Critics one sided in Benitez debate

thoward

It's not a lisp!
you make some really good points there....didn't owen leave that summer on a free tho to madrid?? they still had a really good defence and dudek was a better keeper than people give credit for.

i do think if benitez had another 30 million to spend this summer the league would be very very interesting though - thank god for hicks and gillet

i wonder if liverpool and chelsea's lack of spending is reflected in ours - our squad makes us favourites to win the league but if chelsea went out and got a ribery would we dip into the ronaldo money?
I suppose it's one thing having the money and another being able to actually get the players. In our case there are players that could improve us but they are either too expensive, they would prefer to stay where they are or go elsewhere, or Fergie, the coaching staff and the scouts may believe that they don't necessarily have the right ingredients to be a success in English football.But we are in a position to go out and spend big next summer if the need arises (unless of course the Glazers clamp down). I don't think Fergie would spend for the sake of it(the squad is as big as ever), I don't think he'd splash the cash just because others were doing it.When you think about over the years we have very rarely bought players from the really top teams, Hargreaves from Bayern and Veron from Lazio (and that was probably down to Lazio's debts and him facing a possible ban over a passport issue).

I think with Liverpool, they can't find it easy to attract the right players necessarily. They could do with a quality forward who could cover for Torres and perhaps at times play alongside him. However that player may not bewilling to spend time on the bench. Look at Robbie Keane, he arrived as a boyhood fan of the club and he plays for Ireland where his place has never really been under threat. And yet he still left about 6 months later.

Doevle

He's had more than 6 successes.

Alonso
Torres
Reina
Mascherano
Kuyt
Benayoun
Aurelio
Agger
Garcia
Arbeloa
Riera

are all players that are either successful signings, or we haven't had time to tell yet. Either way they're not failures.
Wasn´t Kuyt like one of the most lethal strikers in the Dutch league before he was converted into a defensive winger at Liverpool?

Suedesi

Loved this:

Pete: Give Fergusen that net outlay and see what he does.

Too right. Ferguson has always needed massive amount's of money to achieve success, just how much were for example: Schmeichel, Van Der Sar, Irwin, G Neville, P Neville, Johnsen, Evra, Beckham, Scholes, Butt, Fletcher, Giggs, Cantona, Solksjaer, Sheringham.
Then there's recent money, i.e. since the Glazers bought the club, money spent since 2005; approx 175 million. Money recouped since 2005; approx 160 million. WOW! Look at that! In the last 4 years Ferguson has spent about 15 million, or 3.75 million per season! What an over-rated manager and whats he won, eh? Just 3 nothing titles, 2 laughable league cups, 1 piddly meaningless champions league and 1 barely recognized World Club Cup.
Yes Ferguson has spent cash, but at no point in his reign, and this is important, have Man United been the biggest spenders. In the late 80's and early 90's it was Liverpool, (remember the likes of Scales, Babb, Dicks, Ruddock?), the mid 90's firstly Blackburn (Sutton, Batty, Shearer) then Newcastle (Ferdinand, Peacock, Albert, Batty, Asprilla, Shearer, Barton) outspent United. The late 90's even Arsenal spent more (Overmars, Petit, Vieira, Bergkamp cost 21 million), early 2000's Leeds then took over (Ferdinand, Fowler, Viduka) before Chelsea blew everyone away, I don't have to list their purchase's, and now it's City.
So take the Ferguson sized chip from your shoulder, be a man and admit he's the best manager around, eh?

AttackingFlair

Kuyt is a flop, was brought to score goals and turned into a defender who puts a shift in.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Christ... Lot of crap in this thread.

Kuyt is not a flop. He was the highest scoring winger behind ronaldo in the league last year and does great work in the buildup. More than worth his place in the first team.

Arbeloa was signed as a cheap squad player, ended up doing so well he grew into a decent firsteamer. He was sold for a pittance because he had one year left and wanted to go home last year, except he agreed to stay on for another season.

Aurelio is a quality player whenever he gets 4 weeks in the side to get his defending back up to scratch. How succesful his contribution has been might be weighted against his injury record but as a player, he was a good signing.

Garcia was second only to Gerrard as our best attacking player during our CL run in 05. That alone makes him a succes for the price, albeit not a resoundingly unqualified one.

Heskey was sold before Benitez arrived. Owen being sold was hardly his decision. Murphy, on being told the shocking news that afa didn't see him as a regular starter, wanted to leave. Kewell was shown a lot of faith by Rafa but in the end it only translated into 15 months of being a good player over four years with rafa. Without even going into the merits of Cisse as a player, he broke his leg twice in one year ffs. A theoretical contribution, even if he had stayed. Finnan had been quite frankly awful in his first season with us under houllier and only came into his own after rafa took over and likewise carragher's recognition as a genuine quality defender only came after he was moved into the centre by benitez and Henchoz was never used by benitez as he deemed him finished due to injuries.

That said, it is true that the team wasn't entirely a shambles and there was material to work with. Hamann was indeed incredibly underrated (second best signing Houllier ever made, imo), Carragher did grow into a great defender, same with Gerrard coming into his own as an attacking midfielder under houllier, Finnan turned into one of the best fullbacks in the league (tbf, he was quality for fulham before that as well), Hyypia is just an immense defender and Riise did do a good job for a few years.

Then again, if there was some material there for a top four team already, I think it would have been very difficult to cement our position in there over the past years for anyone, with the level being what it is (or was) at the top.

And yes, Benitez is no wenger in the transfer market. There's usually a fair correlation between price and quality in his signings.

Christofaux

Found this comment to be a chuckle

"How can Arsenal be at the top of any English list (never mind they are 99% foreigners) they have never even come close to winning the Champions League! Hence the gag: Q - What has Arsenal got in common with a three pin Plug? A - They are both completely useless in Europe!"
20 minutes wasn't close enough?

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Kuyt's definitely a success. Was fantastic for them last season, and been a solid contributor over the journey.

Riera, on the other hand, still has a bit to prove. Same too with Agger, though this is just a matter of actually getting out on the park, same too with Skrtl (or however you spell his name).

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
He's had more than 6 successes.

Alonso
Torres
Reina
Mascherano
Kuyt
Benayoun
Aurelio
Agger
Garcia
Arbeloa
Riera

are all players that are either successful signings, or we haven't had time to tell yet. Either way they're not failures.
To be honest, I don't think I'd put Aurelio, Agger and Riera up there.
Aurelio is a shite full back as we all know.
Agger was injured way too much to say that he was a success, mind you he is a good defender but to me he hasn't proved that he's top notch with one season without even getting injured.
Riera is just too left sided and to me only show glimpses of brillience in the first half of last season. Many occasion's we will see that he relies too much on his left foot when an easy right foot shot could have made him a star. 11m is an okay price but certainly not cheap.

thoward

It's not a lisp!
A more balance article on Benitez

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2009/aug/10/rafael-benitez-liverpool

Don Welsh is a name now forgotten by all but the most diehard Liverpool fans but the club's manager during its 1950s nadir was the last at Anfield to survive in his job after three successive trophyless seasons - a feat emulated by Rafael Benítez this summer. Not that Benítez's position is under threat. After fighting and winning battles against the owners, the chief executive and more than a dozen of the club's long-serving academy staff, he has established an impregnable position.

As he begins his new five-year contract the club's unpopular owners are too cowed by valid criticisms to exert control in any area other than the size of his transfer budget and Rick Parry, whose alleged caution scuppered Benítez's desire to meet Aston Villa's asking price for Gareth Barry last year, has cleared his desk.

The duties of the man the fans dubbed "Coco the Clown" have been temporarily assumed by the new managing director, Christian Purslow, a Spanish-speaking former season-ticket holder and Harvard Business School MBA who has already, it is said, struck up a good relationship with the manager. Good job, too, as Melwood stalwarts such as Steve Heighway, Hugh McAuley and Dave Shannon have found to their cost over the years. Disagree with the boss over policy and there has only ever been one winner. With the coup d'etat complete and the club being rebuilt to his model, no one stands in his path.

And the fans seem to like it that way. Apart from some disquiet about his fondness for deploying the prosaic Lucas - and Liverpool fans' loyalty to the incumbent manager in the past has not stopped Jamie Carragher and Ronnie Whelan becoming Main Stand scapegoats - the Spaniard sails along with the backing of those who go to games and the rabid support of the cyber warriors and massed ranks of phone-in Ra***ologists.

To them, of course, the pair of trophies he won on penalties in the first two years of his Anfield spell - the thrilling second-half revival against Milan in the 2005 Champions League final and the comeback from two down against West Ham to win the FA Cup - make him immune to criticism. The odd selection mistake, costly and imprudent purchase, overly cautious approach against demonstrably inferior teams or obdurate adherence to a hole-strewn zonal-marking system scarcely make a dent in their icon. In his defence, every manager has flaws and blindspots and his are no more flagrant than his contemporaries' but his tendency in his public pronouncements to flit between mordancy and monotony has given him a reputation for petulance that is difficult to disregard.

His scorn for Everton - the "small club" slur from two years ago and likening them to Extremadura last season - might be written off as barbs in a long-established city rivalry were it not for the disdain with which they were said. Similarly, his handling of the press conference immediately after the news broke that Tom Hicks and George Gillett had sounded out Jürgen Klinsmann as a possible replacement in 2007, was an object lesson in churlishness. Having been upbraided by the owners for his outspokenness about a lack of funds to invest in players, he responded to every single question with: "As always I am focused on training and coaching my team." Again, it could have been funny had it not been delivered with the curled-lip and deliberately heavy-handed sourness of a schoolkid who wants everyone to know they are making a point.

His spat last season with Sir Alex Ferguson was excusable in that it came after he was provoked by the usual post-Christmas mind-games charade of the Manchester United manager. Holed up at home with kidney stones, Benítez seems to have collated a dossier of United's transgressions and he ran through their catalogue of referee-intimidation with barely concealed ire. To some his rising to United's bait played directly into Ferguson's hands but that depends on whether you believe that old claim that Ferguson's mind games are effective. What is sure, though, is that it gave the United manager the ammunition to portray Benítez as unhinged and his quip that he "would need to read more of Freud" before he could understand his rival's thrust was a sharp rejoinder that left the Spaniard looking small when Liverpool failed to hang on at the top of the table.

The title was theirs for the taking. All the spoils from four league games against Manchester United and Chelsea were won and draws home and away against Arsenal meant they comfortably topped the big-four table. But the old problems of a team set-up for Champions League football surfaced in seven home draws when an instinctive dependence on counter-attacking was stymied by a lack of adventure from the home side and the visitors. In the spring the goals came by the bucketload as his perfected and cherished 4-2-3-1 system bore fruit but by then it was too late.

Keeping his key midfielders out of the clutches of Spanish predators has been Benítez's key priority this summer but he has also spared the time to lambast Barry's greed for choosing Manchester City over Liverpool. He can't help himself. Ask him a question and if there's a point to be scored he'll usually oblige. It has served him well during his internal battles. He has got the club in one hand and the fans eating out of the other, but now it is time to deliver.

p_ps_sock

Here you go: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article6789124.ece

I just find it incredible that he puts a team that won one championship and nothing else, set no records in terms of goals scored or points, and failed to repeat their success at all is rated above two United teams who won three championships in a row and European cups and other domestic cups, above a Chelsea team that won it twice in a row and of course this is not mentioning any Liverpool team.

He is a complete imbecile, an impression I must say which is only strengthened by watching him struggle to string a coherent sentence together on that god awful show the Sunday Supplement.
he even manages to contrdict himself in the space of a couple of sentences, liverpools 87-90 is only listed 5th because they never got a chance to show what they can do in europe, yet arsenal are 1st despite getting that chance and failing miserably

also our 95-01 listing can't be counted as one team, the buys at the start of the treble season completely changed the team.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Agger was injured way too much to say that he was a success, mind you he is a good defender but to me he hasn't proved that he's top notch with one season without even getting injured.
He wasn't injured in his first full season with us and was perhaps our best player that year.

Riera is just too left sided and to me only show glimpses of brillience in the first half of last season. Many occasion's we will see that he relies too much on his left foot when an easy right foot shot could have made him a star. 11m is an okay price but certainly not cheap.
It was 8m, but even then it's been a mixed bag so far.

Flying Fox

Agger's good for scoring cracking goals though...that one at Blackburn was pretty good, even if it was against Blackburn.

Was it him or Aurelio who scored a cracker in their first game?