Criteria Draft Round 3 [Semi-Final] - Aldo vs Stobzilla

Who would win this match with all players playing at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
TEAM ALDO

The formation has been altered to a 5-2-3 with the devastating trio of Rivaldo, Ronaldo and Hagi up front and a defense that is happy to see the addition of the legend Paolo Maldini.

Desailly will be using his great experience as both a CB and a DM to occupy that area between the lines of defense and midfield and cut out any dangers before they reach the penalty area. Maldini, possibly the greatest of all time to play as a left center back, will be performing that duty and tightening the screws from that area while Stam takes care of the right hand side. Harte and Neville have more freedom and less defensive responsibility knowing the cover they have behind them and will use their distribution, specially Harte to spray the ball around and support the midfield.

In midfield, Simeone's job is a bit more defensive than earlier and he will be using his bucketloads of energy, stamina and no nonsense approach to win the ball back with no time wasted. Having ample support from Basler alongside him, who will be responsible to use his creativity, technique and passing to move the ball forward and make sure the attack gets on it as much as possible. There's no need of hollywood balls seeing the nature of the attack, they'd keep it simple and allow the attack the freedom to do their thing.

In attack Rivaldo and Hagi will roam behind Ronaldo and provide quality creativity, dribbling, shooting and genuine match winning ability. Oh and Ronaldo, not much needs to be said. The greatest in his position, he'd be using his devastating dribbling, close control, shooting and link up play to capitalize on any chances possible. All three of them are very polyfunctional, capable of dropping deep or going into the box, shrugging off strong challenges and driving through towards goal, very capable of getting the goals with plenty of goals among themselves. Together they will wreck havoc in the final third.

Stob has a strong team but it is largely going to be working through the middle, and I have packed that area with immense quality from top to bottom. Desailly will provide an immense resistance for Zidane and Robben's area of functioning is cut out by Paolo Maldini giving Stam to cut out anything that leaks from that watertight unit. His central defense has a huge ask of keeping out my attack and will need help from the midfielders, allowing me space to work through the middle and find a way through to the goal. In an 1v1s between my attack and his defense, I have a good chance of coming on top and punishing it.

TEAM STOBZILLA

The players have been written and eulogised about more than enough, at this point in the draft there are no real "weaknesses" in either side to speak of.

I have had to go brave against the quality of Aldo's side and adopt a formation similar to Roma 2007. a 4-6-0 if you will. Zidane plays the free role, he will pop up all over the pitch between the midfield and defensive lines, getting the ball to his feet is of paramount importance. Signori plays the role of Vucinic, a striker equally at home on the left wing, he and Robben will get beyond Zidane into the box and Robben will hold width slightly more a la Mancini.

The pace married to a lack of fixed starting position will generate confusion in the defensive ranks, Seedorf provides further driving support from Midfield as will Davids to a lesser extent, Veron plays the DLP role a player who has all the quality to match the best of the position with an added bonus of physical presence, both in speed and size.

Irwin, as well as being a fantastic defender can get forward and provide width in the space vacated by Signori should he be cutting in, Pallister has covered this many a time and their communication will be key, Blanc is a world cup winning defender, like Pallister, a ball player who was also a rock in defence. Ferrara provides the balance on the right, he need not get forward as much and sits in to form an auxiliary back 3 at times.

Edwin van Der Sar completes the side, the archetypal modern goalkeeper. few, if any will get past him.

Good luck to Aldo.

Annahnomoss

Two very odd teams, it really is apparent what type of draft it was and how difficult the criterias were.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
No need for Stobz to change his tactics from last time IMO, I really loved that side whereas this is harder to envisage.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Blanc was a fantastic defender by the way.

Doesn't always seem to get the credit that Aldo's three do, but he comfortably belongs in that company.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Aldo was better off fielding 10 like

------------------Ronaldo--------------
--------Rivaldo-------------------------
-----------------Hagi------------------
---------------------------------------
------------Simeone-Basler-------------
Maldini-----Dessaily----Stam---Neville--

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It's hard to say what's going to be more defining. The problems that Ronaldo and Rivaldo will inevitably cause Pallister and Blanc. Or Simeone running around like the Duracell bunny trying to salvage a midfield against Veron, Davids and Seedorf.

I'm presuming the criteria restrictions are why Harte is still on the park getting eviscerated by Robben.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I like the uniqueness of Stob's approach, but I'm not sure what's gained by having Zidane as a false 9 instead of at the tip of the diamond. I know in practical terms there's a big crossover between the roles, but there's a difference too, and I'm not sure he's ever really suited to being the furthest man up the pitch with his back to goal. Maybe I'm misinterpreting the whole false 9 thing, as its quite a nebulous term at times.

Ultimately despite Stobz's substantial advantage in midfield, even with Zidane further up the pitch, I can se Aldo's team working more clearly. Stobz is likely to have noone at centre forward for large swathes of the match if I'm interpreting his tactics right, which allows Desailly to step into midfield a bit, and I fancy Maldini and Stam to hold a high-ish line very well, with Harte's presence mitigated by that extremely strong 3 man defence. I see Aldo having the superior goal threat too. Stobz has more possession, but Aldo scores more goals. Aldo by a goal or two imo.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Jaysus, it was only 7-5 to Aldo whenever I voted in the middle of the night. Unlucky Stobz, that was a great midfield you assembled, and its always nice seeing the likes of Iriwn and Pallister get a mention in these drafts.

Moby

Dick
Unlucky though, Stobz. I would go on to say I was lucky that you went in with a tactic that seemed to suit my formation a bit, if you had played the similar tactics you played in previous games could have been a different story. But what's the fun without trying new things.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Can't see Stobz' side. I find it hard to believe the scoreline is a good indicator here. On holidays, good luck with other semi and final chaps.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Unlucky though, Stobz. I would go on to say I was lucky that you went in with a tactic that seemed to suit my formation a bit, if you had played the similar tactics you played in previous games could have been a different story. But what's the fun without trying new things.
why would a tactic without classic central forwards be bad against a back3? Its the other way around. Usually I´d be doubtfully about his lineup but it would work wonders against your team.