"Cross me and you die!"

032Devil

Sir Alex Ferguson warns Manchester United stars: Cross me and you'll die | Mail Online

Sir Alex Ferguson warns Manchester United stars: cross me and you'll die
By SPORTSMAIL REPORTER

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson had lifted the lid on his no-nonsense managerial style by revealing he warns his multi-million pound stars: cross me and you're dead.

The fiery Scot, renowned for his infamous 'hairdryer treatment' of under-performing players, insists he has to keep control of the Old Trafford dressing room.

And the only way of doing that, according to the 68-year-old, is by ruling with an iron fist.

Speaking at a lecture in Dublin, the United boss said: 'If I lose control of these multi-millionaires in the Manchester United dressing room then I'm dead. So I never lose control. If anyone steps out of my control, that's them dead.'

'Through my development, I've come across two issues - power and control.
'Control is important, very, very important. My control is the most important thing.'

United darlings Roy Keane, David Beckham and Ruud van Nistelrooy have all been forced out of Old Trafford after locking horns with Ferguson.

And Portuguese winger Nani looks destined to be the Scot's latest victim, after blasting Ferguson's regime back in November.

'He is a very complicated guy,' Nani said. 'He's tough. If things are OK, he will be OK, but if there is anything he believes to be wrong, you are screwed. He can go from complimenting you to just plain trashing in a couple of minutes. Has it happened to me? Hell, yes. He'll say "Nani, how could you miss this or this?'

The United winger has featured for the first-team just twice since his outburst and looks set to be moved on in the summer.

Meanwhile, Ferguson was also quick to dismiss rumours of boardroom unrest by insisting the buck stops with him, and not the owners.

Ferguson said: 'My control is the most important thing. The most important person in Manchester United is the manager.

'I always thought that when I became a manager - and I experienced this in Aberdeen - I had too much control.

'I was doing everything - ordering the pies, looking after the programmes. It was getting me nowhere.

'What happens is that you do too much and then you don't do the important things.

'Then, the directors start to say 'He's too big for his boots' and stuff like that.'

Great Hat

Can't argue with any of that particularly. Any manager should keep his players in line and not let them get away with thinking they own the place, like a lot of players do nowadays with the wages and celebrity press they get.

Nobody is bigger than the club, and that's a stance Ferguson's always taken, for better, and occasionally for worse. Interesting, the forceful tone of some of those comments though.

Tibs

Maybe this is how Fergie threatened Obi Mikel

ooeat0meoo

Member of the Muppet Empire
My Happy Place - So Don't Be fecking With Me!
The sad thing is if a player grows sick of the sad state of affairs at OT, all he has to do is whisper something that goes against the grain and it's a free ticket out.
I can imagine one or two might just do that. (*cough*Anderson*cough*Nani*cough*)

mungy

I am a terrible poster, please ignore me
Fergie is the man and anybody that disagrees is wrong!

Fact.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Wouldn't want it any other way. The manager has to be in complete control, until such time comes that it becomes obvious he isn't the right man for the job. At which time, he needs to be replaced by another manager, who is once again given complete control.

I'd hate if we had a situation like what Terry seems to have at Chelsea or Raul at Madrid. Even Keane at his best would never have dared to truly lock horns with Fergie.

And Portuguese winger Nani looks destined to be the Scot's latest victim, after blasting Ferguson's regime back in November.

'He is a very complicated guy,' Nani said. 'He's tough. If things are OK, he will be OK, but if there is anything he believes to be wrong, you are screwed. He can go from complimenting you to just plain trashing in a couple of minutes. Has it happened to me? Hell, yes. He'll say "Nani, how could you miss this or this?
Yes, he truly does look like he's 'blasting' Fergie there. :rolleyes: