Cup Winners Cup final 30 years ago today.

always_hoping

May 15th 1991 in Rotterdam

A 2-1 win against a Barcelona side that won the La Liga that season and would go on to win the European Cup the following season.

Nothing but fond memories of that cup run/win and it was very pleasing the FA Cup success of 1990 was backed up and from there thanks to some shrewd signings and the class of 92 breaking through it proved to be a glorious few decades ahead.

stevoc

They should have brought the Cup Winners Cup back instead of this Europa Conference thing.

acnumber9

They should have brought the Cup Winners Cup back instead of this Europa Conference thing.
Nice idea, but cup winners are rarely not in the Champions League so would end up a little pointless.

redrobed

I was 18 months old - it’s my earliest memory and the reason I support us to this day. What a night.

Dr. Mowinckel

It doesn't really make much sense with the modern format of the Champions League though, since a lot of cup finals feature two teams that both qualify for the Champions League.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
One of my favourite games... some highlights below but dont do it justice. I've got the entire game on DVD and watched it a few times.

Barca had a good team (as the op suggests) given their success that year/next. Koemans and Laudrup the stand outs and Sergio Busquet's dad in goal.... thankfully he wasn't as good as his son. He made Sealey look a calm goalie.

Saw an interview with Robson once... said he thought this was one of his best games (when most people remember another Barca game).

Hughes, not quite a great goalscorer... but a scorer of great goals. I can't think of another player who scores that second goal like he did. Memorable commentary...

Good times.

stevoc

Nice idea, but cup winners are rarely not in the Champions League so would end up a little pointless.
It doesn't really make much sense with the modern format of the Champions League though, since a lot of cup finals feature two teams that both qualify for the Champions League.
That's probably only the case in the 3-4 top leagues though.

But yeah with some countries having 4 teams in the CL a CWC revival probably isn't viable.

GueRed

I remember watching this in my mate's pub and another couple of friends.

On the back of an FA Cup win the season before, didnt think it could get even better..

Happy days.

Robertd0803

Remember it as a young kid and falling in love with United. Still wonder sometimes how Hughes scored from that angle.

Iron

The competition could be revived as a paralel turnament, where teams could participate in both CL/EL and Cup winners cup. However in order to free up the calendar, all cup winners will not participate in their main domestic cups the following season. Winners of CWP will also get CL qualification pot 1, participate again as title defenders and be involved in the supercup. Competition starts with the last 32 teams as direct ko, home and away, all random seeded. Before that some qualification rounds. All countries will have one entry, except the country that wins it, in wich case will have two. The entire roster of the competition will change every year.