Criteria Draft Round 2 [QF]: Stobzilla vs Paceme

Who would win this match should all players be playing at their respective peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
TEAM STOBZILLA

The Wonky Christmas tree, 4-3-2-1 it isn't neat by any standard but it is reflective of how it would look in game.

Added to the midfield for this game is Clarence Seedorf who makes up part of trio including Davids and Juan Sebastien Veron, Davids offers defence for days married to his driving forward runs and good distribution, next to him is another willing box-to-box worker in Veron. A fantastic passer of the ball, also wasn't afraid of getting his foot stuck in, one swing could launch a counter attack and he would look for and find Robben given the opportunity. Seedorf is one of the most decorated players in history, similar to Davids he is technique married with a tireless engine who offers slightly more in attack, a perfect compliment to an already stellar group
Zidane - He had everything, there is no shoe horning him in like he has been in previous drafts, here he plays as he should, between the lines with licence to drift, if he is to drift left as he was inclined to, he interchanges with Balakov taking his position centrally, an equally dangerous proposition. Arjen Robben offers almost unreal pace to the point he can give others a 3-4 yard start, the ability to beat a man either side off the dribble and can cut inside and provide a killer pass or launch a rocket of a shot off his left foot. His pace combined with Zidane's intelligence will cause havoc between the lines and Robben also can hold the width to provide variety.
Giuseppe Signori - 188 goals in 345 games at the height of Serie A and Italian defensive dominance tells you that he is a threat. with so much service behind him he will get opportunities and he will get goals.
Van Der Sar starts in goal, a master organiser of the defence and mainstay for Manchester United's most sustained period of success under Sir Alex Ferguson, he has the ever reliable Denis Irwin running the left flank all day, genuine under-appreciated world class on either flank and came out on top against virtually every winger he came up against. He locks down the left side with his running mate for so many years on that side Gary Pallister, extremely quick and an intelligent, technical user of the ball as well, he has the rare honour of being a defender named PFA Player of the year. Partnering him is Ciro Ferrara again, a technically accomplished, brave defender who was not lacking for pace either. Another great organiser of the defence who will keep a leash on young rookie Serge Aurier.

TEAM PACEME

My team is set up in a pretty simple 4-2-3-1. I will play a high tempo game to get the most out of my brilliant front line which has creativity and goals in abundance. Del Piero will have licence to cut in, safe in the knowledge that Abidal will stay back and cover for him. While on the the other side Figo and Ibarra will be a nightmare to defend against, creating massive overloads for their fullback to deal with. Redondo will be dictating the tempo and feeding my attackers while Cambiasso cleans up and gets stuck in to Stobz's players. I am aware that my defence is the weakest point in the team but I plan on dealing with that by pretty simply scoring more than stobz. Ibarra has licence to roam forward while Abidal will stay back and cover for Vidic and Koscielny when they move over to protect my more vulnerable right side.

@Stobzilla
@paceme

Last edited:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
pace is well beaten or contained across the pitch bar what Del Piero could do against Aurier, which isn't enough for me when I can hardly see him getting into any sort of sustained rhythm and posssession.

Stob looks odd upfront but that is exactly what it would be like with Signori and Zidane both well capable of working the left flank as and when. I'm not a huge fan of Davids seemingly being a pure DM there, would have gone with Verón as DLP myself with Davids-Seedorf ahead. May have even played Balakov, but I can see how this is the safer starting lineup and Balakov a good roll of the dice later if more risk-taking is required to secure a goal.

Stob, hands down for me.

antohan

i can't believe paceme's defence is still around
It's no worse than Stob's tbh.

Vidic is the best CB, but Koscielny the worst, it just happenes that the two middle ones are fine to try deal with Batistuta while Koscielny is a penalty waiting to happen against Robben cutting in, could see Robben/Signori outsmarting him at some point as well (e.g. a backpass or one of those "defender or keeper ball?" that ultimately sees the forward nick it).

Abidal and Irwin are fine leftbacks, and facing fine wingers, it's about level except that it hurts more when Abidal gets beaten (see above Koscielny vs. Robben). Ibarra and Aurier? Both out of their depth here really, but Aurier bound to be challenged more consistently by Del Piero.

Last edited:

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Gone for Stobz

I love the system and that middle five has a perfect blend of creativity, pace and pragmatism.

I think the interplay between Veron, Seedorf, Davids and Zidane will have Yaya chasing shadows which I don't think he has the mentality to deal with. I could see him getting very frustrated in this game. I really rate Vidic but Zidane and Robben getting in behind the midfield and running at him is a nightmare.

sajeev

It's no worse than Stob's tbh.

Vidic is the best CB, but Koscielny the worst, it just happenes that the two middle ones are fine to try deal with Batistuta while Koscielny is a penalty waiting to happen against Robben cutting in, could see Robben/Signori outsmarting him at some point as well (e.g. a backpass or one of those "defender or keeper ball?" that ultimately sees the forward nick it).

Abidal and Irwin are fine leftbacks, and facing fine wingers, it's about level except that it hurts more when Abidal gets beaten (see above Koscielny vs. Robben). Ibarra and Aurier? Both out of their depth here really, but Aurier bound to be challenged more consistently by Del Piero.
i guess i don't rate Vidic that highly

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Stobz writeup still has Balakov in it.
paceme has the old formation listed.

I can't post it. I'm on my phone. It basically just switches yaya with redondo. This is taking the piss tbh.
If this is to be, then I think you have the edge in this game. Zidane, Robben, Cambiasso and Redondo will pretty much be operating in the same area and that favours paceme imo. With Redondo and Rui Costa there, his team will not creativity in middle and Figo/DelP offers more of a threat from their positions. Overall I fancy his team to shade this.

antohan

@antohan @sajeev @bucky @Theon @MTR @Joga Bonito The actual formation has been updated so if you wanna reconsider your vote you have the unvote feature at your disposal.
Says the round one's fan :lol:

BTW, was Koscielny supposed to start right or left then?

Stobz actually offered a better formation than the one on the OP, Cambiasso should be on the left indeed.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Seriously has their been a better midfield than Stobs here?
It's pretty fan fecking tastic.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I had to go with Stob in the end, sorry paceme. I like a lot of your players, but I just don't like the role they're playing - especially Del Piero and Redondo. Great side though nonetheless.

antohan

While I mentioned earlier Koscielny was a penalty waiting to happen as soon as Robben beats Abidal, now he is on the other side the thought of Zidane and Signori waltzing around on that left side guarded by Ibarra and Koscielny is an even worse prospect.

Last edited:

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
While I mentioned earlier Koscielny was a penalty waiting to happen as soon as Robben beats Abidal, now he is on the other side the thought of Zidane and Signori waltzing around on that left side guarded by Aurier and Koscielny is an even worse prospect.
Ibarra.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
That fiver is in a brown envelope for you @rpitroda
:lol:

Stobz writeup still has Balakov in it.
paceme has the old formation listed.

If this is to be, then I think you have the edge in this game. Zidane, Robben, Cambiasso and Redondo will pretty much be operating in the same area and that favours paceme imo. With Redondo and Rui Costa there, his team will not creativity in middle and Figo/DelP offers more of a threat from their positions. Overall I fancy his team to shade this.
I'm not seeing this at all. Zidane, certainly, but not Robben, who will be peeling out to the touchline constantly to receive the ball. Redondo won't want to be following him out there constantly. Abidal is an excellent defensive left back to deal with that threat however. I'm leaning towards Stobz here, but Aurier vs Del Piero leaps out as a brutal weakpoint for him.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I'm not seeing this at all. Zidane, certainly, but not Robben, who will be peeling out to the touchline constantly to receive the ball. Redondo won't want to be following him out there constantly. Abidal is an excellent defensive left back to deal with that threat however. I'm leaning towards Stobz here, but Aurier vs Del Piero leaps out as a brutal weakpoint for him.
You are right. Robben will drift wide to pick up balls, but like with any double pivot, more so with someone positionally good as Redondo, he will not on his maximum efficiency, imo.

antohan

I'm not seeing this at all. Zidane, certainly, but not Robben, who will be peeling out to the touchline constantly to receive the ball. Redondo won't want to be following him out there constantly. Abidal is an excellent defensive left back to deal with that threat however.
I was baffled as well. Not just with regards to Robben, but it seems Davids and Seedorf just got summarily wiped out of the equation, which is bizarre.

I'm leaning towards Stobz here, but Aurier vs Del Piero leaps out as a brutal weakpoint for him.
That's a quite excellent choice of words :lol: Not enough, but has to be a major upgrade opportunity for Stobz. I've no idea what criterion needs tweaking but a RB, or a CB and Ferrara taking up RB is one to explore in detail going forward.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
I think Redondo had his hands full in the centre with Stobz's powerhouse midfield.
Redondo was not even that mobile anyway. Certainly not the player you want chasing Robben on the flanks.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I was baffled as well. Not just with regards to Robben, but it seems Davids and Seedorf just got summarily wiped out of the equation, which is bizarre.

That's a quite excellent choice of words :lol: Not enough, but has to be a major upgrade opportunity for Stobz. I've no idea what criterion needs tweaking but a RB, or a CB and Ferrara taking up RB is one to explore in detail going forward.
:lol: Cheers Anto. I think a Ferrara at RB and Robben at RW combo might have been in a previous draft actually. I'm a fan of Ferrara in that position. He played it often for Juve and played it well, and he's a good choice behind a winger who can do all the attacking on his own anyway.

I broke with tradition and gave Paceme a partially sympathy-motivated vote. Very surprised by how one-sided this was, so I chose to focus on the Del Piero effect.