Criteria Draft Round 3 [SF]: The Red Viper vs NoPace

Who would win this match with all players paying at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
@NoPace
@The Red Viper

TEAM TRV
THE TACTICS

We will play a 4-2-3-1 formation. We will play a deep backline to ensure we don't have much space beyond our backline for opposition's attack to exploit with their pace. Rogério CENI is the goalkeeper. The back four comprises of Marcos CAFU,Noureddine NAYBET, Fernando HIERRO and Siniša MIHAJLOVIĆ. Cafu and Mihajlović will be the full-backs. Cafu will play his natural role while Mihajlović would be more defensive minded. He would almost play as a third centre back. Similar to how Abidal played for Pep's Barcelona. Hierro would be the sweeper while Naybet would be the stopper. We will be playing a double pivot in midfield. Fernando REDONDO would play as the holding midfielder while Stefan EFFENBERGwould play as the box-box midfielder. Effenberg with his high energy and intensity would play his natural box-box midfielder role.

Juan MATA, KAKÁ, RONALDINHO and Thierry HENRY form the attacking quartet. Mata would play as the right sided attacking midfielder, in a role similar to David Silva when he operates down the right flank at Manchester City or he does for Spanish NT. Kaká would be the trequartista. Ronaldinho would play as the left sided attacking midfielder like he used to do for Barcelona in his heyday. Thierry Henry would lead the line. In Mata, Kaká, Ronaldinho and Henry, there are four attacking players who can penetrate any defence with pace, trickery, creativity and goals. All four are extremely comfortable on the ball and can retain the possession very well. At the same time in Henry and Kaká, we have two of the best counterattacking players of the modern era. With Hierro, Mihajlović and Redondo initiating counter-attacks from the back, Mata and Ronaldinho to provide the key pass, Kaká and Henry can run any defence ragged with their pace on counters. If NoPace decides to mark Kaká with Makelele, Kaká and Mata would swap their positions and make it difficult for Makelele.

For this game against NoPace, Cafu would play in a slightly reserved role as he would be up against Cristiano. Its impossible to completely shut someone of Cristiano's ability down but Cafu has the pace and power to keep him with Cristiano and restrict his influence. With us already playing a deep backline, there won't be much space behind our backline to exploit as well. If NoPace starts with Baggio/Messi in a central role, Redondo along with help from one of Naybet or Hierro would look to keep Baggio under check. Redondo's role is to ensure he cuts down the supply to Baggio which makes him to drop deep and whenever that happens, Effenberg will stay close to him denying him space and time on the ball. If NoPace starts with Messi out wide on the right, Redondo would always be there to help Mihajlović out by double teaming on Messi whenever he has the ball. Effenberg would keep a close eye on Hassler's and Schweinsteiger's runs into the box.

THE FORMATION

TEAM NOPACE
Basic Tactics:

-My back 7 will look to defend, win the ball and get it to one of my front 3 players and rampant destruction will follow. I don't really expect to or need to win possession, but I do expect to break up attacks better, create more chances with speed and precision, finish better and outscore TRV.

Why I'll score multiple goals:
-My front 3 is truly preposterous, and they should fit together beautifully with Baggio often dropping deep and wide and creating gaps for Messi and Cristiano to exploit coming inside. The threat of Cristiano aerially and Baggio's runs will give Messi incredible options. The link-play between the 3 should be phenomenal as well. TRV's defensive players - especially Hamman and Birindelli - will be in serious trouble dealing with their pace and skill.

-In their last 4 seasons in the CL, Messi has 43 goals in 41 game and Cristiano has 45 in 45. At the highest level, they retain their consistent record of being good for a goal a game each.

-Schweinsteiger and Hassler will link play with their energy and technical skills from Makelele, my athletic, ball-carrying central defenders and my fullbacks who are both fine passers of the ball. My entire back 7 are all good to great at winning possession and starting counters, particularly Makelele, Juanfran (watch Atletico, he's excellent at this) and Thiago Silva.

Why I won't concede more than one:
-I'll be defending narrowly as TVR has a technically skilled front 6 but no aerial threat and only Cafu as threat to hit a cross.

-The incredible ball-carrying/dribbling skills of Baggio, Messi and Cristiano mean that my back 7 can be more responsible and sit a bit deeper without sacrificing offensive threat. When Cafu goes forward and I get a chance to counter it'll be Ronaldo terrorizing a fairly slow Naybet.

-Schweinsteiger-Makelele remains an excellent defensive shield for my defense. Both Aldair and Thiago Silva are mobile and technically skilled, so good fits to deal with Henry and Kaka's running, unlike more plodding center-backs.

-Whenever one of Ronaldinho, Henry or Kaka look to come inside as they all preferred, Makelele will be there to help deal with them. Schweinsteiger and Hassler have the energy and intelligence to battle against TRV's midfield.

NoPace

Messi against Mihajlovic. :nervous:
And a nice pocket of space for Baggio to drop in and get the ball and run at Naybet and Hierro, with no specialized DM to stop him from getting the ball between the lines.

I think we both have strong teams and should score, but my attackers are simply better and whereas Makelele and my narrow defense should do okay against his team with his lack of aerial threat, Cristiano-Baggio-Messi will be too much on the break against defenders lacking in top pace like Naybet and Mihajlovic.

I sort of see TRV's team as similar to Citeh, with 2 very good all-around midfielders, a talented front 4, overlapping right back, dodgy left back and keeper but good center-back pairing with a star and a solid performer as his partner. But like Citeh, I think they're well-suited for racking up points against a variety of teams (Citeh in the Prem), but in a tough knockout-game (the CL), my dogged midfield and explosive attack will help me rip them apart on the counter.

3-1 for me with the 3rd coming in injury time on a counter as he searches for an equalizer and Messi, Ronaldo or Baggio exploit the space in behind.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
And a nice pocket of space for Baggio to drop in and get the ball and run at Naybet and Hierro, with no specialized DM to stop him from getting the ball between the lines.
Redondo was more than just a DM but he was a master at sitting infront of the defence and compressing the space. Yes, he would take the ball and make attacking runs if needed but that wasn't really something he did a lot. He was much more at home, sitting infront of the defence and orchestrating the play. Busquets comes to my mind as a player similar to his style of play.

3-1 for me with the 3rd coming in injury time on a counter as he searches for an equalizer and Messi, Ronaldo or Baggio exploit the space in behind.
Have clearly mentioned in my tactics that we won't play a deep backline to restrict the space behind our backline from getting exploited.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
I must say, I am surprised to see that you have dropped Rooney. You have Messi playing out wide which isn't an issue. He was brilliant in that role for Barcelona in Pep's first season during 2008-09 but you are playing him out wide in a false nine formation. When you are playing a false nine formation, you need players who would make runs beyond their marker. Cristiano would certainly do that. Messi can as well but you would be restricting his influence. Both Messi and Baggio like to be at the centre of the things and make the play.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
This is a real shame because I really like RVs side and NoPace actually doesn't look much better than when he started, just flashier.

That said, I couldn´t think of a worse recipe to stop NoPace's frontline than that backline. Messi will tear a new one into Mihajlovic, sure, but it gets worse when you think about him, and Baggio, and Cristiano, running at, around and behind Hierro and Naybet. Excellent defenders but there's a distinct lack of pace across the back 4 bar Cafú, who's bound to be caught upfield, or tracking back, but certainly not covering their arses when counters emerge.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
This is a real shame because I really like RVs side and NoPace actually doesn't look much better than when he started, just flashier.

That said, I couldn´t think of a worse recipe to stop NoPace's frontline than that backline. Messi will tear a new one into Mihajlovic, sure, but it gets worse when you think about him, and Baggio, and Cristiano, running at, around and behind Hierro and Naybet. Excellent defenders but there's a distinct lack of pace across the back 4 bar Cafú, who's bound to be caught upfield, or tracking back, but certainly not covering their arses when counters emerge.
This. Hierro and Naybet will compound one another's lack of pace and there's bugger all realistic cover.