his career. Hierro (if he's in this) might have an argument to be there or thereabouts with Blanc and Sammer too.

This is a really fascinating match up which I'm barely getting my head around yet. My initial thought was that Totti/Cantona was overkill, but then I was raving about a Rui Costa/Baggio/Shevchenko combination in a recent draft which has somewhat similar dynamics to your forward line. Also, for all the quality on show, Romario is the one forward on the pitch with truly devastating pace, and with his acceleration he didn't need much open ground to exploit it either. At this point, I'm veering towards Theon/FTB, after starting off thinking I'd vote for Aldo...more thought required.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
True, although I'd hope the average voter in these threads would know enough to look beyond his Utd stint at the arse-end of his career. Hierro (if he's in this) might have an argument to be there or thereabouts with Blanc and Sammer too.

This is a really fascinating match up which I'm barely getting my head around yet. My initial thought was that Totti/Cantona was overkill, but then I was raving about a Rui Costa/Baggio/Shevchenko combination in a recent draft which has somewhat similar dynamics to your forward line. Also, for all the quality on show, Romario is the one forward on the pitch with truly devastating pace, and with his acceleration he didn't need much open ground to exploit it either. At this point, I'm veering towards Theon/FTB, after starting off thinking I'd vote for Aldo...more thought required.
He was second to none in tight spaces, and when I say that I mean up there with Maradona but with more explosion. Of course Maradona had other attributes that set him apart, but what Romario could do in a few yards in and just outside the box was sublime. Looking at lineups, I couldn't help but remember how he and Edmundo made Stam look like a donkey in 2000.